• You cannot reply to this topic

Chapter One excerpt from Tor.com Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostHarvester, on 02 February 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

You know what? I won't read it.
I am going to distract myself with Death Masks now. :)

I plan to start Death Masks tomorrow! Should help to make these 2-3 weeks a little more bearable.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 02 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

#22 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

i fast readed earlier on, as i am in work as i type. Now i am slow reading and re reading to try and understand everything that has been written. i cannot get enough!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#23 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 02 February 2011 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostHarvester, on 02 February 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

You know what? I won't read it.
I am going to distract myself with Death Masks now. :)

I plan to start Death Masks tomorrow! Should help to make these 2-3 weeks a little more bearable.

i am up to blood rites i think, but when I went to get it from waterstones it wasn't there. The rest of them were there but not that one, so I got a book by Joe Abercrombie which made me fall to sleep within minutes, i then started to read it a while later and again fell asleep. I gave it about 5 chances of capturing my attention at different times of the day and week, I then just shelved it and thought to myself that it is never getting read. I picked up Dust of Dreams and that is where I am at the moment.

#24 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

View PostHetan, on 02 February 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

Then we get back to Cotillion and the three dragons - so Kalse is Ice and it was Eloth who spoke with Seren Pedac, interesting to be both male and female - solves a lot of issues :)

I viewed it to be like Soulcatcher from The Black Company - female, but adopted many different voices just for the hell of it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

View Postamphibian, on 02 February 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 02 February 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

Then we get back to Cotillion and the three dragons - so Kalse is Ice and it was Eloth who spoke with Seren Pedac, interesting to be both male and female - solves a lot of issues :)

I viewed it to be like Soulcatcher from The Black Company - female, but adopted many different voices just for the hell of it.

Ditto on this.

And who do i think the body is Tattersail? I did think QB initially, but with the Heboric reference that i completely missed, i may have to rethink my first instinct opinion.......hmmmm.....probably end up being someone completely different with this series! BTW, i think Bottle is still alive, maybe stuck in some weird D'ivers (but not exactly a true D'ivers that is, to be clear) form via the Wyvals (?), but i digress. 99% likely a very way off theory on that anyhow.

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

Part the first - Cots and Edgy

We've seen this part already. I can't be the only one who thought Cots was about the do something that would require Edgy to try and stop him.

Interesting that although he's a god, Cots is acting like a human about to sacrifice himself.

Part the second - Not so Calm after all.

And Calm is back!
Many suspected that with the FA at the center of whatever is happening we were going to see her again, and there she is.
Apparently she's been busy too. The irony in her expression of power - the chains of her ancestors... vs Karsa who carries around the chains of his victims and their unborn ancestors - is heavy. she also appears way less rational than the last time we saw her.

12 Pures.

12 'pure' FA perhaps? 12 who haven't crossbred with any other race r gone so loopy that they aren't of use any more.

Altho Paran's chapter suggests that there are still others out there, so i'm wondering whether Calm has 12 FA at her call, or legions.

Part the third - Tiste Whine'osan

Man, these guys can't catch a break, can they?

So the presence of the four HoLs (aside - i thought there were more than that. SW suggests at least one more is out there) suggests it was Kadagar who sent the HoL's after Dragnipur.

And now we have thirteen draconic soletaken Liosan. Interesting,

And again, i wonder whether there still remains a Liosan army... SW and the book back suggests there is. in fact the army we saw in SW may have been a completely separate force from these.

Stil, add thirteen dragons to the game...

And I could be wrong, but the monologue at the end there seems to suggest the CG has become their new god. Oh. Hell.

Part the fourth - Cots and Edgy and dragons

Y'know what the real revelation here is...?

Edgy's comment that the dragon's rotting bodies aren't really indicative of anything. Meaning all those supposedly dead dragons Udinaas and co found in RG.... maybe not so dead.

Eloth is Mokra... interesting and explains a LOT. The dragons are the source of personality behind the warrens we've seen ref'd elsewhere. Very, VERY interesting.

There is also a certain logic to the suggestion of a link between the Rooted and Kalse and AMpelas, since the KC supposedly worshipped them.

Part the fifth - Mael, Krul.

It's so totally Heboric under wraps.

Mael's comment on the Bonehunters gave me shivers.

Part the sixth - Udinaas & co.

I don't even quite understand what it is Kilava's proposing to do, but i totally accept that she's capable of it and god i hope we get to see it.

Looks like the living Imass are coming back to the world.

Part the seventh - Where's Iccy?

THERE he is. And it's not looking good, but on the bright side that puts him at ground zero for whatever's coming.

Speculation runs endless, but i wondered for a moment there if we were about to have a hint that Calm, not Kila, was Iccy's mother.

