• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#461 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Upgrade the fires/estus flasks as soon as you can, as you can't really use them for anything else anyway.

As for armour and upgrades; early on, it's better to learn how to block, roll, and backstab first, to a point where you are you are mostly avoiding getting hit altogether, rather than upgrading a load of armour. Once you can do that you can pretty much run around in a loincloth if you like, and then wear the best looking armour as you find it. Then you can upgrade it rather than wasting a ton on stuff that you'll never wear later in the game.

(I'm not saying that you don't need armour, just that early on its accumulative weight slows you down, as you are lower level with low endurance.To kill the 1st Taurus demon, I ended up taking my new armour off as I was too slow).

Good luck with the game, it just gets better and better.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#462 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

How useful is trying to parry/riposte? Or should I stick to rolling, blocking, and backstabbing!

#463 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostStalker, on 25 July 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

How useful is trying to parry/riposte? Or should I stick to rolling, blocking, and backstabbing!

If you block right then your attack is much stronger, sort of like a "finish him" move from Mortal Combat, it is hard to do but when you nail it, it is awesome, same sort of attack power as the back stab. Some enemies you cannot block or back stab cause they are just that awesome!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#464 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostStalker, on 25 July 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

This also depends hugely on the character type you're using. and the item you're parrying with. I am using a wanderer class
with a scimitar and a parrying dagger. mostly.

You find it improves your parry to have high dexterity and high mobility. so far I have gotten into a good rhythm, the
trick is knowing which enemy you can parry and which enemy you'd rather not.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#465 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Fuck you, Capra Demon! FUCK YOU!
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#466 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Heh.

Does this mean you finally beat it, or did you just get smacked in the head again?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#467 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've been hoarding my titanite, as I'm not sure what upgrades I actually want. I'm swapping between like 3 weapons and 3 sets of armor so it's a difficult decision. Probably best to pick one and upgrade it at this point. I looted a crystal halberd, which is awesomely powerful, but the durability is non-existent so I won't be sticking with that one.

Otherwise this hasn't been too difficult so far. I just dropped Ormstein and the other guy. I guess it helps that I don't like going into boss fights with a lot of souls, so I grind for the level up, and then repeat that a few times as my souls accumulate. The most trouble I had was random exploring in blighttown because my frame rate tanked, which led to many deaths. Then I got cursed too, so I died a ton more trying to escape blighttown and cure myself. Frustrating but fun.

#468 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

In general, use the titanite as fast as you can - as there is always more readily available. However, demon titanite should be hoarded for the select few weapons you really like. Getting more is a real PITA.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#469 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostTraveller, on 30 July 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Heh.

Does this mean you finally beat it, or did you just get smacked in the head again?

Mostly the latter, but I finally beat him this morning. Once I managed to get rid of the dogs and found the stairs up (hard to explore in that cramped area with the dogs cornering you the moment you enter) it was fairly straight forward. But to get to that point was seriously frustrating. In other news, that boss lizard with a maw for a stomach was a comparably cake walk. Had to use the zac efron flask once. I also struggled a bit with the frame rate in Blight Town, but I died because I got impatient with an ogre and one of those other folks there. The second time was because I jumped off a ledge, losing me 17000 souls and 3 humanity from the first death.

I've also just switched to the Dark Knight sword, as I've finally got the stats to use it. It's a bit slower to swing about than the Drake sword, though, so I sometimes end up taking a punch or two from that.

By the way, does anyone know how to upgrade the Zac Efron flask when that mute woman at the Firelink shrine is dead?

This post has been edited by Satan: 30 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

#470 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Any firekeeper can do it. The Anor Londo one and Ash Lake one can do it. You're able to get to the Ash Lake one right now and might have to get further in the game to get to Anor Londo.

#471 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

An update, because I know your dying to hear about my Dark Souls exploits. Did away with that spider woman fairly easily. Given that she was the second boss fight I've cruised through, I thought I'd finally cracked the code and it'd all be smooth sailing from now on. Mr. Ceaseless put an end to that illusion. I'll be back for him later. For now I'm putting all my energy into dying at Sen's Fortress. I feel like Indiana Jones in this place. Only without the whip and the ability to cheat death. Don't think I'll get the girl in the end, either.

#472 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Sometimes when playing other games I envision one of my Dark Souls characters invading that game world. Having survived the horrors of the Catacombs and Lost Izalith to mention some, he would wade through Columbia like a vengeful angel of death.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#473 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Demon/dragon butts have prepared us for almost anything out there.

#474 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Right.

I think I'm getting somewhere in this game. I have the Quelaag sword and have sufficiently buffed up my stamina and vitality. I cleared Anor Londo and now I guess I'm gonna start hunting the bad-ass collective. I entered Seethe layer belonging to Seethe the unscaled and backtracked immediately as it took me my entire Estus reserve to navigate. My character is a flimsy speed and Dex build. pretty nimble with some levels in Pyromancy. I live off risky in-and-out tactics, can't see myself damaging this thing effectively from a distance. Suggestions?

Oh Sidenote: I have a dragonbow of somesort. It's huge and a bit of a dicey bet as it takes ages to draw and the arrows are priced in appendages. It does cause some really heavy damage despite taking ages to line up a shot.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#475 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

The dragonbow is really fun for Player vs Other Player online stuff, not so much for in-game, unless you can find a stationary opponent.

If you're looking for help with the boars immediately upon entering the Duke's Archives, they're very tough enemies that might take some cheap tricks or some very well timed dodges and single smashes with a weapon to do.

If you're further into the Duke's Archives, kill any and all magicians first. That'll get you a long ways in - also, don't carry that many souls in liquid form if you can avoid it.

If you're stuck elsewhere, lemme know and I'll help in spoiler text.

#476 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 December 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

The dragonbow is really fun for Player vs Other Player online stuff, not so much for in-game, unless you can find a stationary opponent.

If you're looking for help with the boars immediately upon entering the Duke's Archives, they're very tough enemies that might take some cheap tricks or some very well timed dodges and single smashes with a weapon to do.

If you're further into the Duke's Archives, kill any and all magicians first. That'll get you a long ways in - also, don't carry that many souls in liquid form if you can avoid it.

If you're stuck elsewhere, lemme know and I'll help in spoiler text.

Thanks man that really helped.

Spoiler

#477 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Chop every dragon's tail that you can.

#478 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Wow that was actually alot easier than I expected. It becam a really bizarre game of Chase the Tail. Had some good playtime today. I got to the four kings. Did not kill em. I am not dealing as much damage as I'd like. Also I'm still made of glass. Thought of armouring up but I lose all my speed and that seems vital as the kings seem set on some kind of timer.

I decided to level up and do some recon exploring the catacombs. Fought a masked necromancer, he died quick against fire attacks. Now I am shitting myself in the dark trying to workout how to get to Neeto. I have figured out that the heads light up. Also these giant skeletons are making it impossible to stack humanity.

#479 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

People beat this game with characters that never go beyond Level 1. So everything can be dodged in this game, it's just a matter of "Do you want to build that type of skill or not?"

Spoiler

#480 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 December 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

People beat this game with characters that never go beyond Level 1. So everything can be dodged in this game, it's just a matter of "Do you want to build that type of skill or not?"

Spoiler

This! I hate heavy armor builds in this game, fights just don't feel right. can't really explain why. Gonna lift my dodge game a try with a +10 Great Scythe. Think I'll track down this ninja flip ring everyones talking about...

I can't imagine finishing this game at Level 1. that's impressive.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users