• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why invade Lether at all? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Ah. So why the detour to Lether, then? "Just" liberation? Was taking down Rhulad that important - I mean, Karsa had it covered. Vengeance for imperial citizens then? Why not sail straight to Kolanse? Or was it precisely to blunt the Nahr'rhuk and deliver Stormy and Gesler to where they had to be?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#22 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

It was primarily to take out Rhulad with his combined Edur and Letherii forces.
With his being under the influence of the Crippled God he had to be subdued and his sword dealt with.
Did she know about Karsa? I don't think so, and even if she had, I doubt she could take the chance that either he or another champion might pick up the Crippled God's sword and become another puppet emperor, with mastery over the Andii wraiths etc.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#23 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

View PostAsmodeus de, on 25 August 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

There's one thing that bothers me, from a military/strategic POV. Perhaps this has ben adressed in the books and I just missed it but....

Why did the Bonehunters invade Lether? The obvious answer is to topple the oppressive Edur regime that was controlled/influenced by the Crippled God. Liberation is a good and noble casue and I can agree with that. But it seems like an unecessary detour. All things point to that the main action is in Kolanse. That's where the heart of the CG lies, that is where the FA prepare... whatever they do. Why bother with Lether? Why land there, destroy the transports, waste valuable time fighting the Letherii troops and then march all the way to Kolanse? Why not go directly to Kolanse by boat, and just skip Lether and the march through the Wastelands. Sure, it's nice to liberate a people, but we're talking about stopping the end of the world. Surely haste is a good thing?

And again, let's say that there was a reason that Lether had to be liberated first. Why march through the Wastelands? Why not go to Kolanse by boat (I know they burned the transports, but hire or commision new ones)?

I hope there will be at least some reason given in the upcoming book why they had to do what they did because from a military POV I can't make any sense whatsoever of it.

they didn't "have to", they were pushed.
by shadowthrone.
just like he kidnapped quick ben to help defend the throne of shadow.
t'ambre was part of that as well, as in her death she did something to icarium, that made him calm his rage.
the perish with their own call for justice.

#24 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

T'amber had nothing to do with Icarium, that was the eres'al.

I doubt that Tavore would take all her troops sailing into Kolanse and a situation about which she had little or no intelligence and we have seen that Tavore understands tactics very very well.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#25 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Plus I'm sure they wanted allies behind them helping with their supply. The BH were under the assumption that the Edur has subjugated the Letherii humans. They probably figured once they kicked some Edur ass they could gain a kingdom as allies before their trek across the wastelands. And they didn't do a bad job of that either, getting some troops, Brys, and help from Mael.

Though I agree with above posters that the biggest reason was neutralizing Rhulad and his sword.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

We still don't know all there is to know about Tavore and why she's doing what she's doing, but it's clear she's getting guidance from somewhere.

She knew the 14th had to go to Malaz island to pick up Withal, tho at the time she didn't necessarily know why. Withal, being the smith who made Rhulad's sword, was the best person to break it and had to be in Lether during the convergence. I doubt Tavore knew the specifics, but there it is.

I agree with the upthread discussion as to the logic behind the invasion, especially in terms of not leaving a CG controlled Letherii/Edur Empire at the 14th's back, but also note that 'giving answer' was the excuse Tavore gave the troops to keep them on mission. I'd guess that the invasion also had the effect of blooding/hardening the army for Kolanse.

While it's hinted that the CG has various cults and empires in various places, leaving him linked to Rhulad might have interferred with whatever is going to happen in Kolanse.

- Abyss, also notes that the Letherii/edur Empire just really needed its ass kicked.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

View PostHetan, on 22 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:

T'amber had nothing to do with Icarium, that was the eres'al.

I doubt that Tavore would take all her troops sailing into Kolanse and a situation about which she had little or no intelligence and we have seen that Tavore understands tactics very very well.

i meant the eresal that possessed t'ambre.

#28 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

But she didnt die. It was T´amber or Eres´al. T´a mber died, Eresal went to her time...times...time loops...whatever...:) And guy raping:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

I guess I did just make up that part. Probably got confused with the Princess and Shurq's boat getting ready to be assaulted by the big-ass storm. Still, four out of five in seven minutes ain't too bad.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#30 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

View Postdarkul, on 22 September 2010 - 10:07 AM, said:

And why should [Withal] be the only one able to destroy it? Are we with Tolkien here (can only be destroyed where it was forged, in this case by whom it was forged, and all is good again)? I doubt it.

But...isn't that exactly what Withal did? And besides that, isn't that the reason it took Burn's Hammer to break Dragnipur in TtH?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#31 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 22 September 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

And why should [Withal] be the only one able to destroy it? Are we with Tolkien here (can only be destroyed where it was forged, in this case by whom it was forged, and all is good again)? I doubt it.

But...isn't that exactly what Withal did? And besides that, isn't that the reason it took Burn's Hammer to break Dragnipur in TtH?

Wait, what? So you're saying Draconus used Burn's Hammer to forge Dragnipur?
I'd always assumed it was because it was the only other weapon capable of destroying it...

