• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Videogames Thread

#4021 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

View PostAptorian, on 08 September 2021 - 10:51 AM, said:

I've heard of this little indie project called Star Citizen that might fit you.

Looks like it might, doubt it will be appearing on consoles anytime soon though.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4022 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:03 PM

Oh, I wasn't aware I was corresponding with a peasant. Pshah!

#4023 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:34 PM

View PostAptorian, on 08 September 2021 - 02:03 PM, said:

Oh, I wasn't aware I was corresponding with a peasant. Pshah!

Yep, I've devolved into a player who prefers games that I can play while stretched out on the couch when everyone else has gone to bed. So anything with text so small I can't read it from across the room is out, too.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4024 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:43 PM

View PostTraveller, on 08 September 2021 - 09:13 AM, said:

Anyone played Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

Or could recommend a decent space game with some different systems and stations to visit, missions to complete and ships to mess around with and upgrade?

I might just boot up Rebel Galaxy again; just wondered if there was anything else out there that I'm not aware of that might scratch that Space Cowboy itch.

I mean, there's always Elite: Dangerous....

I hear that game's something else with VR.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4025 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:44 PM

heh, the PS5 Pro rumors popping off. Isn't it interesting how the virality of social media amplifies these kind of things? I wonder if the Sony PlayStation Showcase will troll this stuff? It's probably too late to amend their presentation, but a speaker could make a joke or two.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 September 2021 - 06:51 PM

#4026 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

Does the PlayStation Showcase today bookend the summer announcements? That would be a wrap on announcing things? And now steamrolling into awards 2021 and the holiday releases? Or are there more shows still to happen?

#4027 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:27 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 September 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

Does the PlayStation Showcase today bookend the summer announcements? That would be a wrap on announcing things? And now steamrolling into awards 2021 and the holiday releases? Or are there more shows still to happen?

THQN showcase on the 16th - I still want my Darksiders 4, dammit, lol

Tokyo Game Show end of the month.

Link to the showcase, since I'm guessing BK will be looking for one:

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 09 September 2021 - 05:28 PM

#4028 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:45 PM

Nice, that Korean RPG is finally getting some exposure! Been banging the drum on this one since forever. Project EVE

Forspoken! So, a magic shooter with a magical grapple hook. Not bad.

Alan Wake remaster. Knew about this one.

GhostWire continues to look interesting/weird.

Oh hey, Uncharted is coming to PC... skipping the original trilogy, because of course I wanna start at Game 4.

Insomniac is on fire tho. Good for them.

#4029 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:24 PM

Spider-Man 2 teasing Venom, nice.

I didn't really understand what the Radio Head Kid A deal was going to be? A video game or enhanced experience for music?

Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is supposed to be aces.

#4030 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:28 PM

View PostMentalist, on 09 September 2021 - 08:45 PM, said:

Nice, that Korean RPG is finally getting some exposure! Been banging the drum on this one since forever. Project EVE

Oh hey, Uncharted is coming to PC... skipping the original trilogy, because of course I wanna start at Game 4.

Really like the look of Forspoken.

Is Project Eve in any way related to the PS1 Parasite Eve games? Because, you know, Eve - and companion bot in the trailer shouted about parasites.

Insomniac sure do roll out the games at some pace. Really enjoyed Spider-Man so I’m sure the sequel will be great too. I wonder if Wolverine is going to be more Logan-style than X-Men style.

I don’t mind remasters in general, but I do find it annoying when what feels like still relatively recent games like Uncharted get that treatment - or the cough ‘enhanced gameplay’ cough of GTAV. KOTOR sounds like it might be more along FF VII remake lines, which would be exciting.

I also liked the look of that ‘inspired by New Caledonia’ game whose name I’ve already forgotten. T-something.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#4031 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:23 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 09 September 2021 - 10:28 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 09 September 2021 - 08:45 PM, said:

Really like the look of Forspoken.

