• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MINECRAFT Pixelated Crack

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

Anyone gotten into this "game" yet? I've been seeing videos and threads praising its addictiveness for months now and I'm itching to start playing around with it.

For those who don't know about the game check out the webpage where you can also check out the very basics of the game in a browser version.

http://www.minecraft.net/

The game seems incredibly basic at first but some of the stuff I've seen people build is ridiculous. Check out this video, the guy is insane:

EDIT: Just a little background. This game is still under development and hasn't even reached beta testing yet, but the cool thing is that it is just one guy working on it realising new improvements all the time. This is the indiest of games. And yet it has already sold over a hundred thousand copies. This guy is going to be rich. If not when the game becomes available on bigger sites then when he sells out to some big developer for a crazy boatload of money.

EDIT2:

I'm making this into a list of cool and interesting pictures, videos, articles, etc.

----------------------

THE MALAZAN MINECRAFT SERVER

Courtesy of Slippery Jim Cerveza Fiesta we have a Malazan Minecraft World up and running.

The server is 24/7.

PM Cerveza Fiesta if you want to be added, he'll issue you with a password.

---------------------------

Essentials:

The Word of Notch: Notch, the developer, has his own blog were he posts news about his business and game development. Try to ignore the youtube style comments people leave on his blog. He adds secret updates to the game every friday.

Notch's to do list: Don't know how regularly he updates this, but it's interesting.

Minepedia: A wiki containing useful information about Minecraft. Good idea to read up on the crafting recipes.

Minecraft.net: The official forums of Minecraft, it is slowly being expanded and upgraded to handle the growing stream of players. It mostly consists of dumb teenagers with an over inflated feeling of self entitlement.

r/minecraft: The sub-reddit dedicated to Minecraft. It is constantly updated with the newest articles and videos about minecraft. A big and flourishing community.

Comprehensive start up guide with pictures and in depth explanations.

Cartograph - a programme that shows a map of your world (the parts you've explored

Minecraft FACTS: List of sources of information about the game and Notchs future plans that can be confirmed and validated

Minedraft - A spreadsheet type programme that lets you made designs. It is under development and hopefully in the future you can design in layers.

-------------------------------------

Videos

X's adventures in Minecraft: A youtube series following a guy starting out in the game. It is very insightful and the guy is great at designing. It's also extremely addicting. If you're still in doubt about the game just watch a couple of hours of this.

Welcome to Minecraft by SeaNanners: This guy is massively popular on youtube and is probably partially responsible for Minecrafts sudden explosion in new buyers.

Coe's Quest.

Awesomemattg's construction videos

---------------------------------------------

Texture packs changing the look and feel of the game:

The Painterly Pack

Doku's RPG theme

And this one isn't finished yet but it looks amazing, it's a HD texture pack:

Better grass mod

Zelda goodness - (What I'm using currently) A mix of Link to the Past and Mask of Majora.

Super Mario World Texture Pack

Brown and Bloom

Texture pack that allows you to change the worlds look compared to the seasons.

NOTICE: This is a great list of every texture pack available (currently)

------------------------------

Skin packs:

http://skins.tkte.ch/

--------------------------------------------

Trailers:

The Inception Minecraft

In the Hall of the Mountain King

---------------------------------------------

Cool stuff:

Slime powered minecarts

Water powered boat elevator (for those deep mine shafts)

tutorial on building smart mine strack systems

Ridiculously clever and intricate minecart system used for hauling freight

Arrow Cannon - Our arrows will blot out the sun.

Diagram showing how to make circles

Gigantic one man building project

And this is a video walk through of the giant building project. It is breath taking.

Recreation of the first dungeon in Zelda: Links awakening

TNT cannon

Epic Slime Boss Battle

Riksdagshuset

Canon Transportation

Obsidian Blastshields

16 bit computer built with redstone dust

Minecraft Poster

Minecraft Battlecruiser

Colloseum

Boat Hopping Transport System

15 kilo ton cube

The Flying Dutchman

Minecraft Interstate

Programme that designs schematics for a sphere of any size, Just change the value in each box to 1.0

This post has been edited by Battle Plaptypus: 10 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

#2 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

This is AWESOME!!
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#3 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

fuck you Apt. fuck you. this is incredible.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

Another potential customer caught in the web.

I would buy it but I just started Uni and I don't want to to get addicted in the first month of school.

