Malazan Empire: Anyone else REALLY disappointed by the Whirlwind Rebellion? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone else REALLY disappointed by the Whirlwind Rebellion?

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

That in itself is a shame.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

Memories of Ice, Tor trade paperback, p.765 said:

Quick Ben glanced into the hallway. 'They left everything, you know.'

'What? Who?'

'Rake. The Tiste Andii. Left their possessions. Everything.'

'Why would they do that? They are to settle in Black Coral, aren't they? The city's been stripped clean...'

Quick Ben shrugged. 'Tiste Andii,' he said, in a tone that silently added: we'll never know.

Memories of Ice, Tor trade paperback, p.766 said:

The Grey Swords had established a temporary encampment fifty paces east of the massive, glittering barrow that had already acquired the name of Itkovian's Gift. Ragged bands of Tenescowri, emaciated and sickly, had emerged from Black Coral, and from the woodlands, and were all congregating around the camp. Word of Anaster's...rebirth had spread, and with it the promise of salvation.

We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#23 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Coming back to the main topic:

I was disappointed with HoC finale too. It's exactly as You said - the tension built up by events from DeadHouse Gates was huge. Then, 14th was just marching. And marching. And marching. The novel is coming to the end, and yes... Tavore and her troops are already there. The big revenge on those ugly bastards who crucified Coltaine is coming. Ha-ha-ha! Beware dogslayers! Oh, great, they are having a duel! Ha! Bye-bye Felisin, and now for the most entertaining finale in... wait, what?! They're already dead, because... ghosts killed them? 2 novels of hype, and 14th didn't even draw their weapons? Jesus! This was really frustrating.

This post has been edited by Siergiej: 12 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

That entire plot-line of HoC (and DG) is all about the one-on-one relationship of Felisin and Tavore. Armies fighting juts gets in the way of an intensely more personal resolution.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

HoC ending was as usual, not what I expected at all....and by that token, as good as any other.

The events and happenings that can't be predicted, and the convergences that can, are one of the facets of these novels that keep me interested. I too was looking forward to a solid bit of Choppy-Choppy as the 14th tried to take the hill, dammit! I wanted some filth-ridden revenge for the Chain of Dogs...But I wasn't disappointed with the way things turned out in terms of the events or the way the book was written. I was gutted the 14th didn't get involved, but it seemed appropriately disappointing that they didn't given the preceding events...

#26 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Whether satisfaction or emptiness one feels at the finale, it's testament to the sheer skill of SE's writing.
Were all so invested and intertwined with this story, this world, these people, we feel. It matters.
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#27 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

View PostWeave, on 13 August 2010 - 04:13 PM, said:

Whether satisfaction or emptiness one feels at the finale, it's testament to the sheer skill of SE's writing.
Were all so invested and intertwined with this story, this world, these people, we feel. It matters.

Weave, my 2 cents to this issue: You will have to read Bonehunters to really understand what the Apocalypse was actually about. Pity about some of the spoilers here.

The ghosts that rose were not just the Bridgeburners, but all the ghosts of empires and armies past buried in Raraku, i.e. ancient Raraku rises to cleanse itself of the trespasser that is the Apocalypse. we know in which warren it was anchored and whose fingers are manipulating this. Felisin as the Apocalypse, knowing the players in the background ? The perfect choice, knowing Felisin.

HoC is one of the volumes that benefits most from a careful reread, because you expect a *moneyshot* finale and get...something else that may be unexpected, but leads very logically to the major picture/theme of the entire cycle. But, as is typical with SE, you will have to read on to really understand why HoC ends the way it does.

To be honest, I shared your feeling the first couple of reads, then certain things started to fall into place. As always with SE, pay close attention to what may seem secondary plot lines...

#28 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thank you, Ansible.

View PostSpiridon_Deannis, on 13 August 2010 - 04:55 PM, said:

HoC is one of the volumes that benefits most from a careful reread, because you expect a *moneyshot* finale and get...something else that may be unexpected, but leads very logically to the major picture/theme of the entire cycle. But, as is typical with SE, you will have to read on to really understand why HoC ends the way it does.