Is Project Eve in any way related to the PS1 Parasite Eve games? Because, you know, Eve - and companion bot in the trailer shouted about parasites.

Insomniac sure do roll out the games at some pace. Really enjoyed Spider-Man so I’m sure the sequel will be great too. I wonder if Wolverine is going to be more Logan-style than X-Men style.

I don’t mind remasters in general, but I do find it annoying when what feels like still relatively recent games like Uncharted get that treatment - or the cough ‘enhanced gameplay’ cough of GTAV. KOTOR sounds like it might be more along FF VII remake lines, which would be exciting.

I also liked the look of that ‘inspired by New Caledonia’ game whose name I’ve already forgotten. T-something.

Project EVE is a Nier-inspired action RPG. I posted the original announcement trailer back in like 2019, lol. you are an android that's being sent to Earth from space to take it back from those monsters we saw in the trailer. Probably the best trailer in the show.

New Caledonia game is Tchia. They announced it at the Game Awards in 2020. It looked cool back then, you have a power to possess wildlife (yet another game that's doing that ahead of WILD, lol)

Uncharted is getting an upres they can charge more money for, and they're cashing in on PC in the process. The Uncharted ports were originally mentioned in a Sony investors' presentation earlier this year. I'm just annoyed that 1-3 aren't mentioned as of yet. Hopefully they get ported too, since Sony bought Nixxes, probably the best porting studio out there.

#4032 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:54 AM

What's with the remaster trend though. Seems like it is becoming more common place. I guess it's an easy way to make the cash register hum, appealing to nostalgia but with better graphics. I dunno though, I was hoping as far as entertainment options go, the video game industry would stay away from the Hollywood remake/reboot carousel and try and stay forward looking, towards new and interesting IP (or at least sequels).

Forspoken has some cool elements, but bloody hell, based on that trailer I hope they make changes to the voice acting and the lines they have written. That was cringe inducing.

#4033 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 September 2021 - 03:55 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 September 2021 - 01:54 AM, said:

What's with the remaster trend though. Seems like it is becoming more common place. I guess it's an easy way to make the cash register hum, appealing to nostalgia but with better graphics. I dunno though, I was hoping as far as entertainment options go, the video game industry would stay away from the Hollywood remake/reboot carousel and try and stay forward looking, towards new and interesting IP (or at least sequels).

Forspoken has some cool elements, but bloody hell, based on that trailer I hope they make changes to the voice acting and the lines they have written. That was cringe inducing.

If they are remastering games from the PS360 gen and earlier, I get it- the biggest console market doesn't have backwards compatibility for those games, and it's a way to preserve them for the future.

These "next gen upgrades" that Sony is doing with its PS4 titles are pretty much an unadulterated cash grab, though. The underlying architecture for PS4 and PS5 is the same, it's literally like putting more powerful components into your PC that still runs the same basic OS; Tweaking the settings from "Medium" to "High" really shouldn't need to cost even the 10 bucks they're offering as upgrade path now.

As for new and interesting IPs.... yeah, as game production costs are balooning, AAA publishers are becoming WAY more risk averse- it's why ActiBlizz has like 12 studios working on Call of Duty.

The upshot is that with tools like Unreal and Unity becoming so much more powerful and versatile, even smaller devs with typical "AA" budgets can make pretty amazing games. That's where most new IPs are gonna be coming from, imo- also should give more diversity, with places like China, Korea, Brazil, Russia, etc producing solid-looking games that try to be out there- like Black Myth, Project EVE, Dolmen, Atomic Heart and so on.

#4034 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 10 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

It’s usually, I think, the risk and ever-spiralling budgets thing. Make a remaster relatively cheaply that you can be fairly confident will sell well so that you can have a bigger budget/tide yourself over until the next new release.

Not sure that’s quite the case with Naughty Dog as they’re unlikely to be short of funding. But getting in some extra revenue and keeping teams busy which you might otherwise let go in the down time before development ramps up is never a bad thing for a company.

