Malazan Empire: The Depths of the Hive - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Depths of the Hive Alens, Starsearch, Travaz, Stumpy, Cimsran.

#41 User is offline   The Lord Inquisitor 

• Corporal
  • Pip
  • Group: Knoll Barrow Alts
  • Interests:Rooting out heresy.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

With the squeal and screech of grinding metal, the elevator suddenly began plummeting. The runes indicating levels of the hive ticked away, almost faster than the antiquated display could cope with, and everyone was now clutching at the nearest solid protrusion to keep themselves from floating from the floor.

"Travaz!" Alens yelled as loud as he could over the rush of air and screaming brakes, "DO SOMETHING!" The enginseer, not only being the most qualified but also the closest to the central console when the lift began to fall, was their best bet at survival.

The speed of the descent was startling, fast enough it was actually hard to breathe due to the rapid movement of air, and, judging by the blurred level icons, they were rapidly approaching level 0, beyond which lay the sub-levels and the end of this elevator shaft. At best, they had minutes before they reached that end. Alens could barely even keep his eyes open now, and his thoughts turned to the possible death of Raquelia, the others...this mission was quickly going downhill, if one forgives the pun.

OOC: Gonna leave that open for Talic's reactions, and then you can try to resolve this problem, Travaz. Assume our guardsmen are holding on for dear life, and poor Stumpy is probably doing so upside-down due to his size and weight. Also, remember that this lift *shouldn't* go all the way to sub-level 64, but given the odd goings-on in this part of town, I'm thinking it actually might, hmm? :thumbsup:

#42 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

Everyone starts shouting at once, panic rising.

Talic tries to get closer to cimsran or Alens, he remembers hearing once taht if your in a plummeting lift the best thing to do was jump on someone else just before you hit the ground...

"Techpriest do something!" He screamed.

OOC theres not much i can do whilest trapped in a lift....

#43 User is offline   Faelus Cartinor 

• Rune Mechanic
  • Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

Vox, singular engagement, Travaz Malakai said:

Spoiler

#44 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

Wind tearing at his robes, Travaz clawed his way to the console, bionic fingers grabbing at the grilled flooring of the lift for extra leverage every step. He probably stood a good chance of simply walking, weighed down by his augmentations, but the risks certainly weren't worth it. Clambering over to the console, he moved to enter an emergency stop code, but upon seeing the lightless keypad, lowered his hand to the console's maintenance panel immediately below. A pull at the handle - locked. Flattening his fingers, Travaz jabbed his hand through the gap in the panel inbetween the hinges, the thin cover yielding easily to his enhanced strength. Ripping the panel free, his utility mechadendrite slipping out from under his robes and extending several tools and a light to illuminate the wiring within, for Malakai to activate the emergency brakes. The moment the light hit the inside both the mechadendrite and Travaz flinched back. "By the Omnissiah!" The wiring had been... altered, somehow, cables cut free and retied in a disturbing pattern that started flooding his cybereyes with static and his cogitators with white noise and... pain. He hadn't felt physical pain in years.

Breaking away with an effort, Travaz subvocalised to the others, "The moment we stop falling, that console needs to die."
"What?"
"Why?"
"You'll see. I'm going to activate the manual release. If that doesn't work... Oh, rust it! I'll make it work. Now, when I yell brace, BRACE!"

Reeling from the warped console, he moved to the grill that covered the usual location of the manual brake on this model of hive elevator, tied his kitbag immediately behind him, and grabbed hold of the grill with both hands. Reaching back with his servoarms as far as he could, he plunged them both over his shoulders into and through the gratings either side of the grill, opening the grips fully and locking himself in place. The utility mechadendrite extended its cutting torch and Travaz began cutting a wide circle in the grill around his hands. The white actinic light of the torch was near blinding in the dimly lit shaft as it moved smoothly from one link to the next. Molten metal dripped upwards from the severed ends of the grill, droplets alighting on his robe and the ones not cooled by the rushing wind igniting slightly while Travaz worked, uncaring. He dulled his audioreceptors to drown out the screeching of metal and rumble of movement from the massive platform falling as he finally burned through the final link. Tossing the grill aside with both hands, the torch retracted, glowing slightly, as the light extended again and showed the Enginseer the manual brake release. It was a large, brutally crude lever, clearly designed to be used by three men at the least. Stunningly impractical, yet this model of lift was so reliable it almost never had to be used.

"Don't mean to distract you, techpriest, but you're on fir-"
"Then don't distract me!"