Having just reread House of Chains, I definitely agree. This book may not have the same epicness events-wise as other books - but you learn so much about the world from it. So many details, revelations and truths about things you thought you already knew. Much more of the book is exposition explaining how things can happen. For example, Crokus and Apsalar's interactions with Drift Avalii and Cotillion I found particularly revealing - although I can never remember exactly of what.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#29 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 13 August 2010 - 05:10 PM, said:

Thank you, Ansible.

View PostSpiridon_Deannis, on 13 August 2010 - 04:55 PM, said:

Having just reread House of Chains, I definitely agree. This book may not have the same epicness events-wise as other books - but you learn so much about the world from it. So many details, revelations and truths about things you thought you already knew. Much more of the book is exposition explaining how things can happen. For example, Crokus and Apsalar's interactions with Drift Avalii and Cotillion I found particularly revealing - although I can never remember exactly of what.

Add to that Karsa Orlong and the Seven Gods - and who they actually are - and what concretely the Whirlwind turns out to be - think Warren ! - you start getting the notion that the Apocalypse is just one battle front of of the same war, which gets fleshed out in detail in the following 3 volumes. Really a worthwhile must-case of RAFO to reappreciate HoC having a clearer view of the bigger picture.

#30 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

That's obviously a massive part of it. HoC is part way through a series, I Basically go to the end and got this message:

Posted Image

All that work for no actual reward, just the promise of more work.
But the ultimate salvation will be that much more of a success.
One hopes!
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

What work?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#32 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

Jumping on turtles, munching shrooms, and diving through fire pylons.

You know, like Karsa's journey.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#33 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

LoL should point out I LOVE LOVE LOVE my work.
(I co-ordinate a team who support young adults with learning disabilities)

#34 User is offline   Coltaine's Floozy 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

On the surface, the ending might seem a bit disappointing, however, when I think about it, there is poetic justice in the fact that it wasn't the 14th that took revenge for the Chain of Dogs but the actual soldiers who were slaughtered during the Chain of Dogs - they themselves took revenge (for example, all three Wickan tribes, including Coltaine's Crow Clan were there as ghosts - their standard was flying in the dogslayers' trenches in the morning). I mean, if you got butchered by some trecherous bastards, wouldn't you want to come back and repay them in kind? That is exactly what happened. As to Tavore and Feliesin - that was kind of brief and a let down, but then again their final scene actually made me feel sorry for the youngest Paran girl (something I had not felt for her since her introduction - largely because her character was too abrasive before). One thing remains though. A lot has been made, since DG, regarding Tavore's inexperience. The one hope with the Apocalypse was that it would (should) prove her mettle and show her for being either hot or cold iron. As far as I'm concerned, none of that has come to pass yet. Tavore is still untried, despite the fact that she appears to be heading toward 'cold' iron. This somewhat abrupt 'ending' to the Whirlwind has robbed Tavore of prooving herself as a strong Adjunct.

#35 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:20 AM

View PostColtaine, on 15 August 2010 - 10:33 PM, said:

On the surface, the ending might seem a bit disappointing, however, when I think about it, there is poetic justice in the fact that it wasn't the 14th that took revenge for the Chain of Dogs but the actual soldiers who were slaughtered during the Chain of Dogs - they themselves took revenge (for example, all three Wickan tribes, including Coltaine's Crow Clan were there as ghosts - their standard was flying in the dogslayers' trenches in the morning). I mean, if you got butchered by some trecherous bastards, wouldn't you want to come back and repay them in kind? That is exactly what happened. As to Tavore and Feliesin - that was kind of brief and a let down, but then again their final scene actually made me feel sorry for the youngest Paran girl (something I had not felt for her since her introduction - largely because her character was too abrasive before). One thing remains though. A lot has been made, since DG, regarding Tavore's inexperience. The one hope with the Apocalypse was that it would (should) prove her mettle and show her for being either hot or cold iron. As far as I'm concerned, none of that has come to pass yet. Tavore is still untried, despite the fact that she appears to be heading toward 'cold' iron. This somewhat abrupt 'ending' to the Whirlwind has robbed Tavore of prooving herself as a strong Adjunct.

