• 12 Pages +
  • Last »

some things i picked off G.r.r. martin' blog Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

1) May. 24th - "I just sent the manuscript of FORT FREAK, volume twenty-one in the ongoing Wild Cards series, off to our editors at Tor. Six hundred and eight pages of Jokertown goodness".

hmm, he finished 680 pages, that's so nice.

2)May. 9th - May. 21st - he's been looking at tapes of auditions to some characters (about 10 chars).

3) fan fiction - writing about this BS topic, endlessly.

4) nfl, wierd rand al'thor vs jaime lanister fanfic battle (from a guy who doesn't like fanfic).

5) buy some of my calenders, useless objects from my books, like emblems and people made out of plastic.

6) yet another book written while a dance with dragons is not even close to finished.

7) he asks that people not laugh to hard when he says he will finish a dance by the end of the year (still 6 more months, i remind you).

8) i saw movies, del toro wolfman and some other movies, i saw movies, did i said that already ?

9) priorities : nfl, casting of the show, hockey, a dance with dragons, convention.
yes, that's right.

10) well, on march 2nd he said he finished 1311 pages.

i can go on.

in short, g.r.r.martin, there're reasons i post mainly in this author's forums, and one of them is the uncanny
ability of erikson to actualy keep at his job, of writing books.

have a nice day.
(to those who somehow missed it, i am speaking for him, not me, and when i say speak i mean type).

This post has been edited by haroos: 02 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Oh the impotent fanboy rage in this thread.

GRRM is not focused on ASOIAF, deal with it or move on.

#3 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

I imagine he'll make more money from the HBO series than from Dance of Dragons...

Also, he doesn't actually write the Wild Cards stuff, just edits it, as far as I know.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#4 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

Bad Apt, let the noob vent. We all agree with him, GRRM is being a pain in the ass with his last book, and hopefully he wont hit the best seller list because of it (But he probably will).
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Well, considering Westeros doesn't let members talk about this entire situation, you don't have much of a choice do you? Frankly, I'm sick of reading about ASofIaF on here. It even permeates the book threads.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Okay. He's new on the forum. He may even be new to the ASOIAF series.

But this is an OLD discussion on this forum and it never changes. One side are appologists arguing that GRRM is not your slave author and he is free to write what he want when he wants it. His writing style in to juggle half a dozen projects at once and unfortunately this means that ASOIAF doesn't get top priority. If he wants he's free to spend a decade on each book, it's his prerogative.

The other side are outraged and demand satisfaction. They feel that beginning a series is like signing a contract with your readers, your customers. You finish what you start. They don't think it's okay that he has other projects, and for some reason it angers them even more that he dares to have a blog where he posts about things that interests him and he wants to share. They would rather that he was chained to his desk and was typing away 16 hours a day.

In the end, none of it matters. It's just a god damn book. A very promising series mind you. But it's just written papers. Running around being frustrated about Martins writing style and his passions is pointless. I read the first three somewhere back in 02 or 03, I've been waiting for the series to wrap up for 7 years. I don't expect Martin to finish the series within the next decade and by now I no longer care. Like the Wheel of Time I have just filed it away under "read if it ever gets finished".

Oh, and to do some constructive criticism. Instead of doing this disjointed point bulletin summary of what the OP read, instead he should just have linked us to the blog and done a quote copy from the blog.

In before "GRRM is overweight".

#7 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

View Postharoos, on 02 June 2010 - 05:36 PM, said:

1) May. 24th - "I just sent the manuscript of FORT FREAK, volume twenty-one in the ongoing Wild Cards series, off to our editors at Tor. Six hundred and eight pages of Jokertown goodness".

hmm, he finished 680 pages, that's so nice.

No, he didn't. Wild Cards is a collaborative series, with multple authors per volume. He might have had a ~80 page story in there, or he might just be editing. Either way, he hasn't written 680 pages for it.

And Wild Cards is very good by the way, worth checking out.
"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#8 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

Okay. He's new on the forum. He may even be new to the ASOIAF series.

But this is an OLD discussion on this forum and it never changes. One side are appologists arguing that GRRM is not your slave author and he is free to write what he want when he wants it. His writing style in to juggle half a dozen projects at once and unfortunately this means that ASOIAF doesn't get top priority. If he wants he's free to spend a decade on each book, it's his prerogative.

The other side are outraged and demand satisfaction. They feel that beginning a series is like signing a contract with your readers, your customers. You finish what you start. They don't think it's okay that he has other projects, and for some reason it angers them even more that he dares to have a blog where he posts about things that interests him and he wants to share. They would rather that he was chained to his desk and was typing away 16 hours a day.

In the end, none of it matters. It's just a god damn book. A very promising series mind you. But it's just written papers. Running around being frustrated about Martins writing style and his passions is pointless. I read the first three somewhere back in 02 or 03, I've been waiting for the series to wrap up for 7 years. I don't expect Martin to finish the series within the next decade and by now I no longer care. Like the Wheel of Time I have just filed it away under "read if it ever gets finished".

Oh, and to do some constructive criticism. Instead of doing this disjointed point bulletin summary of what the OP read, instead he should just have linked us to the blog and done a quote copy from the blog.

In before "GRRM is overweight".

aptorian, i think i am older than you, and i read soiaf 10 years ago, maybe after you, but still, not yesterday.
i don't get why you comment in a fashion you criticize in me, kind of doesn't make sense.
this wasn't a rant post, it was just a collection of points from there, truly.
the fact that the whole issue is highly annoying, is not in contrast to that.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

I was addressing Bent there. And giving people a cliff notes version of every GRRM publishing schedule discussion in existence.

