• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

#61 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

admittedly, book 1 of the sage is somewhat weak in comparison, and the one I read least times (only 7, I think). and yeah, stuff from Sword of Destiny is quite important. Books 2 and 3 are my personal favourites, but the series does pick up later, at least IMO.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#62 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hmm, interesting. I think I'll give both books a shot and see what happens.

In any case, if you don't mind the word of a zealot, they're great.

Speaking as a 40k, Star Wars, Malazan zelot myself, I have no problem taking your word for it.

Also, this might be a dumb question but still ... when do the games happen in relation to the book series? I haven't played the first game so The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is my intro into this setting.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#63 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

frist game starts some time after the saga ends. it's not really canon either, iirc, regarding the story. but I could be wrong.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#64 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

I know Triss Merigold is supposed to have some scars or whatnot on her chest - I know this because some people got annoyed when the CGI model and then the live model lacked those scars. Btw that ad campaign amused me greatly - more so when I realized I had a ton of pics of the live model.

#65 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

View PostGothos, on 09 May 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

admittedly, book 1 of the sage is somewhat weak in comparison, and the one I read least times (only 7, I think). and yeah, stuff from Sword of Destiny is quite important. Books 2 and 3 are my personal favourites, but the series does pick up later, at least IMO.

It wasn't that I disliked the book as such - though it did seem a bit plodding - but the translation was absolutely terrible. Worth skipping for that reason alone, it has to have been a different translator.

#66 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostGarak, on 09 May 2011 - 11:23 AM, said:

I know Triss Merigold is supposed to have some scars or whatnot on her chest - I know this because some people got annoyed when the CGI model and then the live model lacked those scars. Btw that ad campaign amused me greatly - more so when I realized I had a ton of pics of the live model.

yeah in the books she's specifically stated to NEVER showing cleavage due to battle scars from the first war with Nilfgaard.

#67 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Apparently she got better.

#68 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

she's a sorceress. in the Witcher-world, they are all powerful.

Hell, Blood of the Elves goes in HUGE detail about how pretty much all sorceresses were generally fairly unattractive by nature, but could use magic to make themselves look uber-hawt.

so, i'm not surprised that Triss magicked the scars away.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#69 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

TW2 on GOG not only comes with a free game, but for EU buyers, a $16 GOG voucher to spend as you like to make up for the fact that we pay more for games than Americans. I love these people.

#70 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

want this SOOO much.

but I've only got an integrated Intel Videocard.

#71 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

New Story Trailer:

http://www.dailymoti...ames#from=embed

#72 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

Oooh, nice. This is shaping into something really epic.

#73 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'll be able to launch my CE on monday.
Ha.

I'm not watching any more videos now. We'll see how the game defends itself!

#74 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

View PostGothos, on 14 May 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

I'll be able to launch my CE on monday.
Ha.

I'm not watching any more videos now. We'll see how the game defends itself!

I'll eagerly await your assessment, Gothos. :D

And even better, I'll be finished with assignments and crap *just* in time for LA Noire and this. :D

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#75 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

I bought it.

have HUGE doubts it'll run on my current rig, but I want to support CDPRed and GOG.

#76 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 11 May 2011 - 10:36 AM, said:

TW2 on GOG not only comes with a free game, but for EU buyers, a $16 GOG voucher to spend as you like to make up for the fact that we pay more for games than Americans. I love these people.

...and I didn't get the voucher because I live in the UK. I should have guessed from the fact that I was priced in dollars, but the site just said "for those in the EU". We're in the EU. I gave up my physical goodies for one free GOG game, and the GOG version was actually £2 more expensive than the Play.com one. :D Not happy at my exam-time brain drain here. Still, picked up Realms of Arcania 1+2 in the free game deal, from the looks of them they might entrance me even more than TW2 will.

#77 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'll only buy this if it has sexcards to collect.

#78 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

View PostRhand, on 16 May 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

I'll only buy this if it has sexcards to collect.

they moved on to softcore mini-vids instead.

#79 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

As long as they're not censored it's fine by me. Too bad Shani won't be appearing :(

#80 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

ESRB:

This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of Geralt, a monster slayer who must hunt down an assassin to clear his own name. As players complete quests, they use swords and magic spells to kill enemy soldiers and fantastical creatures (e.g., specters, harpies, spider-like monsters) in melee-style combat; attacks are often accompanied by slashing sounds and screams of pain. Blood-splatter effects occur when enemies are hit, and damage sometimes results in dismemberment or decapitation—blood stains and body parts occasionally appear in the environment. Other cutscenes depict gore and more intense acts of violence: a close-up view of a severed head; a restrained woman's eyes getting gouged out (off-screen); a character being castrated (not depicted) before his throat is slit. During the course of the game, some female characters are depicted topless; there is also a fleeting image of pubic hair as a woman dives into the water. Players can initiate brief cutscene sequences that depict varying degrees of sexual activity: a topless woman rocking on top of man; a man caressing a woman's back; a man pushing up against a woman's posterior—sexual moaning sounds can be heard, though the camera cuts away from explicit sexual acts. Some sequences depict a cocaine-like substance being cut into lines; another scene shows a man's back as he snorts the substance. Language such as 'f**k,' 'sh*t,' and 'c*nt' can be heard in the dialogue.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users