• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#401 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Might buy those transient curses and do londo like that. Killed that pinwheel guy in the catacombs. I dont mind rushing through them to kill the necromancers but its not the same for the ghosts id imagine. Ill go as far as i can in these catacombs hopefully there is something interesting that way. Looking at the damage done by swods i thin theyre starting to take over magic now. The demon catalyst ive got is very useful though i want logans if i can. How do i free him is it after sheath and is sheaths tail that sword that levels with will power as that would be helpful. Also is there a max level and am i anywhere near the end of the game.

#402 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

there is no 'might' about it - it is the only sensible way to do New Londo. Otherwise you get cursed and run around at half-health in a middling-dangerous (in Dark Souls terms) area? Madness.

If you've killed Pinwheel and do not yet have the Lordvessel, turn back my friend. Get the Lordvessel. You don't want to have to leave the Tomb of Giants the hard way, trust me.

You need the lordvessel to get to Logan as well. Been to Anor Londo yet?

I think the moonlight sword scales with INT. Never got it myself, despite a couple dozen tries ( gonna try the chaos fireball as recommended in this thread as soon as I can)

hard level cap is 999 I think, which is insane, but the amount of souls you need for each level gets crazy - I made it to level 200 with a serious amount of grinding souls. You get significantly more souls per kill on NG+, I wouldn't want to try to reach 200 otherwise.

#403 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

I didn't do the transient curse thing in New Londo. I just used my Artorias sword and a jagged ghost blade that one of them dropped. That's a mighty fun combination to clear rooms. The New Londo Ruins boss killed me about 15 times (got my bloodstain back most times though and didn't lose any humanities I had in the counter). The NPC that helps with that boss, Beatrice, is useless. Absolutely useless.

Going spoilers:
Spoiler

Note, I'm really trying not to use walkthroughs or take specific advice at this point. I'm figuring this stuff out as I go and it's mighty fun that way.

Also, yeah, I'm using the Black Knight Sword +5 an awful lot, as well as my Oolacile Catlyst and Silver Knight Spear +5. I don't have that much intelligence, can't use Soul Spear yet, but I am well rounded enough to take pretty much anything out.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#404 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

You already found Logan didn't you? There's a ladder near his cell. Go up to get a key. It opens the door right at the top, back by the bonfire. Head through there, carefully through the Archives, until you find a cell key for Logan and another bonfire.

Logans catalyst is really strong, but halves the number of spells you can carry.

As to level... you could keep going up to about 700 if you kept going into newgame+, and then newgame++ etc.

And don't rule it out yet - when you reach the end and finish, you get sent back to the start. But you keep your level, souls, and all your gear minus the embers. And all the enemies are now much harder.

Once you have the 4 lord souls, you put them in the lordvessel. This opens the short path to the final boss.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#405 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 18 April 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

there is no 'might' about it - it is the only sensible way to do New Londo. Otherwise you get cursed and run around at half-health in a middling-dangerous (in Dark Souls terms) area? Madness.

If you've killed Pinwheel and do not yet have the Lordvessel, turn back my friend. Get the Lordvessel. You don't want to have to leave the Tomb of Giants the hard way, trust me.

You need the lordvessel to get to Logan as well. Been to Anor Londo yet?

I think the moonlight sword scales with INT. Never got it myself, despite a couple dozen tries ( gonna try the chaos fireball as recommended in this thread as soon as I can)

hard level cap is 999 I think, which is insane, but the amount of souls you need for each level gets crazy - I made it to level 200 with a serious amount of grinding souls. You get significantly more souls per kill on NG+, I wouldn't want to try to reach 200 otherwise.

Yeh I have the Lord vessel and have been to Anor Londo aswell and done that stuff upto ornstein.

View PostTraveller, on 18 April 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

You already found Logan didn't you? There's a ladder near his cell. Go up to get a key. It opens the door right at the top, back by the bonfire. Head through there, carefully through the Archives, until you find a cell key for Logan and another bonfire.

Logans catalyst is really strong, but halves the number of spells you can carry.

As to level... you could keep going up to about 700 if you kept going into newgame+, and then newgame++ etc.

And don't rule it out yet - when you reach the end and finish, you get sent back to the start. But you keep your level, souls, and all your gear minus the embers. And all the enemies are now much harder.

Once you have the 4 lord souls, you put them in the lordvessel. This opens the short path to the final boss.

I got a few keys while there yet none of them opened up the door to Logan. Do you mean up that ladder than back along the top to the archives where i came in? That spell limiter thing sounds terrible why would Logan even have that.

