• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MINECRAFT Pixelated Crack

#2281 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

That was a great idea, don't want to see D'rek quit either.

It sucks that we're approaching a defensive vibe here, but if we take some steps, maybe the griefers will get bored and go away (or we catch them)
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#2282 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

http://forums.bukkit...doors-953.9653/

Chest Locking as above?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#2283 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

I don't really have extra time for serious server admin or frigging beyond simple updates, WL maintenance and server backups. I've been putting the onus of special requests on the requester and providing what help I can. For example, d'rek did the editing herself and I just made sure the server was shut down and backups were provided during the required interval.

I'm also not sure if an established world can be turned into a bukkit server, and now that i mention it, I'm still not really sure what bukkit is, even after having read about it.

Anyway, if you want to look into it and you figure it's not going to be a bunch of hassle to get it going, then I'm open to having lockable containers.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2284 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

I had no idea that you needed a special kind of 'server' to do this, I thought it was just a module you plugged into your minecraft server after a quick search over lunch at work.

I really don't need locked chests. In fact all chests should be free and open for viewing... wait... are we still talking about minecraft? :p
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#2285 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

I hope the cut+paste doesn't annoy anyone... I know we try not to use mod/admin privileges in our works and some people are very adamant about this.

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 13 July 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

D'rek can comment better than I, but as I understand, if an area were to be severely attacked, correcting the problem is as simple as cutting the chunks from an older backup file and pasting them into current server file. I

Basically I opened a backup of the world in the program MCEdit (though other editor programs would work as well, I assume), selected the area around my citadel and saved those blocks as a separate MCEdit schematic file. I opened that separately and deleted the miscellaneous terrain around it that I didn't want to copy with it. Then when CF gave me the current world files, I opened those in MCEdit. For removing the existing structure, I selected my citadel and the blocks around it (because of the selection limitations - you can only select blocks in box shapes and the citadel is cylindrical) and turned all those blocks to air. Then I selected the air blocks up to sea level and replaced them with water (I should have replaced the bottom layer with bedrock but didn't think to do that). For adding the (pre-grief) citadel back in in a different location, I simply imported the previously created schematic file and pasted it into place.

That's more complicated than a basic repair would be if there's no changing locations. If there's no change of location, it is easy to just create a schematic file from the backup and paste it into the same area in the current map. Since the terrain won't have changed, it will just override wherever the griefing has occured with the old version's blocks (air included).

Lastly, I want to thank CF again because he was a lot of help in this and kind of enough to let me do it!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2286 User is offline   Wolfy 

• Lair of the Spectacular Tongue Beast
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 13 July 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

I don't really have extra time for serious server admin or frigging beyond simple updates, WL maintenance and server backups. I've been putting the onus of special requests on the requester and providing what help I can. For example, d'rek did the editing herself and I just made sure the server was shut down and backups were provided during the required interval.

I'm also not sure if an established world can be turned into a bukkit server, and now that i mention it, I'm still not really sure what bukkit is, even after having read about it.

Anyway, if you want to look into it and you figure it's not going to be a bunch of hassle to get it going, then I'm open to having lockable containers.

Glad to hear D'rek is still with us :p

For bukkit it is rather simple to setup and use an existing world, once you have it up and running you just replace the created world with your existing world save just like you would a vanilla server.

#2287 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

It seems at least 500 blocks of my tunnel and track have been filled in. I hope my tower is still there on the the other side. it appears to be a bug not griefers.
Error: Signature not valid

#2288 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Hmm...we had problems like that awhile back. Chunks I was working on within moon spawn got reset 3 times because the server wasn't saving them reliably. I haven't had any problems whatsoever since then...that was pre-1.0 beta release. I'll PM jim and see what he did to solve it back then.

There should not have been any loss of data during the editing event. D'rek just edited her little area and backfilled with water. I saved immediately before shutting down and I didn't have the server turned on during any part of her work so there should not be any way that work was done and lost as a result of loading D'rek's edited world. I'm sorry that happened but the game is still in Beta and annoying things still sometimes happen (although not as frequently as they used to).

