• You cannot reply to this topic

The game I'm playing is...

#4681 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 August 2023 - 05:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 August 2023 - 05:33 PM, said:

Baldurs Gate remastered

You know Baldur's Gate 3 (full version) released a few hours ago.

Curious to see how Assassin, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Lore Bard mechanics are implemented, especially for multi-class. In EA subtle spell didn't allow casting from stealth. But it's easy to get surprise---probably not in most 'boss fights' though, so 3 levels of rogue for Assassin might be wasted in more difficult fights. And if you have to conserve spellcasting, even as sorcerer, it might not be too helpful in blowing through easier encounters quickly either.

If I do end up playing I'll probably focus on rp and aim for a single playthrough with maximal dialogue options. But I spend enough time procrastinating as it is....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 03 August 2023 - 05:42 PM

#4682 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 August 2023 - 06:52 PM

Baldur's Gate 3. I'll start playing once the house move is complete, as a treat :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#4683 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:22 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 03 August 2023 - 05:41 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 03 August 2023 - 05:33 PM, said:

Baldurs Gate remastered

You know Baldur's Gate 3 (full version) released a few hours ago.

Curious to see how Assassin, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Lore Bard mechanics are implemented, especially for multi-class. In EA subtle spell didn't allow casting from stealth. But it's easy to get surprise---probably not in most 'boss fights' though, so 3 levels of rogue for Assassin might be wasted in more difficult fights. And if you have to conserve spellcasting, even as sorcerer, it might not be too helpful in blowing through easier encounters quickly either.

If I do end up playing I'll probably focus on rp and aim for a single playthrough with maximal dialogue options. But I spend enough time procrastinating as it is....

Boo, Lore Bard's level 6 Magical Secrets are limited to a tiny selection of spells. (In 5e they're allowed to choose from any spells from any class (below the level threshold).) Same probably applies to higher level magical secrets (might not even have Wish as an option...). And no ranger or paladin spells. Not fun. I've seen a bunch of claims that bard is powerful as a support class and for avoiding combat. But staying out of range and buffing/debuffing a little in combat while doing little else doesn't seem like much fun, and won't help much if you're ever forced to fight without a party; and apparently you get less exp (and less loot) for avoiding combat by talking your way out of conflicts.

Sorcerer's subtle spell apparently still won't allow casting from stealth (unlike in 5e). Drastically reduces the appeal of sorcerer rogue.

They did add 'Assassin's alacrity' (not in 5e) as a level 3 asassin ability---but apparently it only applies if you attack to initiate combat. So it doesn't help assassin be useful in 'boss' fights that start immediately after dialogue. Maybe surprise isn't as common as I thought if they felt the need to give assassins an extra bonus for balance.... OTOH unlike in 5e assassins apparently don't get 'disguise kit' and 'poisoners' kit' at level 3, so that might explain it. Poison seems more fun and more useful than 'assassin's alacrity'. While disguise kit might be harder to fit into a video game, it's not hard to think of some possible implementations (one of the most obvious being bonus to certain charisma checks; another might be making hostiles less likely to notice you out of combat or target in combat, or decreasing the radius in which they will, especially if disguise is extended to camouflage).

And barbarian druids in wildshape form can't rage (unlike in 5e). No raging cat... though I am amused that the cat skills are listed as "Claws, Meow".

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 August 2023 - 12:31 PM

#4684 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 August 2023 - 06:53 PM

The ghost ship level in the new Blasphemous DLC is a PITA. The snake boss was okay tho.

Went thru the cathedral bosses, forgetting what's next. Not sure how to start the NG+ content specifically, either. *shrug*
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4685 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

Wow, I managed to waste hours on BG3 (and not get to sleep until at least 3 hours later than I planned to) without actually playing the game. Theorycrafting virtually took control of my brain. Favorite thing I came up with: since Great Old One Warlock fear on crit allows no saving throw + affects all in the area of the struck enemy and Assassin ambush gives auto-crit on all successful attack rolls (including spells) against surprised on the first turn, as GOO Assassin you can position your imp near an enemy X you can't hit and whose saving throws are too good for your spells, then attack your own imp with any spell or ability that has an attack roll to apply Fear to X, making them easier to hit with subsequent spells that require ability checks. With Fighter Action Surge you can cast a second spell (or attack) with ambush auto-crits, then with assassin's alacrity you get another action and bonus action. Foresaking the imp to only put 1 in GOO one could do GOO Assassin Fighter Sorcerer (1 / 3 / 2 / 6)... with Sorcerer Metamagic applying Twinned Spell, Extended Spell, and Careful Spell (so your (negative) AoE effects don't affect allies). Of course it would probably be better to just do 12 sorcerer or the conventional gloomstalker assassin battle master (for precision attack passive to be sure you hit and maybe sweeping strike for hitting 2 enemies / attack or trip attack for prone and extra damage)... but GOO Assassin Battle Master does seem like fun, at least conceptually.

