• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

#101 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

Well worst case (if you're in to it just for the story) you could watch some LP's or find the god cheat/trainer which would let you enjoy the game and not worry about the combat.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#102 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

I don't cheat in games, at least not since finishing primary school. That's just a waste.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#103 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Got through most of the tutorial (far I know ;P) but it dosen't seem amazingly hard so far. It is somewhat annoying when you cannot run one or another after attacking.

I need a bow or something to soften some targets up before I go in there.

The miniboss duke guy was easy. fighting 2+ 'normals' at once is not.

(edit - on medium btw, one level above easy)

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 18 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#104 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostObdigore, on 18 May 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

The miniboss duke guy was easy. fighting 2+ 'normals' at once is not.

This, yes. It's a major beef for me.

Then again, wait for Endriaga Queens (unless the patch nerfed them).
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#105 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Please use spoiler tags if you're going into story details.

#106 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

Well, this time got through the dragon on the second try.

the courtyard fight with 6 guys is killing me though. because the dodge controls are fucking horrible.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#107 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

View PostMentalist, on 18 May 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Well, this time got through the dragon on the second try.

the courtyard fight with 6 guys is killing me though. because the dodge controls are fucking horrible.

I don't think they are 'horrible', there is a 'realistic' pause which makes it problematic to move after attacking/defending...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#108 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

OK, so the patch seems to have changed balance a lot. I love this game again. I want it to have my babies.
Finished Act I. Saying pretty much anything would be spoilers.

#109 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

View PostGothos, on 18 May 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

OK, so the patch seems to have changed balance a lot.

This. Today's try was much, much better. Geralt still moves a bit too much forward with each swing for my liking, which makes fighting groups really tricky especially since walking backwards a step and parrying at the same time is apparently not done in Geralt-world. My usual strategy of slowly retreating and keeping them all in front of me therefore just doesn't really work here, which means going round the sides of groups and attacking the outermost dudes, which means you pull new guys in if you're unlucky.

Fighting multiples is quite tough. The dragon scene - after my first try through the hoardings where my allies didn't go (didn't end well as there are enemies there) I did it real slow, stayed behind the king. Sure, you take some more fire damage, but it made the opponents only come in ones and twos, and they often attacked the king or the special forces dude, allowing me to pick them off.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#110 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

after reading the manual, going back, and taking some potions, the 6-guy fight at the end of the monastery was doable. from 3rd try, I think.

I don't lke how you can't use potions on the fly, though.

QTEs still need to die, I think--but, once I saw what the hell I had to do, it was much smoother.

Got to Flotsam, as of the end of today. digging the stealth mechanic, though that also took some time to master.

overall, this game has a serious learning curve issue. aside from that, it is excellent.

#111 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

about the patch: is that the day 0 patch, or was there another one?
because the GOG version came with the "pre-launch patcher".

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 19 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

#112 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

I mean that patch Apt linked upthread. Dunno if GoG came already with it.

@Tapper - after finishing Act I, from my experience the toughest fights were... pairs of ghosts in the abandoned hospital (side quest, no spoilers really). About the dragon scene, I tried taking it slow at first, but I ended up being roasted by the dragon as he burned down the wooden thingies (hurdycje in pl version :D). And his dragon fire took away half my hp each hit. So I had to move forward rather quickly.

Also, have you noticed that enemies have a hard time staying focused on other characters? As soon as I take a single swing, most of them change targets to me. It's... a tad annoying.

One note on the foul language: the game is being very faithful to the setting and the books. It's just how it rolls. I imagine the translation can't perfectly show the right feeling, but I might try the english language pack at some point.

Spoilers for the Prologue's ending:
Spoiler

Now for a spoilered section for the ending of Act I (BIG SPOILERS):
Spoiler

#113 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

View PostGothos, on 19 May 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

I mean that patch Apt linked upthread. Dunno if GoG came already with it.

@Tapper - after finishing Act I, from my experience the toughest fights were... pairs of ghosts in the abandoned hospital (side quest, no spoilers really). About the dragon scene, I tried taking it slow at first, but I ended up being roasted by the dragon as he burned down the wooden thingies (hurdycje in pl version :D). And his dragon fire took away half my hp each hit. So I had to move forward rather quickly.