If your tower is missing or something, please let us know right away. I can see if D'rek can do another quick copy-paste from an older backup to correct the issue. An op could also replace your missing rails and provide a few diamond pics to get you back to normal.

If you happen to be online today I can easily help you replace your rails etc...via the server interface. I'll check periodically, or just PM with a time you might be on.

@D'rek

Do you mean there is a hole in the bottom of the world where your place was? I'd like to fill that in with bedrock if possible. I think people falling into it can get stuck there until an op can tp them away or something. ie...I don't think there is a game mechanic yet that kills players who "fall through the world".

@Wolfy,

So what exactly is a bukkit server then. Is it an extra interface that handles mods or something? I've never seen it in action.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 14 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2289 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

@all

What do y'all think about a server reset when V. 1.8 comes out or perhaps later this fall when the full release comes out?

I know they are adding an adventure mode that provides incentive for questing, dungeons, NPC towns, more crafting recipes, new combat mechanics and a bunch of other fun stuff. Plus there have been a lot of changes to the way minerals are distributed within the block strata, etc...

We would not be deleting the original malaz world, just putting it on hold to try the new game mode for awhile. Maybe rather than have separate establishments at far points of the map, we could inhabit a valley, build a town in it and use it as a communal questing hub, a resource pooling site and meeting place for co-op adventuring

And build an arena for PVPing....something we never really got around to on the present server.

Just throwing that out there as a possibility. Nothing to say folks can't build their own satelite bases outside the main area on the new server too, just kinda centralize things and be more cooperative.

EDIT

As an afterthought, nothing says we couldn't do a massive world edit and cut/paste everybody's base onto a new server, or provide the world file for people to continue their projects in single player, then cut/paste back into the original malaz world file at a later date.

Maybe somebody else would want to start a second Malaz server to run the original world while the adventure-world is run on my server.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 14 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2290 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 14 July 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hmm...we had problems like that awhile back. Chunks I was working on within moon spawn got reset 3 times because the server wasn't saving them reliably. I haven't had any problems whatsoever since then...that was pre-1.0 beta release. I'll PM jim and see what he did to solve it back then.

There should not have been any loss of data during the editing event. D'rek just edited her little area and backfilled with water. I saved immediately before shutting down and I didn't have the server turned on during any part of her work so there should not be any way that work was done and lost as a result of loading D'rek's edited world. I'm sorry that happened but the game is still in Beta and annoying things still sometimes happen (although not as frequently as they used to).

If your tower is missing or something, please let us know right away. I can see if D'rek can do another quick copy-paste from an older backup to correct the issue. An op could also replace your missing rails and provide a few diamond pics to get you back to normal.

If you happen to be online today I can easily help you replace your rails etc...via the server interface. I'll check periodically, or just PM with a time you might be on.

It could have happened if there was an error in transferring the world files back and forth across the FTP. If a chunk got screwed up, I guess the map rebuilds it? Every region (region = 32x32 group of chunks) has its own file, so if one of those files got damaged in transfer you could replace it with the old region file. RLY's not close to me so it wouldn't undo any of the changes we've made.

See Minecraft Wiki - Beta Level Format for more information.

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 14 July 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

@D'rek

Do you mean there is a hole in the bottom of the world where your place was? I'd like to fill that in with bedrock if possible. I think people falling into it can get stuck there until an op can tp them away or something. ie...I don't think there is a game mechanic yet that kills players who "fall through the world".

There is, though no one is likely to fall through it (you'll drown a few times over trying to sink that far). I'm still scouting my new zone to make sure everything transferred okay, but after that the next thing I'm going to do is go back and fill the bottom layer of that hole (with bedrock if I can spawn it, Obsidian if I can't).

