Malazan Empire: From Steven Erikson - with gratitude to you all. - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

From Steven Erikson - with gratitude to you all.

#61 User is offline   Cartographer 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, writing, photography to name a few

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:46 AM

A lot has been good things have been said already, all of which I agree with, so I'll try not to drag on too much.

Mr. Erikson, your series has been the deepest, most moving, and most inspiring series I have ever read (and probably ever will read for quite some time). I progressed to Malazan Book Of The Fallen two years ago shortly after reading Martin's books, and quite frankly, ever since, I have failed to find a book or series that has captivated me and inspired me like yours does. Nothing I've read touches on the issues, and the simple, basic, (and complex) human emotions and the themes that the MBOF has done.

So, as an aspiring author, I cannot thank you enough for everything you have put into this series. And I know your a modest man, but if anything its you, as an author and a person, who has been the most inspiring of all.

And now, I sit back and await the last brush stroke of this great work of art.

Thank You so much!
"I have displayed numerous talents on this journey, each one appropriate to the situation at the time. Have you forgotten the coconuts?" - Cartographer, Toll the Hounds

#62 User is offline   Jonny 

• Recruit

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

MBOTF is without a doubt my favourite series of books, ever, and I wouldn't be suprised if it stays that way for the rest of my life.

Although I will always have a soft spot for David Gemmell - A relaxing 300-400 page read, that I usually knock out in an afternoon, after the epic 1000 of Erikson.

As someone else said, thank you for creating a series of books that I can get excited about even when I'm not reading it, I've lost count of the times I lose quarter of an hour daydreaming about some aspect of the story.

Literally can't wait for tCG, thank god(and ICE!) for Stonewielder in the meantime.

Thanks for all the hard work Steve & Ian, I know all of us readers really appreciate it :(
"As for the game, I surrender consumed by hopelessness. Kruppe, I now believe, will never play his card, thus leaving us trapped in the unlikely world of his recollections and reminiscences, potentially for ever."

#63 User is offline   Treefork 

• Recruit

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:31 AM

View PostHetan, on 30 July 2010 - 03:57 PM, said:

So, I have already begun my wait. To see what you think. What you feel. To see all that you take from these books, and to see what you will make of them. Forgive me if I stay in the shadows. But this is now yours, not mine. And that is as it should be.

With gratitude
Steven Erikson

This series (which I discovered by chance perusing shelves one day) has surpassed every story I have ever read, by every acclaimed author I have ever read. The thought of it ending while it will bring closure to an amazing tale, also comes with a profound sense of loss. Although I have a great need to know how it ends, on the other hand, I don't want it to end. Thank you for your story, it has consumed many hours of my life, that I would gladly give again.

Joe

#64 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Thank you Steve
It's been an incredible ride..

#65 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the amazing series, and allowing us be a part of it.

#66 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

Forgive me if I indulge in a bit of good, old-fashioned, English understatement and simply say:

Ta very much. It's been fun.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#67 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

It's definitely been emotional. I have enjoyed every step of the way. I look forward to the encyclopaedia!! Thank you. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#68 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:45 AM

I tell everyone about it often.
I dream about Malazan stories across all mediums.
I can't wait for the encyclopedia.

And I value anyone who's goal in life is to never give up on the work they love.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#69 User is offline   offtwrong 

• Recruit

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

Your work should be registered as a conciousness altering media. Thank you.

#70 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

I'm really at loss for words, really.

The only thing I can say now is thank you very much, just thank you.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#71 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

There are no books that have inspired me as much as The Malazan Book of the Fallen has, both when it comes to my art, and my writing. And even though I've cursed your name many a time for making me cry like a little girl, I would also like to thank you...for everything.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#72 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

I am dreading this ending. But what keeps me going is the thought of you continuing to write within this universe in your scheduled books.