Unfortunately, game preservation is secondary - if considered at all - where remasters are concerned. It has very little to do with that from the developer/publisher perspective. But I’m not sure why Ment says backwards compatibility isn’t available - for 360 games it certainly is, and even for a larger-than-expected number of original Xbox games.

For PS3 games, on the other hand, that is true, and Sony are far worse than Xbox in this respect. They’ve been headed this way for years - the original version PS3 could play PS1 and PS2 games, but as new, ‘better’ versions of the PS3 console came out this feature was increasingly stripped out.

#4035 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 10 September 2021 - 10:28 AM

Re the above, it’s also worth noting that once the PS3 stopped being backwards compatible with PS2 games, that’s when remasters started appearing.

#4036 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

Started playing The Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn, immediately hooked as I was with the original game when it came to PC.
I do hope the next part of the series finds its way to PC..

#4037 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:53 PM

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 10 September 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

Started playing The Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn, immediately hooked as I was with the original game when it came to PC.

Forbidden West is a cross-gen game, meaning it doesn't require PS5's "magical SSD" to run; so we'll most likely get a PC port, the question is just how long it'll take, :)

View PostKhellendros, on 10 September 2021 - 07:59 AM, said:

It’s usually, I think, the risk and ever-spiralling budgets thing. Make a remaster relatively cheaply that you can be fairly confident will sell well so that you can have a bigger budget/tide yourself over until the next new release.

Not sure that’s quite the case with Naughty Dog as they’re unlikely to be short of funding. But getting in some extra revenue and keeping teams busy which you might otherwise let go in the down time before development ramps up is never a bad thing for a company.

Unfortunately, game preservation is secondary - if considered at all - where remasters are concerned. It has very little to do with that from the developer/publisher perspective. But I’m not sure why Ment says backwards compatibility isn’t available - for 360 games it certainly is, and even for a larger-than-expected number of original Xbox games.

For PS3 games, on the other hand, that is true, and Sony are far worse than Xbox in this respect. They’ve been headed this way for years - the original version PS3 could play PS1 and PS2 games, but as new, ‘better’ versions of the PS3 console came out this feature was increasingly stripped out.

well, I specifically said PS360 generation - meaning both 360 AND PS3. And then I said "the biggest market" doesn't have backwards compatibility.... so yeah, I was basically talking about Sony. Microsoft's BC program made a significant chunk (though not all) of the major Xbox titles backwards compatible. However, since the One was pretty terrible for their market share, majority of console-only players still don't have access to a lot of those titles that were part of the PlayStation ecosystem, but tied to the PS3. I'm pretty sure it's because of the userbase on PlayStation that stuff like the Mass Effect trilogy remaster happened, for instance.

I'm sure game preservation isn't a point of concern for publishers- reaching maximum new audiences are. But every one of these old single player games that gets a PC port now that hasn't had it back in that generation when all the publishers wanted PC gaming to die - stuff like the Ninja Gaiden games, No More Heroes, Nier, El Shaddai, etc--they all get a much better shot at being preserved once there are PC copies floating out there.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 10 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

#4038 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

Checked out that subreddit that brings together links from popular game sites that post reviews of video games. Dang, Deathloop is getting GotY love.

#4039 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:05 AM

Arkane game getting critical love is not surprising.

Hopefully it actually sells well, unlike Prey and Dishonored 2

#4040 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:04 AM

View PostMentalist, on 10 September 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 10 September 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

Forbidden West is a cross-gen game, meaning it doesn't require PS5's "magical SSD" to run; so we'll most likely get a PC port, the question is just how long it'll take, :)

I mean I'm not going to run out of games to play while waiting, but would be nice if we didn't have to wait years until they port it :(
(I already have one of these magical SSD's installed in my PC so that wouldn't be a problem).

Oh, and just heard rumors that Battlefield 2042 might be delayed until next year. Good. They better implement a working system for community servers.

This post has been edited by Not-So-Great-Raven: 15 September 2021 - 10:05 AM

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users