Malazan Empire: Abyss just finished CHANGES (and had to go change his briefs...) - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abyss just finished CHANGES (and had to go change his briefs...) SPOILERS SPOILERS no blocks just SPOILERS

#81 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Changes, UK Hardcover, p291:

I took a long, deep breath and said, "Keep an eye out. I've got to pull off something hard here."

Words to live by. :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#82 User is offline   Durhang 

• Lost Lurker

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Who shot Harry?

Kincaid comes to mind, but it feels wrong, for one thing... head shot. Clean and simple, Kincaid would just end it, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Also it adds a nice balance, that no matter how bad ass Harry is... the unexpected sniper, as with this book pointing out.

Lara or Marcone seem too intelligent and patient, the only reason I could see it being them is as a reminder their faction is not so nice. Dont get complacent keeping enemies close and such. But still doesn't seem right. Though this makes no sense from an in character perspective.

I would not be surprised if it were someone on the White/Black Council, someone like Peabody, less about using overt magic means and more mundane attempts. I could see the White Council now having the threat of the Red Court gone, while thrilled with Harry winning the war, unable to keep someone so dangerous around. Better to off him and blame some straggling Red human agents, making it all the more reasonable to use mundane methods. After all, he can be glorified as a hero safely in death, and then his name used to further the agendas of others. He is a powerful enemy, but a useful martyr for the Blacks.

So if when he survives, there will be all manner of smear campaigns and propaganda against him as the cloak and dagger stuff begins to intensify between Black and Grey. There might be some more direct confrontations between Harry and the White Council, but some other story arch will be the primary, with the background stuff being Councils' private wars. The ultimate result will be either the White or Grey Council will fall (sort of.) Either Ebenezer or Arty are going to die in some major way. So either the White Council falls fully into the Black Council's puppetry (up and into the point of an overt purge/schism,) or the Grey Council shatters with the fall of Ebenezer and Harry takes up the mantle (as head of the council and possibly new Black Staff.)

Perhaps they cannot execute Harry out right, he did kill the Red Court after all, but after the work of the propaganda machine and the Black Council gaining nigh full control of the White Council.... Harry is going to be out. Not just as a pariah, but they will probably nail him on some charge, having fully slandered his reputation and painted him as such a horrible and dangerous person. Fortunately/unfortunately he is now a member of another faction of the Unseelie Accords, so the Council is able to declare him persona non-grata and oust him and his threat to their powerbase from within. His divided membership will either be aiding them in damning him, or turn out to save him from their damning (or both in some clever way.)

That or someone close to him did it for some complicated reason to 'save' him, which we wont fully understand or appreciate till much later. (Maybe the Archive. She has a crazy chess mind after all, and influenced by Harry, may be not so neutral now. And it would explain why if Kincaid did it, it didnt just -end- Harry completely.)

#83 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

Everyone is expecting Harry to come back. What if he doesn't? How would the series look with Harry as martyr, who would come to the forefront? Would Butcher do it?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#84 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

[quote name='Sombra' date='20 May 2010 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1274362932' post='763466']
Changes, UK Hardcover, p291:
I took a long, deep breath and said, "Keep an eye out. I've got to pull off something hard here."
Words to live by.
[/quote]

And then he fucks gravity and crushes a few hundred feral vamps.
i SO loved that bit.

[quote name='Durhang' date='27 May 2010 - 04:37 AM' timestamp='1274949450' post='765939']
Who shot Harry?

Kincaid ... [/quote]

I tend to agree with you that it'[s almost too obvious. Earlier Harry muses specifically about Kincaid telling him how he would kill Harry, and iirc back in whatever book, sniper shot was what kincaid suggested. It's just too easy, but it might suggest whoever it was has sniper training.

[quote] Lara [/quote]

agreed again. not her style and Harry is too useful as an ally.

[quote] Marcone [/quote]

Same thing. on some sick level i think Dresden and Marcone actually like each other. ok, like is strong... 'respect', in the sense that you respect a great white but are still going to fatally spear the fucker if it gets too close.

[quote] I would not be surprised if it were someone on the White/Black Council, ... [/quote

On the WC side you could see certain cranky members trying to take out a wild card or a rival, but it seems too pat. Except where they are also Black Council. we've speculated endlessly that Dumorne or Margaret may be on/behind the BC, but i tend to think they would be looking to corrupt/subvert/recruit Harry rather than kill him. Unless of course him going Winter Knight means he's out of reach now.