But iirc he was with the Imass when they stuck Calm under a rock, so that explains how she knows him.

Part the eigth - Nimander and Apsalara

I just have to say how thrilled i am to see these characters again, because i had thought they might be entirely left aside after TtH.

great bit of dialogue here and i'm really psyched to see how SE handles these two.

Part the Ninth - Paran and ST

I'm speculating based on little but the Watered and the Shriven certainly seem a lot like the part blood FA's we saw in the Snake storyline back in DoD.

Paran's comments on Rake were interesting and his dialogue with ST was awesome.

On some level it seems like ST really does want everything to line up with Tavore and Ganoes having some deep dark master plan.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 February 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Part the first - Cots and Edgy

We've seen this part already. I can't be the only one who thought Cots was about the do something that would require Edgy to try and stop him.

Interesting that although he's a god, Cots is acting like a human about to sacrifice himself.

Part the second - Not so Calm after all.

And Calm is back!
Many suspected that with the FA at the center of whatever is happening we were going to see her again, and there she is.
Apparently she's been busy too. The irony in her expression of power - the chains of her ancestors... vs Karsa who carries around the chains of his victims and their unborn ancestors - is heavy. she also appears way less rational than the last time we saw her.

12 Pures.

12 'pure' FA perhaps? 12 who haven't crossbred with any other race r gone so loopy that they aren't of use any more.

Altho Paran's chapter suggests that there are still others out there, so i'm wondering whether Calm has 12 FA at her call, or legions.

Part the third - Tiste Whine'osan

Man, these guys can't catch a break, can they?

So the presence of the four HoLs (aside - i thought there were more than that. SW suggests at least one more is out there) suggests it was Kadagar who sent the HoL's after Dragnipur.

And now we have thirteen draconic soletaken Liosan. Interesting,

And again, i wonder whether there still remains a Liosan army... SW and the book back suggests there is. in fact the army we saw in SW may have been a completely separate force from these.

Stil, add thirteen dragons to the game...

And I could be wrong, but the monologue at the end there seems to suggest the CG has become their new god. Oh. Hell.

Part the fourth - Cots and Edgy and dragons

Y'know what the real revelation here is...?

Edgy's comment that the dragon's rotting bodies aren't really indicative of anything. Meaning all those supposedly dead dragons Udinaas and co found in RG.... maybe not so dead.

Eloth is Mokra... interesting and explains a LOT. The dragons are the source of personality behind the warrens we've seen ref'd elsewhere. Very, VERY interesting.

There is also a certain logic to the suggestion of a link between the Rooted and Kalse and AMpelas, since the KC supposedly worshipped them.

Part the fifth - Mael, Krul.

It's so totally Heboric under wraps.

Mael's comment on the Bonehunters gave me shivers.

Part the sixth - Udinaas & co.

I don't even quite understand what it is Kilava's proposing to do, but i totally accept that she's capable of it and god i hope we get to see it.

Looks like the living Imass are coming back to the world.

Part the seventh - Where's Iccy?

THERE he is. And it's not looking good, but on the bright side that puts him at ground zero for whatever's coming.

Speculation runs endless, but i wondered for a moment there if we were about to have a hint that Calm, not Kila, was Iccy's mother.

But iirc he was with the Imass when they stuck Calm under a rock, so that explains how she knows him.

Part the eigth - Nimander and Apsalara

I just have to say how thrilled i am to see these characters again, because i had thought they might be entirely left aside after TtH.

great bit of dialogue here and i'm really psyched to see how SE handles these two.

Part the Ninth - Paran and ST

I'm speculating based on little but the Watered and the Shriven certainly seem a lot like the part blood FA's we saw in the Snake storyline back in DoD.

Paran's comments on Rake were interesting and his dialogue with ST was awesome.

On some level it seems like ST really does want everything to line up with Tavore and Ganoes having some deep dark master plan.

The juxtaposition of Cot's godhood with his lingering humanity is one of my favorite repeating themes of the character, and the entire series.

On the Liosan, I wouldn't be surprised if the army from SW is either unconnected to these 13, or even at odds with them. It looks like Kadagar has been up to some bad, bad shit. I inferred from Apalar's thoughts that Kadagar was responsible for all those leaky bodies on the White Wall. What's interesting to me is that it seems like the Liosan are no where near as united and homogeneous as I would have thought.

For now I'm operating on the assumption that the brief little diatribe from Kaminsod is unconnected to what we saw with the Liosan, it just happens to be the next section. The original formatting issue where there wasn't any kind of split made it all the more confusing. From what little we saw of this band it looked to me like Kadagar is decrying God entirely and trying to step into the power vacuum and establish himself as the "Lord of Light," not promote a new relationship with the Crippled God. Could be wrong though.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#28 User is offline   Sciz 

• Corporal

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

I'm wondering who those two figures are that ST and Paran are talking about, who are apparently leading the troops that are fighting Paran's host. Anyone we know? Or maybe just two random FA's? two Elder Gods?