In practice apparently there's an item one of the early companions has that
Spoiler
OTOH if you use GOO Assassin to instill Fear in an enemy that's much more powerful than you and it has ranged attacks
it might just turn around and quickly destroy you....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 August 2023 - 03:11 PM

#4686 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 August 2023 - 11:24 PM

For BG3 I have calculated:

How to get 18 weapons attack in a single round, all of which auto-crit on hit

How to get AC 50+ while getting a free attack whenever an enemy misses you in melee (up to 4 times / round, and have it reset four times per combat), all while completely naked

How to give a single character the best Sorcerer metamagic, the best Lore Bard abilities, Magical Secrets, *and* all Wizard spells available from scrolls (even those of highest level) while casting as powerfully as any Wizard (granted that last one is pretty obvious---even more obvious is how to get the most powerful Cleric or Druid spells *and* the most powerful Wizard spells available from scrolls...)

... and I still don't plan on actually playing the game.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 August 2023 - 11:25 PM

#4687 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:38 PM

Beat the stupid bloodstained time trials again.

Beat both new DLC bosses and got a pretty cool Sword Heart reward for my troubles.

Chipping away at the extra NG+ bosses now.

#4688 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:11 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 August 2023 - 11:24 PM, said:

How to get AC 50+ while getting a free attack whenever an enemy misses you in melee (up to 4 times / round, and have it reset four times per combat), all while completely naked

How to give a single character the best Sorcerer metamagic, the best Lore Bard abilities, Magical Secrets, *and* all Wizard spells available from scrolls (even those of highest level) while casting as powerfully as any Wizard (granted that last one is pretty obvious---even more obvious is how to get the most powerful Cleric or Druid spells *and* the most powerful Wizard spells available from scrolls...)

The game is pretty good as well, do recommend. Lost 20 hours to it last few days. Some really nice level design for this type of game. I'd say the underdark maps are among the most gorgeous in any game of this type I've played. Creating maps you frequently want to explore just to see what is around the corner. Also very few "trash" fights at least half the fights are complicated and a few per zone are how "how the hell is this even possible" until you re-load and think through them. If there is anything wrong with it, it is probably that you don't feel a real time or resource pressure. You have basically infinite rest and the most valuable resources seem to be good potions and scrolls which are very useful.

Surprised you can make so powerful builds I frequently feel like 5ed rules make characters feel very weak compared to old d&d, I'm running a face/skills main character however and running the companions as intended with a few obvious changes to spells and subclasses and only the fighter feels powerful with haste/elixir of bloodlust sometimes somehow doing about six attacks a turn but dealing anemic damage compared to what one is used to. Still without a Cleric (Bless) and a Bard (Bardic Inspiration and Sword Song) the damage dealers would just miss most of the time and I don't really see how they can do anything about it.

Also the 5ed rules are better than 3ed balance wise but the character development is rather boring, I'd like at least one choice per level not just you get a spellslot...it is bad bad game design.

This post has been edited by Chance: 10 August 2023 - 10:32 AM

#4689 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:56 PM

View PostChance, on 10 August 2023 - 10:11 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 August 2023 - 11:24 PM, said:

Still without a Cleric (Bless) and a Bard (Bardic Inspiration and Sword Song) the damage dealers would just miss most of the time and I don't really see how they can do anything about it.

Fighter has Precision Attack (level 3 / Battle Master, 4 / short rest) and Archery (+2 to ranged attacks), Barbarian has Reckless Attack (level 2), Warlock has Devil's Sight+Darkness (at Warlock level 3) (+ other debuffs + if your debuffs can't hit then as I mentioned before you can use Great Old One with auto-crit (from Assassin or
Spoiler
) to attack your own familiar or summons and cast AoE Fear that has no saving throw)). Plus of course you can get Advantage from terrain (higher ground etc.) or attacking from stealth or invisibility.

