• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#821 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostApt, on 05 May 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 04 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

Yeah on my last play through I pretty much ran through to the top bonfire.

I want BK to beat Quelaag. Just so he can say he got further than Apt!

Hey, I beat Quelag. If that is that horrific spider woman down in the swamp shithole.

Heh, I knew you'd notice that Apt.

I finished DS 2, and went back through to get a Kings armor set I missed, then went into ng+.

I did like the DLC though, it was much better than the rest of it really. Lost interest after that, certainly not enough left to get SotFS anyway.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#822 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

I'm about to start dark souls 3 soon. I need advice on what class to play. Don't want to make the game even harder with the wrong choice.

I understand the Knight is perhaps the best newbie class but seems so vanilla. I like the sound of the pyromancers or assassin

#823 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:13 AM

If you don't mind the extra difficulty at the beginning, Thief has the highest starting luck at 14, meaning you'll get decent drop rates for any possible farming you might want to do. Thief is probably the hardest early game though, plus it's naff for most SL120 PvP builds because of wasted points - the first boss took me about 4 tries with my thief, which is the most tries any boss in NG and beyond took me to beat!

Knight and Pyro's are easiest, Knight is best for efficiency if you plan a PvP build. Whichever one it is that starts with the rapier/Estoc is a good bet as well, poise being what it is (or in fact isn't) in DS3 makes Rapiers a very cheesy/scummy weapon choice lol

This being the DS1 thread though, you might take any more DS3 queries to the relevant thread I imagine :laughing:
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#824 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:49 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 May 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

Argh I really really need to nut up and turn this back on. Just haven't been feeling it due to area I left off in. :laughing:

You're close to being done with that area, unless you absolutely want to explore everything there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#825 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

I was referring more to the Great Hollow and Ash Lake (reached by going thru a cave inside a giant tree in the swamps where you are). They aren't integral to the story, so they can be skipped. But they are beautiful and really kind of elevate the mystique and unusualness of Dark Souls.

#826 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

Not sure I agree there is much beautiful about the hollow itself but definitely agree that Ash Lake is some if the better scenery in the entire franchise. Doesn't stop me hating it with a passion though lol

Honestly, BK if it's just a matter if reacquainting yourself with the control scheme and general peculiarities of DS then any area could really be used for that, even simply throwing yourself into the boss fight would be plenty I imagine. If the fight itself took you too many tries you can always spend some time dealing with less punishing environments you've already been through up top afterwards before you moved on afterwards.

I never found Queelag to be one if the game harder bosses, I think you should be alright, especially if you can summon the Mildred NPC as a distraction. When I first played this game I got as far as Ornstein and Smough, two later bosses generally considered to he amongst the hardest in the series, before I put it down and never came back for a year! Now THAT was some reiniation lol

#827 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostCause, on 22 May 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

I'm about to start dark souls 3 soon. I need advice on what class to play. Don't want to make the game even harder with the wrong choice.

I understand the Knight is perhaps the best newbie class but seems so vanilla. I like the sound of the pyromancers or assassin

There is no wrong choice imo; the starter class just changes how you play the first part of the game. The assassin build is what I started with, but I was still using pyromancy, some low level spells and wielding big swords later on regardless, with a mostly st/dex build.

I'd say go assassin over knight as heavier armor slows you down without a noticable poise bonus (in ds3) and the ability to roll multiple times is useful throughout the game.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#828 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

Kill the spider. You can always come back later when you get a shortcut to the bonfire and ability to warp out again.

#829 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

Good plan. Did you ring the bell behind the spider?

There's also a giant but cheesable (!) Boss down the stairs at theback there and a nice set with high fire resistance. And a couple of bonfires to light. Oh and quelaags sister.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

#830 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:44 AM

Don't go back up without ringing it! It opens Sens fortress which you can easily reach next - its by the blacksmith.