#406 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

The key for Logans cell is in a chest in the archives, near the second bonfire - the one you can warp to and from once its lit (you can't warp from the one in the cells).

The catalyst does huge damage, and is boosted by Int. Having a limit keeps it as a strategic choice rather than the only weapon you'll ever need. If I could walk through this game killing everything with no effort it wouldnt be any fun now, would it?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#407 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

The key is behind a bookcase that moves out to show a secret hallway to the outside. I'll be damned if I remember how I opened it as that was apparently forever ago to my Dark Souls addled brain.

Right now, I'm faffing around upgrading my weapons - seriously upgrading nearly every good weapon I have - and double kindling the bonfires I get around to. Farming Demon Titanite is one of the more frustrating experiences in the game - I'd say more frustrating than the New Londo boss.

The boss in Lost Izalith is unfair though. The attacks chain together too fast to have a chance and I was at level 109 or so. I lost 100k souls and a handful of humanity down there in repeated trial and error. The only good part about it is that once you do the damage to the boss, it stays that way despite the death and resetting.

I'm faffing around because Tomb of Giants scares me. And because Vamos is so hard to get to.

#408 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Yep, but i found the most annoying thing about the Bed of Chaos is that run from the bonfire.

I just farmed a load of dragon scales, and upgraded my Moonlight sword to +5. It looks awesome, and does a sort of beam of green magic with a double handed attack. I was killing Wyverns easily with it.

Got the Fog ring too, which is good for getting close to things without being noticed.

I'm having such a different game as a Sorcerer. The bosses that were easier before are now the harder ones, and the ones I took ages on now drop on my first attempt. Playing with different weapons and armor has changed everything too - Rings I used last time are now redundant, and different ones are equipped all the time.

Amp, if you knock Frampt on the head with a punch or kick or something, he wakes up. You can feed him items you don't need for Souls. Like, theres no way I need the Dragon GreatAxe or Havels club, so I got 5k Souls for each instead. Don't attack him though or he'll go away.

Getting to Vamos is easier if you use the Fall Control spell, and drop down from the ledges above his room. Not easy, but quicker than the other route.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 19 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

#409 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I got to Vamos again, only to realize that I'd forgotten to buy or farm any green titanite shards. Oof.

So I went ahead and did Tomb of Giants, which SUCKED. You know you're fucking scared of a video game when you're inching your guy forwards hundreds of times to see what insanity is going to leap out of the dark at your face.

I now hate something in Tomb of Giants even more than Bonewheels - which by the way somehow fall through the wall near the "regular" entrance to that arena and gift me their souls. There is the bonus of having that awesome farmzone in there, but it's still kinda rough going to get there.

Now I think I'll try to figure out the Artorias of the Abyss levels and hopefully die in less scary situations. Or go to the Great Hollow.

Looking at the world tree roots in Tomb of Giants was awesome too. This world is built on what looks like a section of a multi-multi-branched Yggdrasil or something.

#410 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I just got wasted by the Four Kings. My spells are great, but I had to get close, and I have relatively low HP, so a couple of hits finished me. My Homing spells didn't fire and hit, either.

I killed them easily before with the Furysword - maybe I just need to use my Moonlight sword instead.

#411 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Spell users: are you using the pyromancy Power Within? You get it from a corpse right by the big bug thing that's sticking out of the wall when descending into Blighttown. Put a glove in your second left hand slot and cast it at the beginning of any boss fight. It slowly drains your health but significantly increases magic damage.

Homing is pretty good, but Soul Spear and Crystal Soul Spear are best for killing bosses in my opinion.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#412 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

So I died quite a few times in Royal Wood and with the guardian. Wow.

I haven't used power within, but that might be because I hate what iron flesh does. what is the point of super high defense if I can't move to attack at all?

#413 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Killed the Four Kings, then went all the way through the Demons Ruins with crystal spells and moonlight sword.

Finally took out the Bed of Chaos - that really has to be the most frustrating Boss in the world, ever. Magic was redundant, and my sword was too slow to cut through the last set of roots before I got cooked in the fireblast. I ended up slashing it to bits with the Drake sword as it was faster.

Found a new move for the Moolight sword - running at full speed and attacking does this cool 360 spin. I've now got Int of 52 which meant I killed everything in Izalith no problem.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

#414 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostTraveller, on 21 April 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Killed the Four Kings, then went all the way through the Demons Ruins with crystal spells and moonlight sword.

