• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#21 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

I used to play a lot of Rummy 500, 1000, 2000...

Board game's I am a little old school I'm afraid. Classical Risk, Stratego, Scrabble.

There were a lot more when I was a kid but I can't remember there names now. Catan looks like a board game version of Age of Empires. Minus the fighting.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Settlers of Catan, of course.
Monopoly City can be actually quite fun and addresses many of the problems with classic monopoly (especially the mid-game stalemate), as well as modernizes the game significantly (ie: monetary denominations now go from $10 000 to $50 million). But it's still monopoly and ergo still not that great.
The Battlestar Galactica boardgame is a lot of fun - basically all the players are "working together" against random problems that occur, but some players are secretly Cylons and win by sabotaging the rest.
Shogun - like a complicated hybrid of risk and settlers. Instead of dice, you drop armies into a "battle tower" (already probably full of random other armies) and the outcome is determined by what falls out. Not as fun with people who have never played before, though.
Scotland Yard is a nice and simple game where 5 police players try to land on the same board location as an invisible criminal player. Can be really fun when players have disagreements on strategy, but generally too easy for the police to win if they work together.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Looking to acquire a boardgame - called Time Agents. Where the objective is to have already won the game, before the game has started, and to have eliminated the invention of time travel in the process (thereby rendering your victory un-undoable).

I've seen it played, and it's wacky hijinks!
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#24 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

So, Sarah and I have been on a bit of a boardgame obsession recently.

We got a bit tired of television and decided to buy a couple of games that work well with two players. We ended up bringing home Dominion and Race For the Galaxy. Both are technically card games, but it hardly matters.

So far we've thoroughly enjoyed both games, and will probably go ahead and buy the expansion(s) of both. Right now I can't say which one I prefer, though I think Race For the Galaxy works better as a 2 player game than Dominion.

Additionally, we had a boardgame night with some friends, and ended up playing Eclipse. Eclipse is a space war strategy game where the board consists of six sided tiles that are placed as you explore outwards from your starting planet. I worried at first that the game might be a little too complicated for Sarah's liking (she prefers sleeker designs), but as it turned out the rules were so elegant they became pretty intuitive. The game was awesome. We played for close to 5 hours before it finished, and not once did I consider the time. I was genuinly surprised it was at late as it was when we finished. I'm buying this game, and I suggest you do the same :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Another Race for the Galaxy fan here.

I'd also recommend Seven Wonders. I'm trying the expansion for it for the first time tonight, far too excited about that...
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#26 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Apart from things like monoply and the like I was never into the whole board game thing, but recently have started playing the Game of thrones boardgame and so far Im loving it. So its got me thinking that maybe I should have a look at a few other games that are out there.

Whats good for people who have never really tried these kinda games before?
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#27 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Race for the Galaxy and Dominion are pretty easy to understand, but are as mentioned technically card games.

Ticket to Ride is a simple game to understand, and pretty fun. Typically a good familly game, where the theme and the gameplay fit together well. There's an iOS version too, which never hurts.

Settlers is a classic that everyone seems to enjoy, but there's a little too much luck involved for my taste, and although it evens out as the game progresses, those first few rounds are vital.

#28 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I own Dominion: Intrigue and it's a fairly nice addition (also works as stand-alone, so know that when you buy it: there are no carbon copy cards but you'll recognize a few cards as "hey, that's almost this and that card from the standard game". The main benefit of buying Intrigue is that it allows you to play the game with 5 and perhaps even 6 players as it packs enough basic cards and a full complement of gold, silver and victory cards so you can easily expand the basic card pool to accomodate more players (adding three piles of kingdom cards, expanding the Estate, Duchy and Province pool by 25/ 50% from the 4 player standard and ending the game when 4 or 5 piles are exhausted).

In case you want to read up on which expansion contains which cards: http://dominionstrat...com/card-lists/ is the place to check.
It seems Seaside, Alchemy and perhaps Prosperity all add vastly different mechanics that don't return in any other expansions. I guess that makes them less easy to combine with a base set (or each other) if you regularly have non-regular players over for a game with 3 or 4: if you play Dominion all the time with Sarah, either of those may be a very nice addition.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#29 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

on the subject of Dominion linky is a great place to play online and they have all the expansions. Dominion is built so that adding the expansions to it is quite easy and it doesnt matter if the mechanics dont return. The grat thing about getting more expansions is that your possible tableau of actions is way more varied so you get a lot of different games.

My friend group plays lots of board and card games so ill mention some of my favourites.

