• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cotillion's knowledge

#1 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

I've just started my first read of Bonehunters. I am still at the very beginning and already enjoying the story, but can't get something off my mind. The scene when Cotillion visits 3 chained Eleint in the realm of Shadow is totally intriguing, it made me say that it's good old Malazan Book of the Fallen, but one thing is bothering me. How come Cotillion knows all that stuff about the nature of warrens, Starvald Demelain, K'rul's plans, conflict between Eleint and soletaken with Tiam's blood, Scabandari Bloodeye? Did I miss something important in preceeding novels, or am I going to find out later why fairly new ascendant knows all that stuff that seemed reserved for elder gods & co.? Or is it just the fact, that he is Rope, and automatically knows da shit!

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Well, we don't know toooo much about Dancer, but Kellanved was a hugely knowledgeable and did tons of research, as well as seeking knowledge from other magic scholars like Oleg. Then late in their rule Dancer and Kel left the empire completely to pursure their research even further. They definitely had a lot figured out before they even ascended, and probably even more so since they've become gods.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

It's all explained in "The Handbook for New Gods and Ascendants" Didn't everybody get their copy?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#4 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

It's all explained in "The Handbook for New Gods and Ascendants" Didn't everybody get their copy?

Damn, my Deragoth must've eaten it!

Well, we don't know toooo much about Dancer, but Kellanved was a hugely knowledgeable and did tons of research, as well as seeking knowledge from other magic scholars like Oleg. Then late in their rule Dancer and Kel left the empire completely to pursure their research even further.

Sure, but still, he knows things that seemed to be far beyond grasp of a mortal. And he ascended rather lately. Even among Edur, knowledge about fate of Scabandari is close to none. As far as I remember, only Sengar family and Hannan Mosag know that Father Shadow got his ass handed to Kilmandaros. These 3 chained Eleint are also surprised that Cotillion knows the name of Scabandari, however they seem amused when he implies that they killed Father Shadow.

Other thing that makes me wonder, is why Anomander Rake didn't kill Shadowthrone and Cotillion. When someone gets close to the Throne of Shadows, Anomandaris usually turns on his Awesome Ass Kicking Mode in which he is capable of chaining three pureblood Eleint. Then he goes straight to a bar with his friend Caladan Brood and orders a bottle of ale. Maybe I am overrating Rake, but if he wanted to stop Kellanved and Dancer from ascending, I strongly doubt that he would even have to draw his sword. After all, they weren't much more than some dalhonese despot and his assasin friend. He could just scare them shitless in his soletaken form, and that would be enough. And yet, he let them get the Throne of Shadows. Intriguing. In that case, however, I think I will just have to read on to find out.

This post has been edited by Hetan: 25 July 2010 - 04:55 PM
Reason for edit: Unwise choice of word - it is removed

#5 User is offline   Throne of War 

• Renegade
  • Life in every breath.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

Don't forget, while living in the Deadhouse on Malaz Island they started toying with the Azath.Presumabley they traveled the "tiles" during they're long absence from the Empire before the NIght of Knives. This in itself is fair enough explanation as to their knowledge.

#6 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Throne of War, on 24 July 2010 - 03:40 PM, said:

Don't forget, while living in the Deadhouse on Malaz Island they started toying with the Azath.Presumabley they traveled the "tiles" during they're long absence from the Empire before the NIght of Knives. This in itself is fair enough explanation as to their knowledge.

Beat me too it there. But I'd say that them exploring the Azath pretty much explains everything. Well ok perhaps not everything, but it's defently enough to explain how they know what they know.
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#7 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Firstly -> They are gods and can also talk to other gods, e.g. Edgewalker (probably an Elder God) or Hood.

Secondly -> They have been ... wherever they have been.

Thirdly -> They have their dirty fingers in every affair and plan.. you'll find out soon enough.

This post has been edited by Harvester: 24 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

#8 User is offline   SilenceYourTongueAndWitness 

• Recruit

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

the edur dont know much about scandabari because they havent had people to talk to about it, Shadowthrone and Cotillion have been in direct contact with elder gods and ascendants from that time :), just sayin
"Think you got a spine, Corporal?"
"Spine? I'm a f-f-f-fucking tree, and you ain't the wind to b-b-b-blow me down. " (Master Sgt Pores to Corporal Tarr)

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

On topic though, besides the Azath I imagine they also had access to the best library in the world, even before ascension. It's just a guess, but they probably have rare texts from the likes of Gothos or whomever. I know the mages in Darujhistan seem to have plenty of access to ancient texts, but I'd imagine Kellanved, Dancer, and Tayschrenn were swimming in all available ancient knowledge.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Siergiej, on 24 July 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

Other thing that makes me wonder, is why Anomander Rake didn't kill Shadowthrone and Cotillion. When someone gets close to the Throne of Shadows, Anomandaris usually turns on his Awesome Ass Kicking Mode in which he is capable of chaining three pureblood Eleint. Then he goes straight to a bar with his friend Caladan Brood and orders a bottle of ale. Maybe I am overrating Rake, but if he wanted to stop Kellanved and Dancer from ascending, I strongly doubt that he would even have to draw his sword. After all, they weren't much more than some dalhonese despot and his assasin friend. He could just scare them shitless in his soletaken form, and that would be enough. And yet, he let them get the Throne of Shadows. Intriguing. In that case, however, I think I will just have to read on to find out.