#29 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

It seems the army is composed of half-blood FA ( Watered and Shriven) like the ones chasing the Snake in DoD and that their led by two pure FA. And apparently not even the Master of the Deck can match their power.

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 04 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 04 February 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

It seems the army is composed of half-blood FA ( Watered and Shriven) like the ones chasing the Snake in DoD and that their led by two pure FA. And apparently not even the Master of the Deck can match their power.

...or CAN he...?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#31 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

Ciceronian- I was also surprised by the lack of unity in the Liosan. Also I think the army we saw in SW must be at odds with the Liosan we see here. A couple of reasons are the fact that the view we see here is at the ruins of the Liosan kharkanas whereas Loric and Ossercs daughter are in shadow, suggesting they fled with a large army. It seems unlikely that Loric and Ossercs daughters (one of many :) )would go against Osserc especially given Lorics actions in HOC for the protection of KT. So maybe what were seeing is those who have pulled away from Father light (the new dragon group) and the faithful to Father light (Loric and the army in Shadow). It seems plausible enough and may explain how there will actually be a battle at Kharkanas with an allaince between the Watch and Lorics Liosan? Ok that last bits a crazy theory.

Crazy theory mark II- Ossercs daughters, of which there are many and Loric will take Soletaken form to battle the new upstart Liosan dragons, which may even lead to Osserc getting involved.

#32 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Could we just remember that this is Apsal'ara we are talking about?
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#33 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

View Posttiam, on 04 February 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

I think the army we saw in SW must be at odds with the Liosan we see here.... It seems plausible enough and may explain how there will actually be a battle at Kharkanas with an allaince between the Watch and Lorics Liosan? Ok that last bits a crazy theory.

I really like this part.

oh, Heboric - guilt sandwich anyone?

By the way HOLY CRAPOLA, that was awesome
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#34 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

View PostHetan, on 04 February 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

A real stop, pause moment huh! The God who stole past Silanah to break into Moon Spawn... Hmmm

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#35 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostHetan, on 04 February 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

what? is she gonna steal kaminsods heart?

apsal'ara, resident deity organ bank?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#36 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

Crazy theory

With Pats review stressing the need for rereads because of the amount of foreshadowing could we see a reurn of FL? Its plausible now that MD is back in the picture and with over empmhasis of balance in TTH it seems plausible that he could return to 'save' the Liosan from themselves. Just a thought as the Liosan seem to be playing a larger role in the TCG than any of us thought. I relly thought wed only see solid POV's in the Kharkanas trilogy.

#37 User is offline   Hoods Balls 

• Malazan Heavy Infantry
  • Interests:Cheating Death, Soldiering, Hunting, Soul Harvesting, Chemistry, Alchemy and Advanced Lipides.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

I wonder where Ganoes and the Host are. At first I thought they were in Aren:

"Tell me again how this is better than Aren" Boil ask Ganoes and then ST to Ganoes:
"You sit with the Host in Aren, defying every imperial summons. And then you assault the Warrens with this"

but Boil says better than

and the kids must be some FA offspring from DoD. We know the Host makes some kind of landing somewhere and I suppose they're not in 7Cs anymore.
I can't wait to read the scene where Ganoes Stobro Paran reunites with her sister..
The superfluous, that very necessary thing

How to cheat Death: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=38...03730&hl=sv

#38 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

View PostHoods Balls, on 07 February 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I wonder where Ganoes and the Host are. At first I thought they were in Aren:

"Tell me again how this is better than Aren" Boil ask Ganoes and then ST to Ganoes:
"You sit with the Host in Aren, defying every imperial summons. And then you assault the Warrens with this"

but Boil says better than

and the kids must be some FA offspring from DoD. We know the Host makes some kind of landing somewhere and I suppose they're not in 7Cs anymore.
I can't wait to read the scene where Ganoes Stobro Paran reunites with her sister..

her sister??

#39 User is offline   Hoods Balls 

• Malazan Heavy Infantry
  • Interests:Cheating Death, Soldiering, Hunting, Soul Harvesting, Chemistry, Alchemy and Advanced Lipides.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

My bad...HIS sister of course. They may want to talk about her sister though :p
The superfluous, that very necessary thing

How to cheat Death: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=38...03730&hl=sv

#40 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

View PostHoods Balls, on 07 February 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

My bad...HIS sister of course. They may want to talk about her sister though :p

i like what you did there, there is so much from the first 10 pages, even if the first half of the book is build up it will be exciting build up, finding out about our favourite characters :p

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users