• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson Book 1 of his new 10-volume series

#121 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostSombra, on 09 January 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I'm actually that guy who gets to the boring mushy bits and skips them, because for me they usually add nothing at all to the story, and are just there to attract/keep the female readers, or to tick the "romance" box on the "plot elements" checklist. It's even more obvious in film when it's tacked on and consumes far too much screen time, but the same principle holds. Yep, I'm that guy who snarls "Oh for crying out fucking loud, GET ON WITH IT!" when they're confessing their feelings, fart-arsing about when there are FAR MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO BE DONE (like escaping from the savage tribesmen, or disabling the bomb etc you get the picture). Frankly, IMHO 90% of romance in novels and film is a waste of time because it's so hamfisted. It's like a speed bump.

Fully agree. And I am not a fan of that either - better to have nothing than have the laughable idiotic shit that Hollywood and hollywood-minded writers throw at you. But if you do try, make it credible and make it work (or make it a spoof).

Sanderson, for all his strengths, just isn't very good at this. He can circumvent it in other books and it doesn't hinder me in appreciating Mistborn or War-breaker or Elantis or whatever else I've read of him (I've got I think 6 of his books on my shelves/ in boxes) but his ambition with these books seems to provide something massive and epic but centred on a few individuals and now it stares him in the face because he more or less has to.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#122 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 09 January 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Lack of subtlety? How can you read all that and come away with "lack of subtlety"? Are you even reading our posts anymore?

The problem with Sanderson is not his subtlety. Hamsun knows subtlety. You and that girl knew subtlety. Sanderson does not have anything at all.

This seems to me to be nothing more than a need you have of creating a straw man to argue against as it's easier than to actually respond to Tapper and I.

Morgoth. Essentially telling me my belief is WRONG...is not debating or arguing the point at all. You don't like my notion about the book and the traits it possesses. That's cool, and subjective. I see it wholly differently, and we are never going to agree about that. Did I say "lack of subtlety"? No, I said you were averse to it...since I saw Sanderson's portayal of Dalinar and Navani as subtle...thus I can only surmise from your statements that you either a. believe there is no subtlety in the book(I thought there was) or b. you believe that sanderson can't do subtlety or it was done poorly (I disagree)....either way I was simply saying that you seemed to be of the opinion that there wasn't any (in regards to the sexual tension) and I'm of the opposite opinion.

A personal attack claiming I am not reading the posts or presenting straw man arguments is fairly ludicrous. I responded to you directly....you don't like how or the what of my response? That's fine. But let's not derail the thread by adding personal attacks shall we?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#123 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostTapper, on 09 January 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure that you get what we're getting at. I think both Morghy and I are fine with no sex or flushed cheeks or feelings in the pit of the stomach on the pages, both Morghy and I said so. That isn't our complaint. I referred to other ways to deal with it, cross-referenced to other books and similar situations, each more interesting to me in the way they deal with it. At no point in the narrative did I want to club Dalinar on the head and tell him to go for the woman. At no point did I hope for their romance to come full bloom. At no point did it even remotely interest me. And the reason there is because the narrative is on the whole lacking the concept of credible, emotionally involved, passionate romance.

My own complaint is that in Sanderson's work as a standard there is no tension between characters that make romance believable. Instead, his people are committed to ideals (Kelsier), family (whatsherface who went to steal the jewel, the sister of the runaway bride in Warbreaker - notice also that she marries the God-King without any passion between them other than comradeship and being stuck in the same situation together), identity (the wind-sprite in WoK, best character in the book), guilt (Kaladin), honor (the assassin).

I mean, Tolkien is hardly a romantic, but his one scene where Eowyn asks Aragorn to return (to her) had tons more emotion and passion between man and woman than the whole of WoK has, even in his clunky prose.

When it comes to Dalinar, I honestly think that upon analysis of his character and the time period over which he has repressed his feelings (decades), when he looks at Navani it ought to be with misgiving for she confronts him with what he sees as a flaw in his character and ability to stick to the Code, and he seeks to repress that. That this changes, nice, good element of any story, except that it isn't really told. Look at Gaiman's American Gods. Shadow's love for his wife is very, very obvious - despite the fact that she dies giving a blowjob to his best friend and that this is the first bit we read of her, and that throughout the book, Shadow is nearly as devoid of emotion as Dalinar tries to be. Gaiman gives her, what? three spread-out pages of introduction and you start of with a negative, too - the circumstances of her death (of course, she surfaces later on).