Anomander Rake guarded the Throne of Shadow and prevented people from sitting on it. However ST and Cotillion became ruler of Shadow by entering the warren through the Deadhouse. There was little he could have done.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#11 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Okay, so he couldn't stop them from grabing the Throne. But if he didn't want them to rule the realm of Shadow really badly, he would probably just pay them a little visit and kick their asses pretty hard. The fact that someone has achieved status of god doesn't seem to be any obstacle for Rake. After all, he killed an elder god at least once.

#12 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Siergiej, on 25 July 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

Okay, so he couldn't stop them from grabing the Throne. But if he didn't want them to rule the realm of Shadow really badly, he would probably just pay them a little visit and kick their asses pretty hard. The fact that someone has achieved status of god doesn't seem to be any obstacle for Rake. After all, he killed an elder god at least once.

Firstly Anomander didn't guard the Throne of Shadow - He left Andarist there on Drift Avali to do that.
Secondly - Anomander Rake has nothing to with the ascension of Kellanved and Dancer - they did that all on their own.
Thirdly - it wasn't the Throne of Emurlahn that Shadowthrone sat on - it was the Throne of Meanas, another aspect of Shadow.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#13 User is offline   Captain Awesome 

• Corporal
  • I consider myself a unique blend of weekend warrior and dork, a living contradiction

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Didn't they still have the protection from the T'lan Imass from controlling the whichever chair? I don't think even AR would feel like messing with them if this is the case.

#14 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

As Hetan already mentioned, Rake has nothing to do with this. Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hetan, on 25 July 2010 - 05:17 PM, said:

Firstly Anomander didn't guard the Throne of Shadow - He left Andarist there on Drift Avali to do that.
Secondly - Anomander Rake has nothing to with the ascension of Kellanved and Dancer - they did that all on their own.
Thirdly - it wasn't the Throne of Emurlahn that Shadowthrone sat on - it was the Throne of Meanas, another aspect of Shadow.

Weeeeeeeeeell, is the third point 100% confirmed, Hetan? I'd argue there is some anecdotal evidence as at Bonehunters that they may have taken the Throne of Emurlahn also?

And fourthly: ANOTHER bloodbath in the Shadow Realm? Really? No-one wants that.

Plus you may be underestimating Cotillion and Ammanas - cf GotM (well, it's GotM, but still) and his acknowledgement that the pair + Hounds could possibly take him out.

And I guess, also, you're assuming Rake didn't want them on the Throne, or, rather, was opposed to it. That isn't necessarily the case. After all, two recently ascended humans are likely better to have on the Throne than: Eleint, Elemental Forces, The Crippled God, or any number of other potentials.

Finally, as has pretty much already been said, but just because he interfered in the affairs of Shadow 300,000 years ago to prevent further sundering of the realm does not mean he will interfere in someone taking the Throne today (well, a short time ago in the Malaz continuum, anyway, if not today...you know what I mean!).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#16 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the answers :p

#17 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hetan, on 25 July 2010 - 05:17 PM, said:

wow!! so their is a throne of rashan too? an the other one er mockra? are there so many thrones in shadow because it is shattered? if i was whole would there only be one?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#18 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

Start of BH, Shadowthrone is appearing 'thin and stretched' in the realm of Shadow as he speaks with Iskaral Pust. Then later on page 51 (Bantam):

'Thus,' said Cotillion, 'if freed, you would once again seek the Shadow Throne. Only this time, someone occupies the throne.'
'The veracity of that claim is subject to debate,' the female dragon said.
'A matter,' added the first dragon, 'of semantics. Shadows cast by shadows.'
'You believe Ammanas is sitting on the wrong Shadow Throne.'
'The true throne is not even in this fragment of Emurlahn.'
Cotillion crossed his arms and smiled. 'And is Ammanas?'
The dragons said nothing, and he sensed, with great satisfaction, their sudden disquiet.

Awwwww, yeeah.
How many thrones of shadow does Shadowthrone control then, hm? Also recall: shadow is more an element of Thyr than Rashan, is it not?
Isn't that somewhere in HoC or DHG?
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#19 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

i think its as much an element of thyr as one of rashan. both light and dark are essential to create shadow
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#20 User is offline   Throne of War 

• Renegade
  • Life in every breath.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Whatever. Any way yo slice it, ST and Cotillion are nasty with theirs. I think when all is said and done, both will be consider's "victors." I love it when a good plan comes together.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users