#5 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

Why is this game so appealing? (not rhetorical) Do you get to populate it with monsters? Where's the loot?

Do you just build stuff and walk around it?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

The Sims meets Oblivion? :s
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 03 September 2010 - 12:28 PM, said:

Why is this game so appealing? (not rhetorical) Do you get to populate it with monsters? Where's the loot?

It's appealing because it's so massive. The creator has foregone all forms of fancy graphics to exclusively concentrate on game mechanics and world building. You can build anything and everything. It's like ultima online, only society has been gobbled up by a massive horde of undead. And it's bigger in every way. It's an entire world populated by zombies, skeletons and a very few living players. So when he said he'll see you online at the end, he was lying. You'll be in the same world as him, but you'll never see each other. Ever. And that is fucking awesome.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#8 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

This looks very interesting.

Definitely something I'd try.

#9 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

It is very very addictive. Bought it a week ago, and not a single regret. Can't find any actual point to the game, but my lava wall is oh so nice.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 03 September 2010 - 12:28 PM, said:

Like Brynjar said the appeal lies in the vastness of the world you are given to play with and the simplicity of the design. The creator has foregone beautiful cinematic type graphics and returned us to something aching to what games looked like 15 or 20 years ago only now the processor power has become so big that you can create insane depth and scale to the world you inhabit.

Personally to me the appeal lies in the creation of crazy things and the manipulation of the environment. The combat (if you can call it that) and the interaction with the mobs is just something secondary, like an obstacle set in the world to challenge you. What I want to do is explore this world and create something big and advanced out of simple building blocks.

It would be fun to try and build something like the Deragoth statues in the Nascent. A Golden City of the Incas flying in the sky. Recreating the 7 wonders of the world.

#11 User is offline   Nemorensis 

• Sarcasm Dispenser

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Been pondering the whole day whether or not to buy it. Gnarf.

#12 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

Looks very neat. Gonna have to check it out sometime.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#13 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

Friend of mine did one you MW2 fans will recognize:

This post has been edited by Eddie Dean: 04 September 2010 - 01:25 AM

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#14 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:46 AM

Spent all evening playing it...it's AWESOME.

Got myself a sinister dungeon lair (unfurnished) and am in the process of building a fortress on one of those strange floating islands (Moon's Spawn style)...hell yeah!
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#15 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Silencer might as well just stop the Malazan RPG project in its tracks and start building Wu + all warrens here.

Looks cool. Will check it out tonight.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

I now have an urge to buy the game, start a game with the big floating islands and re-sculpt one of them into a replica of Moons Spawn...

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Gah. Okay I caved and bought the game.

So, I'm getting my shit together. Figured out how to put things together to make tools and weapons. I build a house. Make a dungeon leading into an ever deepening mine. Everything is good.

I come upstairs to make some new stuff and pick up new tools when I hear something outside the house. A ZOMBIE!

Okay I think, lets see what this thing is up to. I make a hole and look out, there it is, just banging against the side of the house, looking for flesh. So I get out my sword to see just how hard it is to kick a zombies ass in this game.

I take one step outside and BOOM! I'm dead. What. The. Fuck. I run back to my house and half of it is GONE blown sky high. Everything I owned is strewn out across the area like, well, a bomb went off.

Seems the zombie wasn't a zombie. It was a walking bomb. And it is still night. And there's fucking skeletons with bows and arrows and zombies and I have no where to hide.

Well, fuck me, this game doesn't play around.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 07 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Hmm. It appears that currently it is only the survival mode that is available. No tutorial. No build mode. I can't design the world I want to play in.

I'm going to have to do some research on the Minepedia to figure out what the hell I'm doing here.

#19 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:25 PM

I watched a few vids on youtube. Kickass game.

Dude was walking around murdering the hell out of those walking bomb things.

Another guy had a strategy of lighting every tree around him on fire to keep the area lit through the night

Kickass concept.

I want to see your moon's spawn when its done.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:02 AM

Hmm. How was he handling the creepers? (Walking bombs) was he using bows and arrows? So far my approach to handing them is either running the fuck away or luring them to my fortress and hitting them through a window praying to god they don't make a hole in the wall.

This game is like crack. I played some 3-4 hours almost non-stop last night and then spent all night dreaming about digging and construction. Something about the simple yet creative nature of the game apparently appeals to my subconscious.

Share this topic:

• 215 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users