#831 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

View PostCoonass, on 08 June 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

Ugh.... So tired of this location and now I gotta fucking go back and deal poison and baiting Dung Rock queers to ring it. I want out. Where is it so I can go straight to it and get tha fuck out?

Explore the giant cave where you killed Quelaag the spider lady. Do not kill the other spider lady stuck in the wall if you find her. She will never attack you and later on, she is useful to help you do something. There will be a mechanism you can operate to ring the bell and open Sen's Fortress.

#832 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:47 AM

Just run from the bonfire across the swamp, roll/run across between the rock hurlers and straight up into Quelaags lair. Run across the boss room and find the bell lever and some stairs.

Pull the lever, turn round and get out! On your way back to the bonfire you'll see the wheel turning (straight ahead but to the left side as you exit Quelaags) Get lifted up, roll onto platform, and get up every damn ladder - they're all fairly close together so you pretty much just go straight up.

Run past the club guys at the top (rolling and jumping gives you a smaller hit box) and get back to fire link.

Don't run out of the cave and fall off the cliff! I didn't. Definitely not.

#833 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tattersail_: 22 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#834 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:48 AM

Finally succeeded in killing the Capra Demon (that fight was easy once I figured out how to survive the first few seconds). I entered The Depths and fell into a fucking hole. Then a bunch of gigantic eyes things started attacking me. I got at least 7-8 of them but their attacks "Cursed" me and I died with 7k souls in my inventory. Now I'm cursed with no money to buy a purging stone :D
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#835 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:28 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 23 February 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Finally succeeded in killing the Capra Demon (that fight was easy once I figured out how to survive the first few seconds). I entered The Depths and fell into a fucking hole. Then a bunch of gigantic eyes things started attacking me. I got at least 7-8 of them but their attacks "Cursed" me and I died with 7k souls in my inventory. Now I'm cursed with no money to buy a purging stone :D

Capra Demon is literally all in the first few seconds as you say. Roll under his first attack, avoid getting stunlocked by either of the doggies and then get lucky and have both dogs follow you up the stairs before him, that way you can kill them both quickly without worrying about him. Then just kite him around the stairs and kill him with plunging attacks. I honestly don't think any boss in the entire Souls series has ever taken me as many tries to defeat as this guy did on my first ever playthrough, it is very difficult as a newb if the first few seconds don't go perfectly. On the other hand it is an example of a Souls boss where tactics can make it a doddle even with very little skill beyond the first dodge - if a little luck-dependent perhaps.

Is it at all possible for you to run to where you lost your souls and then run the fuck away from the Curse Frogs before they get you again? Tough run with cursed HP levels I know, but if your souls still exist it's still the best bet you have. If you're not averse to it as well then I'd simply look up a video of the Depths to make sure you know the best route to take to get away from the frogs when you've picked them back up, until you're not cursed any more best to avoid them completely. I cannot for the life of me remember what, if any, good items are in that area with the frogs, got a idea the Ring of the Evil Eye might be there, not sure though. At any rate you can easily just avoid that entire part of the Depths in the future tbh, it's optional for completion. It is easier when you know what you're getting into and not just dropped into the middle of it though. No idea if you care about trophies/achievements, but I'll get back to you if there's anything there you need for completion on that front.

EDIT: Failing running back and picking your souls up, you could simply kill piss easy enemies around Firelink/Undead Burgh until you have enough souls for a purging stone, but it's been so long since I played the first Souls game I cannot remember either where you get one or how much they cost. So that could take awhile.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 23 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

#836 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

Level up a halberd. Figure out which clothes boost your curse resistance and wear those. And slowly figure out how far exactly you have to retreat to be outside the curse fog to still be able to attack.

But above all, try not to fall down holes. Lol. Welcome to Dark Souls. May you have fun as you cuss.

