• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson Book 1 of his new 10-volume series

#141 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

I read a few hundred pages and while not horrible, I just did not find it very engaging as the prose was not very descriptive. And because of that, I just don't see myself sticking with it for 1000 pages, let alone 10 books. There are just too many other books I'd rather read.

#142 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

I just finished listening to this audiobook and I have to say it was fucking awesome. It took about 2.5 weeks (over 42 hrs of audio, I think) but while working and every chore, errand, or down time I had, I was listening to this. I'm sure reading it was great, but this has to be one of the best audiobooks I've listened to thus far. Now I'm downloading the Mistborn series free from the library. Audiobooks are fucking greeeeaaaaaaaatt (tony the tiger style).
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#143 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I thought this book was absolutely amazing. And I'll add to that by saying I really did NOT like Warbreaker, nor Elantris, almost to the point of saying I hated those two. I didnt read the Mistborn series, and dont plan to. Only because Ive got a couple more books to read in Malazan, then starting The Black Company, then onto Ruthfuss perhaps.

I can't wait for the second book in this series. I started reading Sanderson because until I read the Malazan books, Wheel of Time was my favorite series. And when Sanderson took over I read Elantris and Warbreaker after Towers of Midnight. And even though I didnt like them I saw WoKs on the shelf and gave it a shot. Glad I did.

I'm at a pretty excited time in various series. The last of the WoT books should be out within the year. Plus Ive still got DoD and tCG from Malazan to finish, as well as Stoneweilder and OST.

But to get back to the main topic, Way of Kings, like I said, Amazing. I've been reading some of this thread, although it was too long to read it all. And Ive seen the varied reviews. I can't really see how those of you who didnt like the book, or even those of you who didnt LOVE the book, didn't do so. Especially sinse quite a few of you that didnt like it that much were also people who seemed to really love the first books in the WoT series, and GotM in the Malazan series. But to each his own. In particular someone, or maybe a few people, said they didnt like it as much because they couldnt get as interested in the main characters as they'd like. Then someone mentioned Kaladin specifically. I can't see how. I thought Kaladin's story was by far the best. I couldnt wait to see what happened, and where he went next, even though I thought it was predictable. But for some odd reason the predictability didnt bother me because the setting was so bizarre and original, in my opinion.

The scope of the world is far reaching and has great potential. I liked almost all the characters, but I have to admit the Shallan and Jasnah storyline and characters are ones Im not that fond of. Even though, as someone pointed out already in a spoiler tag from page one when naming the two best parts of the book,
Spoiler

And the battle scene at the end where
Spoiler
, is....amazing(I cant help to keep over using this word)

I'm very pleased with this book, but maybe because I was so disappointed by his other works that it added to this a bit. As it stands its just great potential. Tons of kinetic energy awaiting to let loose. Guess we'll have to see how well it progresses. I'm absolutely intrigued by some of the history he's laying down, and I cant wait to find out more about so many different things. But it will depend on what those things are I guess.

But no book is perfect so I will also comment on what I dont like so far. And to be honest its a major component to his system(?) if thats the right word. I dont like Shardblades. I dont like Shard Plate. Dont know why, really. Just not that into them.Also, I dont really like the Lashing system.
Spoiler

Did the whole Shardblade and Lashing not remind you too much of Star Wars? The Shardblades instead of Light Sabres. Certain Lashings doing pretty much the same thing that can be done with The Force.

Anyway, thats my two cents. I give the book a 9/10. And I cant wait for the second.
Spoiler

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#144 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

TBH I saw lashings as a variation on Mistborns allomancy, specifically iron, but I won't carry on with that line as you havent read the series.

#145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 April 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

TBH I saw lashings as a variation on Mistborns allomancy, specifically iron, but I won't carry on with that line as you havent read the series.

Oh they definitely are....but remember the Comsmere and the 13 shards right...The whole point is that the magic systems on the different planets will have similarities...that's (I think) intentional on Sanderson's part.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#146 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I know there's some character that appears in all his works (excepting WoT obviously) to link the whole lot together or somethoing

#147 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostMacros, on 30 April 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

I know there's some character that appears in all his works (excepting WoT obviously) to link the whole lot together or something

Yeah, there is that (his name is Hoid)...but no the whole thing is actually linked together because each of his original books take place on worlds in the same galaxy (called the Cosmere) and each of those planets are the "Shardworlds" each being a part of a shattered god named "Adonalsium"...so each of the worlds:

Sel (ELANTRIS)

Scadrial (MISTBORN)

Nalthis (WARBREAKER)

Roshar (WAY OF KINGS)

...are all shards (planets) of that broken god, and thus are they all somewhat "linked" in their respective magic systems, since all those magics come from the same source originally.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#148 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I don't think the planets themselves are shards, just that there are shards on those planets. Scadrial has two shards--Ruin and Preservation. I think the more shards on a planet, the more magic systems.

http://coppermind.17...wiki/Adonalsium

This wiki could keep one busy for a little while.

