• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan BBQ - 2011 - Enlist here! Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Holy Crap Gothos is going? Might even make me consider pulling a sicky for a few days... :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#42 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I might not be what you expect :) I'm even more boring IRL.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#43 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostMessremb, on 27 March 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

The closest major airport is London Stansted at approx 30 miles drive away, followed closely by Luton at roughly 35 miles. London City and London Heathrow are around the 70 mile mark and East Midlands Airport at 90 miles. Depends on where you can get flights to as to which is best for you.

In terms of public transport, Stansted has a direct train, Heathrow a tube trip followed by train, City a trip on the DLR and 2 trains, Luton a train a walk and another train, finally East Midlands needs a bus trip and two trains.

National Rail will give you train times and prices, be aware though that UK train tickets are not released for sale until 3 months before the journey date so check out a weekend a few weeks before the BBQ for prices and times.

What Messremb said. I would just add that I usually take the National Express coach from either Stansted or Luton, which, when boked online in advance, can be dirt cheap, and it stops not far from the railway station (where the rest of the people usually meet for taxi sharing).
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#44 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

ARGH!!

If wishes were horses I'd have a sleigh hooked up to twelve pegasuses and be halfway across the world the week before the BBQ!

Unfortunately sneaking into people's paddocks and sticking chickens to the backs of their sleeping horses with duct tape doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere but trampled :)
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#45 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

One year we will make it to the famed barbecue...
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#46 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

Aight thanks for the tips, guys! Just something further, as I need to book the flight within the next few days to be able to actually afford it... what time of arrival would be... best? Morning, afternoon, evening?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#47 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Most people tend to get there in the early afternoon, so unless you want to fly over the day before and stay somewhere, a fairly early morning flight is probably best.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#48 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

Spoke to the folks and for some reason they want to see me so starting to look at flights and things. will get there somehow...even if i have to catch a cow and ride it down from Edinburgh
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#49 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

View PostShiara, on 28 March 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

ARGH!!

If wishes were horses I'd have a sleigh hooked up to twelve pegasuses and be halfway across the world the week before the BBQ!

Unfortunately sneaking into people's paddocks and sticking chickens to the backs of their sleeping horses with duct tape doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere but trampled :)

View PostCentzon Totochtin, on 28 March 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

One year we will make it to the famed barbecue...

I'm going. Why can't you guys come too? *narrow eyes*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#50 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

because I was in Europe last year and need to keep my job/don't have the money to visit this year
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#51 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

BAH

It appears that it would be too much of a strain on my finances, sadly. I'm afraid that I'll have to take back my words and say I won't be there :)
Next year, however, I will. Properly, too.

#52 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

on exactly what stage is this BBQ? Mild mannered book worms giggling about interwoven story lines somehow playing out in real life, or balls out random snogging with drinking games speckled with bad decisions? Cause I can pull a mean Quick Ben, depending the company.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#53 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:15 AM

Neither of the above.
Just a regular BBQ, food and drink, chatting a bit of shite

#54 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:33 AM

So what's the draw? Other than being able to say "shaved knuckle in the hole", and people know what you're talking about? Are there crazy legends, perhaps some ritual hazing? I'm basically asking if there will be chicks there.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#55 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

Well, it's not a place to come looking for a date :gando: but plenty of alcohol is involved, and if you're lucky, Mal might let you have a swim - only Maccy has been that honoured so far.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#56 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

View PostGothos, on 30 March 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

BAH

It appears that it would be too much of a strain on my finances, sadly. I'm afraid that I'll have to take back my words and say I won't be there :gando:

That is a shame - I got quite excited for a moment there - you know how to let a girl down dontcha?

Next year it is then.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#57 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

View PostHetan, on 31 March 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 30 March 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

BAH

It appears that it would be too much of a strain on my finances, sadly. I'm afraid that I'll have to take back my words and say I won't be there :gando:

That is a shame - I got quite excited for a moment there - you know how to let a girl down dontcha?

Next year it is then.

Yeah, I've got quite some experience in letting girls down. Not that I like doing it :/ Let's just say I thought I was a bit more affluent than I am right now. Seriously sucks.
But yeah, next year - no problem methinks.

#58 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:29 AM

Ah, that's a shame Gothos - was looking forward to meeting you, heh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#59 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

Gatekeeper, how many girls are on the forum at all, then narrow that down to Europe ( for handyness sake) then factor in wanting to go to a BBQ with a load of BBQ people. Resultant number is about 4, alas all spoken for. Not the place for a date, no :gando:

#60 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

I'm going with the usual response - Want to come, can't afford to go.

However, next year the significant other will be a full fledged doctor and I will have money to spend so I shall aim for 2012 instead.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users