• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Videogames Thread

#3241 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

Damn, I missed the part about audio. I figured that was going to be Cerny's finale, and to end the presentation with a emphatic wow-factor. Audio, to me, is the area where consoles and hardware can really make strides forward. We have amazing audio with current gen, but there can be some serious 'moving the paradigm forward' capabilities (I think) that can be explored in the area of video game audio.

#3242 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:51 PM

What exactly is a "terror plop"? I was under the impression that is the sound I make on the toilet about an hour after eating two spicy bean burritos from Taco Bell. Around these parts, we call it 'Taco Hell'.

#3243 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 March 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

What exactly is a "terror plop"? I was under the impression that is the sound I make on the toilet about an hour after eating two spicy bean burritos from Taco Bell. Around these parts, we call it 'Taco Hell'.

How many calculations are done per second. Basically how much stuff can get drawn at once, or some such.

Honestly, I stick by assertion that all this high-end stuff will only really matter if you wanna run stuff in 4K. Other than that, both 10.8 and 12.1 are gonna be ridiculously good for 1080p
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3244 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:02 PM

If CDPR release some kind of next gen enhanced version of Witcher 3 I think I'll finally return to that game.

#3245 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 March 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

If CDPR release some kind of next gen enhanced version of Witcher 3 I think I'll finally return to that game.

It'll get automatically upscaled on a Series X

#3246 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:21 PM

View PostMentalist, on 18 March 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

How many calculations are done per second. Basically how much stuff can get drawn at once, or some such.

Honestly, I stick by assertion that all this high-end stuff will only really matter if you wanna run stuff in 4K. Other than that, both 10.8 and 12.1 are gonna be ridiculously good for 1080p

The dick measuring contest Microsoft and Sony engage in over system specs is really only for the marks out there who go googly-eyed over that sort of thing. "Ohhhh this one has 1,000 more terror plops, so I'm gonna get that instead". Content is king. There isn't really a whole lot of difference when you open the hood. Who has the games and services and user experience is what matters.

#3247 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

View PostMentalist, on 18 March 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 18 March 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

It'll get automatically upscaled on a Series X

Eh, I'm looking for more than just p's and frames.

#3248 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 March 2020 - 08:21 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 18 March 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

The dick measuring contest Microsoft and Sony engage in over system specs is really only for the marks out there who go googly-eyed over that sort of thing. "Ohhhh this one has 1,000 more terror plops, so I'm gonna get that instead". Content is king. There isn't really a whole lot of difference when you open the hood. Who has the games and services and user experience is what matters.

Well, that's my point- the difference shows at super-high resolutions and once you start tweaking various settings you usually see on PC, but consoles hide from users to streamline things.

I have no doubt that the next Rockstar game will be more stable on the XSX on a 4K TV. Because when you get insanely demanding games, the extra power is what gets you the frames.

Will people actually compare them side by side outside of tech enthusiast circles? Probably not.

Content's important, but price is king. After the first few years, publishers will be base their priorities on install bases. And your mainstream games- the Fields of Duty, the annual sports games, the Ubisandbox-will be coming to both platforms regardless.

Sony had a lot of great 1st party output this gen, but they also banked a bunch of 3rd party exclusives by virtue of being the top selling console. And if Microsoft can price the XSX in a sweet spot to close that gap with install base, Sony might not get as many 3rd party deals as it did this gen. And with Ninja theory, Obsidian, etc boosting Microsoft's 1st party lineup, it should be a closer race this time around.

Which would be nice for me, because runaway success for Sony means they're gonna be less inclined to be looking for my PC gamer dollars as an extra revenue stream, :)

#3249 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:27 AM

Been reading some critiques about that PlayStation 5 specs presentation. The silhouettes of the fake audience was an odd choice. I concur most heartily.

#3250 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

If y'all have Steam, you should check out the Festival of Games going on this week. They are hosting demos for over 50 upcoming good-looking games. 6 of those were on my wishlist, so I know what I'm checking out this weekend.

Edit: also R3make demo is out today everywhere, I think.

I already pre-ordered the game when it was 25% off, so I don't need any early tastes.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 19 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

#3251 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

Ps5 backwards compatibility is disspointing. Sony should have stepped in sooner and clarified it would only be PS4 and only some games before excitement built

#3252 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

View PostCause, on 19 March 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Ps5 backwards compatibility is disspointing. Sony should have stepped in sooner and clarified it would only be PS4 and only some games before excitement built

The messaging is confusing AF, but my understanding is that *most, if not all* PS4 games will be playable in the "legacy modes" for either base PS4 or PS4 Pro. And about 100 "most played" titles will be available in the "PS5 boost mode"- so with forward enhancements like better framerate/resolution, etc at launch.

