Malazan Empire: A Song of Ice and Fire - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

A Song of Ice and Fire HBO's Taking on the Malazans Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   playdoe 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading..and video games...also a huge fan of George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

So...hello all. I'm new to malazan Empire. Just wondering since I was introduced to Gardens of the Moon by the author George R.R.Martin,well in an interview they asked him whats he been reading lately and he said he's a huge fan of Steven Erikson (or so I've heard) , and about a week later i picked up Gardens of the Moon. Now I know this is the Malazan Empire site but just wanted to know who's psyched about April 2011 HBO premiering the first volume in George R.R.Martin's series: A Game of Thrones, and how awesome would it be if the series has success, and then they would venture to take on something epic like the Malazan books..I'm a huge Sci-Fi/ Fantasy fan and I\ve recently heard a film adaptation of Dan Simmon's Hyperion novel/s is in effect....I'm so happy that finally the genre is getting the attention it deserves, and are there any other series coming to TV??

Posted Image

This post has been edited by playdoe: 07 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

maybe my fascination with fantasy and sci fi is that I dream of some future where theres magic and Homosexuals are the ruling race...ha. Adrian Summers aka..Playdoe

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

very excited about the HBO series, as are a lot of other people round here. i just got HBO recently and i'm super psyched that it was in time for this. it looks just amazing and i trust that it'll do the book justice. less than a month to go!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Where can I find this GRRM interview of which you speak?

As much as I'd love to see a malazan TV series of movie, I doubt there will ever be one. Malazan is not so popular as ASOI&F unfortunately. On top of that, I'm pretty sure that it would be very expensive to make. There is a thread or two about it in the TV and Movies section of these forums. There you'll also find a thread about the AGOT TV show. And yes, I'm excited about that!

I heard something about a WOT movie a while ago... but that doesn't appear to be happening.

And that pic you posted... it's currently my desktop wallpaper.

This post has been edited by Bombur: 07 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

#4 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

Never read the books, but we got Sky Atlantic HD now which is HBO and I'm quite excited to be able to watch a proper fantasy based show.

#5 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostLuzburg, on 07 March 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Never read the books, but we got Sky Atlantic HD now which is HBO and I'm quite excited to be able to watch a proper fantasy based show.

The books are great and the show looks as though it could be too. It might be worth your time reading the first book before the show starts, but then again it could be just as fun going into the show with no idea what's going to happen.

Edit: Be sure to stay away from spoilers! ASOI&F has some shocking twists, so spoilers can seriously dampen the experience.

This post has been edited by Bombur: 07 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

#6 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostBombur, on 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostLuzburg, on 07 March 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

The books are great and the show looks as though it could be too. It might be worth your time reading the first book before the show starts, but then again it could be just as fun going into the show with no idea what's going to happen.

Well, if I like the plotlines of the series I might get the books.

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postplaydoe, on 07 March 2011 - 04:28 AM, said:

George R.R.Martin,well in an interview they asked him whats he been reading lately and he said he's a huge fan of Steven Erikson (or so I've heard) url]

I'm skeptical. I always thought he hadn't read it, or he tried it but it wasn't for him. He always says he doesn't like stories with too much magic.

#8 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 07 March 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

View Postplaydoe, on 07 March 2011 - 04:28 AM, said:

George R.R.Martin,well in an interview they asked him whats he been reading lately and he said he's a huge fan of Steven Erikson (or so I've heard) url]

I'm skeptical. I always thought he hadn't read it, or he tried it but it wasn't for him. He always says he doesn't like stories with too much magic.

Exactly. In a recent interview Erikson thought he heard somewhere that GRRM tried reading GOTM but abandonned it. That's why I'm so keen to see this GRRM interview.

#9 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hm, I'm really not sure about their casting of Sean Bean as Eddard. I'll watch, of course, but I wish it was someone less well known in the role.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#10 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostTraveller, on 07 March 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

Hm, I'm really not sure about their casting of Sean Bean as Eddard. I'll watch, of course, but I wish it was someone less well known in the role.

I'm not too worried about his role as Eddard. Sean Bean is a great actor, and gives the show a star power popularity boost. I'm not complaining.

My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is the age difference. Eddard is only 35 in the books.

#11 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

View PostBombur, on 07 March 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 07 March 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'm not too worried about his role as Eddard. Sean Bean is a great actor, and gives the show a star power popularity boost. I'm not complaining.

My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is the age difference. Eddard is only 35 in the books.

Eeeeeeeh, this doesn't really bother me, mostly because people tend to age 'prematurely' compared to their modern counterparts. Consider medieval life expectancy, and a lack of modern health care and whatnot, and it doesn't seem that strange at all. Unless the TV series is trying to actually tell us he's fifty or something, in which case wtf.

Also OP you are a complete cocktease. /)_(\ 'HBO takes on the Malazans' had me squirming for a moment, even though I knew it wasn't going to be some sort of show announcement, lol.

#12 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hey, OP. We're all definitely super pumped for the AOIAF premiere :rofl:

In fact, we have a 20+ page thread here where we've been discussing it and posting new videos and trailers: http://forum.malazan...opic=13401&st=0
Feel free to join in.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Welcome new meat Playdoe.

