• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#1 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:55 AM

I don't play games anymore, only games I played in the past 3 years were MGS4 and Demon's Souls, and I can't wait for this shit. It is GOOD. If you have not played Demon's Souls PLAY IT NOW ! Thank the gods for this.

Here is the trailer
No Touchy.

#2 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

Yup, Demon´s Souls were great piece of insane and addictive gameplay and this looks...same, almost:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#3 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Totally agreed.
Demon Soul's is the only reason I still own a PS3...absolutley great game and pretty solid at that.

Glad its going to be on the 360 as well as more people will get to play it!!!

#4 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

View PostHocknose, on 03 February 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

Totally agreed.
Demon Soul's is the only reason I still own a PS3...absolutley great game and pretty solid at that.

Glad its going to be on the 360 as well as more people will get to play it!!!

I agreed, Demon's Souls was amazing! Right up there with MSG4 for one of my fave games of all-time. Can't wait! When's the tentative release date (US)? Also, i take it this is the Project Dark thing that folks were talking about earlier?

#5 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Demon's Souls was incredibly difficult, frustrating, intense, dark, and often depressing. In short, this game was fucking amazing. Might need to brush up on some skills, I hear this sequel is supposed to be even more difficult than the first.
To be honest, i was only able to play through half before the game left my place. Watched a buddy play through it, and was amazed.

#6 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

I found that the first play-through was hard, almost impossible. But after you beat the game the first time and you know the enemy's moves its kinda easy. So I hope that this one will kick my ass till I cry.
No Touchy.

#7 User is offline   Beliar 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I keep hearing great things about the 1st one. i really should pull my finger out and give it a look.

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

The first one is awesome, dark, brooding and atmospheric.

Dark Souls is apparently unrelated story -wise to Demons Souls, and is supposed to be more difficult. I like the way the creator of both games says that his aim was to make the gameplay itself a reward, rather than a series of easily won achievements. I'm playing Demons Souls at the moment, and I can see what he means.

Nice shots on here...

http://www.fromsoftware.jp/darksouls/

Don't know about a release date, but I'm really looking forward to it.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#9 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

Definitely in my top 5 game category! absolutely fell in love with Demon's Souls, the dark atmosphere and challenging game play, always made you want to better yourself and beat it more and more. Cannot wait for dark souls it looks like they're taking all the good things of Demons souls and building on it :)
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Only a week to go before release.

From IGN.... 'One of the mid-game bosses, meanwhile, emits corrosive bile that swiftly degrades your equipment if you get stuck in its flow, potentially leaving you standing naked in front of a hideous dragon with a broken sword. There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle.'

This sounds like a mean game. One reviewer said he got hit by a curse that made a big growth appear on his head, so he couldn't wear a helmet anymore. He had to go hunting for a shaman to cure it, with health down to half.

Looks like it almost needs to be to played online to beat the game, as it's designed for people to help each other out in certain situations. No chat is available to keep it in character, but the idea is to make players team up, as it's pretty impossible
to take on some of the bosses single handed. There's also apparently no difference between the PS3 version and the 360, which is good because I actually use Live.

Can't wait.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 01 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

Bloody excited for this game. I realised I've become far too pampered by easy modern games, and this is perfect to return me to my old, primal self when it comes to playing games :harhar:

#12 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Yeah I am looking forward to it.

I actually really liked the look of the Demon's Souls and really wanted to play. I didn't have a PS3 however. Now I do, but just haven't gotten around to hiring it out yet. A few friends lent me games to finish, so I was doing them first.
I need to get around to Demon's Souls soon though as I want to finish it before I play Dark Souls.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

View PostLucifer, on 02 October 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Yeah I am looking forward to it.

I actually really liked the look of the Demon's Souls and really wanted to play. I didn't have a PS3 however. Now I do, but just haven't gotten around to hiring it out yet. A few friends lent me games to finish, so I was doing them first.
I need to get around to Demon's Souls soon though as I want to finish it before I play Dark Souls.

I got a PS3 out of the blue last christmas, and Dark Souls followed shortly after, as it had quite a reputation by then. I didn't play it online, but worked my way through, learning from my own mistakes (and a few hints from malazites).