Travaz slipped into the opening, feet planted firmly on one side of the brake as he grabbed it firmly. His servoarms stretched out to give him as much play as possible as he got into optimal position, servomotors ready to exert themselves to the fullest. The smoke flowing past him would normally concern him, but it could wait to be worried over after this task was accomplished. Malakai readied himself, then maximised the volume on his speakers.

"Warp damn it, Travaz! You're burning u-"
"BRACE!"

He threw his full force against the lever, servomotors screaming as they worked against the massive brake. It resisted at first, then with an almighty CTHUNK it flipped up, slamming out the emergency brakes to all sides of the falling elevator. The effect was immediate - all the men on the platform slammed into the hard surface, and the screeching of brakes increased tenfold at first, then descended from the crescendo as it began to slow, gradually. The lift had started lowering at a speed slower than its original descent when Talic looked up, then over and said shakily, "Well, that wasn't so ba-"

The elevator dropped out the bottom of the shaft, falling freely past the molten ends of the severed floor down the vast gap between unfinished hive sublevel sectors. Yelled shouts echoed out into the darkness as the platform began to spin in freefall, before smashing into the nearest side and bouncing most of the group onto the hard concrete floor of an abandoned sublevel edge. Alens picked himself up, wincing in pain, then looked around the party. Cimsran staggered to his feet, as Stumpy stayed where he had rolled, longlas somehow out and aimed as he scanned the surrounding area. Talic was lying down, wincing in what seemed like a suspiciously melodramatic way, while Travaz-

Alens spun. Travaz was still on the platform, trying to pull a servoarm out from the grating it had locked itself into, now jammed itself from the grating warping under the force of the impact. The platform teetered in the corner of a support pillar and the opposite side of the sublevel, the unfinished section's missing walls the only reason the group hadn't smashed into them and fell down the near-endless shaft. Metal ground as the elevator started to slip further towards the shaft as the Enginseer struggled with his wayward servoarm, his robe merrily blazing away around him with the lack of updraft blowing it out.

"Cut it loose and run, techpriest!" Talic yelled from besides Alens, having materialised beside him without him noticing.
"I'd rather die then lose one of my gifts, Starsearch!" came the voxed reply.
"You'll get the chance to do both in a moment!"

The servoarm came free finally, bright shining tears in the paint visible on the surface, and Travaz turned and ran towards the edge nearest the void. The added weight as the burning techpriest clomped his way down the perilously steep slope tipped the balance, the platform groaning omniously as it began to topple into the abyss.

"What in the Emperor's name do you think you're doing?!
"Don't worry, I have a plan."
"Don't worry?! You've killed yourself!"
"Relax, just get ready to catch me if you can."
"Catch? Catch?!"

The platform began to drop, and Malakai sprinted as fast as he could towards the falling edge, using the momentum from the falling to jump as far as possible. As he leapt from the platform, aghast faces watching him fly across the blackened void beneath him, he knew he couldn't possibly make their level. As he fell past their faces, he was afraid he wasn't going to make the level below, either. "Oh, rust..."

Alens and Talic watched Travaz smash ribs first into the floor of the level immediately below them, glinting arms scrabbling at the surface before a servoarm punched a grip in the concrete. Achingly, the Enginseer pulled himself up and rolled onto the side, resting a moment before sitting up and beating out the flames now just beginning to lick at the kitbag, before finally tearing off the blazing robe and falling flat on his back.

"Travaz, report." Alens yelled down from his higher position.
"I'm alive," he voxed back, servomotors clicking softly as they cooled down. "Some damage to minor systems, two motors on my left servoarm and right knee need replacing, a couple of burnt pipes need patching, everything else is superficial. Worst damage is to my robe, it's burnt beyond repair."
"Speaking of repairs, can you perform them from here?"
"Affirmative, I have the necessary replacements. It'll take a little time, though, and until the knee is fixed I'm not moving anyway. Can you get down to me?"
Stumpy's voice echoed over the edge, "I've spotted a staircase about a klick away, this nightvision scope is great. I can even see the floor number we're on here, sublevel 61."
"We're very close. OK, Travaz, we're making our way down to your level and rendevous. I recommend you fix the knee as a priority and move to a less conspicious location. We'll contact you when we hit sublevel 62's edge here."
"Understood. Until later, gentlemen."

The rest of the group headed off to the staircase as Travaz sat up and began unscrewing a covering plate from his leg. There were few things in life he enjoyed more then repairing something.

This post has been edited by Travaz Malakai: 10 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

#45 User is offline   Faelus Cartinor 

• Rune Mechanic
  • Pip

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:21 AM

OOC: Travaz, did you see the message I sent you?

#46 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:21 AM

That rust addled Techpriest thinks he can fly...