It certainly does come off as a "rant post" since you are not providing any source and you seem to just be venting about disjointed topics you read on another forum. Not really having any way to comment on the specifics, since we don't have the source, the only choice is to talk in general terms which ends up with the typical GRRM discussion a la GRRM is so fat he believes that it is in fact butter, GRRM is really slow, is he dead yet, I demand books now because I am a petulant child, etc.

EDIT: Oh and the Rand vs Jaime battle was Epic! I would rather he just stopped writing ASOIAF and began writing fan fic and Lovecraftian short stories.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 02 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

#10 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2010 - 06:31 PM, said:

I was addressing Bent there. And giving people a cliff notes version of every GRRM publishing schedule discussion in existence.

It certainly does come off as a "rant post" since you are not providing any source and you seem to just be venting about disjointed topics you read on another forum. Not really having any way to comment on the specifics, since we don't have the source, the only choice is to talk in general terms which ends up with the typical GRRM discussion a la GRRM is so fat he believes that it is in fact butter, GRRM is really slow, is he dead yet, I demand books now because I am a petulant child, etc.

EDIT: Oh and the Rand vs Jaime battle was Epic! I would rather he just stopped writing ASOIAF and began writing fan fic and Lovecraftian short stories.

i said it was from his blog, i'm supposed to bring links to every single blop post ?
anyway, call it rant, call it whatever.
i just brought some points from his blog, which i leaf through every once in a while, and that's all.
btw, who the hell cares about his lifestyle or appearence ?
you think i'm in his blog out of the blue ?
or maybe it's because i once read this great 3 books which led me into a fanatic of soiaf ?
(not realy a fanatatic, i certinaly will never buy any merchandise).

This post has been edited by haroos: 02 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

View Postharoos, on 02 June 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

i said it was from his blog, i'm supposed to bring links to every single blop post ?

It certainly helps. Especially when you are quoting the blog.

Here's the link by the way for those of us too lazy to actually go visit:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

i just brought some points from his blog, which i leaf through every once in a while, and that's all.

And you're free to do that. Like Bent pointed out I was a bit harsh. I apologise for that. It was rude. If true.

Well, you certainly seem to have an interest in GRRMs daily routine.

And you would be amazed how quick any discussion descends into "He is fat and will probably die before he ends the book" on the internet. Bit sad really... (deadpool is still running though)

But then again, this is the Malazan Empire. We are a fickle crowd.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 02 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

#12 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

As Neil Gaiman said - He is not your bitch.

Live with it. Or not, I dont care, we dont care. Only result is that my opinion of you worsened.

P.S. Jon Snow is gay...:o
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Oh my.

#14 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

People are still bitching about this? I was a bit annoyed back in '07 or so, but now I'm just like whatever. If it ever comes out, awesome, if it doesn't, oh well. Not worth getting all angry over.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Wait, wait, back up... GRRM is still alive???

- Abyss, :o
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

You people should think yourself lucky, I once waited for nearly 15 years to read the next book in a particular series. That wasn't fun.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

It certainly helps. Especially when you are quoting the blog.

Here's the link by the way for those of us too lazy to actually go visit:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

And you're free to do that. Like Bent pointed out I was a bit harsh. I apologise for that. It was rude. If true.

Well, you certainly seem to have an interest in GRRMs daily routine.

And you would be amazed how quick any discussion descends into "He is fat and will probably die before he ends the book" on the internet. Bit sad really... (deadpool is still running though)

But then again, this is the Malazan Empire. We are a fickle crowd.

believe me (or not), but i consider my self among the last to comment about the appearence of others, and so i don't do it.
the dance with a dragons is extremly (with many expletives and exclamation points) irritating, and the only point of the post was to show this, by
pointing out what he talks about.
and tnx for this comment.

#18 User is offline   SalokinX 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

OK, I'll just jump the posts and get my argument in here:

GRRM said in an interview (a podcast) that he writes books slowly because he's a slow writer, and he said that more than once.

He is not in a rush to finish the book. He has other things to do like, write other books, edit stuff, etc. If you are so desperate buy the three Tales of Dunk and Egg. They are very nice and gives you more insight to the history of Westeros about 100 years or so ago.

The problem is with you, not Martin. Learn to deal with your instant-gratification and stop blaming the others for not being speed writers.

By the way, I bought the old calendars (even though they are from 2009) and I already pre-ordered the 2011 one. What can I say? I'm a fan boy. I feel that this series is going to be as big as Lord of the Rings once it comes out on HBO and I want to be the ultimate nerd when that happens.

Cheers buddy.

#19 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

I can understand how repeated complaints about GRRM can get to be annoying, especially since there isn't anything new to say. What really bothers me is the self-righteous disdain doled out by both sides, but especially his defenders. How is complaining about a book's completion date any different than complaining about the content of a book? If someone doesn't like Erikson's latest book, the standard reply is not (I hope), "Erikson is not your bitch; if you don't like the way he writes his books and the things that happen, don't read them." Regardless of whether a specific complaint has merit, I don't believe it's valid to classify all complaints about a certain topic as invalid.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

At some point i'm going to give GRRM his own subforum like we have for Butcher and stick in a subsubforum specifically for the timing threads!

I personally don't care how long it takes him or how many people want to vent about it. He'll take as long as he takes and if the fans don't like it they can say so with their wallets.

But quietly or else he may eat them. oh, was that out loud?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users