Finally took out the Bed of Chaos - that really has to be the most frustrating Boss in the world, ever. Magic was redundant, and my sword was too slow to cut through the last set of roots before I got cooked in the fireblast. I ended up slashing it to bits with the Drake sword as it was faster.

Found a new move for the Moolight sword - running at full speed and attacking does this cool 360 spin. I've now got Int of 52 which meant I killed everything in Izalith no problem.

I discovered that spinning attack last night. I use a black knight sword and it deals such a high damage most things die in one go. When running I attack and she spins in a circle. Pretty cool.

So I didn't play Thursday through to Sunday. Then I had a good go yesterday.

Last you heard I was getting raped by Havel. My character was low in every level except intelligence. I had not farmed at all at any stage in the game and I felt that my Dexterity needed improvement. So I farmed 60k souls in the forest. I discovered a bowman and another knight in there as well as the axe weilder, sorceror, assassin and mace guy. I levelled up my Dexterity, strength, vitality and intelligence.

I stripped naked, yekshi mash, and went and fought Havel. I did it first time.

I put some clother back on and went to face the Hydra. This took me 4 goes. Why? I kept falling in the deep end. I was okay cutting off its heads and one wrong step is costly. Yet I did it. Then went and killed the Golden Gollum. After that I went up the steps to go through the forest backwards. I had been in there so many times I know my way around pretty well. I went all the way back to Firelink Shrine. Made my Pyromancy a little stronger, it is now level 8.

So I have 4 attunement spots. One for fire. 3 for Souls.

I then went down into New Londo, Valley of the Drakes and into Blightown. I don't know what the problem was, I think Blightown was the easiest place to go. Butterflies die in one shot, spider things die in one hit, dart snipers die in a couple of soul shots. The fire breathing dogs are the only thing that killed me and that is because all three were waiting at the bottom of the ladder so I couldn't defend myself properly. The boulder throwers and club smashers I hit from afar with magic.

Then Quelaag, piece of piss. She killed me the first time because I stepped into her lava on low health when I was just looking to use my flask. The second time I sniped her a little then got close and hit her a few times with my sword. The bitch went down!!

Rang the second bell. Joined her sisters covenent for Pyro spells and saved it. This is where I am up to. Pretty pleased with myself actually.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#415 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Good job with Havel and Quelaag.

The Black Knight sword is pretty similar to the Moonlight - its just a bit heavier and has a strength bonus instead of Int. Great move though - I was running into groups of 3 of those fire statues, and taking them all out with the same swing. This sword is awesome, when I level Int the sword and spells improve at the same time.

I've got all four lordsouls, time for a trip to Ash Lake, and the DLC area. Soul level 80 now.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

#416 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

How did you get that Sword? Also I have the butterfly soul how do I use that to make things better? What armour do you upgrade and what is awesome and cool looking?

Now I have rang the second bell Sen's fortress is opened up and the Firelink Bonfire is gone, (I hardly use that though), how do I rescue Sir something or other? What is my next option? Valley of the Drakes?

#417 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Valley of the Drakes is more a place between main areas, although its good for farming dragon scales.

The Black knight sword is a drop from the b knights, and you get the Moonlight sword from cutting off the tail of the dragon Seath during the fight, before you kill him.

If you upgrade a spear to +10 you can make the Moonlight Horn spear.

Check previous posts for where to go next. Id say Sens if you just opened it.

#418 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostTraveller, on 22 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Valley of the Drakes is more a place between main areas, although its good for farming dragon scales.

The Black knight sword is a drop from the b knights, and you get the Moonlight sword from cutting off the tail of the dragon Seath during the fight, before you kill him.

If you upgrade a spear to +10 you can make the Moonlight Horn spear.

Check previous posts for where to go next. Id say Sens if you just opened it.

I haven't fought any Dragon other than the Gaping Dragon I think. I was heading towards the wolf guy you were all talking about. The one with the sword. I got killed a couple of times before I reached him because I wasn't equipped properly. I turned it off and will go again tonight.

#419 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I really wish I could play this game while in the hospital with these damnable blood clots in my lung. So to restate my position, I have all four Lord souls, but decided to go to Oolacile and get pwnt by the things there.

Probably won't get to play until Monday the way things are headed, but I will beat this game!

#420 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 April 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I really wish I could play this game while in the hospital with these damnable blood clots in my lung. So to restate my position, I have all four Lord souls, but decided to go to Oolacile and get pwnt by the things there.

Probably won't get to play until Monday the way things are headed, but I will beat this game!

Get well mate, I saw that on facebook. How were you feeling before going?

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users