Malazan Empire: Orb, Sceptre, Throne - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Orb, Sceptre, Throne .... and the Deck of Dragons

#21 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

View PostBubba, on 09 March 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

Some times it sucks to be an Admin........I don't get TCG until tomorrow......please just use the spoiler tags

stay away and let the others do admin until you've read it...
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#22 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostHetan, on 17 January 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 16 January 2011 - 09:39 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 16 January 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

Grub, Nil and Nether. It's a triumvirate.

What happened to Sinn?

oh yeah - bugger - that ruined the idea... no wait - there's one missing Crown, Sceptre, Orb and Throne.. Hah! I knew there was something wrong.

tCG

Spoiler

i bet you were dying to tell everyone, i admire your self restraint for months!!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#23 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

tCG
Spoiler

Is there still talk of the title changing? On my recent reread of the series I pulled down a quote (that I need to go find) where I think ICE writes "Scepter and Throne" in reference to the Malazan Empire specifically (think the Claw symbol). I think that would make a lot of sense since ICE's novels primarily deal with the Malazan Empire in "current day" while SE focuses on ancillary and splinter groups that have left the Empire. So perhaps some double meaning? The Malazans return to Darujhistan?
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

I would be vastly surprised if any of these suggested characters (Nil, Nether, Grub, Sinn, etc) were to be in this book at all. What reason do any of them have to go to Darujhistan?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

View PostD, on 10 March 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

I would be vastly surprised if any of these suggested characters (Nil, Nether, Grub, Sinn, etc) were to be in this book at all. What reason do any of them have to go to Darujhistan?

Well, I wasn't referring to Nil, Nether, and Grub as the focus of the book, but just as a general concept (see: Gamet in HoC before he dies). Like I said above, I think the title is a more likely reference to the Malazan Empire than characters who represent those cards in the Deck. But I'd have to agree that it is unlikely they will appear in Darujhistan.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#26 User is offline   TheSword 

• Sword Bodyguard
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan. Of course. Other Fantasies. Some Anime. Manga. Writing my own Novel.
  • Hulloo! I'm a Malazan mastermind of the series. I've read ALL of the novels except Crippled God and Esslemont's upcomming Stonewielder in US.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

Perhaps we should slow down and think. Who's in Daruhjustan who could fit these roles?

We have...

Kruppe.
Vorcan - (Oooh I think she has a role no DOUBT)
Rallick Nom (definite candidate)
Baruk
The kid of Stonny's. Harllo
That T'lan Imass.
Picker
Antsy
Blend.
Fisher
Envy
Barathol Mekhar
Fisher - (ooh. Fisher, he's got something going on, a one book wonder's not enough for him.)

I haven't read TCG yet but and idk if Orb, Sceptre, and Throne happens before or after TCG, but after TTH Karsa Orlong was told to remain in Darujhistan, perhaps he's got a role?
Cutter-Crokus? Maybe he's still around?

Candidates for the three roles however...
idk.
Picker has a Mortal Sword air about her for a war-god.

Nil and Nether are still on Quon. Maybe they go to Darujhistan but... why? What purpose have they to go there? They have Politics on freedom of the Wickans to go over. (Return of the Crimson Guard ends on this statement)

Grub's with the Bonehunters on Lether, other side of the world. How's he gonna get to Darujhistan?
(Again I have NOT read TCG yet, and do NOT know if it takes place AFTER TCG or BEFORE it.)

Traveler's still in Darujhistan maybe...?

Caladan Brood...?

Suggestions only. Idk if I revealed any spoilers if so I apologise.

#27 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:29 AM

Please tell where the spoiler is from (ex. tCG spoiler, not just spoiler), I though the date of your post was from before tCG came out. :(

#28 User is offline   Daeghrefn 

• Corporal

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

View PostD, on 10 March 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Karsa appeared in TCG despite still being in Darujhistan so I wouldn't rule them out. I wouldn't rule ANYTHING out at this point.

#29 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:52 AM

Dassem left Darujhistan. He's heart-broken and wandering somewhere else for now.

Derudanal is still alive and a member of the Cabal, right?

I think the Tyrant makes an appearance here. That's the only reason for the Humble Measure storyline to have popped in and popped out as it did.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

View Postamphibian, on 11 March 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

Dassem left Darujhistan. He's heart-broken and wandering somewhere else for now.

