• You cannot reply to this topic

is tool a bonecaster ? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

And...and hobble their widows?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#22 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

And everyone knows the story of when they hobbled Jesus.

#23 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

See.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postworrywort, on 18 September 2010 - 07:20 PM, said:

See.

lol, a neg rep for a one word post
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#25 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

I seem to recall that the Tellann anti-magic field around Tool was done to him by the Bonecasters just so he could free Raest, but l can't remember where I read it.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#26 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 18 September 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

See.

i have a feeling that if i returned the favor about other religions, this will not elicit humor.
but for you europeans, there are different rules, as always.

#27 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

I can see it...its huge...its coming...its moderator...?:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

Posted Image

But a moderator should probably prune everything away about all this jew stuff... or just kill the thread.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 19 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

#29 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

I thought this thread was to discuss someone's thoughts on another's ficticious world, not throw barbs at a nation of people. The author's writing is of high standard, can fans do no less?
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#30 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

View PostExcellence, on 19 September 2010 - 11:26 AM, said:

I thought this thread was to discuss someone's thoughts on another's ficticious world, not throw barbs at a nation of people. The author's writing is of high standard, can fans do no less?

some can't.
either that or their sense of humor is so far removed from mine, that i see no distinction.

#31 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Tool has magic to disrupt threads in unknown (for him) world...Bonecaster Majoris!
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#32 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

"We will rendezvous at Coral as planned. It might be worth nothing that the Seer has been under serious assault from the south, which he answers with Omtose Phellack sorcery. My Great Ravens have caught sight of his enemy, or at least some of them. A T'lan Imass, a she-wolf, and a very large dog. Thus, the old battle: Omtose Phellack, ever retreating from Tellan. There might well be other players as well - lands to the south of Outlook have been completely shrouded in mists born of dying ice. The significance of all this is that the Seer has fled Outlook, and is heading by warren to Coral."

"A lone T'lan Imass? A Bonecaster, then, to have sufficient power to single-handedly sunder a Jaghut's sorcery"

"Having heard the summons made by Silverfox, yes, that's likely"

"This T'lan Imass is a warrior. Weilding a two-handed flint sword. Bonecasters carry no weapons. Clearly, he has singular skill. The wolf is an ay, I believe, a creature thought long extinct. The The hound rivals those of Shadow"

- MoI pg 743, Bantam Paperback
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#33 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

I didn't realize Haroos actually was a nation of people, only that he thinks he is. I apologize if that was taken as a barb against the nation of Israel or any religion (??) rather than a silly riff on one boarder's mono-faceted persona. I know the board is divided into different sections for a reason, and perhaps the lines are meant to be more impermeable than I thought. Anyway, I meant it more light-hearted than Haroos (perhaps predictably, in retrospect) took it. Mostly I miss Nicodimas, who is awesome and could take some ribbing without pitching a fit; perhaps I took that out on the second-craziest person here without fully taking into account the context. I apologize to Haroos (somewhat sincerely), to everyone else here (mostly sincerely), and to author Steven Erikson who expects more from his fans (entirely sincerely).

And to bring this back to thread topic, I think Erayle quote-fu'd the direct answer to everybody's speculation. Please give him or her at least one +rep for every -rep you think I should get.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#34 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:07 AM

View Postharoos, on 19 September 2010 - 07:02 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 18 September 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

See.

i have a feeling that if i returned the favor about other religions, this will not elicit humor.
but for you europeans, there are different rules, as always.

dON'T THINK YOU SHOULD BE NEG-REP FOR GIVING YOUR OPINION. HAVE POS-REP

#35 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:04 AM

Good one Erayle, that answers it pretty succintly. I concur that it's just him being special cause he's the First Sword.

View Postlobo the wolfman, on 18 September 2010 - 11:12 PM, said:

I seem to recall that the Tellann anti-magic field around Tool was done to him by the Bonecasters just so he could free Raest, but l can't remember where I read it.

No, it's a continued ability of his. In MoI he talks about how he can't use it because "something" (Silverfox) is drawing from him.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#36 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

View Postlobo the wolfman, on 18 September 2010 - 11:12 PM, said:

I know that was put forward by someone on the boards as a possible explanation for the potential GotMism of his magic deadening field. Don't recall reading anything about it in any of the books though.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#37 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

My personal (and crazy) theory is that like the Matrons, Bonecasters received all the magical capacity of their children (or in this case, clans) after being chosen at the First Gathering, and that the same thing happened to Tool (or maybe it was his sword that granted him the ability to access Tellan? I recall him returning to life after dropping it at the end of MoI, and Envy saying it was aspected to an "appalling degree", able to slice through wards and whatnot)
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#38 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

View PostErayle, on 20 September 2010 - 03:18 AM, said:

My personal (and crazy) theory is that like the Matrons, Bonecasters received all the magical capacity of their children (or in this case, clans) after being chosen at the First Gathering, and that the same thing happened to Tool (or maybe it was his sword that granted him the ability to access Tellan? I recall him returning to life after dropping it at the end of MoI, and Envy saying it was aspected to an "appalling degree", able to slice through wards and whatnot)

we know Kilava to be a bonecaster of singular skill who wasn't at the first gathering... n she was the one who gave Tools sword a serious power-up

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#39 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

Tool dropping his sword to the ground was symbolic, showing Silverfox his wish to no longer be the First Sword of the Imass. It was Silverfox who returned him to life although it happens off-screen.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#40 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

View Postworrywort, on 19 September 2010 - 09:56 PM, said:

I didn't realize Haroos actually was a nation of people, only that he thinks he is. I apologize if that was taken as a barb against the nation of Israel or any religion (??) rather than a silly riff on one boarder's mono-faceted persona. I know the board is divided into different sections for a reason, and perhaps the lines are meant to be more impermeable than I thought. Anyway, I meant it more light-hearted than Haroos (perhaps predictably, in retrospect) took it. Mostly I miss Nicodimas, who is awesome and could take some ribbing without pitching a fit; perhaps I took that out on the second-craziest person here without fully taking into account the context. I apologize to Haroos (somewhat sincerely), to everyone else here (mostly sincerely), and to author Steven Erikson who expects more from his fans (entirely sincerely).

And to bring this back to thread topic, I think Erayle quote-fu'd the direct answer to everybody's speculation. Please give him or her at least one +rep for every -rep you think I should get.

that's not what happened.
to your original post i responded that "i don't care to understand what the relation is".
i didn't understand what you meant, and didn't want to explore it.

just so i'm clear, i was ready to leave it at that.
you and that other guy didn't.

what that other guy said was _______ (fill in the blank), and you seconded him, or so it seemed to me.
sorry if you were hurt for being blamed of hurting others ..... when u did just that.

This post has been edited by haroos: 20 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users