• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apsalar/Cotillion. GotMism?

#41 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:37 AM

on my read on GotM im sure that sorry was torturing those guys for information, not just for kicks and giggles, do any of you think dancer would have any hesitation torturing people for information? WJ was just shocked at how brutal she was considering shes only a teenage girl. admitidly the ball cuttings pretty scary, (reminds me of the south park episode where cartmans scared of the chinease) but if u were the 3rd person in line to get tortured and u just saw that happen to your 2 mates b4 you, youd be pretty forth coming with information. it is efficent, and efficency is what dancer is all about.

As for her using groin attacks afterwards in 7C, shes just using the instincts and skills that dancer gave to her. maybe the guys she killed (gral?) wore armour everwhere but on their nads

what i want to know is how come she doesnt use a garotte like collition/ the ROPE??

View PostD, on 04 August 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

No it isn't. In the english versions he sighs and says "Not even Cotillion." That's literally all he says about it. He doesn't say "Not even Cotillion could do that.", he just says "Not even Cotillion." For all we know he means "Not even Cotillion has feet as small as yours." It could equally mean that Cotillion can't do something as Cotillion hasn't done something, each reader just has to take it their own way.

the thought of ST commenting on cotillions feet made me laugh
rep for you
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostRoldom, on 30 November 2010 - 04:37 AM, said:

on my read on GotM im sure that sorry was torturing those guys for information, not just for kicks and giggles...WJ was just shocked at how brutal she was considering shes only a teenage girl. admitidly the ball cuttings pretty scary, ...As for her using groin attacks afterwards in 7C, shes just using the instincts and skills that dancer gave to her. maybe the guys she killed (gral?) wore armour everwhere but on their nads

what i want to know is how come she doesnt use a garotte like collition/ the ROPE??

Because she's not The Rope. She's a teenage girl who was possessed by the god of surprise-you're-dead! when she was like fourteen and made to do some fairly horrible things and so she acted out by stabbing men (rapists, btw) in the crotch a lot.

Which says quite a few things about SE's view of teenaged girls, but i digress... :) Point being, a confused and possessed teenage girl is given the power of the god of stabby stabby and access to men who thought rape was an acceptable social passtime - no shit she carved their balls off.

As for her choice of weapon, she was a soldier initially, hence, swords and knives. A rope/garrot/whip would have been a wee bit conspicuous. Iirc on Malaz Island she uses shadow as a weapon against the Claw even so.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 November 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

Which says quite a few things about SE's view of teenaged girls, but i digress... :p Point being, a confused and possessed teenage girl is given the power of the god of stabby stabby and access to men who thought rape was an acceptable social passtime - no shit she carved their balls off.

God of stabby-stabby...Excellent - does that mean there is a god of Choppy-Choppy??

#44 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

To be honest, I recall someone (Tattersail) saying that Kalam clearly enjoyed killing, which doesn't really tally with the developed character either.

[/quote]

That could also be her speculating... it's not as if Kalam looks particularly fluffy eh :p and the Bridgeburners are renowned as nasty and cold. I think Fiddler at one point is talking to some new recruits about how legendary the BB were, when in fact most of them were just "evil bastards" or something similar :sofa: Hard, cold, nasty badassess.

So perhaps tattersail is right

there is a bit where Kalam (I think) says he is in the mood to open throats, so... hey, perhaps :p we do get him and Quick in their less youthful, ever insane, but slightly moodier days :D

Dancer in NOK doesn't appear mad, but he does seem very very dangerous. Almost mythically dangerous when Kiska sees him under the throne room. So perhaps its a GOTM-ism and the rest of Sorry's behaviour is what eh would have been like, practical, cold, calculating and an aura of danger

#45 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:56 PM

[/quote]

the thought of ST commenting on cotillions feet made me laugh
rep for you
[/quote]

A) That is legit, seriously of course he was talking of feet :p
:sofa: yeah she shadow dances better than anyone in that moment... passion and love and all that fluffy needy stuff...combined in a sex sandwich of god given death dealing nastiness... However that still doesn't mean she could kill Dancer in a 1v1 :PPPPPPPPP

#46 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostSiergiej, on 04 August 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

I don't know if it's the matter of translation, but the in the polish version of Bonehunters (I don't have the original) Shadowthrone says that even Cotillion couldn't do something like that. And that would really make Apsalar overpowered. There is a lot of insanely strong characters in MBotF, so I don't see the need for Apsalar in that group, but maybe in later novels she will develop in some interesting way.

