#41 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

View PostKingTeholBeddict, on 23 September 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 22 September 2010 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 22 September 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

Could someone pull off some Quote Fu about Kolanse being inaccesible from the sea?

Of course it's not inacessible from the sea - it's a continent.

"Oh they're not gong to the Wastelands, my Queen, they're gong to Kolanse. They're just passing through the Wastelands since they no longer have the the transports to get to Kolanse by sea. Nor have we the ships to accommodate them alas" - Tehol (DoD)

But what about the Perish Thrones of War, couldn't they have met up with the Malazans there?
Also, if Tavore knew that she had to get to Kolanse, why did she burn the transports?

Mind you, I'm for the theory that Tavore knew they had to get to Kolanse, but it just doesn't make sense...

well i grant you that burning the transports was weird. i think it was more for her soldiers than for anyone else. like gesler said, it's so they know there's no going back. which is kinda fucked up all the same.

that being said, the aforementioned reasons for invading lether still stand. dethroning rhulad and destroying the sword.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#42 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 23 September 2010 - 04:30 PM, said:

View PostKingTeholBeddict, on 23 September 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 22 September 2010 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 22 September 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

Could someone pull off some Quote Fu about Kolanse being inaccesible from the sea?

Of course it's not inacessible from the sea - it's a continent.

"Oh they're not gong to the Wastelands, my Queen, they're gong to Kolanse. They're just passing through the Wastelands since they no longer have the the transports to get to Kolanse by sea. Nor have we the ships to accommodate them alas" - Tehol (DoD)

But what about the Perish Thrones of War, couldn't they have met up with the Malazans there?
Also, if Tavore knew that she had to get to Kolanse, why did she burn the transports?

Mind you, I'm for the theory that Tavore knew they had to get to Kolanse, but it just doesn't make sense...

well i grant you that burning the transports was weird. i think it was more for her soldiers than for anyone else. like gesler said, it's so they know there's no going back. which is kinda fucked up all the same.

that being said, the aforementioned reasons for invading lether still stand. dethroning rhulad and destroying the sword.

Ya beat me to the punch Sinisdar! Crazy as shit, sure. But still, by burning the transports she put the proverbial "wall at their backs" for the soldiers. We are here, and we are gonna stay. Invade, survive, and be witnessed by none. Or something like that.....

#43 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

Kinda like Arthas did. And... wasn't there something like that in the Illiad? The burning of ships, that is.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#44 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

In Ilias Trojans tried to burn Greek (kchm kchm) ships...which really scarred them.

For Tavoreīs burning. She wasnt decided what to do - or exactly to do - after defeating Edur. After reading she stormed HQ of Bonehunters, pretty upset.

"When she spoke, her tone was uncharacteristically harsh, as if rage seethed just beneath the surface. "The gods can have their war. We will not be used, not by them, not by anyone. I do not care how history judges us - I hope thatīs well understood".

"The reading was an insult. To all of us."

IMO we didnt see all her activities behind the scene. Conquering Lether was first part, for her maybe key part to failing of CGīs plans. And after fall of Lether/ Edur and after reading she realizes that she was used. By whom - we dont know (except Hetan:))).

Or Im totally mistaken:) Its question if Perish and Khundryl were waiting or already moving to Kolanse, or waiting in space to make moves against Edur empire from east. Dunno, reread is slow now:)

And last one for burning of transports. Edur used really heavy underwater demon cannon. Losing whole army during sail to Kolanse would suck. She can presume that CG posses powers that he can invoke in Edur or other subjects...walking, even through Wasteland is safer. You can fight, not just swim and pray. Yeah, of course, if you count bunch of Nahruk furies, risk of drowning isnt so bad:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#45 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:52 AM

that demon is trapped, it's not stopping anything or anyone from doing anything.

sorry to shoot down your argument. friends?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#46 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 24 September 2010 - 04:52 AM, said:

that demon is trapped, it's not stopping anything or anyone from doing anything.

sorry to shoot down your argument. friends?

Withyour icon? Of course!:) Well he is trapped, but does Tavore know that CG cant "salvage demon storage" anymore? No:) (or she does and so is more badass than we expected)

edit: But to be correct, at the beginning of DoD she knows that enemy isnt CG. So se fears gods (probably isnt sure which team Mael chose) and FA (and know not much about power of AK...mmm...AK...most badass version is AK-47)

This post has been edited by Ulrik: 24 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#47 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

Burning the transports was to demonstrate to all, her army, the Edur and the Letherii - there is no going back for the Malazans.
Not sure why this seems to be a sticking point. It has a two-fold effect. Hardens her army - they know they're going to have to fight to stay alive. Demoralises her enemy - this is one hard-assed army and if they're prepared to burn their ships then they're preparing to stay.

Strike hard and fast for the capital, subdue the Edur, deal with Rhulad and destroy the sword, then find out all you can about the Wastelands and the other territories you will need to treat with and head out to Kolanse. She can't afford to fight her way across those territories or to have armies appearing out of the blue so I think it's pretty sound tactics. In addition we have seen that sea traffic in and around Kolanse has stopped, nothing has been in or out for months at least I think it's months Abrastal talks about. Although I don't recall reading that Tavore actually knew how bad the Wastelands were before she got to Letheras and had all the Letherii maps (such as they were) at her disposal - does anyone else recall this?
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

Masochists love lether.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

View PostHetan, on 24 September 2010 - 07:43 AM, said:

... I don't recall reading that Tavore actually knew how bad the Wastelands were before she got to Letheras and had all the Letherii maps (such as they were) at her disposal - does anyone else recall this?

As a starting point something called 'the wastelands' isn't exactly likely to be disneyland, but there were a few scenes in DoD of the Bonehunters' command planning and looking at maps and so on, so i think tavore had some idea but wanted as much info as possible.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#50 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

Probably didn't express that well enough - I should say that I don't recall if she knew her destination was the wastelands before she got to letheras :)
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#51 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

Another thing I felt was that prior to Lether many of the 14th still didn't really feel like an army. The battle against the Apocalypse was a non-event for them because a bunch of dead folk sorted it for them. Y'Ghatan involved most of them watching a a chunk of the army burn up.

They needed to 'win' something, properly, via military means before they could be ready for the wasteland. It was a psychological necessity.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#52 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Is that a good point? I can't properly tell anymore, but it seems to me like that is a good point.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users