• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Ben...gay or celibate?

#21 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

Many gay men have had sex with a woman. That's probably how he found out he was gay.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#22 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

It seems he retained himself when he absorbed the other souls though, its like he just go thier power . if he didn't then it would be wierd having 12 thoughts at once, all the time. So I just think he absorbed the power, and kept himself, and sexuality the same.
-

#23 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

He could be gay AND celibate too of course. I'm with Ulrik, except I don't think QB's confused.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

View PostHigh Mage Quick Ben, on 03 June 2010 - 09:16 PM, said:

It seems he retained himself when he absorbed the other souls though, its like he just go thier power . if he didn't then it would be wierd having 12 thoughts at once, all the time. So I just think he absorbed the power, and kept himself, and sexuality the same.

hm, i dont really think its so easy. by the time WJ and the BB's catch up with him, he says they have reached an uneasy accord. so it seems that their personalities survived, but they decided not to cause him too much confusion, like one soul taking control of the other eleven. throughout the series he holds himself pretty well, not acting like a man with 12 different personalities. but how long can it last?

well
Spoiler

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#25 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

Bow chicka wow wow. Something I never really noticed, though it has been a ridiculous time since I've reread.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#26 User is offline   Hood's Legacy 

• Weilder of the Abysmal Blade
  • Interests:High fantasy, warcraft, starcraft, good FPS', manga, anime
  • Power Beckons!!!!!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 04 June 2010 - 06:34 AM, said:

Bow chicka wow wow. Something I never really noticed, though it has been a ridiculous time since I've reread.

He's neither... When he hints at WhiskeyJack and Korlat's relationship in book 3, he mentions that it's been a long time and he needs a woman. There is also a mention of him eyeing Lostara in a hmmm..... hmmm.... sorta way in book 4. I never felt that Quick Ben might be a homosexual, but since you guys are mentioning it and my theories added, he probably could be bisexual.. Anyway, who cares. Quick Ben is a kick-ass magician who can weild 7 warrens at the same time.
Celibacy might help with accrual of power. Barring few civilisations, each one suggests that virginity attributes purity and is a path of attaining a higher state of whatever it is that you are pursuing. Hmm,,,,, smoochies he shall not get..

#27 User is offline   Hood's Legacy 

• Weilder of the Abysmal Blade
  • Interests:High fantasy, warcraft, starcraft, good FPS', manga, anime
  • Power Beckons!!!!!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostUlrik, on 03 June 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

With his twelve souls...he is easily bi...or L n Bi...and because we dont know some souls, he can be hetero, homo, bi, L and maybe something completely special...

Damn, he must be really confused about his sexuality.

About that SE mentions several characters who have been "used" many times by both men and women. Certifiably, those chars are bi. But, if you pay close attention, he also mentions that the people who use the bi people for "ahem" jiggy/happy time are those closest to the bi people. Makes you kinda wonder, who's what????
JJJ in The Dragonfly movie: Whenever you are sleeping with someone, you are sleeping with all the people they have slept with. Does it make you gay?? Yes, it does....

#28 User is offline   Chiggerflea 

• Recruit

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

I was wondering this not because I care about his sexuality, it was just another one of those moments in the series when a character's thoughts was vague and cryptic... which happens a lot with Erikson.

Anyway, I now vaguely recall now that comment he made about having not being with a woman for a long time. He's probably actually asexual, in the sense that so much traumatic shit has happened/is happening that his libido has disappeared.

#29 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Just my theory.
I might be completely wrong and I kinda forgot in wich part of Reaper's Gale this is. But this occured to me when reading the question.

Where they entering the realm
Spoiler

Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#30 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

OH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK

He's just been too busy thinking up schemes to save the entire world a dozen times over to care about romance at the moment. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHETHER HE FUCKS GIRLS OR DUDES.

He still totally fucked Lostara.