Be sure to present yourself promtply to check out the abattoir Other Lit subforums. We eat your brainzzzz discuss tons of other series and books discussed there including Hyperion and SIF.

That Hyperion flic is a tease that comes up every few years. I would so love to see it, but remain scepticsl.

- Abyss, knows where you live wants a life size Shrike coat-rack.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

According to a con report, GRRM tried GotM a while ago and didn't get very far. I know after meeting Erikson and possibly after talking to Bakker (I know from experience that Bakker will reccomend DHG to anyone listening if you have a conversation with him for more than ten minutes) he's resolved to try again, possibly with DHG. I don't know if he got round to it, and it would be cool if he did.

Erikson, on the other hand, has read and apparently enjoyed AGoT (we know ICE did years ago and was cooler about it). During the publicity junket for TCG someone asked for book recs and he suggested AGoT. I can't find the reference off the top of my head, but it was fairly recently.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#15 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 March 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

Welcome new meat Playdoe.

Be sure to present yourself promtply to check out the abattoir Other Lit subforums. We eat your brainzzzz discuss tons of other series and books discussed there including Hyperion and SIF.

That Hyperion flic is a tease that comes up every few years. I would so love to see it, but remain scepticsl.

- Abyss, knows where you live wants a life size Shrike coat-rack.

:(

#16 User is offline   playdoe 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading..and video games...also a huge fan of George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:37 AM

Well you guys are right...my friend was the one that introduced me to Steven Erikson by convincing me that George R.R. martin was a big fan( me being a huge fan myself) so i took it upon myself to search...and search and search..the internet to no avail. Unfortunately I was wrong, and upon confronting my friend he said it was the only way to get me to read the book, the tactic worked but I was fooled and i come to thee shamefaced!! Please forgive!!. So i leave you with this..the only proof of anything malazan movie like, and I found it on wikipedia...btw A Game of thrones premiers on April 17th...can't wait..and George has no choice but introduce magic, remeber that the awakening of the Dragins has only brought magic back..I remember reading in the beginings of one of his books a thanks to someone for convincing/or giving him the idea for dragons, so I beleieve it when you guys say he's not that keen on magic...

Rumors of a film version of the series have circulated for the past several years. Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont originally developed Gardens of the Moon as a film script, apparently a comedy centering on the Phoenix Inn Regulars of the first novel. All copies of this script now seem to have been lost. More recently, a script has been in development entitled Chain of Dogs, which is essentially an adaptation of a major plot strand of the novel Deadhouse Gates. This script is awaiting funding. The writers (who have consulted with Steven Erikson on the project) have declared they hope to fund the film outside of the Hollywood system, but acknowledge the large budget and extensive CGI requirements may make this impossible.
maybe my fascination with fantasy and sci fi is that I dream of some future where theres magic and Homosexuals are the ruling race...ha. Adrian Summers aka..Playdoe

#17 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

View Postplaydoe, on 14 March 2011 - 03:37 AM, said:

Well you guys are right...my friend was the one that introduced me to Steven Erikson by convincing me that George R.R. martin was a big fan( me being a huge fan myself) so i took it upon myself to search...and search and search..the internet to no avail. Unfortunately I was wrong, and upon confronting my friend he said it was the only way to get me to read the book, the tactic worked but I was fooled and i come to thee shamefaced!! Please forgive!!. So i leave you with this..the only proof of anything malazan movie like, and I found it on wikipedia...btw A Game of thrones premiers on April 17th...can't wait..and George has no choice but introduce magic, remeber that the awakening of the Dragins has only brought magic back..I remember reading in the beginings of one of his books a thanks to someone for convincing/or giving him the idea for dragons, so I beleieve it when you guys say he's not that keen on magic...

Rumors of a film version of the series have circulated for the past several years. Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont originally developed Gardens of the Moon as a film script, apparently a comedy centering on the Phoenix Inn Regulars of the first novel. All copies of this script now seem to have been lost. More recently, a script has been in development entitled Chain of Dogs, which is essentially an adaptation of a major plot strand of the novel Deadhouse Gates. This script is awaiting funding. The writers (who have consulted with Steven Erikson on the project) have declared they hope to fund the film outside of the Hollywood system, but acknowledge the large budget and extensive CGI requirements may make this impossible.

Wait, what?

Source on Chain of Dogs movie info, please, or is this also info from your friend? :)

#18 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Heh... I'm beginning to wonder if those rumors started their circulation on this website .... :)
Lord knows we've been talking about it for long enough and iirc Kallor was a big instigator on that front?

Not heard a concrete thing about it though but I may bang off an email and ask Steve if there's anything occurring in that department.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#19 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostHetan, on 14 March 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

Heh... I'm beginning to wonder if those rumors started their circulation on this website .... :)
Lord knows we've been talking about it for long enough and iirc Kallor was a big instigator on that front?

Not heard a concrete thing about it though but I may bang off an email and ask Steve if there's anything occurring in that department.

Hmmm, he didnīt mention any of such thing in his interview for *the void*...and that one is as recent as can be and pretty damn extensive, incl. touching on the issue of GotM starting out as a screenplay.
I think thatīs our rumour here making the rounds...

#20 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

This sort of discussion makes me wish Kallor was still around. Anything going on regarding a film would be sure to have him lurking spider-like behind it...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users