Your last observation will become something of a recurring theme for the 14th, which will be known as...
RAFO.
The man knows what he does...

#36 User is offline   Smoked Out Knuckle Sammy 

• Nihilism Activist

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

View PostD, on 10 August 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

It's funny that the newer-powers-defeating-old-stuff argument was brought up here as this is the one very clear case that I find is the very opposite. The old Sha'ik kept her high-mages in line and sent her armies scouring across the sub-continent. The new Sha'ik couldn't control her bickering staff and pulled the entire army back to Raraku, followed by having her best general make a *defensive* strategy in Raraku when he'd just conquered the entire sub-continent minus Aren with brutal efficiency. New Sha'ik wasted her mages, wasted Korbolo Dom and wound up getting her and her goddess killed without the Malazans lifting a finger. Old Sha'ik may not have had it in her to defeat Tavore and the 14th, but she would've done a hell of a better job trying.

I dunno, D'rek. Elder Sha'ik's legacy doesn't hold up so well. This from HoC: "Korbolo Dom and Coltaine fought nine major engagements-nine battles-on the Chain of Dogs. Of These, Korbolo was clear victor in one, and one only. At the Fall. Outside the walls of Aren. And for that he needed Kamist Reloe, and the power of Mael, as channelled through the Jhistal priest, Mallick Rel." Neither was Kamist Reloe kicking ass in the early part of the Chain, when he was on his own. Further, Shaik's decisions played no part in the killing of the Goddess - that was treachery. The entire group of Sha'ik's mages and generals seemed to be so inherently flawed and unreliable that the act of allying with them in the first place seems to be the biggest blunder.

Sha'ik 2.0 withdrew to Raraku because the seige of Aren would have taken forever, especially with the imminent arrival of Tavore and Nok. The Army of the Apocolypse was going to be in a defensive position regardless - far better to be looking down on the exhausted 14th from a fully-supplied Raraku than looking up at the walls of Aren from a relatively vulnerable position.

Finally, It's not really clear what role the mortal beings embodied by Sha'ik I and II actually played in the entire drama. It seems like the Goddess made the calls most of the time, and she was insane in the membrane.

This post has been edited by Smoked Out Knuckle Sammy: 06 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

I love the smell of nepenthe in the morning. Smells like...I forget.

#37 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

I wonder if I'm the only one that kind of wanted the Whirlwind Rebellion to succeed.
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#38 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 04 October 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

I wonder if I'm the only one that kind of wanted the Whirlwind Rebellion to succeed.

I didnt.
All the ignorants that would get to power.
Korbolo.
The raping mage and the other mage.
Felisin.(not actually ignorant, but would you like her to rule over you?)
All the bandits within the ranks of rebellion.
All the undisciplined warriors that would turn to bandits.
All the guys in the cities would fight for right to rule.
All the spilled blood.

This post has been edited by Charlie Nom: 04 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#39 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

As Rake remarks in MoI, Malazan rule is primarily constructive and positive in nature. Malazan rule ensures safety from bandits, stable government and tax structures. This encourages trade and increases prosperity.

In fact in both DG and HoC it is specified several times that pre-malazan Seven Cities was a mess of warring cities and tribes.

The Whilrwind rebellion would have returned the sub-continent to that state. Thus its victory was never desirable.

#40 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostAndorion, on 04 October 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

As Rake remarks in MoI, Malazan rule is primarily constructive and positive in nature. Malazan rule ensures safety from bandits, stable government and tax structures. This encourages trade and increases prosperity.

In fact in both DG and HoC it is specified several times that pre-malazan Seven Cities was a mess of warring cities and tribes.

The Whilrwind rebellion would have returned the sub-continent to that state. Thus its victory was never desirable.

If that's the case then why did Rake spend so much time warring against the Malazans?
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users