Malazan Empire: The Depths of the Hive - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Depths of the Hive Alens, Starsearch, Travaz, Stumpy, Cimsran.

#21 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip
  • Group: Knoll Barrow Alts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

OOC:my bad i probably mixed up somthing BADLY >.<

#22 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

OOC: Can we find out if Stumpy's player has actually been on the forum since the game started? Because this is getting a little silly.

#23 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

ooc he hasnt posted once in his alt, im guessings silencer has messaged him, perhaps we should just use him as a npc for now?

#24 User is offline   The Lord Inquisitor 

• Corporal
  • Pip
  • Interests:Rooting out heresy.

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

OOC: @Cimsran - that's OK, we can just ret-con it. Let's assume you stuck your head inside the inn, and have now returned your attention outside, while Alens and Talic are still talking to the guy...
As for Stumpy, he logged in on the 5th. I will PM him again now, but let's assume he's an additional NPC for the moment.

"Sit down, sir, now." Alens commanded, also rising. One laspistol was already drawn and pointed to the burned man's head, the other remaining in its holster even as the few other patrons started to rise in alarm. "Everybody, sit the Throne down. Imperial Inquisition." He added, watching the gang member's eyes widen.

"You know something, and you will speak it, or be executed." Alens had no psychic powers, and only the authority invested in him by Raquelia to back up the threat, but rarely did he need anything more. If he did, it usually came in the form of numerous las-shots.

At the end of a las-pistol, outside of his mild surprise at being addressed by a member of the Inquisition, the man remained remarkably calm. His tongue flicked across what remained of his lips, obviously considering his options before speaking. "I have heard nothing." Alens' finger twitched on the trigger, but the man continued. "But I may have seen...things."

"Go on." The gun didn't move an inch. Alens was watching the man's eyes intently for any signs of deceit.

"A couple of times, people, not any regulars, moving through this level. Transporting...things. Cargo. I don't know what it was, but they were moving in large numbers. We couldn't afford the men to stop them. I swear, I know nothing else."

Alens cocked his head. "OK."

The man still looked incredibly relaxed - after all, Alens couldn't kill him, it would result in the other patrons of the establishment opening fire. Equally calmly, Alens lowered his las-pistol, slipping it back into its holster.

Gesturing to Talic, he stepped out from the table and walked past the man, nodding politely as he did so. The second he was out of the inn, Talic safely a step behind him and closing the door, he detonated the krak grenade taped to the bottom of their table, the windows blowing out with the force of the explosion.

"Enginseer," he began, "you were saying something about the windows across the street, I believe?" That's when the hailstorm of gun- and las-fire began lancing out from the building. People dived for cover.

#25 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

As soon as the fool Alens mentioned he was in the Inquisition Talic knew he was as good as dead.

Even if they managed to get out of this mess word would spread.

Thank the emperor that he didn't use his real name....

Luckily no one opened fire and they managed to get out of the building, Talic was just about to open his mouth when a huge explosion behind him forced him to the ground. Then the gunfire started. Talic pulled out his bolt pistol but he was no shooter. Scrambling underneath a broken vehicle, he crawled under it until he could get a rough shot on the building firing down upon them.

"You damn fool!" he screamed out, as a spray of bullets slammed into the vehicle above him.

"Now we have to shoot our way to the lift, repair it while under fire and find another way back." As he returned fire on the building, most of his shots thudding harmlessly into the walls, he continued muttering obscenities to wards Alens

"I hope your good working under pressure tech priest!"

#26 User is offline   Stumpy 

• Imperial Guard

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

At Travaz's warning Stumpy glances to his left with his long-las shoulderd, to see no fewer that 10 gangers coming at them down the street

"we have multiple contacts on the left flank, ill try hold them off everyone get into cover"

Upon voicing his warning Stumpy started to open fire, scattering the gangers into cover.

chancing a glance to towards the inn Stumpy can see Alens and Talic pinned under a car.

Stupmy voxed to Alens "Alens i can you notify me of the enemy possitions that have you pinned and ill try get a shot to get you better cover"

OOC: "sorry im late weather issues"

#27 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

"Oh, frak!"