Ah. For some reason or other, I found the fire has a sort of a pattern, it flares up and then 'jumps' but you can time this sometimes. I managed to get through pretty well, got lucky, I guess. And the little time you get before they turn on you, is enough to take out one guy, from there, it is fairly easy as they arrive at different speeds, give you time to maneuver :D The luxury perhaps of having NPCs by your side :D
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#114 User is offline   Euler 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Skiing, Reading, Video games, Gym, Nature, Science...

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

about the combat thing, yeah it was hard in the start but once you get further into the game it gets way easy to deal with huge groups of mobs... uppgrade that telekinetic sign to lvl 3 and poof all enemies fly everywhere :D

I did go the sword route in talents but I would think alchemy or magery is way more powerful.

#115 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

At least just as desirable. The first game had some problems with different trees - you could pretty much ignore all signs except for Igni and Aard, not all that much good in Intellect either. This now, it's a real choice, and all trees are viable, from what I've seen of them. I also find it awesome that the 'upgrade' of a skill really buffs it up significantly (like Unkillable; +50 hp and 5% reduction lvl 1, +150 hp and 15% reduction lvl 2).

#116 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Ok bought this last night. Had a few issues registering and am still unable to download the DLC.

Currently have only played 1 part of the prologue (I chose the bottom one out of the four first, wish I hadn't as I was confused as hell at first). But my first impressions...
  • Graphics are amazing, my recommended setting was high so I stuck with that. I always have FRAPS running when I play games and am getting a pretty consistent 35fps which I can live with. I tried turning it to medium settings but it actually ran slower Posted Image
  • Am not loving the fact that you can't invert the Y-axis yet. I know there supposed to be patching it but I find it very difficult cause I've played games with inverted Y since literally forever. it makes combat extra tricky...
  • Combat - I read a lot of what you guys said and I totally understand your frustrations, I died so many times to start with. I found that most of the fights I won were down to pure luck. I was trying to apply the same rules as I used in the first Witcher game where the sword owned and you didn't really need to use anything else accept a potion here or there. In this game you literally have to use everything in your disposal...traps, bombs, potions, signs and swords. In the harder fights I found I had to use all of these, which actually makes me like this game more for it. You have to actually plan the battles and you're not some uber warrior who can take on 20 foes at once and not get a scratch i.e. dragon age.

Like I said have only played a small part so far and I'm enjoying it immensely. I intend on shutting myself away for the entire weekend and having a good crack at this.

p.s. got the collectors edition...most of the stuff in there is crap...like what am I supposed to do with a small plastic coin??? Posted Image

#117 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

anyone try the Troll Trouble DLC?

apparently, CDPRed is swamped with support issues right now. there's a major patch coming early next week.

I haven't put in a lot of time into the game in the last few days. tbh, I find the English voice acting off-putting after the superbly done Russian in the original. the tone is just drastically different. though I have no complaints about the game as a whole--just starting to explore the forests round flotsam, picking up jobs.

#118 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Arh I love this game! I do. but I've spent the better half of the entire day trying to kill
Spoiler
I managed the first one after an hour or 2.. the second one is proving somewhat more troublesom. I'm only level 7 or so. what is average level do you guys think? killing mobs isnt all that effective. get like 6 exp a kill. doesnt seem fair haha and most the quests seem like I need to be atleast 5 levels higher.

EDIT: Finally beat it! wooooo! well that is what I like. even though it takes so long and makes you rage quit once or twice. by the end, once you've faught a tough mob for so long and finally defeated it, it actually feels like you learn a lot about the game. not only do you gain XP in game, but you gain experience on how to play the game irl. win win in the end.

This post has been edited by Sammehmander Rake: 21 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#119 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

Heh yeah, I finally put together a decent tactic for them, but the first kill took me more than 8 minutes. Second one went a lot faster.

As for level, I finished Act I at level 12, so... you're not doing that bad, I think! As for XP, it's mostly gained from quests, drastically so from the main plotline.

#120 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Spoiler

"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users