Malazan Empire: A Song of Ice and Fire - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

A Song of Ice and Fire HBO's Taking on the Malazans Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 April 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

I admit to being reluctant to recommend it to lady viewers not familiar with the books... EPISODE 1 SPOILERS
Spoiler

It wasn't a perfect first ep but it was solid enuf.

My feeling, even with ADwD coming out this year, and when you think that the five books could be made into 5 seasons, the TV series will end before the book series is finished. So at one point, in order to come to a satisfactory conclusion, the TV story has to depart from the book story. It might sound like heresy for some, but I would actually be fine with that. In fact, I would welcome this because a fresh take might renew my interest in the story. Right now, I like the series because of the great visual. The story is not really new to me. The novelty of the visual might wear off at which point the story has to carry my interest.

It might work out as you say, with an ending around the Storm of Swords, which might make the most sense based on my memory of the story.

#42 User is offline   Tyr 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 18 April 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

Spoiler

et voila... rock solid three season epic fantasy HBO series ready for DVD sales and syndication.

Must tread carefully. Just because HBO has a following on this show does not mean the majority of fantasy fans. The political intrigue is probably the biggest aspect of the series for most non-readers, and if you just piss out fantasy elements and make it dragons vs ice aliens, when they expect a story about a game of thrones with relatable human character, things will not go that well.

Maybe keep Jon and Dany around to keep peoples interest in buying the books, but TWot5K is going to carry this show for S2 + 3. Best cut them back.

#43 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

I'm leery about the season-per-book approach, at the very least because FEAST was fairly mediocre and likely wouldn't make for much better tv.

The War of 5 Kings...sure, but a TONNE of major events happen in Dany and Jon's storylines BOOKS SPOILERS AGAIN
Spoiler

...arguably either of those could be half a season in itself. Plus the politicing that makes up the main King's Landing and related events storyline, while interesting, is inherently boring if someone doesn't get a sword in the face every so often. This is GAME OF THRONES, not THE TUDORS.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users