• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cotillion's knowledge

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

STill a big question re just what their plan is. Saving the world from the CG, sure, because if he 'wins' they are pretty much done for. Consider that as of TB, we know they have had a diabolical plan that includes building an empire, gaining access to the Azath, using the Azath and their Empire to ascend to godhood... and now what they're up to isn't quite clear...

Cots' chat with the dragons certainly suggests he's got a Master Plan in mind, and we've seen from HoC and Tb that Cots (if not Ammanas) seems to be acting in the world's best interests, but just what when and how is still vague.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 September 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

STill a big question re just what their plan is. Saving the world from the CG, sure, because if he 'wins' they are pretty much done for. Consider that as of TB, we know they have had a diabolical plan that includes building an empire, gaining access to the Azath, using the Azath and their Empire to ascend to godhood... and now what they're up to isn't quite clear...

Cots' chat with the dragons certainly suggests he's got a Master Plan in mind, and we've seen from HoC and Tb that Cots (if not Ammanas) seems to be acting in the world's best interests, but just what when and how is still vague.

Do you really think forging their empire was part of their master plan? Because they gained access to an Azath before they even conquered the Untan mainland. I think its more likely they planned to create an empire, and then in the process realized they could become gods, found out some interesting stuff about the future of the world while mapping the Azath, and formed a plan to ascend and then do something about it.

Yes, maybe they thought that ruling the empire and all the things they would need to do to make that happen would make them ascend, and then they planned to go from there, but I think my first paragraph makes more sense.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 23 September 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

...Do you really think forging their empire was part of their master plan? Because they gained access to an Azath before they even conquered the Untan mainland....

Actually yes I do. You're absolutely right that they had access to an Azath before they finished conquering Unta and on to other continents, but consider what they did with that Empire... they wiped out various Shadow Cults. Why? So that when the Shadow Moon came about and it was time to make their move to ascend, no one would be able to challenge their control of shadow. On top of that, ascnesion requires sacrifice - giving up rulership of an empire and faking your own death is pretty high on the sacrifical scale.

I suspect there is more to it that we haven't been told yet, but i stand by my theory that the Malazan Empire was just step 1 for Kel and Dancer.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

I agree with Abyss. They have an overall masterplan we may not know what it is but it has been hinted at a lot that they have. they supposedly know a lot about the azaths and what is coming and have planned for it. One interesting theory I have but I can't quite put my finger on it is the reason they picked shadow out of all the pantheon/thrones to Godhood, there are many thrones/realms that have the seat unoocupied, but I think they picked the shadow because of light and dark, that they have access to both through shadow. they will play a major role in tCG and we will start to see the strings they have been pulling
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#25 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 23 September 2010 - 08:14 PM, said:

I suspect there is more to it that we haven't been told yet, but i stand by my theory that the Malazan Empire was just step 1 for Kel and Dancer.

Agreed. I have a strong feeling that during the expansion of the Empire, Kell/Cots realised a greater threat/challenge, and from that point on the Empire has become a part of a larger plan...

Like the 'Shadow sits between light and dark, has access to both' concept - that one hadn't dropped, nice!

Plans within plans...Oooooh, what a tangled web we weave...All part of life's rich tapestry...I love it when a Flan comes together...I ain't gettin' in no Throne-of-the-sea...Hey! You! Get off o' my Flan!...CLICHE-GASM!

<message ends>

#26 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Ever since reading that conversation between Cotillion and the dragons I can think only about one thing: how the hell does a pure dragon SIT on a throne :D

#27 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Ammanas and Cotillion are just crafty mofos like that. They probably knew what was up and so arranged to do things in a way that wouldn't allow anyone the opportunity to prevent their seizing of the throne of Shadow.<br><br>I may be remembering things incorrectly, but as for what part the Empire was in their plans, I seem to recall at some point reading that they started planning to ascend when they realized that their goals were too ambitious to achieve while mortals. <br>

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 23 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#28 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

View PostRhand, on 23 May 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Ever since reading that conversation between Cotillion and the dragons I can think only about one thing: how the hell does a pure dragon SIT on a throne :D

Er.... maybe it sort of curls around the throne and uses the seat as a head rest? Or something? Or maybe the throne reshapes itself to the form of the... sitter... I guess.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#29 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

From the last few pages of Chapter 12 of The Bonehunters:

'Shadowthrone, and I,' he looked up, then half-shrugged, 'our path to ascendancy was through the Houses of the Azath. There were years - a good number of them - in which neither I nor the man who at that time was known as Emperor Kellanved were to be found anywhere within the Malazan empire. For we had begun another quest, a bolder gambit.' Firelight gleamed in his dark eyes. 'We set out to map the Azath. Every House, across this entire realm. We set out to master its power-'

'But that is not possible,' Mappo said. 'You failed - you cannot have done otherwise, else you both would now be far more than gods-'

'True enough, as far as it goes.' He studied the tea in the clay cup nestled in the bowl of his hands. 'Certain realizations came to us, however, earned from hard experience and somewhat unrelenting diligence. The first was this: our quest would demand far more than a single, mortal lifespan. The other realizations - well, perhaps I had best leave those for another night, another time. In any case, in comprehending that such a gambit would enforce upon us demands we could not withstand - not as emperor and master assassin, that is - it proved necessary to make use of what we had learned to date.'

'To make yourselves gods.'

'Yes.'

Here's how it looks to me... They decided to go for something even cooler than the Malazan Empire. Mapping the Azath Houses, and mastering their power. As they were going about this gambit, they realized they couldn't accomplish it as mortal humans. So they used what they had learned so far to become gods, so that they could accomplish it. THIS is what they're up to at all times. We can't see how various things they've done, or had done for them, will advance this gambit. And some things they've done might not be for this end at all.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 29 November 2011 - 03:00 PM
Reason for edit: LATER BOOK SPOILERS REMOVED. BLOCKED MAJOR SPOILERS ARE STILL MAJOR SPOILERS.

'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#30 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

Spoiler

Odd and Funny, how half the dang series was =)

Watch the spoilers please~Bubba

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users