• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I'm playing is...

#3801 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

There's so many creative ways you can take out groups of enemies in BotW it's ridiculous. So much fun Posted Image

#3802 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

View PostSerenity, on 26 May 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

There's so many creative ways you can take out groups of enemies in BotW it's ridiculous. So much fun Posted Image

Ohh yes. I'm just starting to really settle into this - and beginning to see the appeal. Not that I didn't believe it would be good, but a lot of rave reviews I've had or read are from people who have don't have other consoles, have never played the likes of HZD, and are also die hard Zelda fans.

So I was a little sceptical, and on first impression it does seems to be Zelda 'upgraded' to the non Nintendo console market; open world, 'towers' like AC, HZD, Farcry.

Last night something changed. Might have been when I realised I could shield surf down the mountain. Or when I stood by the broken fountain in front of the Temple of Time, and realised that I was standing where the town was in Ocarina.

Getting into the flow of finding new weapons to replace worn ones, and getting more inventive with the camps. The climbing is good, knocking trees down to make bridges is fun, and it's great that they finally replaced the main tools but have kept the structure that means you have to use certain ones to solve certain puzzles.

I may have to get a pro controller though, these joycons are killing me.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3803 User is offline   Incredible Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

Definitely get a pro controller it's as good as Xbox and PS4

#3804 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

I love playing it handheld, but the pro controller is fantastic, and it's definitely better for solving some of the shrine puzzles. There was one that involved using motion control to roll a ball around a maze and in handheld I was twisting around, holding the switch over my head and this way and that, couldn't do it. Used the pro controller, did it in 30 seconds :lol:

#3805 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

Just ordered one. My ideal set up is TV + bluetooth headphones. The joycons are the big flaw in the switch for me - multiplayer set ups are a pain, one of them has a slight left drift already, and they're just too small to be held comfortably in any way.

Using them for BotW, the map button (-) is above the left stick, but too close to it to hit easily. The d pad is awkward too, as it's directly below the stick but sort of under my thumb joint.

Anyway, pro con on the way, should be here tomorrow.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3806 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

The only time I've ever used the joycons unattached was during the initial set up, and I didn't like it. Very happy using them attached to the Switch, though - haven't had any problems with them . . . so far.

#3807 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

I love the joycons free. Feels great and light and smooth plus I can have my arms stretched out anyway I please.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#3808 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

View PostBlend, on 22 May 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

Anyone know if there's anything akin to what Myst was out there somewhere these days? Like, super complex, mostly realistic puzzle games?

Obduction? I haven't played it, but it's by Cyan, who made Myst, and it's free on GOG until tomorrow:

https://www.gog.com/game/obduction

#3809 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostSerenity, on 31 May 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Anyone know if there's anything akin to what Myst was out there somewhere these days? Like, super complex, mostly realistic puzzle games?

Obduction? I haven't played it, but it's by Cyan, who made Myst, and it's free on GOG until tomorrow:

Boo, I suggested that already, idea-thief! :lol: Though I didnít know it was free on GOG, good call!

#3810 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

View PostGalactic Council, on 31 May 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostSerenity, on 31 May 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Boo, I suggested that already, idea-thief! :) Though I didn't know it was free on GOG, good call!

Hehe, I confess to only quickly scrolling down the thread. But great minds and all that :lol:

#3811 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 May 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

I realise it's not quite the same, but The Witness was amazing.

I second The Witness. Awesome game.
She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#3812 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

Pro controller is so much better.

Breath of the Wild is goddamned enormous.

Hardly scratched the surface so far. I was very happy to find Kakariko village, cucco chasing and all. First fairy fountain - they kept the music! Zelda nostalgia meter full. Got quite a lot of Korok seeds now, as I keep spotting their puzzles as I'm travelling, and got some climbing gear which has helped too.

It may not have the 'real' look from other open world games but it's got that immersion factor. So far I can't fault it.

Wonder why we don't have a thread for this game, have not many people played it?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 01 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

#3813 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

I've been making progress in FFX on Switch (currently in Bevelle). I can't remember how far I got when I originally played it back in the day. I think I may just have passed that point.

I've also fallen in love with Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS. Such a fun game. And I've been dabbling in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, also on 3DS. For all the praise Monster Hunter World gets for being the most accessible of the MH games, and as much as I love that game, I've found 4U to be the most approachable.

#3814 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Totally back into FF12 on Switch. Looks so damn good. Donít like the job system a single fucking bit though! Totally changes things up in a very frustrating way for me.

#3815 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

I'm loving Zelda.

What's great is that Link has amnesia, and I haven't played Zelda for years.

So I've forgotten stuff too - and when I found the Deku tree last night, with an echo of familiar music in the background, I was right back there with my green N64 playing Ocarina. So well done.

#3816 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

Was in the mood for some Titanfall 2 Frontier Defense last night. Scorch is so good in FD.
ďThe others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.Ē
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#3817 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

Sekiro is retired from my active list.

#3818 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

I'm nearly at the end of FFX - I'm inside Sin, so just the final three boss fights to go, I think.

But it's Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS that's really holding my attention at the moment. It's really taken me by surprise by how good it is and how many of the core MH systems are there, even though the combat is turn-based. I'm just over 20 hours into it and starting to get some of the better monsties. Took on a Black Diablos last night, which was the most epic battle I've had so far. So much fun. Posted Image

#3819 User is offline   Incredible Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

Played half an hour of Cadence of Hyrule yesterday. Really charming game. And surprisingly tough. Or rather, I was bad at Crypt of the Necrodancer and this is kinda the same. I am a token white guy, I have no rhythm, so I get punished when I try to match the tempo of the baddies. Thankfully the game is only rogue-lite and there's no perma-death.

Also played the intro to Yakuza Zero with a friend but it was so slow and clunky that we lost interest after 15-30 minutes.

Instead we played a couple of hours of the Modern Warfare Remastered campaign. MW remains a really cool gameplay experience. The focus on making you feel like a part of a squad and not just a lone bad ass works really well in this game. It reminded me that COD used to (maybe still has?) a problem with enemies just spawning over and over until you run forward and reach an arbitrary check point, at which point the next phase begins. But you feel awesome when you clear out a building with your squad.

#3820 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

Bought Oblivion for less then 4 euro's last week, and been modding the rest of the week. Bevilex modlist with lots of textures and ENB to finish it. It looks pretty enough now.
"Don't trust the skull"

Share this topic:

• 221 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users