Moving as fast as his augmentations would allow, Travaz scurried to the burned out wreck Talic and Alens had hid by as the windows opposite started spewing lasfire and autogun shots at them. To his left, he saw Cimsran throw himself behind the same shattered wall Stumpy had ensconced himself behind as he fended off ten gangers filling the alleyway enroute to the elevator. Ten? Omnissiah's wra- no, my mistake, nine, as a lasbolt blew out the side of a ganger's skull. Dropping the handle back into the kitbag clutched in his left hand, the utility mechadendrite hidden beneath his robes brought out his boltpistol, which Travaz grabbed with his right and started blasting shots off at the seven occupied windows. Small explosions blew plaster and boards from the openings but the streams of gunfire hardly skipped a beat.

"Alens, there are nine-" the distinctive crack of a longlas was heard over the barrage of noise, followed by a quiet "Yes!" over the vox - eight gangers between us and the elevator."
"Emperor's Throne! Seems I was right after all."
"I'd prefer us to be wrong and alive instead of right and dead!" Talic yelled from under the vehicle.

Now he was closer, Travaz studied the wreck. A burned out Adeptus Arbites cruiser, the reinforced walls were resisted the onslaught quite well, barely one lasbolt in a dozen penetrated and the autogun bullets just bounced off. The reinforced roof was barely attached by a single point and shook violently, scattering ricochets everywhere. Malakai looked through the windows at the two landspeeders, still in position by the pseudoabandoned building. "Alens, I have an idea." His servoarms leaned forward and clamped themselves on the wreck's roof, lifting it up and deflecting incoming fire upwards. A bolter round blasted the last attachment free, leaving Travaz with the roof panel held before him. He scanned the rest of the scene. There were now only five gangers visible in the street, Stumpy and Cimsran seemed to be arguing over who got the last kill. Talic had pulled himself up next to Alens behind the wreck by now, looking a mixture of angry and scared. Alens looked ready.

"How are you at piloting a landspeeder?"

#28 User is offline   Stumpy 

• Imperial Guard

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

"I got the last kill that time" Stumpy whinged to Cimsran "It was clearly a long-las shot through the head otherwise it wouldnt have been as clean"

Stumpy nudged Cimsran and pointed to where Travaz was ripping the roof off of a cruiser "what the hell is he doing? the idiot is going to get himself killed or worse us killed too"

They were now down to 5 gangers in the alley who were now starting to pull back as Crimsran put a las shots through 2 more of the gangers, to then swing round and to try and provide cover for the Enginseer for whatever he was doing.

"Enginseer what in Gak are you doing?" Stumpy voxed as Traviz was moving forward behind his improvised shield with Talic and Alens bringing up the rear.

#29 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

*at least i have a lucky run with the lasgun* Cimsran tought as two gangsters fell to the powerfull bursts,

hearing stumpy asking the Engniseer what he was doing, Cimsran said: Well they probably got a plan, its better than what i got so lets follow them!

shooting at the remaing gangster Cimsran moved carfully towards the improvised shield

#30 User is offline   Stumpy 

• Imperial Guard

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Ducking from cover to cover Stumpy and Cimsran make there way to where Travaz is using the roof as a make shift shield

"Cimsran you duck left ill go right and lets see if we can get some supressive fire into that building to give the Enginseer some covering fire"

Man this guardsmans a good shot for being a standard foot slogger, remind me to keep him close in a fight i like knowing who i can rely on - Stumpy thought to himself

#31 User is offline   Cimsran 

• Imperial Guard
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

''Will do''

*lets just hope they havent got a full size bolter in there, then this will turn ugly*

Cimsran ran to the left side of the makeshift shield and started shooting the fastes the rifle would alow and taking aming as somthing optional

#32 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

Travaz plowed on, the makeshift shield juddering under the impacts as Talic, Alens and the two guardsmen fired back from behind. The unwieldy sheet of metal was difficult enough to manuever without the constant hail of gunfire, and without the extensive augmentations bolstering his strength and balance it'd have been knocked out of his hands before he took a step. They also prevented him wincing whenever a lasbolt glanced off his servoarm's vicelike grips, which distracted him enough to almost miss Talic's shouted question.