They all moved off towards the staircase at a brisk but easy pace, but too Talic it seamed exhuasting. He wasnt used to all this adrenaline pumping through him.
Space battles were deadly, but they could also take hours, if the pilots were skilled enough, and Talic was used to long drawn out battles. Not fast paced hand to hand fighting. Rarely was he forced to actual physical exertion and his body, much younger than it should of been, was feeling the strain.

He really wasnt looking forward to going down to level 61, only to have to trudge up the stairs again towards level 64.

Talic looked to see how the others were fareing. Stumpy was keeping up, but only barly, his short legs struggling with the pace, but he seamed less tired that Talic and more relaxed then anyone else.

Cimsran seamed to have caught his stride, looking prepared to run from the depths of the hive to its highest tower if he had too, but he also looked distracted, as if lost in thought. In fact, as Talic thought about it, Cimsran had looked like that ever since the battle outside the inn. What memories had been dragged out by gunfire and bloodshed i wonder?

Finally he glanced at Alens. Alens seamed fine, but concern was written all over his face. For the techpriest? No he is worried about the Inquisitor
And suddenly Talic knew he wouldnt have to run the stairs twice

"Alens" Talic panted "The Inquisitor doesnt seam to be in present danger, but surely it isnt far away. She is injured and may well as be alone. I fear the delay to rescue Malakai may cost us more than time."

"I know that Captain, whats your point?"

"Simply put, we dont all need to go aid the techpriest. That gang cant have opperatives all the way down here, otherwise it would be a gang big enough to overrun the entire hive. If we split up, two of us go to help Malakai, and the other two go on to give aid to the Inquisitor. A little aid quickly is better than alot of aid come to late.
Why dont you and I make haste the her defence, while our valiant companions go to the aid of Malakai?"

OOC=was waiting in the hope cimsran and stumpy would of post something

#47 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

OOC:was waiting in th hope of Talic and Stumpy would post anything :)

The gangs, why does it always have to be ganges? normal persons that figure that personal power is worth the lifes of countless persons.

at Talic's sugestion Cimsran looked up

''i am not too good at mecanical stuff and i think i might be better off helping the Inquisitor, but if any of you have a better idea...''

#48 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

OOC: Talic, you're on 61
I'm on 62

We need to go to 64

Downhill all the way, buddy.

#49 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

OOC dont buildings usualy have the higher levels at the top?

#50 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

OOC so if we are on 61, and u landed on the one below, shouldnt you be on 60?

#51 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

OOC i think the hives have the levels dowards, and the spires upwards... (ie levle 61 is below 60, and they use floors for the above 'ground' designations...)

#52 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

OOC:

1+ Normal levels
0 Ground floor
sub 1+ Sub levels

Think of it as we're on floors -61 and -62 and need to reach -64 from ground level.

#53 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

OOC LAME...could we have it so that your char is far from the stairs and we would have to leave the stairway, jog to you, then run bk to the stairway, and my char just wants to continue down the stairs?

#54 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

OOC: np
Edit: From my point of wiev

This post has been edited by Cimsran: 13 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

#55 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

OOC: You're directly above me and a klick from the staircase, so you'll have to run a kilometre to the staircase, then a kilometre to me, then a kilometre back to the staircase, and that's if it goes down to sublevel 64 instead of just joining 61 and 62.

#56 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

OOC = so it would be an extra 2 kilometres for our guys to run, not to mention the time it takes to finish your repairs, leave it like that, and we will still split up at the staircase, if no one has posted anything in 30 min, me alens and cimsran go to the inquisitor, im planning on getting lost and seperated on the way,

Stumpy doesnt say much, so malakai u could probs just bounce conv of him, using him as an npc to flesh out ur char, plus u have your binary code messages,

Cimsran, idont think silencer is posting much atm, so once i vanish you can control Alens as a npc untill he gets back, just dont get him into to much trouble, soon after i leave you should probs switch the the meeting thread.

hope that all makes sense to you guys and is agreeable

#57 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

OOC: sounds good...

#58 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

OOC: I'm not sure about it, I mean, you'll be going about 100 floors out of your way back up the Hive when you're already only two floors from your objective, the gang's home base, in the first place. It's doable, I can see ways to write it, I just don't see it making sense.

#59 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

OOC youve lost me, i hadnt planned on leaveing the floor im on now, isnt the meeting on lever 64?

#60 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

OOC: Oh, no, dude. The meeting was in a bar near the spaceport, which is above ground level. We started on level 47. Actually, that lift dropped us 94 floors down... That's a hell of an elevator.

But, we can still go and try to find a comms-point, which searching for is sure to take people somewhere dark and secluded, before descending to the ganger's hideout. If the intercepted comms don't tell us something we don't want to know.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users