EDIT: Found the scene I was looking for, here it is:

"I can tell you now who broke Dragnipur. There could be no other. The Warlord."

"Brood. Yes, I see that. The weapon he holds - none other. But that only confuses things all the more. Rake would not have willingly surrendered that weapon, not even to Caladan Brood."

"We are agreed the Son of Darkness is dead? Yet his slayer did not take Dragnipur. Can it be that the Warlord killed him?"

"Centuries of speculation - who was the deadlier of the two? Have we our answer? This is absurd - can any of us even imagine a cause that would so divide those two? With the history they shared?"

This post has been edited by Erayle: 22 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#32 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:16 AM

So I have a questions to all the parttakers here:
Do you make notes, lists, gather details in an excel sheet and such to know so much or do you just recollect all of those details you mention out of your mind?
Sure, there is the wiki for that, but that is by far not complete. Is anyone of you also working in that wiki-project?

Last evening I wanted to start with a list. After the first 40 pages of GotM I came to realize that it would take years to collect all those fine filaments scattered over kilograms of words.
I mean, how can one remember after 8000 pages where someone mentioned what is where in the book, which detail makes someone being this or that, knowing, guessing, revealing some secret in some coded phrase or sentence?
Yes, there is the possibility using digital search, but that is not the Holy Grail.

The conclusion was: Lad, read it several times and you'll find out or find new things that make you wonder/ponder. Is that it easy?

Ya, I've read the books multiple times and sorta memorized most everything. I only need to open the books now to find a quote instead of paraphrasing it. I'm guessing many people here are in the same boat, as well.

I'm still standing by the "Tavore is aloof to hide her ignorance" theory. Wouldn't that be so ironic, to have her lead her army all this way and through so much on little hints and scraps of knowledge, only to be totally out of her league and waste all their lives for naught. Tavore is fueled by a vague prophecy or two from T'Amber, stubbornness, and little else.

View PostErayle, on 22 September 2010 - 11:07 PM, said:

I'd always assumed it was because it was the only other weapon capable of destroying it...

Draconus talks about using Burn's hammer to forge the chains of dragnipur. It's definitely that hammer that he used. Perhaps "chains and chains, chains to bind, etc etc" will jar your memory. Although, now that I think on it, I'm not sure he explicitly said he used burn's hammer to forge the sword itself. Especially since he was forging it "since the time of all-darkness", I had always assumed that either that preceded burn/wu or that draconus hadn't left kurald galain yet.

This post has been edited by iRFNA: 23 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

#33 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 22 September 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

My take on the Withal thing. He's not the only one that could have broken the Crippled God's sword. But he did say an aspected weapon must be broken in the forge where it was made. And since he's the one who made it, he's the only one that knew where it was forged, and could take it back. That's why Tavore needed him.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#34 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

View PostiRFNA, on 23 September 2010 - 12:16 AM, said:

So I have a questions to all the parttakers here:
Do you make notes, lists, gather details in an excel sheet and such to know so much or do you just recollect all of those details you mention out of your mind?
Sure, there is the wiki for that, but that is by far not complete. Is anyone of you also working in that wiki-project?

Last evening I wanted to start with a list. After the first 40 pages of GotM I came to realize that it would take years to collect all those fine filaments scattered over kilograms of words.
I mean, how can one remember after 8000 pages where someone mentioned what is where in the book, which detail makes someone being this or that, knowing, guessing, revealing some secret in some coded phrase or sentence?
Yes, there is the possibility using digital search, but that is not the Holy Grail.

The conclusion was: Lad, read it several times and you'll find out or find new things that make you wonder/ponder. Is that it easy?

Ya, I've read the books multiple times and sorta memorized most everything. I only need to open the books now to find a quote instead of paraphrasing it. I'm guessing many people here are in the same boat, as well.

I'm still standing by the "Tavore is aloof to hide her ignorance" theory. Wouldn't that be so ironic, to have her lead her army all this way and through so much on little hints and scraps of knowledge, only to be totally out of her league and waste all their lives for naught. Tavore is fueled by a vague prophecy or two from T'Amber, stubbornness, and little else.

View PostErayle, on 22 September 2010 - 11:07 PM, said:

Draconus talks about using Burn's hammer to forge the chains of dragnipur. It's definitely that hammer that he used. Perhaps "chains and chains, chains to bind, etc etc" will jar your memory. Although, now that I think on it, I'm not sure he explicitly said he used burn's hammer to forge the sword itself. Especially since he was forging it "since the time of all-darkness", I had always assumed that either that preceded burn/wu or that draconus hadn't left kurald galain yet.

well remember, when dragnipur took the form of a sword, it had already existed for some time. in RCG prologue it's just a personal black hole or something. i think that making the sword a physical blade was it's 'final shaping' so to speak. a sealing of the ritual draconus had created into a permanent(not really) physical form that he could hold in his hand and whack things with.

point being, he could have used burns hammer. we don't know for sure how long it's been around either.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#35 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:45 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 23 September 2010 - 04:00 AM, said:

well remember, when dragnipur took the form of a sword, it had already existed for some time. in RCG prologue it's just a personal black hole or something. i think that making the sword a physical blade was it's 'final shaping' so to speak. a sealing of the ritual draconus had created into a permanent(not really) physical form that he could hold in his hand and whack things with.

point being, he could have used burns hammer. we don't know for sure how long it's been around either.