I wonder if Cotillion couldn't perform such a passionate, tragic and desperate shadow dance to save her friends
But I wonder if Dancer could...

Go with me on this

Cotillion in

SPOILERZZZZZ

Dust of Dreams
Spoiler

who knows

Dancer for president!!!!

This post has been edited by D'rek: 07 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

#47 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

Please use the spoiler tag and mark which books you're spoiling rather than just saying "Spoilers" and leaving it unhidden.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#48 User is offline   Dayspring 

• Nathan Dayspring Grey Summers

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

For future reference, I actually don't know how to use or where the Spoiler tag button thing is?

To refer back to not understanding how anyone could follow Kellanved and Dancer, they both have a very strong moral code and did their damned best to impose the same moral code unto the world. They both don't seem to care what others think about them and don't need any affirmation; that sounds like it'd be very appealing and earn the respect of the people they surrounded themselves with, i.e. Dassem, Tayschrenn, Dujek, Nok. The Crusts and Surly probably latched on early just for K+D's imperialistic, but both Cartheron and Urko "drowned" because of the loyalty they felt towards K+D. There's never been a peep about Kellanved or Dancer abusing their power for personal gain, the Empire and even Ascension has all been paths toward the power to change the world to how they see it (which one can argue is the ultimate personal gain, but at least they weren't swimming in harems and reveling in oppression). I also think Kellanved has been bonkers since the start, part of his appeal. How could you not be insane with that kind of ambition?
Witness

#49 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

Ah. Under "Other styles" near the bottom is the Spoiler tag. You just highlight whatever you want to cover up. Edit button is on the bottom right of any of your old posts. The general rule is don't bother posting spoilers in the first place, but if you think it adds something necessary to the conversation, use the tag.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#50 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostApt, on 27 May 2010 - 08:02 PM, said:

Returning to the Sorry/Apsalar matter. There is cause to think that Sorry's nasty side comes from Apsalar herself and not Cotillion. Consider that she was nothing but a child when Cotillion turned her into a murderer. In a young age that has a terrible toll on the way you develop. She didn't stop being a nasty bitch when the possession ended. In DG when Fid is masquerading as a Gral and Crukus and Aps play married couple, she is seen slicing people up (going for the balls I believe) and leaving her marks to writhe on the ground in pain instead of just dispatching them. Likewise in BH she is shown to inflict pain on one of the henchmen she attacks in the company with Telorast and Curdle. She does it with no regard for the victim.

As for the debate of the way Kel and Dancer ruled the empire. Yes, they were scary bastards for sure that struck fear and awe in their enemies and allies alike, but it's not like they were incompetent or a danger to their own empire. Kelanved was a mad genious. Easily one of the greatest minds in the modern history of this world. Dassem may have been good with armies but Kelanved was good with EVERYTHING. Military, Economy, Religion, Magic, he had everyone by the balls and he had an accomplice in Dancer that was his equal in scheming and strategy and a much more dangerous man in the field. The Old Guard followed the two not just because they were scary but because they were capable. Nobody was better than those two. Perhaps with the exception of Prince Kazz and his Avowed, but then again RCG painted a very strange picture of the Prince.

Indeed, Apsalar may have had a cruel streak all along.

View Postmatc4, on 01 August 2010 - 09:53 AM, said:

I can't remember when or where i read this or even if it actually happenned but i seem to remember Cotillion stating at some point that acted the way he did as Sorry to stop any of the Bridgeburners getting close to her and potentially finding out who she is, as they ordinarilly would have tried to make friends. May have been in HoC at some point but as I said I cannot remember where the scene was.

