Malazan Empire: Abyss just finished CHANGES (and had to go change his briefs...) - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abyss just finished CHANGES (and had to go change his briefs...) SPOILERS SPOILERS no blocks just SPOILERS

#61 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

I got the sense from the Archive by way of Kincaid scene that Ivy did not want to risk influencing Harry. There might be a prophecy or something to the same effect about Harry. In the "Apocalyptic Trilogy" somewhere down the line he will probably be a key player (or THE key player), and he might have to mature in certain ways for that to happen - not all of them nice. So after selling his freedom to a Queen of Faerie and using his ex-lover/mother of his child in a blood sacrifice he might be in for some Darth Vader storylines as pointed out in earlier posts. Uriel hinted that there will be a way back.

#62 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hmmm... he's a White Council wizard, has a White Court vamp for a half-brother, a child by a Red Court demi-vamp, a dormant/cut link to a Denarian, a power link to an Archangel, an empathic link to an island that may be some form of demon, and he's now linked by power to the Fae.

I'm wondering this is leading to a Harry in some sort of 'Unite All Forces' role. He's got the werewolves covered, so we just need the Jade Court and maybe a dragon.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#63 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2010 - 07:58 PM, said:

Hmmm... he's a White Council wizard, has a White Court vamp for a half-brother, a child by a Red Court demi-vamp, a dormant/cut link to a Denarian, a power link to an Archangel, an empathic link to an island that may be some form of demon, and he's now linked by power to the Fae.

I'm wondering this is leading to a Harry in some sort of 'Unite All Forces' role. He's got the werewolves covered, so we just need the Jade Court and maybe a dragon.

Not to mention he's on moderate terms with Odin, and has of course already MET a dragon.

And Jim has stated (via Lea if memory serves) that there are far more ramifications from that party still to come.
meh. Link was dead :(

#64 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

He met THE dragon, and subsequently insulted it to the point of almost losing his life I seem to remember. Hardly the most promising of alliances.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#65 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:25 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 April 2010 - 12:22 AM, said:

He met THE dragon, and subsequently insulted it to the point of almost losing his life I seem to remember. Hardly the most promising of alliances.

yeah, and no one's ever resisted a denarian either. :thumbsup:

Michael killed another dragon. Was it stated somewhere that there is only one left?

#66 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

It was stated that Michael killed a dragon, whereas the guy Dresden met was THE Dragon. The god of dragon-kind or something like that.

I believe Butcher states so specifically on his forum.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#67 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:52 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 April 2010 - 04:42 PM, said:

It was stated that Michael killed a dragon, whereas the guy Dresden met was THE Dragon. The god of dragon-kind or something like that.

I believe Butcher states so specifically on his forum.

Actually in a fairly nice QnA that goes through a lot of stuff...even if Butcher mostly evades making real answers.

http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=22804

Also fairly much states that Dresden is dead...but not the least what it means :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Chance: 18 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

#68 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

View PostChance, on 18 April 2010 - 01:52 AM, said:

Also fairly much states that Dresden is dead...but not the least what it means :thumbsup:

Considering the title is Ghost Story, it leads to the rather obvious possibility of Harry being said ghost, telling the story. At least it does in my mind.
meh. Link was dead :(

#69 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

View PostChance, on 18 April 2010 - 01:52 AM, said:

Actually in a fairly nice QnA that goes through a lot of stuff...even if Butcher mostly evades making real answers.

http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=22804

Also fairly much states that Dresden is dead...but not the least what it means :rolleyes:

Yep couple (cagey) answers to theories seen here,

Comment by JIM BUTCHER — April 14, 2010 @ 3:07 pm said:

“Does Dresden’s current condition mean that the Knights power has flowed back to Mab?”

That’s one of those questions that will be more fun to answer in the book. :p

But merely being dead does /not/ necessarily get you out of promises to Mab all by itself. I mean, come on. Like she’s never heard THAT lame excuse before… :p]“Does Dresden’s current condition mean that the Knights power has flowed back to Mab?”

That’s one of those questions that will be more fun to answer in the book. :p

But merely being dead does /not/ necessarily get you out of promises to Mab all by itself. I mean, come on. Like she’s never heard THAT lame excuse before… :p

And

Comment by ANSWERS FROM - JIM BUTCHER — April 14, 2010 @ 1:43 pm said:

“Could a single mortal vessel be the Knight for both winter and summer?”

Very. Briefly.

Matter and anti-matter reactions come to mind. :D

And also two dragon-related answers:

Comment by ANSWERS FROM - JIM BUTCHER — April 14, 2010 @ 1:36 pm said:

“Was Sirothrax a major dragon like Ferrovax or a minor dragon?”

He was the real deal, though he was in some ways the weakest of the remaining great dragons.