It's good to be playing where you feel quite so vulnerable - and where you have to really size up your enemy, even the 'regular' ones, so you don't lose valuable any health on the way to what will be a difficult boss encounter. Even taking health potions/herbs isn't just a question of hitting an arrow key to instantly replenish health in a fight - your character has to stop and eat them, which takes precious seconds, and means you might have to dash for cover while you do so.

I'm hoping that a lot of players will get it as they want a challenge, which might then make other developers think about how they make future games.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

#14 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:19 AM

So soon now! excitement levels are on the verge of universal destruction! Here's a little bit of hype generation http://goo.gl/LHclk and competitions chances to win the game and get to know the Dark Souls community. its also just me asking for more numbers on my score board! ;D haha
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#15 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

There you go, have some soul energy :harhar:
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#16 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

Was watching a housemate start playing this this evening. Loved the fact that all these barrels are lying around that in any other game would be full of goodies, but here are all empty <_<! Pretty challenging gameplay as well. The fact that healing yourself at a bonfire causes all the enemies to respawn is particularly devilish.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#17 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

I started last night, took things carefully, and managed to get through the intro and first mini-boss without getting killed, which was satisfying.

I don't think it looks quite as pretty as Demon's Souls on the PS3, but I do like the open world, and the way you can get to anything you can see in the landscape - exploration is a big part now, which means that early on I stumbled into an area with some tough
enemies in it, which I will have to revisit later. (You know you're in trouble when you sneak up behind something, stab it on the back, and it just gets annoyed).

First surprise death - walking along a ledge, I saw a huge, dead looking stone dragon with treasure dotted around it.
Spoiler

Good multiplayer stuff - it's creepy watching the ghosts of other players in their last moments, and the messages can be helpful too. I haven't figured out how to leave my own yet, maybe that comes later? I might restart with a different class anyway; I went with Wanderer this time, but since I played through Demon's Souls with a Hunter it might be good to try with a Warrior or Knight for a change.

Oh, the stamina meter works well too. No hack hack slash - you have to watch it so you only swing when you have the power to do so, plus leave something for defending.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

#18 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

I picked this up yesterday and played it for almost 8 hours straight...man this game is good!!

I was a huge fan of Demon souls and finished it a couple of times with different characters so I'm used to the gameplay style. I didn't find it much more challenging than Demon Souls at first but now I'm a way into it all I can say is that this game is TOUGH!!

I've been killed so many times already it's crazy, but it does just want to make you have one more try, almost addictive!!

If anyone is struggling I would recommend kitting yourself up with a shield and a spear, you can block and attack from medium distance at the same time. Some of the tougher enemies I've been able to dispatch without a scratch using this combo.

View PostTraveller, on 08 October 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Good multiplayer stuff - it's creepy watching the ghosts of other players in their last moments, and the messages can be helpful too. I haven't figured out how to leave my own yet, maybe that comes later? I might restart with a different class anyway; I went with Wanderer this time, but since I played through Demon's Souls with a Hunter it might be good to try with a Warrior or Knight for a change.

Traveller I guess you've worked this out now but you have to buy the ability to write and rate messages, whereas in Demon Souls you could just do it by clicking select.

So being a massive fan of the first game I have been eagerly awaiting this one and I can definitely say it doesn't disappoint!!!

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 11 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

#19 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

How far have you got? I've made it to the Taurus (?) Demon so far. I bought a spear to deal with the spear-wielding zombies, as they're tricky to get round without.

And yes, I figured out the messaging after visiting the merchant, cheers.

Now I need to figure out the magic thing, and how to kill the black knights - I've bought the staff and soul arrow spell, but it won't let me equip the spell? (I have enough Intelligence.. do I have to 'attune' it at the bonfire or something?)

#20 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

**MINOR SPOILERS**
I'm quite a way into it now, I've just defeated the Bell Gargoyle and rang the first bell. It was difficult and I had to summon a couple of guys to help me. Think I'm about Soul Level 22..

To be fair I'm using a melee build so haven't touched magic yet but the basics are that you need to equip a wand or similar item that lets's you cast a spell. And like you said attune it at the bonfire.

The black knights get progressively harder, I'v killed 3 I think so far but the last one I attempted to kill I snuck up behind him for a backstab and it only took of 8 damage, normal enemies that would have take close to 150!!

When you get to the red dragon on the bridge you can shoot off its tail. I wont go into detail cause I don't want to spoil it for you.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users