Also while it only lasts 1 turn you can dip 2 into War Domain Cleric for Channel Divinity: Guided Strike (+10 to attack rolls), as well as using bonus actions to make weapon attacks (once / cleric level). And the extra attack from Deepened Pact stacks with Extra Attack in BG3. So assuming Guided Strike doesn't consume a bonus action (not sure about that), 5 Battle Master / 5 Pact of the Blade / 2 War Domain could attack (regular + Extra Attack + Deepened Pact attack + bonus action attack + Action Surge attack =) 5 times with +10+1d8 to attack rolls on the first four and +10 on the last one. (If you also take the Great Weapon Mastery feat and you kill an enemy with one of your strikes you get an additional extra attack.) If your Bard then uses Song of Rest to restore Action Surge and the Battle Master maneuvers you can attack another 5 times in your second turn with +1d8 on the first four.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 August 2023 - 12:58 PM

#4690 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:40 PM

Finished the NG+ for Blasphemous with all the DLCs
Actually beat the 8-bit minigame this time.
The final bosses weren't really that tough. Crisanta's second form was annoying on a laptop keyboard, but when I started playing at home, it went swimmingly.

Stoked to play the sequel next week.

#4691 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:04 PM

I was so-so on Balsphemous 2. mid-air weapon switching to deal with obstacles is so-so.

Then I got the double-jump, and it's SO GOOD.

#4692 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:04 AM

View PostAptorian, on 02 August 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

I tried out Techtonica briefly. It's a cool concept but I didn't get too far into the tutorial before quitting. It's way too obtuse . Menus upon menus with weird things that are not described properly.

Been playing Diablo on and off the past three weeks. It's fun but not quite as all consuming as I'd have hoped. I don't like that the enemies level along with you. It ruins the Power fantasy and the feeling of progressing.

There's also just something about the damage tuning that I don't like. It's not fun that my beefy barbarian has to hit trash mobs 5-10 times to kill them. When I bash a goblin I want it to burst into ketchup.

I think the narrative and game world presentation is pretty bad as well, but what ever. I whirlwind and stuff dies.

I suppose having played lots of Dyson Sphere Program, Techtonica just made a lot of sense. It's a denser, rustpunk version of DSP.

I played through a Chilla's Art horror game called Parasocial last night and needless to say I am now looking at my Twitch channel and wondering where my life went wrong. That game was all kinds of fucked up.

Also been playing Prodeus; a fun boomer shooter throwback and really what Doom 2016 should have been (i.e. FUN). Also hilarious OTT with the blood and gore.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4693 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 August 2023 - 09:00 PM

FF16... Well this is certainly a cinematic spectacle with good combat thrown in once you get used to it. About ten hours in and really enjoying it.

Definitely a different feel to it than other entries into the series.

Negotiating the map is similar to FF13 and its level approach before the openworld kicked in.

Combats easiest comparison is a more basic version of DmC series I guess. But then the Summom battles enter the fray and it's like 3D King of Monsters set battle with quicktime thrown in. When these really get going you don't want to blink in case you miss any of the holyshit that is going on, on the screen.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4694 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 August 2023 - 07:12 PM

Feels like I'm at the final stretch of Blasphemous 2, but I'm missing a whole loads of stuff, so will need to start backtracking.

#4695 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 September 2023 - 04:55 AM

Started up Starfield this morning. Spent 10 minutes playing the opening story and then about 30 minutes deciding what haircut and jaw size my character needed.

I've created a young looking mix between Kurt Russell and Hugh Jackman, with an epic mullet and scruffy beard.

#4696 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 11 September 2023 - 04:50 PM

I'm trying out Starfield, and I absolutely do not understand the principle behind the "minimum required system specifications."

My computer technically does not meet the minimum requirements, but I can run the game quite well on at least medium graphical settings.

I don't get it.

Mind, I'm not complaining, but I really don't get it.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4697 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 October 2023 - 04:08 AM

Bought "Kingdom Shell" last night. It's a very classic, by-the-numbers pixel art fantasy metroidvania. I played the demo a while back, and found it to be a really neat palate cleanser. On top of which, it's a solo dev project, and it's plays very well so far, without any issues.

Beat 3 bosses and unlocked 1 extra ability so far. It's on the easy side, but sometimes it's nice to play something where you don't die every 2 minutes.

#4698 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 October 2023 - 06:22 AM

Ooh
Steam NextFest time!

#4699 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 12 October 2023 - 01:45 AM

Just a bunch of Twillight Imperium lately.

Picked up a gaming laptop for baldurs and Diablo..but boy videos don't capture me like they used too.

Angband though..always will love me some angband. Gosh I just started playing angband and gemstone 3 around the same time.OG mud player
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#4700 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 October 2023 - 07:17 AM

Up to 1-5 Rise from the Ashes on Ace Attorney. It's always been a little silly but this case kind of takes the biscuit for the greatest leaps in logic the game is expecting me to take so far.

It also seems to require that I treat the Judge as an idiot. Which is against EVERY professional instinct I have. Granted, the in-game Judge is a bit dense, but...

Despite the logic issues and occasional 'random bullshit GO' puzzle solutions, I am having a lot of fun with it.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 238 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users