"So how're you going to make them stop shooting when we get to the speeders, techpriest?"

"They're hardly going to risk damaging them, are they? Well, any more then they already have," he replied, shaking his sadly at the ramshackle and poorly maintained state of the landspeeders. It was truly a mercy to rescue them from these idiotic indigenes. He didn't even recognise the device strapped - with belts! - to the nearest speeder's gravmotor. The other, covered in painted signs and profanity, hardly looked an improvement.

"And when they come down and ask us to leave nicely in person?"

"Well, that was why you came along, isn't it?"

Alens solved the issue by throwing several krak grenades through the main entrance and surrounding windows, the blasts shaking the building and throwing a burly man through one of the upper stories to land next to Talic, who blasted his head apart at point blank before brushing bits of ganger off his coat with a expression of disgust. Cracks and fissures spread like a plague across the face of the abandoned building as all gunfire ceased from within, replaced with shouts, curses and running. Cimsran and Stumpy took the opportunity to take out three more gangers from the street, leaving a very worried pair cowering behind more rubble. Malakai dumped the roof and turned to the Inquisitor's man.

"They're two seaters, so we can either grab one, three of us cling onto the sides and hope it'll fly or split up with Stumpy in the middle of one of them. I'd rather not split up, personally, too much risk of being isolated and taken out, or getting lost."
"Still safer then all of us in one, Travaz."
"I haven't flown a landspeeder in forty years."
"Talic'll be able to pilot the other and he can follow me easily eno-"

A chunk of rubble falling from the rapidly decaying face of the building smashed into the painted landspeeder. Alens and Travaz looked at each other.

"So, you're piloting?"

They started running to the other speeder. Talic beat them both to it with ease.

This post has been edited by Travaz Malakai: 08 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

#33 User is offline   The Lord Inquisitor 

• Corporal
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Alens leaped onto the side of the speeder, gesturing Travaz to take the other seat, then blasting at one of the windows above with his las-pistol. A ganger with more guts or less brains than the rest quickly withdrew his head from sight, blindly firing down the side of the building instead. "Talic, let's go!" He yelled as the two guardsmen finished laying down suppressing fire and clambered up onto the speeder, looking awkward with their full-length rifle and long-las.

The speeder was lurching each time Talic tried the engine, and Alens was doing his best to cover them with his free hand, but the gangers in the crumbling building would soon be making their way outside, and then things would get hairy. He was about to give the captain another shout when his earpiece blared to life: "DAEMON POSSESSED!" Raquelia's voice, somewhat muted by the intervening floors, but still full of surprise, and cut short swiftly afterwards. Alens cursed, his mind racing. A daemon? At the meeeting...that seemed impossible. He angrily fired two more shots down the street at the cowering pair - they weren't much of a threat, but if left alone they might regain some bravado and make life more difficult.

What to do? They couldn't make it back to the elevator up in this speeder. It was too large for the tight alleys they had used to get here, and the other route around took them through the worst of the gang territory here. By the time they got back to the meeting floor...well, if the daemon was still around by then, they would be too late. "Dammit! Dammit it all to the warp!" Loose masonry was falling more frequently now. "Come on Talic, get this thing moving!" The first of the gangers was pushing his way out of the recked front door, and Cimsran managed to blast him with his las-gun one-handed.

#34 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

Talic cursed as a static shock burst out of the controls and burnt is fingers. Poxy machine he mumbled.

All of a sudden it burst into movement, speeding across the ground fast as lightning it flowed on wards.
For about 300 metres...It had been years since he last piloted something like the land speeder
nearly 200 years, been getting lazy and foolish in your easy lifestyle....
He could hear the others swearing at him when all of a sudden he realized what was wrong with the speeder, quickly re routing power through unused systems he managed to get the speeder in working order.

Soon they had left pursuit behind, though that wouldn't last long. Searching through the systems he managed to pull up a rough and properly out of date map of this part of the hive. Still it was better than nothing.

quickly searching the map he plotted a three courses in his head, one back to the cutter, another to wards what looked like a serviceable lift a few kilometers away. The third way led to the docks. It would hardly be inconspicuous but if they could hire a flyer, maybe they could fly to the lower levels and try and break there way back in a few levels below. This gangs territory couldn't stretch a few levels.

