Malazan Empire: points that i'm not clear about (contain spoilers) - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

points that i'm not clear about (contain spoilers) Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

The thing with the Chancellor who was his own descendent now that, THAT was sick...

What? There should be a spoiler on that. Now everything's ruined! I'm going back to Harry Potter's forum where my sensibilities remain unspoiled.

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 21 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#22 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

I disagree with your disagreement! :) He pretty nimbly adapted into new system and overlooked it from position od consort - he even (and actively) participated in court intrigues. Thing that whole system ran from his hands (aka Prattchets Small Gods) is other one... But thats IMHO future of most of Elder Gods not based on strong nature force like has Mael. System overcomes faith:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 21 September 2010 - 07:46 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

The thing with the Chancellor who was his own descendent now that, THAT was sick...

What? There should be a spoiler on that. Now everything's ruined! I'm going back to Harry Potter's forum where my sensibilities remain unspoiled.

It was in RG, so off you go back to the land of Snape/Harry slashffic and come back when you've finished a re-read or two and/or frontal lobe acid rinse... :)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

@Abyss - My frontal (and others) lobes were thoroughly rinsed in acid (and others) already, so I cannot comply, but I'll be glad to re-read, if it will make you feel better.

In context of "spoilers" I refer to the idea of ruination and decay, rather than unearned knowledge. Example: "Say, fellow! That mental image just SPOILED my appetite!" :)
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#25 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Having just completed a reread of MT a few days ago, I was surprised at how decent the Errant seemed. Of course, all of his actions were selfish (Jheck God because he didn't want to deal with T'lan Imass, Brys because he simply has impulses to fulfill his nature/aspect), but his douche-baggery was nowhere near the level of RG and DoD. For good reason, though, as others have already pointed out.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#26 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

View PostDefiance, on 21 September 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

Having just completed a reread of MT a few days ago, I was surprised at how decent the Errant seemed. Of course, all of his actions were selfish (Jheck God because he didn't want to deal with T'lan Imass, Brys because he simply has impulses to fulfill his nature/aspect), but his douche-baggery was nowhere near the level of RG and DoD. For good reason, though, as others have already pointed out.

maybe he lost his mind ?
gone fishing ?
maybe we see him becoming insane.

#27 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

I think a lot of the change in the Errant's behavior simply has to do with him becoming an active god in the pantheon again. He's forced to be much more pro-active in pursuing his goals, in searching out allies, and trying to retain his place as the master of a magic system that is fading from the world. Also having worshippers/followers influences him as well (and let's face it, FW was not a nice person either).
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#28 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

The Errant got wound up by a lot of things that were happening around him which he found he had no control over.
If you think about it, he'd been living out his peaceful life keeping the Empty Throne that way for a long time, a nudge here and a nudge there. Then the Edur arrived and Rhulad was in charge with his sword and the Errant was ousted.

Then came the new warrens which he found out about when the Malazans arrived.
Primarily of course was the discovery that there was Master of the Deck - that seriously pissed him off - to find out that he was outclassed, outmoded and superceded - he decided he wanted it all back the way it was before so he set out to rope in his old lackeys. Was anyone else surprised that he could commandeer Kilmandaros that way? because I was, seeing how belligerent she appeared to be.
Feather Witch compelling him and then stealing and swallowing his eye - bet that hurt.
Fiddlers' reading of the Deck on his home turf - that was a huge insult to him and probably that more than anything sent him on his path of vengeance.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

View PostHetan, on 23 September 2010 - 03:44 PM, said:

...he decided he wanted it all back the way it was before so he set out to rope in his old lackeys. Was anyone else surprised that he could commandeer Kilmandaros that way? because I was, seeing how belligerent she appeared to be.

Two thoughts on this. One is that in the end he got the other EG's cooperation through compelling argument, not allegiance or intimidation.

And second, that considering how willing kila and sech were to go along with all this, they may be more involved behind the scenes than we know.

...Fiddlers' reading of the Deck on his home turf - that was a huge insult to him and probably that more than anything sent him on his path of vengeance.

excellent point this.

#30 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

Yeah i agree with Abyss. In DoD we were basically told that Knuckles and Kilmandaros are behind the leeching of the CG's power.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#31 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

I know I am a bit slow whitted but I dont really understand what "the empty throne" is. Can someone enlighten me. I mean , Lether had a king on a throne.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#32 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

the empty throne is the throne of the empty hold
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#33 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

and it is physically located in Lether? Is it incrediibly powerful?
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 23 September 2010 - 04:13 PM, said:

Yeah i agree with Abyss. In DoD we were basically told that Knuckles and Kilmandaros are behind the leeching of the CG's power.

...and to add to that, it's the FAs apprently up to no good and we know Kila and Knuckles are linked to that race.

