• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I'm playing is...

#3521 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Ok, so decided to try out Heavy Rain, and I ended up finishing it. It does have some harrowing moments, but those gems are an island in a game that is otherwise pretty mediocre. I get that its appeal is probably for a narrow audience. I'm all for QTE'ing through an 'interactive movie', but damn there's times where it is a lot of overkill and times where it was outright broken. I had the experience on a number of occasions where I definitely hit the correct button in well enough time, but it still didn't register. Not sure if that was due to the game forcing some sequence or that it was actually broken. In any event, it really aggravated me. Also, just walking around, exploring and finding something for the player to interact with became tedious at times (the night club chapter where you walk through a throng of people dancing to headache inducing techno music almost made me rage quit). The story is alright on the whole, but there are some glaring problems. I don't feel like spoil tagging and listing those out, but if you've played the game, I'm sure you've concluded the same. I'm guessing some of that is due to the ambitious attempt to create an interactive movie and keeping the plot lines cohesive as decisions the player makes branches the story down a different path . Overall, I had some fun (it kept me engaged enough to finish) but at the competition I sort of felt like I could have spent that time doing something else. After finishing, I googled and peaked a the possible endings, I actually had one of the better ones. Some of the endings are downright grim.

So onto Detroit: Become Human. Based on the positive remarks here, I am looking forward to starting the game.

#3522 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

Bought STARDEW VALLEY (only $19) and I'm about 10 days into my first spring and it's one of the most wonderful games I've EVER played. Most of the games I play stress me out to a bad degree....but the worst I have to worry about in this one is staying out too long and exhaustedly passing out and paying the doctors bill/finders bill the next day....otherwise, my gods how have I not played this before. It's simply lovely in every respect. The top-down old school RPG pixelated look makes me feel so at home since I grew up playing this exact look of game. Solid purchase.

EDIT: Though, the first Egg Festival happened and I had entered the screen with a full slotted inventory (I need to save up for that 2000g inventory upgrade man; see also not knowing that you could put a chest in your place to keep extra shit... #NewbieProblems)...so I could not buy Strawberry seeds because the Egg Festival screen does not let you access your inventory so I could ditch something to accommodate it...ARG! Oh well, next year I guess.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3523 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Next year indeed.

The best tip I can give you is that there's no rush. There's certain quest items, mainly related to the citizen center or what ever it's called, that you can only get or complete in certain seasons but you have all the time in the world.

#3524 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostAptorian, on 06 August 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

Next year indeed.

The best tip I can give you is that there's no rush. There's certain quest items, mainly related to the citizen center or what ever it's called, that you can only get or complete in certain seasons but you have all the time in the world.

Indeed, thanks. I checked out a Reddit Wiki on things to know at the start and it seems everything can be done and there is very few missables. I did note that someone told me to fix the bridge down by the sea right away because it allows access to the tide pools and thus some gold-worthy coral and such (this was a great thing to do), but otherwise I'm taking my time and just enjoying the immersion. Addictive doesn't even begin to describe it though...I'm at work and all I can think about is getting to play tonight. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3525 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:25 AM

I love Stardew Valley. Poured a lot of hours into that meditation simulator.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3526 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:23 AM

I can also recommend My Time at Portia which is a sorta 3D Stardew Valley but not quite. It doesn't have the same charm but it expands upon some of the ideas of Stardew.

#3527 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Stardew update: Not at all sure how I'm doing in general, but I'm through my first Spring, have done one of the bundles for the Greenhouse (and well on my way to a second bundle; hoping to get this done before my first winter) and I was sitting at about 6000g before I bought summer seeds. I also nabbed a rare seed from the Travelling Cart which I hear harvests the biggest monetary payout in the game and takes 24 days to grow. Adopted a dog, named her Minna (after the wolf in Ryria books), and romanced the shit out of Emily (she's had a dream about me now). Placed a chest and a furnace at the mine entrance to make smelting it all into bars easier/faster, and I'm almost at lvl10 in the mines. My main year one goal is getting that greenhouse before winter.

I still SUUUUUUUUCK at fishing though. LOL

#3528 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

I remember fishing being relatively easy? You can get bait by building crab pots in your farms nearby lake or stream or what ever map you're playing on.

#3529 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 August 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

I remember fishing being relatively easy? You can get bait by building crab pots in your farms nearby lake or stream or what ever map you're playing on.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, practice and all that.

#3530 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

I finished my first run through of Fire Emblem: Three Houses the other day. It's a fantastic game, easily my second favourite so far on Switch (behind BotW), but I liked some of the older Fire Emblem games more (there's less messing around between missions in older games, for a start). I was tempted to dive straight back in and play one of the other houses (I went with Blue Lions first off). There was a plot development at the end that kind of came out of nowhere and I'm wondering if it's explained in the stories of the other houses (seems likely as I noticed there were still quite a few locked cut scenes in the movie gallery). But I'm probably going to either finish FE:Fates or replay Path of Radiance (Gamecube) and Radiant Dawn (Wii), as they were the pinnacle of the series prior to Awakening.

#3531 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

Played some hours of Control. It's good and weird. The combat isn't particularly outstanding just yet though the telekinesis ability is satisfying. The lore and atmosphere is phenomenal though.

#3532 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

Got back into Valkyria Chronicles 4 after a few months away from it. Want to finish it before playing more Fire Emblem. Also heading toward the end of Ocarina of Time 3D (currently in the Spirit Temple). Hoping I can finish it before Astral Chain lands on Friday but it's too good a game to rush it so probably won't happen.

#3533 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:47 PM

Finally got around to playing breath of the wild. It is as good as they say. Although I find I die often from the learning curve. Will I be able to swim across that river without dying, will have to try to find out.

#3534 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

I did something shameful. I ordered an early access game, which is even worse than pre-ordering but Hades by supergiant games is absolutely fantastic and exactly the game I need right now.

Runs can last anywhere from 5-20 minutes. Its rogelite and I think the emphasis is on the light. The gameplay is similar every time so you can easily learn the skills you need and they transfer to your next run, their is never any ridiculous punishment for making the wrong choice of door just to screw a play over. Their are multiple currencies and some last only for the current run and others stay with you between runs to buy permanent bonuses. Their are five types of weapons, with different playstyles and each run will evolve that weapon with different buffs and attack types to make each run also a little unique.

Fun little game. Well worth the ten dollars at early access already.

#3535 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:53 AM

Age of Wonders Planetfall is pretty fun. A 4x game I can easily play on the PS4. Looks pretty, plays well, and combat is an xcom like affair.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3536 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

When it comes to super giant I think it's a safe investment.

#3537 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Played a few hours of Astral Chain yesterday. Holy fuck. I'm calling it now: Game of the Year. It is STUNNING.

#3538 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

Isn't it some weird weaboo game?

#3539 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Gaaaah, always have trouble posting videos on here Posted Image

I guess it depends on your definition of a 'weird weaboo game' :lol: It's by the people who made Bayonetta and Nier Automata, so awesome, stylish combat, visuals, soundtrack etc. But hey, see for yourself:

#3540 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

Since I'm quite excited about GreedFall, I finally started "Bound By Flame". After 6 hours and many deaths, picking "Hard" difficulty feels like a mistake. The combat is kicking my ass, especially if I try to use heavy weapons- the Ranger build has a better parry, so I'm mostly sticking with that.

The story is fairly generic- lo-fantasy setting, bunch of necromancers trying to conquer the world with an undead army, desperate band of survivors trying to stop them/survive. Still, the enemy designs are pretty good.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 237 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users