#149 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 30 April 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

I don't think the planets themselves are shards, just that there are shards on those planets. Scadrial has two shards--Ruin and Preservation. I think the more shards on a planet, the more magic systems.

http://coppermind.17...wiki/Adonalsium

This wiki could keep one busy for a little while.

Right, I stand corrected. Thanks EodO.

#150 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Aren't the shards somewhat mobile? Does gravity affect them - as in once on a planet, they cannot climb back out of the gravity well?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#151 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 01 May 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

Aren't the shards somewhat mobile? Does gravity affect them - as in once on a planet, they cannot climb back out of the gravity well?

An interesting thought. I wonder perhaps they might be able to.

#152 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 May 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 01 May 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

An interesting thought. I wonder perhaps they might be able to.

perhaps spoilerish:

Spoiler

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#153 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Just a quick post to say that Sanderson has announced he has begun writing again on "Stormlight 2" A quote from his blog: "However, it is time to pick up that story again and make this series all of the awesome things I've dreamed of it being for some twenty years."

Here is a link to the blog: http://www.brandonsa...ook-to-work-on.

This post has been edited by Eddie Dean: 01 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#154 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

Just wanted to say that on Sanderson's mailing list, he gives a very rough estimate saying that Stormlight 2 should be out by Christmas 2013. Little longer than I hoped for, but its still good to hear.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#155 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Can't wait for it.

#156 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

The Stormlight Archive Book 2: Words of Radiance

The world of Roshar is under threat. A mysterious assassin is slaughtering the rulers of the nations. In the east, the armies of Alethkar and the Parshendi are clashing on the Shattered Plains. Signs are appearing that the evil voidbringers are returning to bring about the Desolation, the destruction of the civilised world. But there are also signs that the Knights Radiant, humans empowered with amazing abilities, are returning to stop them.

Words of Radiance is the much-delayed second volume in The Stormlight Archive series (expected to last for ten volumes) and the sequel to 2010's The Way of Kings. Brandon Sanderson's work on this novel was delayed by his commitment to completing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time sequence. With that accomplished, Sanderson is now free to focus on his own mega-epic and bring out future novels in a more timely fashion; the third Stormlight novel (working title: Unhallowed Stones) will likely follow before the end of 2015.

Like much of Sanderson's work, the novel balances traditional epic fantasy tropes with highly original and interesting worldbuilding, logically well-thought-out magic systems and hints of a much grander plan lying behind everything. Whilst only the second book of The Stormlight Archive, this is also the eighth novel set in his Cosmere universe (following on from Elantris, Warbreaker, the four Mistborn novels and of course The Way of Kings). Whilst previously the Cosmere links were fairly subtle and mostly of interest for Easter Egg hunters, in this series they are much more overt. Hoid (aka Wit), who only appeared in minor cameos in the other books, plays a much more important role here.

Words of Radiance is also big. At over 400,000 words, it's the longest epic fantasy novel published since George R.R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons, approaching 1,100 pages in hardcover (so yes, the UK paperback will be split for publication next year). It's an immense novel, not because an enormous amount happens but because Sanderson lets events unfold at a fairly relaxed pace. We only have four major POV characters (Shallan, Kaladin, Dalinar and Adolin) and a whole host of minor ones in remote parts of the world that we flit between. The minor POV chapters are highlights, with Sanderson crafting each one almost into a separate short story set in the midst of a grander tale. The story about the trader who has to make a bargain with a bunch of people who live on the back of a vast creature dwelling in the sea is effective, as is the story of a young burglar who turns out to be more than she appears. Whilst these stories are enjoyable, they also feel a little random sprinkled throughout the longer book, especially since their consequences may not be explored in full until the second half of the series.

The main narrative, unfortunately, is much slower. After we spent most of the first, 1,000-page volume on the Shattered Plains we then proceed to spend most of the second, even longer, volume in the same place. The first book had the advantage of introducing the location and its weird alien landscape, but by at least a quarter of the way through Words of Radiance the setting has lost a lot of is lustre. Fortunately, the end of the novel suggests that we have left behind the Plains and won't see them again, which is well past time. The interludes show that Roshar is a fascinating, well-designed and evocative location and getting to see more of it in future volumes rather than just one broken landscape will be a relief.

Whilst the story is slow to unfold, it does at least move things forward significantly. More Knights Radiant appear, we learn more about the world, its history and its cultures and there are some surprising and shocking deaths (although at least one of them turns out to be a disappointing fake-out). Readers of the other Cosmere books will also have a head start in working out what's going on, which is good for them but possibly a little unfair for more casual readers. Up until now - even arguably including The Way of Kings - the Cosmere stuff has been optional background only, with it not being necessary to read every book in the setting to enjoy the next one. Words of Radiance is the first time I felt like being familiar with the Cosmere was necessary to fully appreciate what the author was doing. This is made clear in no uncertain terms when the novel ends with an event which will won't make much sense unless you've also read Warbreaker.