View Postfoolio, on 24 September 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

I know I am a bit slow whitted but I dont really understand what "the empty throne" is. Can someone enlighten me. I mean , Lether had a king on a throne.

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 24 September 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

the empty throne is the throne of the empty hold

Actually, read Feather Witch's tile readings and it becomes pretty clear that the Empty Hold is the Meanas Warren, or there is a link between the two.

View Postfoolio, on 24 September 2010 - 07:22 PM, said:

and it is physically located in Lether? Is it incrediibly powerful?

Only in the sense that any hold or warren is physically located anywhere, which is to say not exactly. And just to confusficate matters, the same aspect could manifest differently in Lether, as a function of different belief and gothos' ritual, from in the Malaz Empire when the holds have evolved into Warrens and the Houses.

- Abyss, waits for it.... waaaiiiiiiiitttsssss for ittttt....

#35 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

Was gonna hit on this, but everyone pretty much has beat me to it. I don't think he was ever a "nice God" (then again, none of them are IMO, Ascendents included), just simply was a God with not a whole lot to do. Sleep with some queens, noblewomen, noblemen, and nudge a few actions here and there. Rinse and repeat. Then CG decides to use Edur to invade Empire and Errant's world becomes a whole lot busier. Crazy slave girl witch begins worship and semi-usurpation of Errant's power slowly starts to drive him mad. Malazan's invade and bring fancy new Warrens, and a boiling point has more than likely been reached. Add to all this the melting away of Gothos' ritual, and an ancient and still very powerful sea demon getting into his head, and i can see him doing what he is doing. Is he a bastard by our (and my) standards? Hell yes! Yet i don't blame him for taking the route he is going, as of course he's gonna wanna repel this new and strange world that is coming to be for him (as would any God of the pantheon when placed squarely in a corner). I imagine its a terrible thing to feel being essenstially discarded like that, especially after being the biggest cat on the block for so long. As a reader, I actually somewhat feel sympathy for him as a character (the fanboy in me though hopes he goes out in a gruesome way!) :)

This post has been edited by The Seguleh 46th: 25 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

#36 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Wasn't the 'Empty Throne' either Kurald Emurlahn or at least a part of it? and I don't mean Shadow l mean the Elder aspect of KE.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#37 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

The Empty Throne is neither aspected to Kurald Emurlahn nor Meanas - and Shadowthrone holds the throne there.

It is the Empty Throne of the Empty Hold - pure and simple, kept that way by the Errant

'The Hold that had existed, unseen, at the very beginning. The Empty Hold - heart of Letherii worship - that was at the very centre of the vast spiral of realms. Home to the Throne that knew no King, home to the Wanderer Knight, and to the Mistress who waited still, alone in her bed of dreams. To the Watcher, who witnessed all, and the Walker, who patrolled borders not even he could see. To the Saviour, whose outstretched hand was never grasped. And, finally, to the Betrayer, whose loving embrace destroyed all it touched.'

"The one who likes keeping the throne empty. In out in out in out, just shuffle them through. Nobody get comfortable! Chaos and confusion, civil wars and betrayals and blood everywhere! What a creep!" -Telorast & Curdle

"We shall be again, Knuckles. You were the Elder God who stood closest to my throne –"
"Your Empty Throne, yes."
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#38 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

i think the idea that it might be related to KE comes from the Walker. walker being the second half of edgewalkers name, but the borders he patrols he can see... important distinction i think
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#39 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

View PostHetan, on 25 September 2010 - 02:41 PM, said:

The Empty Throne is neither aspected to Kurald Emurlahn nor Meanas - and Shadowthrone holds the throne there.

It is the Empty Throne of the Empty Hold - pure and simple, kept that way by the Errant

'The Hold that had existed, unseen, at the very beginning. The Empty Hold - heart of Letherii worship - that was at the very centre of the vast spiral of realms. Home to the Throne that knew no King, home to the Wanderer Knight, and to the Mistress who waited still, alone in her bed of dreams. To the Watcher, who witnessed all, and the Walker, who patrolled borders not even he could see. To the Saviour, whose outstretched hand was never grasped. And, finally, to the Betrayer, whose loving embrace destroyed all it touched.'

while I do agree that the Empty throne is not aspected to Kurald Emurlahn nor Meanas I have to say that I always took the above qoute as part of the Letherii meglomania.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#40 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

View PostUrizen, on 25 September 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 25 September 2010 - 02:41 PM, said:

while I do agree that the Empty throne is not aspected to Kurald Emurlahn nor Meanas I have to say that I always took the above qoute as part of the Letherii meglomania.

The Watcher? I always liked Fisher Kel Tath to be the one who witnesses all. A walking history book, if you will.

Maybe the Empty Hold is that of the Unaligned? They belong to no House or Hold as far as we know, but they do have aspects, IIRC. And wandering seems to suit them just fine. I have no clue, just rambling at this point.....

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users