I recall this as well. In order to ensure she's given a wide berth by her comrades, Cotillion has her act scary enough that they're so terrified of her that they avoid her whenever possible.

View PostKanubis, on 02 August 2010 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostJohnny_Phoenix, on 02 August 2010 - 01:56 PM, said:

On another note about Apsalar, did anyone actually enjoy her as a character? I couldn't stand the bitch after DG. I understand why she turned out the way she did, and I was okay with her development from GotM to the end of DG, but from HoC and onward she just pissed me off. There was nothing interesting about her anymore. Just another cold-blooded, emotionless killer. And I really hated how badass Erikson ended up making her. Better than Kalam is one thing, but being a better assassin than the GOD of assassins is just stupid.

She annoyed me a bit in HoC, but I liked her stuff in BH. I think her lack of emotion and general humanity is meant to stir up feelings of tradegy - that what Cotillion took from her she can never truly get back. I also liked the twist that while the ex-BB Bonehunters were incredibly uneasy around her, Paran, the one man who has every right to distrust her is the only one that she manages to have a decent, warm(ish) conversation with

She's basically my favorite character in the series. I loved the little meeting with Paran, who, despite Apsalar noting that she'd killed him once, is the only one to be comfortable enough around her for her to relax her guard a little.

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 03 August 2010 - 01:40 AM, said:

because she didn't literally stab him in the back. sorry did. the first thing she says to paran after cotillion leaves is, "i killed you, i had your blood on my hands" so he knows. and he's not the kind of guy to hold a grudge against a person used by a god, as he knows all about it. i really enjoyed their little meet up actually

Ganoes Paran is just a cool guy like that and understanding about the whole "life kinda fucked up due to meddling gods" kinds of things.

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 04 August 2010 - 02:07 AM, said:

View PostNikitaDarkstar, on 03 August 2010 - 06:46 PM, said:

View PostJohnny_Phoenix, on 02 August 2010 - 01:56 PM, said:

Better than Kalam is one thing, but being a better assassin than the GOD of assassins is just stupid.

Honestly, thats where I started to hate her. She was interesting in her own way up until that point, but that ruined her. Sure she's good, and better than most I can defently accept, possibly even the best mortal.. but better than the god of assassins? No. Sorry to say it, but even among all the amazinlgy powerful characdters in these books, that just went to far without any sensible explination.

why shouldn't she be at least as good as cotillion? she has his exact same skill set! ST could have easily meant that 'not even cotillion' had ever performed such a shadowdance, not that he couldn't do it. im sure cotillion could have wrapped up the entire island in time for breakfast if he wanted to.

She might have been innately faster than Dancer was, to start with. There's no reason why all his knowledge and experience, dumped into a new body, wouldn't result in at least the same level of terrifying performance at murderizing people.

View PostAbyss, on 30 November 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

View PostRoldom, on 30 November 2010 - 04:37 AM, said:

on my read on GotM im sure that sorry was torturing those guys for information, not just for kicks and giggles...WJ was just shocked at how brutal she was considering shes only a teenage girl. admitidly the ball cuttings pretty scary, ...As for her using groin attacks afterwards in 7C, shes just using the instincts and skills that dancer gave to her. maybe the guys she killed (gral?) wore armour everwhere but on their nads

Because she's not The Rope. She's a teenage girl who was possessed by the god of surprise-you're-dead! when she was like fourteen and made to do some fairly horrible things and so she acted out by stabbing men (rapists, btw) in the crotch a lot.

Which says quite a few things about SE's view of teenaged girls, but i digress... :D Point being, a confused and possessed teenage girl is given the power of the god of stabby stabby and access to men who thought rape was an acceptable social passtime - no shit she carved their balls off.

As for her choice of weapon, she was a soldier initially, hence, swords and knives. A rope/garrot/whip would have been a wee bit conspicuous. Iirc on Malaz Island she uses shadow as a weapon against the Claw even so.

Yeah, the ones in Seven Cities definitely had it coming. Apsalar of great crotch-dicing justice. She ensures that those who refuse to use their genitals responsibly will not get to use them at all.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users