• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Was I the only one that missed the reference to Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Books

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

Ipshank and Manask in the Bonehunters? Noto Boil is talking to Paran about his past and mentions Ipshank as a great healer and loyal to Greymane. Is there more mentin of them elsewhere that I missed?
HAIL THE MARINES!

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

Nope, and they're in a chapter header somewhere in MOI I think about how Ipshank, the last official Destriant of Fener before NAMELESS PERSON WHO HAD HIS HANDS CUT OFF COUGHHEBORICCOUGH would have taken the position, fled across some icefields during the Last Flight of Manask and vanished.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

That's the only other mention I know of, and that reference in BH is what made me so excited to read more about them.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   KingTeholBeddict 

• A sword (look down)

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 16 January 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

Nope, and they're in a chapter header somewhere in MOI I think about how Ipshank, the last official Destriant of Fener before NAMELESS PERSON WHO HAD HIS HANDS CUT OFF COUGHHEBORICCOUGH would have taken the position, fled across some icefields during the Last Flight of Manask and vanished.

What? What? What? But... doesn't Heboric say that the last official destriant lived a thousand years before?
"I'm having one of those things... A headache with pictures." An Idea? "Yeah, that's it!"

#5 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

I knew the names but for the life of me couldn't recall the story. Which is quite a depressing indication of the quality of my memory, as I'm doing a read through atm and had quite literally only just finished MoI when I read Stonewielder. Sigh.

#6 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

MoI...

The Last Mortal Sword of Fener's Reve was Fanald of Cawn Vor, who was killed in the Chaining. The last Boar-cloaked Destriant was Ipshank of Korelri, who vanished during the Last Flight of Manask on the Stratem Icefields. Another waited to claim that title, but was cast out from the temple before it came to him, and that man's name has been stricken from all records. It is known, however, that he was from Unta; that he had begun his days as a cutpurse living on its foul streets, and that his casting out from the temple was marked by the singular punishment of Fener's Reve…
Temple Lives Birrin Thund

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

View PostKingTeholBeddict, on 16 January 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

What? What? What? But... doesn't Heboric say that the last official destriant lived a thousand years before?

That was Quick Ben in MoI after his sorcerous communication with Karnadas and Brukhalian. IIRC he says something like 'there hasn't been a real Destriant in a thousand years'. Quick Ben suggests it's for show, and in the same book there's mention that the last Mortal Sword of Fener was killed in the (presumably last) Chaining, and the last Destriant was Ipshank. Timeline-wise, that would invalidate Karnadas' and Brukhalian's claim to both titles if we take that info as correct, as Greymane says he received his sword (and was denounced soon after) decades before the events of SW.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostMTS, on 16 January 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

That was Quick Ben in MoI after his sorcerous communication with Karnadas and Brukhalian. IIRC he says something like 'there hasn't been a real Destriant in a thousand years'. Quick Ben suggests it's for show, and in the same book there's mention that the last Mortal Sword of Fener was killed in the (presumably last) Chaining, and the last Destriant was Ipshank. Timeline-wise, that would invalidate Karnadas' and Brukhalian's claim to both titles if we take that info as correct, as Greymane says he received his sword (and was denounced soon after) decades before the events of SW.

Well, one could presume that QB simply doesn't know about Ipshank or Fanald (alternatively, if Fanald died in the first chaining, not an issue). Or he could know of them but not happened to know they were the real deal. Ipshank is Theftian and converted to Fener, for all we know he never even left the continent, while we know next to nothing of Fanald, not even whether Cawn Vor is the same as Cawn. Putting aside QB's statement, Fanald's death and Ipshank un-becoming the Destriant of Fener could easily have both occured before Karnadas and Brukhalian became these roles.

We can't know for sure, but the Grey Swords could easily have used those same titles honorifically before they got them for real, or Fener could have had multiple mortals in the roles, as well.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Isn't there a ref to Manask in another book? Something like '...during the last flight of Manask across the icefields...' or such?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Psst, Abyss, three posts up...

This post has been edited by MTS: 17 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Isn't there a ref to Manask in another book? Something like '...during the last flight of Manask across the icefields...' or such?

View PostMTS, on 17 January 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

Psst, Abyss, three posts up...

Umm... yessss...., i, of course, meant the Second to Last Flight of Manask... which is only referred to in end notes of the limited letterbox hand illustrated pre advanced release director's cut version of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach Go To White Castle that SE handed out at FantasyCon in 2007 at the pub after the after party... you would have known that if you were a REAL fan.

- Abyss, ...never retreats, never surrenders...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

View PostD, on 16 January 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

View PostMTS, on 16 January 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

Well, one could presume that QB simply doesn't know about Ipshank or Fanald (alternatively, if Fanald died in the first chaining, not an issue). Or he could know of them but not happened to know they were the real deal. Ipshank is Theftian and converted to Fener, for all we know he never even left the continent, while we know next to nothing of Fanald, not even whether Cawn Vor is the same as Cawn. Putting aside QB's statement, Fanald's death and Ipshank un-becoming the Destriant of Fener could easily have both occured before Karnadas and Brukhalian became these roles.

The book could also have been written before Brukhalian and Karnadas came to officially fill those roles. The events described are at least 10 years before MoI, likely more. The position of Knight of Death was presumably empty for quite a while between Dassem's break with Hood and Baudin stepping up to the plate as well, so there could have been a similar situation there.

Came across this in my SW re-read yesterday. Interaction between Ipshank and the Lady in the Cloister:

‘A pity. Now you are bereft. You betray me, and then that god you clove to … the one your grunting ancestors squirmed before...the beast...you rejected him as well! Such an honour he offered you! Destriant! Arch-priest! And now he is cast down. Who could possibly be next for you? Truly, I am curious. Who will you run to next?'

Now, there is no mention of acceptance, but it does sort of reinforce the notion that Quick Ben was wrong and Ipshank was a 'real' Destriant. He's likely wrong anyway, as we have two likely candidates (Ipshank and Karnadas) and the Lady and presumably a priest of Fener corroborate Ipshank's story.

Totally missed he was an eminent priest of the Lady beforehand in my first read-through by the way:

Bakune stared at the man. Ipshank? Where had he heard that name before? Of course! Renegade! One of the highest of the Lady’s hierarchy to throw off her worship. That was during the first invasion. The animal tattooing … turned to one of the foreign gods then.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users