Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Praise for Erikson and Esslemont because I can

#1 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

While searching these forums, I see many threads criticizing various aspects of both Malazan author's writing. Admittedly, I also see topics on the badassery of characters, and some other positives, along with crazy theory and speculation topics. However, I don't see enough straight up love for the wonderful world of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Steven Erikson, we love you. Thank you for co-creating this world that is so deep and has such an expansive history. Thank you for making me shed tears and breaking my heart so many times throughout these books. Thank you for introducing me to characters that I grow to love and hate. Thank you for the comedy, the wit, the politics, the love, the war, the pure tragedy. Thank you for this epic masterpiece. Be it the Mhybe, or Kruppe's narration, every single part of each of these books means so much to me, and is such a huge influence on me, and I can't even describe how thankful I am.

Ian C. Esslemont, we love you too. You helped create the Malazan world, and without you the series would not even exist. I thank you for providing more background on the Malazan Empire through Night of Knives, and I thank you for introducing so many new and interesting characters and storylines in Stonewielder and Return of the Crimson Guard. You mean just as much to this series as Erikson, and I am truly glad that you decided to write alongside him.

The upcoming end of the series has made me all emotional... ohgod.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

Sure... why not...?

This series, all of it, by both authors, is amazing. It is in my extensively informed and deeply considered opinion, the single best body of fantasy lit work in existance. Other books, other authors, may do some specific things better (tho little comes to mind), but there is no one single series out there that is overall superior to these books. I will re-read this series multiple times before i leave this planet. I thank the authors yearly by pre-paying dollars for hardbacks as soon as they are announced and telling other people to do so.

- Abyss, fan.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Nice to see :w00t:

#4 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

I couldnt agree more. Some art keeps living within you so that it feels like part of you, changes the way your associations and imagination flow and makes them richer. Cant help but feel gratitude when that happens.

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

Pretty much all of us who visit this board love SE and ICE. Otherwise why would we hanging around here. There are other ways to waste time.
That being said, the relationship is sort of like that between God's and worshippers, as described in SE's books.

They are gods because of us (we buy their books, we sacrifice our time, we advocate for them) but we can be a pain to them, stealing their power/time (forcing them to make a commitment to us).

SE/ICEhave been benevolent gods but not necessarily easy (SE's books are hard to read and sometimes we bitch about that)
Other gods (GRRM for ex) have turned away from their fans (er.. worshippers i meant).

Hope neither of them goes D'rek on us :-)

#6 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

Read your books, don't smoke em D:

- Needless to say we all love them and their work (and if you say there is not enough straight up love, you haven't looked around that well), but that should not stifle legitimate and honest criticism.

#7 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

Oh the love of us all isn't in question. Nor is the right to criticism. I just wanted to show my love.

#8 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

Posted Image *grunts his understanding*

Now I need to hide.

#9 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Eh Nacht you scare me a little :w00t:

#10 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

View PostPig Iron, on 30 January 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

Eh Nacht you scare me a little :w00t:

Ha Ha. It looks like my wit has become too obtuse.
I was just making fun of how SE treats gods. (they are more like modern-day Celebrities than Gods).
I personally am an atheist, btw

#11 User is offline   epicfantasynerd 

• Recruit

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

View Postnacht, on 30 January 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

Pretty much all of us who visit this board love SE and ICE. Otherwise why would we hanging around here. There are other ways to waste time.
That being said, the relationship is sort of like that between God's and worshippers, as described in SE's books.

They are gods because of us (we buy their books, we sacrifice our time, we advocate for them) but we can be a pain to them, stealing their power/time (forcing them to make a commitment to us).

SE/ICEhave been benevolent gods but not necessarily easy (SE's books are hard to read and sometimes we bitch about that)
Other gods (GRRM for ex) have turned away from their fans (er.. worshippers i meant).

Nicely put.

Been reading Fantasy for close to 30 years now and SE/ICE have created (imo) the most comprehensive and entertaining world of all time. Can not get enough.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users