On the character side of things, Sanderson is definitely improving novel to novel. Shallan, the least-developed character in the previous novel, takes centre stage here and becomes a much more rounded and interesting figure. Her forced humour and defensiveness, which was previously just annoying, is fleshed out a lot here as we get to know the reasons for it. Given it's not something he's known for, Sanderson successfully turns Shallan's story into an effective and unexpected tragedy. Adolin also graduates from 'heroic buffoon' to a slightly darker, more complex character (though not until quite late in the novel). Kaladin's unrelenting emoness continues unabated (despite his transformation into a fantasy version of Neo from The Matrix), but he's a much less dominant character this time around and he does lighten up as the book goes on, which is a relief. More problematic is the dialogue, which often feels clunky and sometimes incongruous. Roshar isn't Earth or even particularly reminiscent of any of our own time periods, but the use of modern language and terms ('awesomeness', 'upgrade') may be distracting for some readers.

Sanderson's signature magic systems are present and correct, though it's possible he's gone overboard in the Stormlight books. There are something like thirty magic systems on Roshar (even if they are variants on similar themes) and the relationships between Surgebinding, Lashing, Truthspeaking, the Old Magic and so forth are not very clearly defined. It also doesn't help that some of the magic systems of the other Cosmere worlds are also alluded to (one character is even a Misting from Scadrial, the setting of the Mistborn novels, though he barely appears). Whilst previously Sanderson has outline his magic systems with clarity, here it feels like he's been taking some lessons from Steven Erikson and just decided to drop the reader into a confusing maze which they have to work their own way out of.

Words of Radiance (****) is a good book beset by minor problems: dialogue issues, a languid pace and often irrelevant-feeling (though often individually fun) side-chapters. At the same time it features much-improved characters, superior worldbuilding and some impressive action set-pieces. I don't think Stormlight is ever going to be as era-defining an epic fantasy as The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire and The Malazan Book of the Fallen are, with Sanderson sometimes definitely 'trying too hard' to match those stories for scale and scope and missing their strengths with character and plot, but it's still a readable and fun series. One thing I think Sanderson definitely needs to do with future volumes is make them smaller, trim the fat and give a more focused story each time. The novel is available now in the UK and USA.

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#157 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

This does look like it is going to be awesome. I have read The Ship of Thesus 5 times now and I am in need of a new project. I find it hard to relate certain books, like Warbreaker, I don't know if I have read that. I think I may have done but it doesn't spring to mind. Thanks for the review.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#158 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Too bad the Cosmere doesn't remain on the easter eggs for fans level. I couldn't get into Warbreaker and I'm pretty sure there are / will be more Cosmere books I won't care about.

Well, at least I read the prologue of Warbreaker (the best part, before those Aes Sedai clone girls appeared) so I got the Nightblood reference. :p

This post has been edited by Gabriele: 25 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

#159 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

RIDE DEAD/DED-THREAD.... RIIIIIIIISE...

I wasn't going to read this book until the decalogy was nearly finished.

I dl'd the earbook it when i grabbed the MISTBORN trilo, but REALLY wasn't going to read this book given how tepid i felt about the MISTBORN.

But, there i was, a hour to kill, and the two other earbooks i had handy sucked.... so.... i started WAY OF KINGS.

And got sucked right in. I'm hooked. It was awesome. Damn you Sanderson, my vow to avoid multi-volume fantasy epics until they're done is fucked yet again. I have WORDS ready to go.

Seriously, WOK is Sanderson hitting his stride as storyteller and author. It's a great fantasy world, well realized with an interesting history. The characters - Calidan, Dalimar, Shallan, even Zeth - are archetypical, but the world and situations he puts them in are sufficiently novel and striking that i don't care.

And his 'magic system' was some of the most fun different stuff i've read in a while. Not the Shards so much, but stormlight, the lashings, soulbinding.... it's just nice to read a book and not feel like i've seen most of it before. Sanderson accomplishes this repeatedly through the book. The whole Light-eyes / Dark-eyes thing was perhaps a little too close to Mistborn's Nobles / Skaa , but less annoying... credit to Brandon for making it less of a 'just the way things are' and more of an actual society.

And the twists at the end... SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

i saw the revelation about Dalimar's mysterious voice coming, but giving up his shardblade for Bridge 4... Shallan's discovery about the Parshmen... those were awesome.

And Bridge 4... Calidan has his whiny moments, at times too much so, but overall his storyline with Syl and the bridge crew and how it evolves to that finale is just some of the best fantasy i've read in a while.

And Zeth was just genuinely a treat to read... the novelty of his powers added a really nice touch to an otherwise unoriginal, albeit really well written, honor-bound conflicted assassin plotline. Tho i admit that every time someone new picked up the stupid rock and Zeth was obliged to obey them, i groaned a bit. That was ok tho because his action scenes.. i don't think i've ever read another author use gravity as a weapon that way.

Liked the xplanation of the chapter-opener quotes.. the last scene at the hospital was suitably creepy and clever.

Great great book.

Dammit.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#160 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Awesome! Now that you have started these as well we can discuss. I already had some discussion with BK when I was reading back in March-April I think.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users