• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One question about Prince K'azz

#1 User is offline   Różowy_Słoń 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Hi :p
I wasn't sure whether to post here, or in the GotM section...
Just one, simple question.

In Gardens of the Moon K'azz is apparently alive, not lost. Brood even says 'Let's not get too excited. People will start thinking you're not as
bored with all this as you make out to be. I'm meeting with Prince K'azz.'
Clear situation.

But in the Return of The Crimson Guard we are informed that Prince has disappeared just after Kellanved's conquest(so, many, many years before the Campagin on the Genabackis) and nobody knows where he is.
Is it just another GotMism, or did I miss something?

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Witamy :>

Yes, it looks like just another GotMism. We should make a database of these.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

Actually it's not a Gotism as the K'azz mentioned in GOTM is an impostor. Kallor comments on this in either TTH or perhaps MoI. Presumably one of the CG's pretends to be K'azz so it wont bee known that their leader is missing.

This post has been edited by Urizen: 29 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#4 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

Was it now. Still, it looks more like a sort of a retcon than something that was planned from the start.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#5 User is offline   Różowy_Słoń 

• Recruit

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

Urizen, on 29 March 2010 - 11:09 AM, said:

Actually it's not a Gotism as the K'azz mentioned in GOTM is an impostor. Kallor comments on this in either TTH or perhaps MoI. Presumably one of the CG's pretends to be K'azz so it wont bee known that their leader is missing.

Thanks, I somehow missed this Kallor's remark. However, it still does not seem plausible for me...

"And the Duke disappeared soon after that. So we divided into companies and went our separate ways.'

So, they all(not only Avowed ) knew about it. Is it possible to keep such thing in secret for so many years, with so many spies around? I can hardly believe it.

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

I thought it was Spite who said it when she off hand claimed that some one had been impersonating Kazz?

Miss having any quote fu for Malaz :p

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

tiam, on 29 March 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

I thought it was Spite who said it when she off hand claimed that some one had been impersonating Kazz?

Miss having any quote fu for Malaz Posted Image

Don't think so. There's definitely one of the former commanders of the Genebackan resistance saying/thinking "If the fellow I met really was K'azz at all". Yeah, it's a retcon, but so what? It's not like the (now-fake) K'azz was ever actually seen or had any characterization so I don't see any issue with it. It'd be a different story if, say, it turned out Caladan was revealed as an imposter posing as him in TtH despite everything in GotM/MoI, but we never saw K'azz so it makes no difference.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   borstalboy 

• Recruit

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:52 AM

some character does remark in one of the l8r books about "the man pretendin to be prince k'azz", so by then SE n ICE must've decided on the missin k'azz storyline... but it really doesn't affect the GotM storyline as k'azz doesn't figure in it.

#9 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

its in MoI, korlat mentions something about, "the man who pretended to be K'azz D'avore"
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#10 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Toll the Hounds as well, when the fat human priestess visits the Andiin High Priestess of Darkness. She says quite casually:

"Do you know, when the delegates from the Free Cities came to treat with us, when the Rhivi and the man who pretended to be Prince K'azz D'Avore of the Crimson Guard came to us - they all thought to bargain. To buy our swords, our power."
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

Not helpful, but interesting: I did a quick search of Google Books, and K'azz is mentioned in each of the first 7 books, usually when some character rattles off a list of great military commanders.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#12 User is offline   borstalboy 

• Recruit

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

interestin quotes guys... the quote i remember was from TtH. so SE had hinted bout this as far back as MoI?

Salt-Man Z, on 31 March 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

Not helpful, but interesting: I did a quick search of Google Books, and K'azz is mentioned in each of the first 7 books, usually when some character rattles off a list of great military commanders.

yup, k'azz's name keeps poppin up among the gr8 military commanders... would be nice if we got to see his vaunted strategic skills in some book... the part in RotCG was all about cuttin losses n retreatin...also, there's one flashback to tavore's childhood where she is replayin some old battle as a d'avore prince (not sure if it's k'azz)...

#13 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Różowy_Słoń, on 29 March 2010 - 07:00 PM, said:

Thanks, I somehow missed this Kallor's remark. However, it still does not seem plausible for me...

"And the Duke disappeared soon after that. So we divided into companies and went our separate ways.'

So, they all(not only Avowed ) knew about it. Is it possible to keep such thing in secret for so many years, with so many spies around? I can hardly believe it.

When does it say the Duke disappeared? Because if it was right after the Diaspora then the only soldiers around would have been the Avowed. And they probably didn't want to mention to the soldiers they were recruiting that they didn't know where their leader was...
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#14 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

borstalboy, on 31 March 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

interestin quotes guys... the quote i remember was from TtH. so SE had hinted bout this as far back as MoI?

Salt-Man Z, on 31 March 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

yup, k'azz's name keeps poppin up among the gr8 military commanders... would be nice if we got to see his vaunted strategic skills in some book... the part in RotCG was all about cuttin losses n retreatin...also, there's one flashback to tavore's childhood where she is replayin some old battle as a d'avore prince (not sure if it's k'azz)...

It's not K'azz. Some other Duke D'Avore.

WhiskeyJackDaniels, on 31 March 2010 - 10:39 PM, said:

Różowy_Słoń, on 29 March 2010 - 07:00 PM, said:

When does it say the Duke disappeared? Because if it was right after the Diaspora then the only soldiers around would have been the Avowed. And they probably didn't want to mention to the soldiers they were recruiting that they didn't know where their leader was...

It says he disappeared while they were resisting the malazan invasion of Stratem. That'd be while they were still recruiting soldiers for the 1st Investiture, most likely. The Diaspora would begin very shortly thereafter.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users