On the other hand, someone's been trying to kill Harry with mundane methods for 4 or so books now, redating the Winter Knight thing, so there likely isn't a connection there.

Altho upthread we discussed Fix going pre-emptive. but similarly i don't think so.

[quote] Maybe the Archive. ...[/quote]

Naaah. :rofl:

But having removed all the obvious suspects...

I dunno.. Charity might want Harry the hell away from her daughter but the whole saved their lives multiple times thing argues against her.

The PI guy from TURNCOAT... i can't see it. Not enough development.

Molly's ex. Nah. Guy was a dick but not a sniper.

Oh, who are we kidding... it's obviously Mister. We all know cats are born snipers.

[quote name='jitsukerr' date='27 May 2010 - 09:21 AM' timestamp='1274966476' post='766037']
Everyone is expecting Harry to come back. What if he doesn't? How would the series look with Harry as martyr, who would come to the forefront? Would Butcher do it?
[/quote]

Nope.

But based on BACKUP, i think Butcher could carry a series with any number of his supporting characters as lead.

- Abyss, eagerly anticipates The Mister Files.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#85 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Check it out

it might need its own thread

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_1
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#86 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

I have been waiting for Side Jobs for a year now, I think. Ever since Vaiski told us about it. Much better than having to buy all those other compilations just to read one Dresden short story.

#87 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

I like that it will have a story that takes place after Changes...

i r intrigued
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#88 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

esp since for the most part, aside from the drescrack, the compilations sucked.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#89 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

View PostAbyss, on 27 May 2010 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostDurhang, on 27 May 2010 - 08:37 AM, said:

Who shot Harry?

Kincaid ...

I tend to agree with you that it'[s almost too obvious. Earlier Harry muses specifically about Kincaid telling him how he would kill Harry, and iirc back in whatever book, sniper shot was what kincaid suggested. It's just too easy, but it might suggest whoever it was has sniper training.

Crazy idea for you to check out - who else was in the room or nearby when Harry and Kincaid had that conversation?

On the other hand, someone's been trying to kill Harry with mundane methods for 4 or so books now, predating the Winter Knight thing, so there likely isn't a connection there.

Why not? Maybe whomever it was had all sorts of surveillance out as his usual haunts and caught a break? Where was he when he got shot again? On Thomas' boat - which wasn't exactly a super-secret hideout these days.

I like the "oncoming train" reference though. A boat may have a siren/horn that sounds similar.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#90 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

don't have much time for indepth post but absolutely loved this series so far, how am gonna survive until the next book is out... god help me!

things running around the noggin... all just speculating/theorizing

Harry's Sanctum - what the hell is it/whats the roll Eb was referring to/whats with Gate Keeper and Demonreach? Why name suitable? All theorys?

Harry's Birth - why so special? anymore family hiding out there? - Dont reckon there will be but sure we will be seeing more of his mother one way or the other

Who shot ya - i keep thinking it's not a bad guy that got him but someone helping Harry, either to help him getting out of been winter knight or on his next step to badassnass! Preparing him... - abit extreme i know but... anyways... In one of the earlier books someone lists a load of emotions/experiences Harry is going to go through ie, sorrow, joy, despair, hope etc and in the middle is dumped "death", then another few emotions etc, makes me think someone has got some tasty info on whats going to happen to him but off top of me heed cant think who it was... mebbe Nico?

Winter Knight upgrade - was a let down for me, imagined Harry to go Superman style not just slight upgrade, but guess give him time! Dunno though... reckon after his "death" will he be stuck been winter night or whether slate will be wiped clean if he "resurrects"!

Womens Voice - anyone speculating on the voice heard by Harry at the end - the womens? mother maybe with another whole get up?

Outta time, sure more to follow! Thoughts just a jumble after mad day at work, sure there was a whole lot more to mention... oh well =d

This post has been edited by champooon: 07 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#91 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

I had a thought about Harry's lab. I noticed that Butcher took the time to describe some of the upgraded Harry did to it, but sortly thereafter, boom! I wonder what the point was, highten the feeling of loss, throw the more intuitive among us off the track?

Any thoughts?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users