I might be giving them too much credit, but I believe that's what they were aiming at. If they really only make 100 PS4 titles playable on PS5 at launch, then they automatically lose the "people with huge PS4 libraries won't want to migrate to Xbox and start from scratch" argument, and that'd be beyond moronic- esp since GamePass means a good chunk of those libraries will be at their fingertips for 10-20 bucks a month anyway.

#3253 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:16 PM

Really bad form on Sony's part. Games going back to original PlayStation should be available. Point to MS. Hopefully Sony will rectify that.

#3254 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 March 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

Really bad form on Sony's part. Games going back to original PlayStation should be available. Point to MS. Hopefully Sony will rectify that.

In theory yes. But be honest with yourselves. While it’s fantastic to have the option of playing old games (and that is certainly good on MS), how many backwards compatible games do you really play on your newest system? It tends to be one of those ‘nice to have but rarely used’ features, and would not be a dealbreaker for me or, I suspect, many others.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#3255 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:44 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 19 March 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

In theory yes. But be honest with yourselves. While it’s fantastic to have the option of playing old games (and that is certainly good on MS), how many backwards compatible games do you really play on your newest system? It tends to be one of those ‘nice to have but rarely used’ features, and would not be a dealbreaker for me or, I suspect, many others.

Iirc, Microsoft shared numbers on people playing BC games, and they were significant.

There are also arguments about game preservation and making more games available for people who are just getting their first system.

It's not gonna be a huge disaster, but PS4 has a ton of cool games that *might* get wiped off the PS5 ecosystem.

For people who invested money into the PS4 and intended to trade it in to better afford the PS5, the value proposition does go down.

Retro games are important. The fact that GOG was able to carve out a niche for itself is ample proof of that. With consoles becoming more and more like PCs, the same rules apply more and more.

#3256 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

View PostMentalist, on 19 March 2020 - 09:44 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 19 March 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

Iirc, Microsoft shared numbers on people playing BC games, and they were significant.

There are also arguments about game preservation and making more games available for people who are just getting their first system.

It's not gonna be a huge disaster, but PS4 has a ton of cool games that *might* get wiped off the PS5 ecosystem.

For people who invested money into the PS4 and intended to trade it in to better afford the PS5, the value proposition does go down.

Retro games are important. The fact that GOG was able to carve out a niche for itself is ample proof of that. With consoles becoming more and more like PCs, the same rules apply more and more.

I think you misunderstand what I’m saying. I’m not arguing that old games don’t matter or that you shouldn’t be able to play them if you want, I’m saying that ultimately, that won’t be the reason why one console would succeed and another fail (if either indeed do fail). As a historian and an avid collector and player of older games, I am all for backwards compatibility. However, this is also very different to game preservation, which you mention, depending on what is meant by BC. Something being available digitally on your new system does not ensure or confirm its preservation, or that it is even preserved wholly in its original form (graphics, controls, audio, even loading times) - again, though, this latter point is important only to a really really tiny number of people.

#3257 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:20 PM

What we might say that the success of something like GOG shows is that people BUY old games, though not necessarily that they also PLAY them (as extensively as they buy them). And that is where the consoles’ interest in making older games available on your new system really lies - in selling those older games to you, rather than in making sure you can still play the ones you already own. Hence, you could argue that it is an additional revenue stream (again, because people buy more than they play) for the consoles, but that additional revenue stream comes not from people deciding to buy a console in order to still play the games they already own, but because they subsequently decide to buy older games which they do not own.

#3258 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Just started the second mission in DOOM: Eternal. This game is awesome. You move so fast! And like the first game it's all about getting right up in the face of the demons and tearing them to pieces.

There's a ton of new lore and upgrade systems to delve into. So much to explore and discover.

#3259 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

After work (5pm sharp finish whether IT have called me or not) I am downloading the Trials of Mana demo. Hearing lots of good things about it so far which is mega because Seiken Densetsu 3 is in my top 5 all time games. If this game lives up to what I have heard I will be fucking thrilled.

The downside is if it fails me... It becomes Stormbad 2.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3260 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 20 March 2020 - 12:49 AM, said:

I just want to be able to plug in my seagate and play all these late PS4 buys with no problems on PS5.

Hope it’s that easy anyway.

Sony's not clarifying, so major gaming news outlets are all interpreting the PS Blog to say "100 games compatible at launch, with more to come"

Which is a pretty bad look, tbh.

EDIT: oh hey, they did clarify it. Good. "most of the thousands of PS4 games should be playable. Close to top 100 most played games should be able to take advantage of PS5's extra power and boost performance at launch"

Good for Sony; would've been moronic if they didn't do this.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 20 March 2020 - 07:11 PM

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users