Perhaps its form, before kallor's curse forced him to reconsider its function and permanency, was precisely the "sword" that he is wielding now. Instead of binding the gate of darkness inside a pocket warren with the wagon doomed to eventually become too heavy to pull, the sword is the gate. As it was before and was meant to be.

This post has been edited by iRFNA: 23 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

#36 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

After all, Dragnipur had never offered salvation. Iron forged to bind, a hundred thousand chains hammered into the blade, layers upon layers entwined, folded, wrapped like rope. Draconus, surrounded in the molten fires of Burn's heart, drawing forth chains of every metal that existed, drawing them out link by glowing link. Twisted ropes of metal on the anvil, and down came the hammer. The one hammer, the only tool that could forge such a weapon – and he remembered its vast weight, the scalding grip that lacerated his alien hand.
Even in her dreaming, Burn had been most displeased.
Chains upon chains. Chains to bind. Bind Darkness itself, transforming the ancient forest through which it had wandered, twisting that Blackwood into a wagon, into huge, tottering wheels, into a bed that formed a horizontal door – like the entrance to a barrow – above the portal. Blackwood, to hold and contain the soul of Kurald Galain.

'She sensed the sickness coming, sinking claws into her. Sensed . . .and chose to sleep. Less than two thousand years ago, she chose to sleep. She sought to escape the prison of her own flesh, in order to do battle with the one who was killing that flesh. She – oh gods above and below! She made of herself a weapon! Her entire spirit, all its power, into a single forging . . . a hammer, a hammer capable of breaking . . . breaking anything. And Burn then found a man to wield it . . . Caladan Brood.'

The timeline is not important, the timeline is not important....

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

View PostHetan, on 23 September 2010 - 05:43 AM, said:

After all, Dragnipur had never offered salvation. Iron forged to bind, a hundred thousand chains hammered into the blade, layers upon layers entwined, folded, wrapped like rope. Draconus, surrounded in the molten fires of Burn's heart, drawing forth chains of every metal that existed, drawing them out link by glowing link. Twisted ropes of metal on the anvil, and down came the hammer. The one hammer, the only tool that could forge such a weapon – and he remembered its vast weight, the scalding grip that lacerated his alien hand.
Chains upon chains. Chains to bind. Bind Darkness itself, transforming the ancient forest through which it had wandered, twisting that Blackwood into a wagon, into huge, tottering wheels, into a bed that formed a horizontal door – like the entrance to a barrow – above the portal. Blackwood, to hold and contain the soul of Kurald Galain.

'She sensed the sickness coming, sinking claws into her. Sensed . . .and chose to sleep. Less than two thousand years ago, she chose to sleep. She sought to escape the prison of her own flesh, in order to do battle with the one who was killing that flesh. She – oh gods above and below! She made of herself a weapon! Her entire spirit, all its power, into a single forging . . . a hammer, a hammer capable of breaking . . . breaking anything. And Burn then found a man to wield it . . . Caladan Brood.'

It doesn't have to be the same hammer. Or the same hammer could have been refined/retasked/reforged. After all it seems Dragnipur wasn't originally created to cart around Mommy D.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   Theotendo 

• Unfunny Fool of the Abyssmal Army
  • Interests:The humor of unfunny jokes.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

It probably was the same hammer.Draconus mentioned modifying his sword ("forged since the time of all darkness" - or some such) after the Crippled God had been brought down.She fashioned the hammer after he had been chained to her flesh.When Brood was guided to the hammer is an unknown.

I cherish the timeline deeply.
...I think I stepped in something...untoward...

#39 User is offline   KingTeholBeddict 

• A sword (look down)

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

View PostHetan, on 22 September 2010 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 22 September 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

Could someone pull off some Quote Fu about Kolanse being inaccesible from the sea?

Of course it's not inacessible from the sea - it's a continent.

"Oh they're not gong to the Wastelands, my Queen, they're gong to Kolanse. They're just passing through the Wastelands since they no longer have the the transports to get to Kolanse by sea. Nor have we the ships to accommodate them alas" - Tehol (DoD)

But what about the Perish Thrones of War, couldn't they have met up with the Malazans there?
Also, if Tavore knew that she had to get to Kolanse, why did she burn the transports?

Mind you, I'm for the theory that Tavore knew they had to get to Kolanse, but it just doesn't make sense...
"I'm having one of those things... A headache with pictures." An Idea? "Yeah, that's it!"

#40 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

View PostHetan, on 23 September 2010 - 05:43 AM, said:

the way I took it. Brood was the guy Burn sanctioned to carry the hammer. However Draconus, being an incredibly powerful being, could take it without giving Burn a damn but she was not pleased thus the hammer burning his hands as he worked.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users