BY OFFICIAL DECREE EVERY POSTER AFTER ME IN THIS THREAD IS A FANFIC 'AUTHOR' RESEARCHING THEIR WHISKEYJACK/QUICK BEN SLASHFIC

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A FANFIC 'AUTHOR' DON'T POST
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Whiskeyjack and Quick Ben walk into a bar. A gay bar. A personal gay bar, in Whiskeyjack's apartment. They make a few drinks and settle down on the couch. "Are you hurt, Whiskey?" asks Ben. "Here let's take a look at that leg. Does it hurt here?" The ankle. "Here?" The calf. "Or here?" The thigh. "Or perhaps a bit further up? Let me soothe that pain."

#32 User is offline   Meraxes 

• Apprentice of High House Boom
  • ROLL ON THE CRIPPLED GOD!!!!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 05 June 2010 - 07:39 PM, said:

OH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK

He's just been too busy thinking up schemes to save the entire world a dozen times over to care about romance at the moment. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHETHER HE FUCKS GIRLS OR DUDES.

He still totally fucked Lostara.

BY OFFICIAL DECREE EVERY POSTER AFTER ME IN THIS THREAD IS A FANFIC 'AUTHOR' RESEARCHING THEIR WHISKEYJACK/QUICK BEN SLASHFIC

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A FANFIC 'AUTHOR' DON'T POST

LOL...damn, you sure made me do some abs with you decree....anyway, who cares, as you said, he still nailed Lostara...either that or the woman is using some serious self - Mockrization ( is that even English?) to fulfill her innermost fantasies.

"Ever had a child? I thought not, giving advice to a child is like flinging sand at an obsidian wall, nothing sticks. The brutal truth is that we each suffer our own lessons - they can't be danced round, nor slipped past. You cannot gift a child with your scars - they arrive like webs, constricting, suffocating, and that child will struggle and strain until they break. No matter how noble your intent, the only scars that teach them anything are the ones they earn themselves"

#33 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Just came across the quote from MoI:

Memories of Ice, Tor trade paperback, p. 474 said:

"Gods, the ego!" [Korlat] gestured with her free hand and a ghostly figure took form in front of Whiskeyjack. A familiar face - that smiled.

"What a charming sight," the apparition said, eyeing them. "Hood knows, I can't recall the last time I had a woman."

"Watch your tongue, Quick Ben," Whiskeyjack growled, disengaging his hand from Korlat's. "It's been awhile, and you look terrible."

Quick has always seemed a little effeminate, but I don't think he would have made this comment if he were gay.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#34 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

He says it's a long time since he had a woman. You could read into that that it's not all that long since he had a man... :(

I'd argue he's celibate by choice and that his sexuality, whatever it may be, serves as a distraction from his purpose so he just squashes it.

Also, as I'm told I resemble some peoples' mental image of QB's appearance, it's very obvious that he must be a very fine looking, sexy, sexy man :D
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#35 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

hehehe, now that's a post/avatar combo!

#36 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

View Postansible, on 04 August 2010 - 05:14 PM, said:

"What a charming sight," the apparition said, eyeing them.  "Hood knows, I can't recall the last time I had a woman."

Maybe is one of his souls cannibal... Yeees...First Tenescowri and thats why QB was afraid revealing by Anomander! Yes, I know timeline is wrong, but, we all know timelines bussines, dont we? I told it first, remember it! Witness! 
(muehe...smaaart Ulrik...smaaaart...)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#37 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Quick Ben fucks with gods. He doesn't need men or women :(

#38 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

I'd like to point out that, if Quick did fuck Lostara, he's a pedophile. Consider this:

Lostara was 7 years old when she was taken into the Temple of Rashan in Ehrlitan.

Then, quote from House of Chains, page 390 of US paperback:

Setting foot into the city's streets the following morning, after seven years absence...

Seven when she was taken in, and served/danced at the temple for seven years until it was destroyed. Making her fourteen. Naughty naughty!

So, he's either gay or a pedophile. Or both.

"What a charming sight," the apparition said, eyeing them. "Hood knows, I can't recall the last time I had a woman."

It's hard to recall something that never happened.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#39 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

14 is like 40 in those Roman-times type conditions.

#40 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

View Postworrywort, on 24 August 2010 - 07:24 AM, said:

14 is like 40 in those Roman-times type conditions.

Agreed - I don't remember reading anything alluding to "age of consent" so far....perhaps it's a RAFO.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users