Malazan Empire: what exactly did kallor do way back when ? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what exactly did kallor do way back when ?

#1 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

i assumed he killed 18 million (or was it 7) of people as a sacrifice to himself.
what for ?

i always had a problem with it, especialy after the rotcg book, where i finally was sure that he isnt a mage.
how the hell could he have killed so many way back without full co'operation of thousands ?
in which case, what makes him unique ? there had to be other genocidal assholes like him back then.

i guess what i ask is why did the elder gods single him out for punishment when he was a leader of a
great number of asshole nazis ?

what about other tyrants who had to live back at those times ?

#2 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

i think the standing theory is that heused KCCM superwepons or somesuch. in Moi i reveals knowlege about the workings of the moons spawn, including somthing along the lines of "rake does not know the full power of that fully operationale battlestation!"
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#3 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

View Postharoos, on 06 April 2010 - 01:06 PM, said:

i assumed he killed 18 million (or was it 7) of people as a sacrifice to himself.
what for ?

If he couldn't have his empire, no one could!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

His empire couldn't repel firepower of that magnitude.

#5 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

what for ?

i always had a problem with it, especialy after the rotcg book, where i finally was sure that he isnt a mage.
how the hell could he have killed so many way back without full co'operation of thousands ?
in which case, what makes him unique ? there had to be other genocidal assholes like him back then.

i guess what i ask is why did the elder gods single him out for punishment when he was a leader of a

He killed the 7-12 million people (I think we might actually be given different numbers on this at different points in the series) to spite the 3 Elder Gods coming to punish him. He was able to use the power of those deaths to curse them all in turn. The part where you seem confused is that the Elder gods weren't coming to punish him because he sacrificed an entire continent, but rather their coming prompted him to destroy the continent like a two year old throwing a hissy fit. Kallor was such an asshole tyrant that the 3 Elder gods decided he needed to be put down before the genocide.

As to how he did it we don't know. The K'chain weaponry is as good a guess as any.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#6 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

"the 3 Elder gods decided he needed to be put down before the genocide" ?

that doesn't make much sense, what would delay them ?
what could ?

#7 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

That's the whole point. Kallor was such an evil Tyrant that his subjects decided to pull down the CG to eliminate him. We all know how that went. The Eg then decided that anyone who could cause such a thing had to go. They expected Kallor to fight them but Kallor decided instead to destroy his Empire so that their victory would be a hollow one.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#8 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

They werent delayed. Their reason for taking down Kallor was that he reigned in terror and slaughtered indisciriminately, apparently at a really awful scale. The mages who brought the Crippled God to fight Kallor (and failed miserably) were the last drop. Only the Elder Gods had the power to destroy Kallor and so they went to do it. Sensing that, Kallor ignited his entire empire, killing all his subjects at once. And like the others already pointed out, he did it to throw off the Elder Gods and because no one could have his empire, but he was able to use the power of this continent-wide sacrifice to curse back the three gods.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

View Postharoos, on 06 April 2010 - 05:23 PM, said:

what could ?

BauchelainTE nailed it - The Fall.

The distinct thing about Kallor's Empire as opposed to other, marginally less unhappy empires, was that because of Kallor (indirectly), an entire continent was nuked. s far as we know, that hadn't happened before and that mandated the EGs' involvement.

We don't know exactly how Kallor wiped out his own continent, but it's been hinted that he had access to KC tech that he had spent time studying. The repeated ref to ashes in the Imperial Warren suggests fire or energy was involved.

Also worth pointing out that as Emperor, Kallor would have had his own supply of mages, priests, assistants, scholars, lackeys, peons, thralls, followers, slaves, and other people who would help him make things happen.

- Abyss, wants his own lackeys.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 April 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

View Postharoos, on 06 April 2010 - 05:23 PM, said:

what could ?

BauchelainTE nailed it - The Fall.

The distinct thing about Kallor's Empire as opposed to other, marginally less unhappy empires, was that because of Kallor (indirectly), an entire continent was nuked. s far as we know, that hadn't happened before and that mandated the EGs' involvement.

We don't know exactly how Kallor wiped out his own continent, but it's been hinted that he had access to KC tech that he had spent time studying. The repeated ref to ashes in the Imperial Warren suggests fire or energy was involved.

Also worth pointing out that as Emperor, Kallor would have had his own supply of mages, priests, assistants, scholars, lackeys, peons, thralls, followers, slaves, and other people who would help him make things happen.

- Abyss, wants his own lackeys.

nope, read the prolouge to the third book again.
the fall happened because of kallor, by people who were deperate to stop him.
the gods came to punish him for it.
i have read it several times, and i don't understand what exactly he tried to do or how.
he sits on a throne of bones, and the ciry is burning, but whether it's the aftermath of the fall, or him, i don't know.

draconus hints at his secret desire to ascend, so maybe he enacted a ritual to make him ascendent.
but again, i'm not sure.

#11 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

he enacted a ritual to level his empire and spite the elder gods. thats it.

the fall happened on korelri, kallors empire was on jacuruku. two seperate but nearby continents. the fall happened first and because kallor was the reason the Circle attempted the ritual the three elders went to strike kallor down and free his empire.

kallor sensed them coming and using what was probably k'chain che'malle technology turned the entire continent of jacuruku into a wasteland, killing some 7-12 million people and making korelri and jacuruku fellows in annihilation. then he laughed in the elder gods faces and using the power of all those sacrifices fashioned three powerful curses. cuz he's like that.

am i missing anything?

edit: and there's nothing burning on jacuruku by the time the elders confront kallor. there's just ashes and bones

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 06 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

I've always thought there may have been something else to the sacrifices. Kallor is if nothing else, is a person of amazing presence. He was the most formidable human warrior of his time if you want to believe the hype, and a genious tactician, think the Dassem Ultor of the Elder Times. He conquered an entire continent and was getting ready to crush another... all that without being an ascendant.

I don't find it unlikely that many of the people who were sacrificed on Jacuruku may have died willingly as a sacrifice to their god emperor. I'm sure Kallor would encourage imperial cults if he was so inclined.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

View Postharoos, on 06 April 2010 - 07:10 PM, said:

nope, read the prolouge to the third book again.
the fall happened because of kallor, by people who were deperate to stop him.
the gods came to punish him for it....

Ummm... isn't that what i typed?

Clarification: Kallor's Empire caused the resistance to make the Fall happen.

EG's: "By Tiam's Skanky Bootie, this Kallorian Empire is SO BAD that is made that bunch of idiots nuke themselves and their entire continent. And now we're stuck with this Crippled God guy and his body parts all over the frikkin place. We should do something about this!!! Let's go kick his ass!!!

Kallor's Lackeys: Glorious Emporer! We prophesize that three Elder Gods are coming to kick your ass.

Kallor: We'll just see about that! Mwahahahahahaa.... *pushes big red button labelled 'DO NOT PRESS (except in case of Elder God invasion)'*

EG's: Kallor, you douchebag! You wiped out ANOTHER continent. So we're going to leave you alive but really, really unhappy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

what for ?

While definitely not a mage he does have access to a warren, iirc he used one to escape Tayschrenn in MOI. But like everyone else has said, it has been hinted that he used a KCM weapon to destroy his empire.

#15 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

The magic Kallor used in MoI to knock out Korlat and escape Tay isn't his, it's the CG's. Kallor was calling for the CG's help and the CG heard him. It's more of a priest thing than a mage one.

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 08 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users