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2291 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

@CF - sounds like some good ideas there

I think the cut & paste option sounds better if we can keep all our resources that have been gathered. A new world full of fresh resources would be cool, I'm down for adventures & PvP. I would hate to see all the time & work everyone has invested be lost by moving to a new world, but if we can take it all with us, rock on. I would need some time to ship all my resources by rail back to my fort for warehousing.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#2292 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

@HO

Just thinking out loud, really. Nothing is set...and beta isn't due out until fall. We may be able to change our existing world file to an adventure server with little effort...it remains to be seen what the 1.8 update will do to things and what options will be available for existing servers. Like previous updates, all the good new stuff will only be available outside the already-explored areas of the map I would imagine.

Perhaps it would suffice to change the spawn point to a totally remote location after 1.8 comes out. That way we all keep our server untouched but have a cool new hub to explore the 1.8 content.

I'm just as happy with a totally clean slate actually. As much as I like my bases I'm happy to try something totally new just to shake it up a bit and keep everybody interested and to get all the users together in one spot for some co-op projects and co-op adventuring. I remember building the Azath co-op with Apt and a few others. That was a lot of fun. And the day the azath got filled with monsters and it took 10 of us collectively murdering mobs to clean up the mess. It was way awesomer than plunking down blocks in remote areas on my own.

We could even rotate things, like have 2 weeks of adventure server followed by 2 weeks of original server or something like that. Editing peoples' forts into the new world would be pretty cool, although it would be a lot of work to make it all fit together seamlessly.

And like i said, this would not, by any means, mean deletion of the original world file. Simply shelving it for awhile to provide a new experience....or shelving it permanently and making it available for download for anybody who wants to continue with it in single-player mode (any MP map can be run in SP mode). Whatever people want.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 14 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2293 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'll be online off and on over the next few hours.

#2294 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

K,

So apparently the editing caused massive chunk reloads all around the main area (and around RLYs), which likely means the whole map is speckled with errors.

I discussed with d'rek and we're reverting to the July 12 backup (the one she edited from)

So things will be set back by 2 day and my apologies for the inconvenience. We may try it again but will be more careful next time that errors don't creep in. I'll keep you posted. As for now, business as usual and d'rek is in her usual spot.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2295 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Funny thing is 2 days ago I started on my skyscraper project. I would appreciate if I could get back around 1500 stone so I can start building it again. Don't feel like mining and smelting everything all over again.
No Touchy.

#2296 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 14 July 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

Funny thing is 2 days ago I started on my skyscraper project. I would appreciate if I could get back around 1500 stone so I can start building it again. Don't feel like mining and smelting everything all over again.

Bear with us, we very likely might be able to restore the two broken regions without losing anything else.

From what I can tell, it looks like two regions got wiped out during the editing, whether from the editor program, bad internet transfer, user error, whatever. So the edited was map was put on the server without those regions and when players went back it regenerated those regions au natural. Since every region is stored in its own file, it should be possible to just take the files for those regions and over-write them in the current world's directory.

For those interested, the wiped out regions are:

Region -1.1 --> Everything between the (X, Z) coordinates: (-512, 512), (-512, 1024), (0, 1024), and (0 512). This is just west of Moon's Spawn and clipped some of the Pyramid.

Region 5.1 --> Everything between: (2560, 512), (2560, 1024), (3072, 512), and (3072, 1024). This is an area in the south that includes RLY's building(s).

My apologies and your patience please as we resolve these horrible dilemmas.

#2297 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

So are we good to go, or is it still not safe?

#2298 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Screw it. Resuming building.

#2299 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

I cant find any inspiration of what to build, I had been building such an epic castle forte in offline mode, it makes me sad face to start again. so far I have made my infinite monster spawner/drowner, so I have plenty of mob drops if any one needs them. they are quickly filling up my inventory >< and any suggestions at things I should start building in my zone. also after looking at the world map, it feels like its still way to close to every one else. not sure if I should move futher away or just build any way. hrmmm, well I might wait atleast untill this whole roll back thing is steady.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#2300 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

I love the idea of transplanting existing projects to a new map in 1.8.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

Share this topic:

• 215 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users