Agricola (Personally i prefer it with the farmers of the moor expansion as i like the added challenge)
Race for the galaxy (also has a good online version if anyone wants me to find it :) )
Smallworld (This is one i own myself and its a nice simple game that is easy to pick up and has lots of vaariation between games especially if you get expansions and sequels like me :D )
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#30 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

I love Risk, and i can never find anyone willing to sit down for long enough to play it with me :) I'd recommend Ticket to Ride and Pandemic as well, they are great fun.

For those with a little more patience, Arkham Horror is a fantastic co-op game based on the H P Lovecraft universe. It's a big, complex game, but so much fun when you get the hang of it, and there are a bunch of expansions as well.
Link: http://en.wikipedia....i/Arkham_Horror
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

#31 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostStarling, on 16 September 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

I love Risk, and i can never find anyone willing to sit down for long enough to play it with me :) I'd recommend Ticket to Ride and Pandemic as well, they are great fun.

For those with a little more patience, Arkham Horror is a fantastic co-op game based on the H P Lovecraft universe. It's a big, complex game, but so much fun when you get the hang of it, and there are a bunch of expansions as well.

Heh, sounds like you're more in the Avalon Hill game range camp, Starling.
I'd suggest Axis and Allies and Diplomacy and Samurai Swords, too.

I personally love Cuba (expansion El Presidente has been released, looks interesting). It isn't a very fast game (90 minutes if everyone knows the mechanics and plays fast), but is entertaining and independent of luck.

#32 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Arkham horror is great fun, but can take quite a while :D Also form what i hear of a friend who has all the expansions, if you play it with all the expansions there is a large chance of dying before the game starts :p
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Mousetrap still wins hands down for me

#34 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 14 September 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

Additionally, we had a boardgame night with some friends, and ended up playing Eclipse. Eclipse is a space war strategy game where the board consists of six sided tiles that are placed as you explore outwards from your starting planet. I worried at first that the game might be a little too complicated for Sarah's liking (she prefers sleeker designs), but as it turned out the rules were so elegant they became pretty intuitive. The game was awesome. We played for close to 5 hours before it finished, and not once did I consider the time. I was genuinly surprised it was at late as it was when we finished. I'm buying this game, and I suggest you do the same :p

Eclipse is awesome! It manages to be lots of fun even if I am awful at it!

I also got to play Ticket to Ride a few times recently (Europe map) and it was lots of fun - a great quick/casual board game that still takes wit and strategy.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#35 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostGiles, on 16 September 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

I love Risk, and i can never find anyone willing to sit down for long enough to play it with me :p I'd recommend Ticket to Ride and Pandemic as well, they are great fun.

Arkham horror is great fun, but can take quite a while :p Also form what i hear of a friend who has all the expansions, if you play it with all the expansions there is a large chance of dying before the game starts :p

Wow, that sounds tricky! I've only ever played with two expansions at the most, we mostly played with the Dunwich Horror expansion.

I would love to give some of those Avalon Hill games a go. It's just a matter of finding people who also want to play.
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

#36 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Is Eclipse like Twilight Imperium, or do I have my space war 4X board games mixed up?

#37 User is offline   Wolfy 

• Lair of the Spectacular Tongue Beast

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostStarling, on 17 September 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Wow, that sounds tricky! I've only ever played with two expansions at the most, we mostly played with the Dunwich Horror expansion.

I would love to give some of those Avalon Hill games a go. It's just a matter of finding people who also want to play.

*waves his arm around* oooh pick me! :p

I think I need to start a boardgame night at my place...

#38 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

View PostTapper, on 17 September 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Is Eclipse like Twilight Imperium, or do I have my space war 4X board games mixed up?

Hm, the board is made up of similar pieces, but are placed as players explore outwards from their starting planet, rather than set before the start of the game proper. Additionally, the game is quicker and less complicated than TI.

They fill the same niche, so to speak, amd have several visual similarities. However, my experience is that they play very differently.

#39 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 18 September 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

View PostTapper, on 17 September 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hm, the board is made up of similar pieces, but are placed as players explore outwards from their starting planet, rather than set before the start of the game proper. Additionally, the game is quicker and less complicated than TI.

They fill the same niche, so to speak, amd have several visual similarities. However, my experience is that they play very differently.

Actually, I read some boardgamegeek on it and the recommendations here and there were enough: I picked it up yesterday. Manual in Finnish, Czech, Polish and German :p. Hurray for picking up rule nuances, but at the least the board is in English and the signs are very intuitive. Oh well, I'm dating a Polish girl, she'll have a game tailored for her to lawyer on :p.

#40 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hah, well if I finally manage to stagger into the Netherlands we'll have to play a round.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users