Derudanal is still alive and a member of the Cabal, right?

I think the Tyrant makes an appearance here. That's the only reason for the Humble Measure storyline to have popped in and popped out as it did.

Well, his extreme hatred of the Malazans lead to the retired BBs' conflict. There's a fair number of plot-lines in TtH that may not ever have any post-TtH significance or development:

-the retired BBs fighting assassins and stuff
-Scillara, Barathol and Chaur
-Rallick's return and the Assassin's Guild politics
-Torvald's job and "Lady Verada" fending off assassins/taking a council seat, including her curious guards

I think some of these will be or lead to new plots in OST, but I doubt all of them will. Scillara and Barathol I think have their happy ending and won't be doing much in OST. Picker, Blend and Antsy had their tragic ending and again I really don't anticipate to see them much (except maybe a cameo of Blend appearing out of nowhere when you least expect it).

The thing is that characters/places/things can still be important without us seeing them much. Even if Grizzin Farl's magic Tyrant Toast is buried under K'rul's Bar, it doesn't mean we'll be getting Picker PoVs and BBs duking it out with assassins again. How much Laseen was in NoK? How much Cowl/Topper was in RotCG? How much Greymane was in SW? You get the idea.

But here's hoping Sergeant Jumpy got transfered to the Malazan Embassy in Darujhistan after RotCG...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#31 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

I hope we learn about that Tiste Andii assassin in the tower - the name eludes me! But I expect her to come out and play...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#32 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Latest word is that the book is called Throne and Orb and will be out on December 8th. They're still tweaking the title, though.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 11 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#33 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostWerthead, on 11 March 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

Latest word is that the book is called Throne and Orb and will be out on December 8th. They're still tweaking the title, though.

Scepter and Throne works the best for me of the three suggested so far.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#34 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

I think "Orb" in the title anywhere just makes it awkward.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#35 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

View Postamphibian, on 11 March 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 11 March 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

Scepter and Throne works the best for me of the three suggested so far.

Agreed sceptre and throne atleast would make sense to those who havnt read the books before, and ties nicely with a new royal power.

This post has been edited by tiam: 12 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

#36 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

So I had this dream last night that I got Orb Sceptre Throne from a LINK in the malazan forums...I know I know...dreams should be about being radically badass or getting loads of hot naked elf women...or whatever...I dream about Malaz so SHUT UP!

so I was dreaming and I clicked on this link from this guy who said the ONLY way to get OST was through him...and BOOM! a 1200 page hardbacked bastard is in my hands...and oh wow its not called orb sceptre throne

its called...The Black Winged Lord...and on the front is this glorious picture of a shadow humanoid with deep glowing eyes and wings like black smoke...on the side and to seperate each individual part of the book is a faint outline of Anomander Rake and it is with glee that I realise that ICE was kidding the whole time with the stupid title and is infact blowing the world of malaz up way out of expectations and giving us something monstrous...

then I woke up

Now...i know not everyone likes the Tiste Andii...actually...I get bored...but I love draconus and I think its my love for him thats begging him to be in this book. and Karsa...and the seguleh....especially them....if not...then...well....

I might cry myself to sleep and have to dream of all that crap again

#37 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:10 AM

View PostVaddon Ra, on 17 October 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

So I had this dream last night that I got Orb Sceptre Throne from a LINK in the malazan forums...I know I know...dreams should be about being radically badass or getting loads of hot naked elf women...or whatever...I dream about Malaz so SHUT UP!

so I was dreaming and I clicked on this link from this guy who said the ONLY way to get OST was through him...and BOOM! a 1200 page hardbacked bastard is in my hands...and oh wow its not called orb sceptre throne

its called...The Black Winged Lord...and on the front is this glorious picture of a shadow humanoid with deep glowing eyes and wings like black smoke...on the side and to seperate each individual part of the book is a faint outline of Anomander Rake and it is with glee that I realise that ICE was kidding the whole time with the stupid title and is infact blowing the world of malaz up way out of expectations and giving us something monstrous...

then I woke up

Now...i know not everyone likes the Tiste Andii...actually...I get bored...but I love draconus and I think its my love for him thats begging him to be in this book. and Karsa...and the seguleh....especially them....if not...then...well....

I might cry myself to sleep and have to dream of all that crap again

You're lucky. I never remember my dreams.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users