• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a single nice place on Burn?

#1 User is offline   genius builder 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Can you think of one place you would like to live on Burn? I can't. Not including the Prehistoric Eden's throughout the series, there isn't a single nice place.

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

That nunnery for the Queen of Dreams Icarium remembers in DG, before Shadow moved in after it was abandoned. That was a pretty sweet place to live.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

Lostaraīs arms...:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#4 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

Ulrik you forgot Shurq Elalle and Masan Gilani.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#5 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

Darujhistan would be OK, I suppose. Sure, poverty and stuff, but overall its nice.

And maybe the Falari Isles, or Geni. Islands, isolated, etc.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#6 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

This might be completely insane, but the Seguleh Island and the Assessor homeland seemed to be well ordered, peaceful places. Of course, they're also predicated upon martial tyranny and a violently extreme social order, but the rules are clear, understood and followed by all.

That being said, Darujhistan is probably the best place in the books so far. Well, that and the Refugium.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

View Postamphibian, on 20 July 2010 - 08:32 AM, said:

This might be completely insane, but the Seguleh Island and the Assessor homeland seemed to be well ordered, peaceful places. Of course, they're also predicated upon martial tyranny and a violently extreme social order, but the rules are clear, understood and followed by all.

That being said, Darujhistan is probably the best place in the books so far. Well, that and the Refugium.

Assessor homeland? Remind me please

#8 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

the home of the Cabal monk who meets Samar Dev and Karsa in Letheras, the guy who worships Icarium as a god. He does not tell anyone his name, only his title as "assessor'.

If I have to choose, I would also prefer Darujistan to any other town in that world. Or, for the peaceful countryside, the Refugium. But it seems that realm might not remain peaceful that long.

This post has been edited by Findarato: 20 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

#9 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

It's a bunch of islands called the Cabal Arcipelagus were they all worship one god(Icarium). However no one agrees on what kind of of God it is and so there was a looooooong period of war. In the end they made peace by saying that anybody could worship the God as they wanted and as such there some thousand sects.

The Assessor was to be a champion who should have fought against Rhulad but they understood he was no warrior and let him be. He spent his time in Lether by following Icarium around
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#10 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

Okay. We never actually see those lands though right? I remeber Assessor.

#11 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

How about Black Coral, y'know, after the Andii move in? Sure it's dark, but I burn easily anyway. I got sunstroke in Iceland ffs. 

I'd also vote for anywhere Lady Envy is, on the provisos that:

a) She's in a good mood.

:) Her sister is far away. Preferably on another continent. 
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#12 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

View PostGarak, on 20 July 2010 - 07:41 AM, said:

Ulrik you forgot Shurq Elalle and Masan Gilani.

I had to choose one! And well, Lostara can dance :))
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#13 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

By why choose one? Why not all? If you're going to think something that will never happen, might as well go for gold I always say.

Also everytime I try to think about what I'd do if I was in the Malazan world I can only picture one thing: signing up with the Malazan army and telling the recruiting officer that I like loud noises and fire (with a big grin plastered on my face and a manic gleam in my eyes).

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

Dragnipur. You know, for the camaraderie.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

View PostGarak, on 20 July 2010 - 09:44 AM, said:

By why choose one? Why not all? If you're going to think something that will never happen, might as well go for gold I always say.

Also everytime I try to think about what I'd do if I was in the Malazan world I can only picture one thing: signing up with the Malazan army and telling the recruiting officer that I like loud noises and fire (with a big grin plastered on my face and a manic gleam in my eyes).

Recipe for success! Let's face it, 90% of the Malazan Army are people looking to blow shit up.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#16 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Coop's in Malaz. I LIKE it there.
Get to the chopper!

#17 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

View PostAin, on 20 July 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostGarak, on 20 July 2010 - 09:44 AM, said:

Recipe for success! Let's face it, 90% of the Malazan Army are people looking to blow shit up.

Don't most of the soldier PoVs suggest that they're kinda depressed that they got in to the army life and live with the dull, miserable knowledge that they are such ingrained killers that the idea of ever retiring and becoming 'normal' is basically farcical. Maybe I read in to it too much, but I got the impression that SE was trying to put this across quite strongly.

Apart from Smiles and Koryk, they seem to pretty much like the killing.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#18 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Don't most of the soldier PoVs suggest that they're kinda depressed that they got in to the army life and live with the dull, miserable knowledge that they are such ingrained killers that the idea of ever retiring and becoming 'normal' is basically farcical. Maybe I read in to it too much, but I got the impression that SE was trying to put this across quite strongly.

Considering that the Malazan world is made up, if I ever found myself there it would pretty much indicate I went insane or the universe got bored of this reality and decided to try SE's version instead. In either case, my sanity (what's left of it at any rate) does not belong there.

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Umryg.

-D'rek, knows you don't know where that is...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#20 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Raruku? As a tribesman?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users