#35 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

Travaz braced himself in the seat as best he could as Talic tortured the speeder forward. He couldn't think of a better word to describe the treatment the poor machine was receiving, and was a moment away from wrenching control from Starsearch when he finally got them back off the ground and cruising smoothly so abruptly Travaz was afraid they'd lost the others. The three muffled bouts of cursing from the back of the speeder was a relief, but he was far more concerned with the pilot next to him.

"Have you ever even been in a landspeeder before, Starsearch!?"
"Shut it, techpriest! I've flown these since before you were born!"
"Oh? How about since?!"
"Alright, I'm a little rusty-"
"Rusty?! Oh, just let me-"
"No, Warp damn it! I don't trust any of you to fly me anywhere!"
"Where ARE you going, Captain?" Alens broke in. Travaz appreciated the respect he'd shown by allowing him to take the passenger seat, but would have suggested the person with the mechanical limbs allowing the firmest grip possibly without being welded to the machine going on the outside as a better plan had there been time. Oddly, the usual protrusions and edges of his body that usually made fitted seats a nuisance before his last round of bionics rewired his nerve system slotted into this seat like a glove, which probably meant it was the least comfortable seat since that Ork trukk he'd hotwired back in Skiradon. The man was probably counting his blessings.

Talic smiled grimly back over his shoulder. "We've got two good ways off this level, the lift down within a few klicks of here and this level's internal docks. I'm heading there, we get a flyer and burn past the scum in our way. Our cover's blown anyway, so why not travel in style?"

"It can't be far from the elevator to the docks, I vote we swing by the lift and see if it's unoccupied. Worst case it is, we fly to the docks. Best case it isn't, I'll fix it and we don't have to fight past whoever's between Sub 64 and the ground level and just take the direct route there." Travaz turned to Bantenhope. "I don't think we have time to get to the Inquisitor, Alens."

This post has been edited by Travaz Malakai: 09 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

#36 User is offline   The Lord Inquisitor 

• Corporal
  • Pip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

It was hard to cling onto the racing speeder, but at least they were out of the firefight. The building had collapsed into the street just as they got airborne, the few remaining gang members who'd managed to push through windows and doors to get outside scrambling away in desperation.

Alens sighed at the enginseer's observation. "I know, I know, just...could one of you with a spare hand tell the other group to stay put? I'd rather they don't risk their lives against a foe they won't be any help against." He just hoped Raquelia had taken the pariah in with her. The woman could cut through cultists like butter, and she'd fought daemon's before, but the two combined with little backup was going to be more of a challenge than most.

"Talic, make for the elevator. It's faster." He added.

#37 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

Travaz was about to begin sending Kynia the message on singular engagement when the vox signalled three times. From the reactions of Talic and Alens, it was a wideband signal.

"What was that?"
"No idea, I- huh. It's not recognising the sender. That's not an Inquisitorial signal you've arranged with Raquella before?"
"What, something that simplistic?"
"Stumpy, Cimsran, is that an Imperial Guard signal?"
"Nah, it's too simple."
"Then someone else has access to our vox network."
"On an Inquisitorial band? Those are almost impossible to decrypt."
"Almost is not good enough."
"It might be Kynia or Justinian."

Travaz shook his head. "Why wouldn't it tag the message as theirs, then? No, we have to assume comms are compromised. I'll have to be vague as possible to Kynia."

"Message is sent, with specifics removed. I'm sure they'll understand. How far are we now?"

This post has been edited by Travaz Malakai: 10 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

#38 User is offline   Drake Dekko Yarn 

• Rogue Trader, pariah

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

Vox, broad call, Inquisitorial band only (allies)

Please send some back up to the meeting place. Been a hard time. I suggest though that 1s and 0s be used by some for more information. Drake out.

#39 User is offline   Talic Starsearch 

• Pirate Captain
  • Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

Talic started heading towards the lift.
"I still think we should go to the docks, this speeder is beat, what do we do if the inquisitor is injured? Or more likely being slowly roasted alive by out daemonic friend?"
"Just keep heading to the lift Starsearch." Alens sighed, to Talic it looked like the last fight and sapped much of Alens strength or maybe the fact that the fate of the inquisitor was unknown. After all, why hadnt she sent the message for back up?