Thanks for writing the best books I've ever read. Your talent is insane.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#73 User is offline   Cude 

• Recruit

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Ive been reading fantasy for 25 years and thought I had seen it all. Then the Malazans arrived.

Best thing Ive ever read. By a long way. Reread them so many times Ive lost count and in some amazing way they can actually be better second , third , etc , time round.

Its all in the details , and the way they are drip fed to us over the course of various books to form part of the bigger picture that is the world and its inhabitants that you and Cam have invented.

I want to thank you for allowing me to laugh with you and the Holy Trinity of Kruppe , Pust and Tehol.
I want to thank you for the emotional moments and the tears I have shed. Duikers speech at the end of MOI still gets me just thinking about it.
I want to thank you for the music , that boy Fiddler can play.
I want to thank you for the amazing WTF moments.
Spoiler

I want to thank you for the hurt you caused me by killing off characters that I loved.
Spoiler

I want to thank you for the sheer wonder you have filled me with. Its like finding a box , inside a box , inside a box , inside a .... There are always more layers to be peeled back.
I want to thank you for ............ so many things , but most of all , in years to come , I will be able to say ..."I was there" , " I saw it happen" , "I bore witness"

And for your follow up , it surely has to be The Malazan Book of the Feline ..... Kitteh for the Win

#74 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Anyone else trying to ignore this thread and pretend the series will go on forever? I've still got two books to go, and damn, there were moments where I had had enough of it all, but the idea that all of the MBotF has been written, that its content is finite, is a sad feeling.

This post has been edited by Ozymandiac: 14 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#75 User is offline   kalaamstheman 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'd like to thank you, sir. I read popular sci-fi...Dune, LOTR, etc...but not many. I tell every person that asks me about a book to read to start this series. I read Gardens in 3 days while teaching in Japan for a year and was hooked. Congratulations on such a woven tale. I heard way back that you were actually creating a screenplay when you wrote the first book, no? Considering today's technology, what an amazing movie(s) you could create from this series. I have so enjoyed the ride and have read all books (except for Dust) multiple times. I eagerly await to see that Ototaral Dragon spread its wings...thanks again!

:( and shame on you for offing Kalaam!

This post has been edited by kalaamstheman: 15 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

#76 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Spoiler Alert there, homie.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#77 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

Thank you Mr. Erikson for all of your hard work, effort, thoughtfulness and most of all your supremely evident passion and skill.

I eagerly await the final book, and wish you all the best in any and all future endeavors, whether literary or not.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#78 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

I wonder what could happen if the closing words of the whole series will be about the Crippled God going:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#79 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Dear Steve

Thank you for writing a series of books that has not just been a damn good read. Your work has truly given me so many good experiences no other author has ever done before. I am looking forward to reading The Crippled God but at the same time I am also dreading the day I turn the final page and sees the inevitable 'And here ends the tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen'. But I am still gonna read it anyway. :-)

/Tremolo
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#80 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

Wow

Mr Erikson, people here have written a lot of great praises. I won't sit here and try to compare myselft to all of them.

I have started reading your series just as I was maturing as a fantasy reader, gettting tired of the stereotypes and cliches. Gardens challenged me, it was written almost like a history textbook, but I was intrigued. I've read Deadhouse gates and I was very interested. After MoI I literally went out and bought every Malaz book out at the time, because I couldn't wait 2 weeks untill there'd be a copy of HoC available form the library.

I have been engrossed in the world of Malaz for 3 years now. In many ways, these have been the shaping years of my life, years of self-discovery and understanding. The journey I have taken with you and Cam has helped me along the journey of my own life. Not counting the fact that thanks to your works I have found this place, which in turn has expanded my horizons to a great extent.

I won't wax lyrical about MBotF being the greatest thing that ever happened in my life. But I do feel it has done a lot for me, and I am grateful to you for the impact you have had on my life. I will also eagerly await your next works, regardless of their genre and setting, because I feel that your voice is very unique and it is something I'd love to se more of in literature.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users