I'm fine with you defending Sanderson and WoK but if you think we need a thicker slice of tension to notice it, then you and I differ. I really don't need everything spoken out, omission sometimes tells more: silence is a tool that the lets the reader/ viewer fill things in. But on that subject, too, Sanderson's prose is devoid of such silence. This isn't restricted to WoK. This is a multi-book trend.

He's simply NOT (THAT) GOOD at writing romance. Few writers are, for love (desire is something else) is a very complex emotion, but I do think we are entitled to point that out. Martin for example, lacks a certain bit of quality in this respect too, or Sansa would have been a more likeable character (like she is in the series, where you can forgive her for her blind teenage crushes).

Thanks for the proper response. Much obliged. Oh, I totally see what you are saying and I think we simply disagree on our perceptions of the book.

Agree to disagree? ^_^
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#124 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

There seemed enough tension to make the story between Dalinar and the king's mum believable for me...
Spoiler
. He couldn't deal with the tension, he was all about denying the battle in this instance... for me it really wasn't an issue at all...

This post has been edited by Paran: 10 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#125 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

Just finished.

Really enjoyed.

No idea where he's going to go from here.

Looking forward to the next one.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#126 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

Paean, wasn't your spoiler a result of something rather than a desired effect?
Or am I miss remembering stuff again?

#127 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 March 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

Paean, wasn't your spoiler a result of something rather than a desired effect?
Or am I miss remembering stuff again?

It was
Spoiler

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#128 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

we werent told no, afaik.
but i was struck by the notion that whilst it hurt him to forget the name, he didnt marry her for love

#129 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Is this book any good? If you liked it did you hate Wheel of Time and love Malazan? What is the world like? In spoilers detail what the world is like and what makes it cool? Giant Crabs sounds pretty stupid to be honest.

Is there any action and is it believable?

Is the book boring? If so what percentage is boring like Wheel of Time books 8-11?

I read the first chapter and the prose seemed very basic and read like a video-game. But that could be some of his really old writings as I hear this text was sitting around for many years and he re-wrote it.

#130 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Erm. Why don't you read the numerous reviews in this very thread?

#131 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostHarvester, on 09 April 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Erm. Why don't you read the numerous reviews in this very thread?

I have and none of them give me any idea what the world is like.

#132 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

the world is too unique to describe. you might as well read the book, because i doubt anyone could really tell you what roshar is like. i've read the thing three times and i tell you, i have no fucking idea what is going on, on roshar. i have speculations, with little to no hard facts.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 10 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#133 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 10 April 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

the world is too unique to describe. you might as well read the book, because i doubt anyone could really tell you what roshar is like. i've read the thing three times and i tell you, i have no fucking idea what is going on, on roshar. i have speculations, with little to no hard facts.

Alright. I believe you as I've read gazillions of reviews at Amazon and this whole thread but don't really have a picture of the world...which is what I am interested in. I love Malazan foremost for the world (though I love many many characters that inhabit it). I'll pick it up from the library tomorrow.

I love the cover-art for sure.

#134 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

you have the cheesy man pointing sword cover or cool modern mistbornesque cover?

#135 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostMacros, on 10 April 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

you have the cheesy man pointing sword cover or cool modern mistbornesque cover?

I'm guessing it's the epic one with the storm cloud and not the boring two color one that he likes.

#136 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostMacros, on 10 April 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

First of all, that's a Shard lance (not a sword), and that's a gorgeous Michael Whelan art piece, show a little respect!

:p

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

#137 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm talking about the hardcover art. The full art is even better that they posted over at TOR a few years ago.

#138 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

I don't care if it the pope's cover art, its cheesy as hell.
I much prefer the basic wispy smoke cover thing

#139 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostMacros, on 11 April 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Charming Macros.

#140 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 April 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 11 April 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Charming Macros.

it's kind of his thing.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users