#837 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 23 February 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 23 February 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Finally succeeded in killing the Capra Demon (that fight was easy once I figured out how to survive the first few seconds). I entered The Depths and fell into a fucking hole. Then a bunch of gigantic eyes things started attacking me. I got at least 7-8 of them but their attacks "Cursed" me and I died with 7k souls in my inventory. Now I'm cursed with no money to buy a purging stone :doh:

Capra Demon is literally all in the first few seconds as you say. Roll under his first attack, avoid getting stunlocked by either of the doggies and then get lucky and have both dogs follow you up the stairs before him, that way you can kill them both quickly without worrying about him. Then just kite him around the stairs and kill him with plunging attacks. I honestly don't think any boss in the entire Souls series has ever taken me as many tries to defeat as this guy did on my first ever playthrough, it is very difficult as a newb if the first few seconds don't go perfectly. On the other hand it is an example of a Souls boss where tactics can make it a doddle even with very little skill beyond the first dodge - if a little luck-dependent perhaps.

Is it at all possible for you to run to where you lost your souls and then run the fuck away from the Curse Frogs before they get you again? Tough run with cursed HP levels I know, but if your souls still exist it's still the best bet you have. If you're not averse to it as well then I'd simply look up a video of the Depths to make sure you know the best route to take to get away from the frogs when you've picked them back up, until you're not cursed any more best to avoid them completely. I cannot for the life of me remember what, if any, good items are in that area with the frogs, got a idea the Ring of the Evil Eye might be there, not sure though. At any rate you can easily just avoid that entire part of the Depths in the future tbh, it's optional for completion. It is easier when you know what you're getting into and not just dropped into the middle of it though. No idea if you care about trophies/achievements, but I'll get back to you if there's anything there you need for completion on that front.

EDIT: Failing running back and picking your souls up, you could simply kill piss easy enemies around Firelink/Undead Burgh until you have enough souls for a purging stone, but it's been so long since I played the first Souls game I cannot remember either where you get one or how much they cost. So that could take awhile.

There is this undead merchant selling them close to Undead Burgh, and it costs 6k.

I have enough of "Soul of Nameless Soldier"s to buy one right now, but I'm loath to spend those.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#838 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:20 AM

If you think you can make it back to your death spot without dying and escape with your souls intact then I would do that instead of spending souls you've accumulated just to remove curse. Or failing that farm crappy Undead Burgh enemies as I suggested, maybe a little long but it's easy and it will give you a better chance of retrieving your souls from the those damnable Curse Frogs afterwards - they are one of the most annoying enemies for sure. If the souls don't mean all that much to you then you don't even have to go back there tbh, just avoid the holes :) Course I know I couldn't leave them behind, I'm a 'get every item' kinda completionist as well, I don't have fond memories of those fricking frogs :doh:

So far as tactics for continued play go btw, I agree with Amphibian above, find and upgrade a Halberd asap! Damn good weapon for keeping your distance, plus you can attack while blocking. It's relative lack of speed compared to some weapons can make it a liability in some fights though, but it still saw me through most of NG+ and ++ to be fair.

One final piece of advice, if you are genuinely enjoying this game then I implore you to remember that when you come to the area after the Depths, it can be extremely trying of one's patience, but kicking it's arse is very rewarding :)

EDIT: Those enemies are actually called Basilisks btw, but I feel Curse Frogs is more appropriate for their design :D

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 23 February 2017 - 06:24 AM

#839 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 23 February 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

If you think you can make it back to your death spot without dying and escape with your souls intact then I would do that instead of spending souls you've accumulated just to remove curse. Or failing that farm crappy Undead Burgh enemies as I suggested, maybe a little long but it's easy and it will give you a better chance of retrieving your souls from the those damnable Curse Frogs afterwards - they are one of the most annoying enemies for sure. If the souls don't mean all that much to you then you don't even have to go back there tbh, just avoid the holes :) Course I know I couldn't leave them behind, I'm a 'get every item' kinda completionist as well, I don't have fond memories of those fricking frogs :doh:

So far as tactics for continued play go btw, I agree with Amphibian above, find and upgrade a Halberd asap! Damn good weapon for keeping your distance, plus you can attack while blocking. It's relative lack of speed compared to some weapons can make it a liability in some fights though, but it still saw me through most of NG+ and ++ to be fair.

