• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Orb, Sceptre, Throne .... and the Deck of Dragons

#1 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

So, as has become common knowledge, the Darujhistan novel by esslemont will be named: Orb, Sceptre, Throne....

I just went through the list of unaligned in the deck of Dragons, and there are the cards: Orb, Sceptre and Throne....

any thoughts on this ?
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#2 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 16 January 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

So, as has become common knowledge, the Darujhistan novel by esslemont will be named: Orb, Sceptre, Throne....

I just went through the list of unaligned in the deck of Dragons, and there are the cards: Orb, Sceptre and Throne....

any thoughts on this ?

Except that I still think it's a bad title and will jump at every opportunity to belabor that point, no matter how annoying it is....

Curious as to why it's these three. What about Crown and Obelisk? Then there's Chain, Master of the Deck and Oponn, all of which are unaligned. Not to mention the others that came in post-Bonehunters (Salvation, Apocalypse, etc.)

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

As far as I understand every ascendant gets a card. The unaligned are either Ascendants or positions of power the ascendants once filled. They are basically power blocks outside the main body of cards connected with the house.

Chain is the Crippled God.
Obelisk is Burn.
Oponn is the Twins.
Master of the Deck needs no explanation.
I believe K'rul is at one point connected with Orb.

A crazy theory could be that Orb, Scepter and Throne are different sides of K'rulls magic system. The three names symbolising, K'rul, Mocra and the entity that "is always turned away" from Mocra.

#4 User is offline   quicker than ben 

• Recruit

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

Grub is the sceptre
Gesler the orb
Stormy the throne

I'm sure they're listed in a glossary in one of the books as that

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hmm. Weird. MS, ST and Destriant?

#6 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Although some of those aspects are definite in some way (that evades my fullest understanding) I think the fundamental rule of Just Because Someone Occupies a Specific Position in a House (or in this case, as an unaligned) It Doesn't Necessarily Mean the Corresponding Card in the Deck Always Indicates Their Involvement. These are things that change across continents and circumstance (for example Obelisk being an inactive card in 7C but then emerging with some apparent correlation to Icarium in DG.) Orb has definitely come out for K'rul on Genebackis before, but on Lether in DoD it comes out for Gesler.

All this to say, it's possible that figuring out which gods/characters have had correlations to these Unaligneds won't grant too much insight into the key players and events in this (horrifically titled) book.

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 16 January 2011 - 08:23 PM, said:

Hmm. Weird. MS, ST and Destriant?

Stormy and Gesler are the Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil of the K'Chain Che Malle. Grub has, as of Dust of Dreams, nothing to do with the KCCM at all.

The cards are unaligned and represent whoever at whatever point. See Ciceronian's post above mine.

Although, I think the shortened potential title Scepter and Throne works alright, I agree with him about "OST" being a terrible title.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Grub, Nil and Nether. It's a triumvirate.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

View PostHetan, on 16 January 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

What happened to Sinn?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

I was thinking of Grub, Sinn and Coltaine, myself.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Maybe. ICE's agents are listing the book as just Sceptre and Throne at the moment (with a December 2011 release date), so the title may not be 100% decided on yet.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#12 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

View PostWerthead, on 17 January 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

Maybe. ICE's agents are listing the book as just Sceptre and Throne at the moment (with a December 2011 release date), so the title may not be 100% decided on yet.

By the Enchantress, thank the Autumn Worm.

#13 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 January 2011 - 09:39 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 16 January 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

What happened to Sinn?

oh yeah - bugger - that ruined the idea... no wait - there's one missing Crown, Sceptre, Orb and Throne.. Hah! I knew there was something wrong.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#14 User is offline   TheSword 

• Sword Bodyguard
  • Interests:Malazan. Of course. Other Fantasies. Some Anime. Manga. Writing my own Novel.
  • Hulloo! I'm a Malazan mastermind of the series. I've read ALL of the novels except Crippled God and Esslemont's upcomming Stonewielder in US.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

any thoughts on this ?

Well. In Dust of Dreams there was a Reading of the Deck of Dragons near the start of the Novel by Fiddler ( so you know it's gotta be serious)

anyways it had something to do with Gesler and Stormy. Throne and Orb and Sceptre, Gesler was one of these adn Stormy was another. I read it a while ago my memory isnt 100% accurate, go over that novel and you'll figure it out.

#15 User is offline   Yeddan 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Books, music, traveling, photography, guitar, movies

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostTheSword, on 05 March 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

any thoughts on this ?

Well. In Dust of Dreams there was a Reading of the Deck of Dragons near the start of the Novel by Fiddler ( so you know it's gotta be serious)

anyways it had something to do with Gesler and Stormy. Throne and Orb and Sceptre, Gesler was one of these adn Stormy was another. I read it a while ago my memory isnt 100% accurate, go over that novel and you'll figure it out.

Just to let you know and I am sorry for the spoiler

Spoiler

"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail—should we fall—we will know that we have lived"
Anomander Rake.

#16 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

I caught myself just in time so I didn't read the whole sentence. I'm not certain of the spoiler policy in the forthcoming novels forum, but surely a large-ish TCG spoiler such as that should be, well...spoiler'd properly in spoiler tags so that one doesn't just read it accidentally?

It's kind of annoying for people who are still reading or haven't yet read TCG, when unmarked spoilers just pop out of nowhere. It would be understandable if this were the TCG subforum but it's not.

Could we get a mod to sort it out if it's deemed necessary? Only trying to protect the innocent...and myself.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#17 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

I'm fairly sure in forthcoming novels, all spoilers from previous books are fair game. Might be wrong though.

Am I the only one who thinks that the title has more to do with the former tyrant of Darujhistan, and, by extension, their pickled Seguleh that were discovered?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#18 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Aye, I suppose it does say so back on the Forums page so I can't complain. In my opinion, putting things inside spoiler tags doesn't hurt, though, especially while so many people are still reading/waiting for TCG.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#19 User is offline   TheSword 

• Sword Bodyguard
  • Interests:Malazan. Of course. Other Fantasies. Some Anime. Manga. Writing my own Novel.
  • Hulloo! I'm a Malazan mastermind of the series. I've read ALL of the novels except Crippled God and Esslemont's upcomming Stonewielder in US.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hmm.
Spoiler

Composure returned.

Anyways. If they die then I don't have a single clue... WAIT!!!

Didn't they say something about Picker having some important role to play?

May it's got something to do with the remaining three Bridgeburners Picker Antsy and Blend. Three names. etc. Refuse to die, Ascendents in their own right.

Could be anything.

#20 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Some times it sucks to be an Admin........I don't get TCG until tomorrow......please just use the spoiler tags

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users