Ferrovax wouldn’t have given a damn about some nobody minor dragon being slain. :thumbsup:

Comment by ANSWERS FROM - JIM BUTCHER — April 14, 2010 @ 2:01 pm said:

“Is the Eldest gruff ever going to make another appearance? And in a match of Him and Lea vs Ferrovax, who would you bet on?”

Ferrovax would crush them both, if they had time to get ready, got to pick the time and place, and pulled out every resource at their disposal. It would be brief and brutal, like watching Tyson in his prime, when the fights were all 30 seconds long, except replacing his opponent with a 15 year old blind girl.

There’s just no comparison, there. Lea and Elder gruff are deadly beings. But Ferrovax is a force of nature. MAB would be loathe to take on Ferro, at least head-on.

And lastly, regarding Aftermath:

Comment by ANSWERS FROM - JIM BUTCHER — April 14, 2010 @ 1:27 pm said:

“In most, if not all of the previous short stories/novellas you could easily miss them without missing anything in the main books, will this hold true for Aftermath? Yes I am trying to gauge how important the story is so that I can speculate on what will happen in Ghost Story:)”

If you read “Aftermath” it should reduce some of the system shock that’s going to happen in Ghost Story.

The events of Changes… well, /changed/ /everything/ in the story world. You get to see the first of many, many dominoes starting to fall in “Aftermath.” Pay attention to Will. He might be nearsighted, but he’s got great vision for the big picture.

This post has been edited by vaiski: 18 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

#70 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

If Dresden stops being the main character I'm going to pitch a fucking fit that would rival a 5 year old's meanest of temper tantrums.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#71 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Don't forget he's The Blackstaff's grandchild and keeper of 2 of the swords.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#72 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 07 May 2010 - 06:32 PM, said:

Don't forget he's The Blackstaff's grandchild and keeper of 2 of the swords.

i'm not quite sure if being McCoys grandchild makes any difference in the power stakes, nor the political ones. very few ppl are aware of the relationship there, and i don't think magical aptitude is passed along the family line in the same way talent is, and its already been stated that its a maternal thing anyway.

as regards the swords, well, murph does seem a cert to take one up, especially after the events of changes, and tbh, not sure what will happen to the other one unless harry finds some long lost king/emperor.although thats kinda moot anyway, cos i see ur point, whoever has the swords is generally gonna be on good terms with harry. hmm, interesting...

Marcy Marc, really really in love with this, wud be great if it was used in the books :bs:

#73 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Something nagged at me when reading the convo between Dresden and McCoy after the "I'm your grandfather" revelation. I'm beginning to wonder if McCoy had a brief fling with one of the Winter Court which resulted in Margaret LeFay being born, and she chose the mortal route instead of becoming a full fae. It might explain how she had so many dealings with the fae and still stayed alive, plus her knowledge of the Ways. It might also make Dresden much more receptive to the power of the Winter Knight explaining why Mab was so adament he take up the mantle.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#74 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

View PostAnomander, on 11 May 2010 - 04:03 PM, said:

Something nagged at me when reading the convo between Dresden and McCoy after the "I'm your grandfather" revelation. I'm beginning to wonder if McCoy had a brief fling with one of the Winter Court...

Interesting theory, since we don't know who Marg's mother is. Up til now her she's been described as power hungry and fond of dealing with non-humans (and arguably a big skanky ho, but i digress), but that's not unthinkable at all. There's never been any suggestion that Harry has any Fae blood, but then that doesn't mean anything.

Y'know, they have never quite explained how the Leansidhe became his godmother... and there's a thin line from godmother to grandmother...

#75 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 May 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

Y'know, they have never quite explained how the Leansidhe became his godmother... and there's a thin line from godmother to grandmother...

The thought had occurred to me as well, especially once it was revealed just how much she's been protecting Harry over the years. Up until now she's come across as mostly manipulative but she seems to genuinely care about him, a bit more than would be necessary in order to fulfill her portion of the pact with Margaret LeFay.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#76 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 May 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

Y'know, they have never quite explained how the Leansidhe became his godmother.

Isn't it mentioned in one of the earlier books? Lea bargains, in particular it mentions inspiring artists etc. Anyway, Dresden made a deal with her, for the power to kill Justin, and she took some of his blood, and became his godmother/protector.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#77 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Now I can't find that damn Q&A but didn't it state that his grandmother was a regular human.

#78 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

I was relatively sure it's been explained as Dresden's mom cut a deal with Lea, but i'm doubting my recall and of course the information could be misleading.

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Btw, CHANGES made #1 on the NYT Bestseller list back in April. Nice!

- Abyss, bestbuyer.

#80 User is offline   Animace 

• Corporal

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Im a dirty, dirty man. Or just human.

All this talk of deals, and Lea and a young Maggie LeFay making a deal, brings to my mind the manner in which Harry and Mab made their deal.

Ah the minds eye, such a pleasing thing.
We woke up one morning, and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death, I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users