Malazan Empire: !MAJOR SPOILERS - Random thoughts - MAJOR SPOILERS! - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

!MAJOR SPOILERS - Random thoughts - MAJOR SPOILERS! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

That was the Builder of Azath Houses, an Elder being of some description.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#22 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

my own 2p

Greymane story line good if not a tadge predictable.
Storm gaurd cool not enough against the riders to really see them in action
The blue were shit hot I wish we seen more of them....wish we had seen the munition torvald nom used in ToTH.
Crimson gaurd i wish we could of seen more.
i was desperate for segulah ICE teased us in the his last outing i was sure we were going to see some standing the wall.
Kyle has evolved as a character i enjoyed reading about him i misssed his mates though

I missed Jumpy he was quality Suth is alrite just lacks the sheer recklessness of a sapper.
Even though this book is better written i thought RoTCG had more holy shit moments. it had me disbeliving the words on the page. That dosnt mean i didnt enjoy it. i just feel it missed that no way that didnt just happen about it.... im leaving it a couple of weeks before a reread.

You never know I could be wrong

#23 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

I'm not sure what was going on with the Liosan. They had a whole army to fight the void, apparently because it was touching their realm. They 'won', though I don't know what that really means, and L'Oric had taken a bit if a beating. Shadowthrone thinks 'there, well. That's one thing settled at least'. No idea what that 'one thing' was, or who gave L'Oric the beating.

As an aside, it occurs to me that Tayschrenn is a mage of Thyr, so maybe he could somehow use the fact that the whorl was touching Kurald Thy

I took it that the Liosan were there to kill/battle the mage (Yath/Yathengar) who was causing the Whorl. So when L'oric is covered in blood at the end i took it to mean they succeeded in killing the sum-bitch.

This post has been edited by waylander001: 01 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#24 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

View PostVeilside, on 23 November 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

I was kind of disappointed in the book, until I got to the end. The almost throw-away line about the Lady being related to the CG just made it all make so much sense.

Same here - I was thinking some other God/Ascendant we had never heard of was just about to be introduced to the story. Tied up simply enough by ICE though - masquerading as the Blessed Lady .... that's so damn Kaminsod that isn't it!!
There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#25 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

View Posteiji, on 30 November 2010 - 10:29 PM, said:

my own 2p

Even though this book is better written i thought RoTCG had more holy shit moments. it had me disbeliving the words on the page. That dosnt mean i didnt enjoy it. i just feel it missed that no way that didnt just happen about it.... im leaving it a couple of weeks before a reread.

You never know I could be wrong

The part/scene that done this for me was Ussu having his arm stuck in Bars chest - I was beggin for the Avowed to rip those irons away and slowly spit-roast the fucker over a fire. I think that part was written particularly well as it raised the most emotion in me throughout the book. I do agree there weren't as many Holy Shit moments though - then again I never saw Skinner turning up at the end to grab another piece of Kaminsod's ass for him.... damn I cant wait until Bars gets his hands on him, what a scene that will be!

This post has been edited by waylander001: 01 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

#26 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

well there seems to be a line for skinner now... wonder if Bars and the second will have to fight it out for the honour?

#27 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I wonder if ICE was referencing the Simpsons with Bar's "Skinerrrr" scream?

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 01 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

#28 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

When Bars roared Skinner at the end, anyone else instantly imagine Superintendent Chalmers off the Simpsons ...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#29 User is offline   Mulch 

• Fist

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Speaking of external influence on writing style, did anyone else pick up that Greymane is Yoda to Kyles Luke??
"Here's to beer!, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

#30 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

The part/scene that done this for me was Ussu having his arm stuck in Bars chest - I was beggin for the Avowed to rip those irons away and slowly spit-roast the fucker over a fire. I think that part was written particularly well as it raised the most emotion in me throughout the book. I do agree there weren't as many Holy Shit moments though - then again I never saw Skinner turning up at the end to grab another piece of Kaminsod's ass for him.... damn I cant wait until Bars gets his hands on him, what a scene that will be!
[/quote]

yep im with you. That had me twitchy to be fair......i kept hoping corlo was going to sneak up on Ussu or that tobalaki to come twist off his head.

i wonder if Corlo will get his leg back by the next book, how far can high Denul go

#31 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

View Posteiji, on 01 December 2010 - 11:17 AM, said:

yep im with you. That had me twitchy to be fair......i kept hoping corlo was going to sneak up on Ussu or that tobalaki to come twist off his head.

i wonder if Corlo will get his leg back by the next book, how far can high Denul go

the Lady only knows :)

Yeah Manask was another character i enjoyed, he and Ipshank made for a good pairing - not quite on a par with Bugg and Tehol.... but that's probably asking for too much anyway.

