Malazan Empire: points that i'm not clear about (contain spoilers) - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

points that i'm not clear about (contain spoilers) Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

I thought the Empty Hold took the place of what the Hold of Death should have been, but wasn't due to Gothos' ritual.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#42 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 25 September 2010 - 10:29 PM, said:

I thought the Empty Hold took the place of what the Hold of Death should have been, but wasn't due to Gothos' ritual.

About 300 pages into my reread now, and while i still have very little clue of what the Empty Hold is (and how it translates to Warren), i think what you said above is probably spot on. IIRC, the Letherii have nothing for Death under there current setup? I should probably reread my reread so far, huh?! BTW, you guys on here were right on....this book is crazy good so far the second time around! :)

#43 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

if that were the case why would it be significant that there was no Hold of Death in Leth, or that the dead Azath became it?

There are various refs to the Empty Hold and Empty Throne in MT that support this. i can't recall or find any that link it to death.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#44 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

I thikn Mael makes a comment about how there should have been a hold of death .......

#45 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

View PostSilk, on 28 September 2010 - 02:28 PM, said:

I thikn Mael makes a comment about how there should have been a hold of death .......

That too.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#46 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 September 2010 - 02:24 PM, said:

if that were the case why would it be significant that there was no Hold of Death in Leth, or that the dead Azath became it?

There are various refs to the Empty Hold and Empty Throne in MT that support this. i can't recall or find any that link it to death.

I'm not saying it is the Letherii equivalent of the Hold of Death, I am saying that the Empty Hold rose out of the absence created by the lack of death, and became its own thing. But I'm not certain of that, it was just the impression I got from reading, thats why I threw it out there to be shot down like a skeet disc.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#47 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 28 September 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 September 2010 - 02:24 PM, said:

I'm not saying it is the Letherii equivalent of the Hold of Death, I am saying that the Empty Hold rose out of the absence created by the lack of death, and became its own thing. But I'm not certain of that, it was just the impression I got from reading, thats why I threw it out there to be shot down like a skeet disc.

Page 727-729 of Midnight Tides Bantam MMPB is the discussion of Buff and Tehol on why there is no Hold of Death. No talk about it replacing the Empty Hold, but I still think it's around there somewhere.

This post has been edited by H.D.: 28 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users