Trying to cheer him up Talic said
"Look, the pariah didnt sound panicy on the com, nor did he sound like he was still fighting. Ive heard about Raquelia, I doubt this little Daemon will be a match for her."

Glancing to his side he had to shout over the engine noise "Im pretty sure the lift ahead is opperational, otherwise it wouldnt show up on the holomap. We are coming up on it now, get ready for it."

As they raced towards the lift, they saw four men with the previous gangs symbol on the jackets standing in the street. Obviously they had been sent ahed to gaurd the lift.
"Hold on!" Talic pushed the speeder on faster, as if he was attempting to drive past. The gang members opened fire, the shots smashing into the already dying speeder. Just as they were about to drive alongside the gang members, Talic slammed on his right brake, forcing the rear of the speeder to swirve to the front. The vehicle, now moving side ways plowed through three of the gang members and slammed into a nearby wall, killing two and shattering the spine on the the third gamgmember. The forth ruffian managed to leap out of the way, but cimsran, on shakey legs from the crash fell out of the speeder and shot him.

As everyone climbed out of the now wrecked landspeeder Talic dusted himself of and pointed at the now unguarded working lift.
"There you go, that wasnt to bad now ,was it?"

#40 User is offline   Travaz Malakai 

• Enginseer
  • Pip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

It hurt, to be forced to put up with the flagrant disregard and disrespect for the gifts of the Omnissiah, but Travaz reflected that after that sort of treatment the poor abused machine spirit was almost certainly better off. Therefore he resisted the urge to punch Talic in the face and merely detached the device strapped to the rear of the deceased speeder before heading over to the lift. It needed study, as all unknowns do, but when they had time. Examining the lift, Malakai exclaimed, "It's working? I thought your information stated it was malfunctioning, Alens?"

"Yes, it did. I'm assuming we got a lucky break and some poor Administratum drone scheduled a fix before the Emperor's glorious return, which is a turnup for the books."
"What did I tell you?" Talic smirked.

The five of them piled onto the large expanse of the elevator, which must have spanned ten metres a side. Walking to the control console, Travaz entered the code for sub level 64, and the enormous floor started to descend past the array of girders and panels surrounding it. The others spread out to relax after their exertions, and to reload and check various weapons and munitions. Snapping a new magazine into his boltpistol, Travaz toggled his vox and warbled a burst of binary chatter. Alens looked up and asked, "What was that?"

"I took our friend Drake's suggestion and asked Faelus for a status update."
"Why not ask him directly?"
"Two reasons. One, the speech I used was binary, our brotherhood's most sacred tongue. Even the Inquisition is yet to decipher it - and believe me, we would know if you did - and If you weren't working under the Inquisition we wouldn't be having this conversation at all, but as you do I can tell you as much as your superiors already know. And no more. Now, only a sworn member of the Adeptus Mechanicus is permitted to learn this language, which means Faelus and I already know. Drake appears to be a lay member, which is commendable, and also provides some explanation as to why he knows of binary, but he can't understand the tongue, otherwise the member of the Mechanicus who taught him was a traitor."
"And the other reason?"
"I don't trust him. Presumably because he is a pariah, which is an unfamiliar term to me," Travaz motioned to Talic, stretched out on a reasonably clean section of floor. "He called Drake that, and I wish to learn what he meant."
"He-" Alens was interrupted by the sudden crash of noise as the elevator stopped dead for a couple of seconds, dropped at half speed for three seconds, then continued normally.
"How fixed is this lift?"
"Hopefully enough."
"Where did you learn the lift was operational, Talic?" Travaz asked.
Talic continued to laze on the floor, spinning a credit chip idly on a finger. "Oh, the speeder's databanks had the map I followed."
"The speeder."
"Yes."
"The ganger's speeder?" Alens continued.
"Yes!"
"The ganger's speeder in the same Hive as and connected to Chaos cultists and daemons?"
"Yes..." Slowly, Talic sat up. "....oh, Holy Throne."
Travaz spun to the control console when-

This post has been edited by Travaz Malakai: 10 December 2010 - 05:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users