#32 User is offline   Old Hunch Arbat 

• Fist

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

Spoiler alert - stating that is a formality as I think that should be pretty clear by now.

What I actually have is a spoiler question: What are your collective opinions about Greymane? Is he dead and gone forever or will he reappear as some sort of guardian or ascendant - or if he is considered ascended already, as some other more potent and influential being? And what about his sword? Is that safe from prying fingers? What say you all?

OHA

#33 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostOld Hunch Arbat, on 02 December 2010 - 12:23 AM, said:

Spoiler alert - stating that is a formality as I think that should be pretty clear by now.

What I actually have is a spoiler question: What are your collective opinions about Greymane? Is he dead and gone forever or will he reappear as some sort of guardian or ascendant - or if he is considered ascended already, as some other more potent and influential being? And what about his sword? Is that safe from prying fingers? What say you all?

OHA

Think the last we see his he is laying at the bottom of a very very very deep well filled with a million tonnes of water and his sword is laying beside him - think he's a goner by the looks of things. Anyone get anything different from that passage off the coast of Ring???

This post has been edited by waylander001: 02 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

#34 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

View PostOld Hunch Arbat, on 02 December 2010 - 12:23 AM, said:

OHA

I suspect the riders may have other plans for him, seeing as they're after the Crippled God.

This post has been edited by Veilside: 02 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

#35 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

i'm not sure that greymane is truly gone. to be sure, he hasn't passed through hoods gates, and not just because they're closed. WJ would probably love to have greymane in the realm of the dead, but grey's got something to do with keeping the lady down i think, like those kids said, he's a guardian of a piece of the CG. i think he might need to be able to fight if skinner and his crew come for it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#36 User is offline   champ 

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

The way it was wrote, I imagined it to be like an Arthurian legend, in that the "hero" will awaken once again when the land faces her greatest peril...

Tehol said:

#37 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

I am not sure if this has been covered or if I just missed the most obvious thing in the world, but can someone tell me why the Stormriders didn't just, ya know, go ROUND THE FUCKING WALL? Did I misread something or was their objective not The Hole?
Victory is mine!

#38 User is offline   champ 

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

View PostFist Gamet, on 08 December 2010 - 06:45 PM, said:

I am not sure if this has been covered or if I just missed the most obvious thing in the world, but can someone tell me why the Stormriders didn't just, ya know, go ROUND THE FUCKING WALL? Did I misread something or was their objective not The Hole?

It's certainly something I've thought and I've seen it posted too here and there...

From the map there's plenty of routes in... I am hoping it's yet to be explained, like there is a power source held under the sea there that they need to remain close too... otherwise it's extremely dumb!

Tehol said:

#39 User is offline   eiji 

• Corporal

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

Greymane is brown bread he's got to be it. he died well you cant complain about that. it wasnt like Trull or Whiskyjack where you just sat there gutted because you never saw it comming. He might do a Brys though, dead but resummoned (i like the arthur idea)

#40 User is offline   Dragonstar 

• Corporal

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

Just finished myself,

Got a question tho, the Ladys power was split into the 3 parts, the chest that ipshank desroyed, the part the stormriders took out and the peice that Skinner made off with. The whole time Ipshank was going on that they needed to destroy their peice ASAP to stop the Lady from being able to regenerate or resist the attempt to kill her, once Greymane had taken ouyt the wall.

The query is, they had the plan to get rid of 2 of the peices through the stormriders. But what about the part that Skinner took off with? Was it just good luck that they turned up to take it? or was it part of a plan that was cooked up?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users