One final piece of advice, if you are genuinely enjoying this game then I implore you to remember that when you come to the area after the Depths, it can be extremely trying of one's patience, but kicking it's arse is very rewarding :D

EDIT: Those enemies are actually called Basilisks btw, but I feel Curse Frogs is more appropriate for their design :D

I already died before getting to my souls :)

I'm currently using a sword called "Dragon's Sword" which I got from shooting arrows at the dragon that sets fire to the bridge. It does 70 more damage than my +5 Uchigatana at +0.

I do have the halberd you get from killing those two Bell Gargoyles. It's pretty strong and I'm going to upgrade it once I get a few titanite shards.

How valuable is Humanity? I have 13 of them in my inventory and I'm running around at 0 humanity cause I don't wanna lose those If I need them later on.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 23 February 2017 - 06:39 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#840 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

Oh yeah the Drake Sword is a great weapon early game, the way damage scales in Dark Souls it will outdamage pretty much anything else for awhile, as upgrading weapons is prohibitively expensive early on. Eventually it will get left behind by upgraded weapons though, and will cease to be as good as you reach harder areas. The Halberd I (and I assume Amph as well) am talking about isn't the Gargoyle one, it's the normal one just called Halberd. You should already have it if you've been thorough with looting all corpses. It's on a corpse to the left before you enter the Cathedral on the other side of the gate the Hollows try to close on you when you have to fight that iron Boar enemy. Until you can upgrade it significantly though the Drake Sword will outdamage it, so if you feel comfortable with it perhaps stick with it for the time being. Learning to use the Halberd and weapons with a long reach well is pretty useful though.

Humanity is pretty valuable and is genuinely more annoying to lose than souls as you move forward in the game, souls become easier to accumulate (easier to lose as well perhaps) as the enemies give out more. However, humanity never becomes easier to get your hands on, the best method (failing multiplayer) is killing rats in the Depths actually. I personally never saw any reason not to use any humanity I got as I got it, leaving just 4-5 in reserve for emergencies. More humanity increases your item find up to about 10, and it increases your damage (minimally, but an increase is an increase) right the way up to 99. Some people might suggest only using it to reverse your hollowing and kindling strategic bonfires though, forgetting item find and damage bonuses. Tbh on a first playthrough that's probably good advice. Me personally I never had issue with long farming sessions on the rats in the depths, once you open the shortcut it's genuinely not too bad, but that's just the kind of player I am. Farming is not everyone's cup of tea. At any rate if you're hollow I would highly suggest using one to reverse that, and to kindle the bonfire in the Depths when you reach it. Even if you continue to hoard the rest.

Btw if you get to the room in the Depths with the Giant Undead Rat (might have already been there?) there is a water slide type thing in the room, if you go too the far left and slide down you reach another area, from there you can unlock a shortcut and reach the area boss without ever fighting a single frog. I would suggest searching the rest of the area above first though. But yeah you can totally avoid the curse frogs. They are guarding the Ring of the Evil Eye, which heals you for 30 HP each time you kill any enemy, I never found it that useful frankly. If you're human and still haven't killed the area boss then you can be invaded around the area you reach if you slide down on the right or mddle, you only have to kill one frog to reach the place he invades, and it's cool to see everything in game but not completely necessary unless you're trying to get all the trophies/achievements.

EDIT: Stupid me I forgot, each accumulated point of humanity onscreen, increases your curse resistance. Which is useful information all things considered. It also increaes all defenses, I think the attack increase I mentioned is limited to certain weapon types as well, it's been ages since I played this game, keep remembering stuff. Kinda wanna play again now as well lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 23 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic