Malazan Empire: Side Jobs - an anthology of all the Dresden short stories - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Side Jobs - an anthology of all the Dresden short stories Coming in Late 2010

#41 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

I didn't realize AFTERMATH was that long. Plus i actually bought BACK-UP, so it was formatted as a book.

@QT - you're entirely normal(ish).

Now we enter the long harsh period where i have to watch for AFTERMATH spoilers, because i've already read everything else in SIDE JOBS and my copy won't arrive for a little while. Oh, the dresdencrack withdrawal... it ITCHES.

On the bright side i can then read the entire CODEX ALARA series start to finish.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2010 - 06:55 PM, said:

I didn't realize AFTERMATH was that long. Plus i actually bought BACK-UP, so it was formatted as a book.

@QT - you're entirely normal(ish).

Now we enter the long harsh period where i have to watch for AFTERMATH spoilers, because i've already read everything else in SIDE JOBS and my copy won't arrive for a little while. Oh, the dresdencrack withdrawal... it ITCHES.

On the bright side i can then read the entire CODEX ALARA series start to finish.

Part of me is VERY jealous that you get to read CODEX for the first time. The first one is like Storm Front, the second amps it up a bit and is like Fool Moon (I mean the story structure and one offness of the plots)...and then CURSOR'S FURY comes along and it will whip you ass with how kickass awesome it is....by the end of which I was experiencing what I could only deem as CODEXcrack withdrawal that made me hike out in a snowstorm to get CAPTAIN'S FURY.

Enjoy!!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Plus i actually bought BACK-UP, so it was formatted as a book.

Well, I checked Backup out from the library in book format, so there. Yeah, it's like 70 pages, but there's not a lot on those pages.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 26 October 2010 - 08:58 PM, said:

Plus i actually bought BACK-UP, so it was formatted as a book.

Well, I checked Backup out from the library in book format, so there. Yeah, it's like 70 pages, but there's not a lot on those pages.

did SIDE JOBS include the rather sweet Mignola art?

#45 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

I just read the Post "changes" short story,

had some time to kill before a movie so I sat down in Barnes and nobles and read it...

From Murphy's point of view... it was ok... I wont spoil it...

I enjoyed a brief description of Harry from someone elses point of view...

Did Thomas get his own short story? I think I remember reading the start of one but now I cant remember if i finished it or if it really ever even happened.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#46 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:39 AM

Having just started Changes (yes, I know I was only up to White Night 4 days ago ;)), will I have missed out on much reading the short stories now? Would it be like reading all the Erikson novels then going back to NoK?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#47 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

View PostMTS, on 27 October 2010 - 02:39 AM, said:

Having just started Changes (yes, I know I was only up to White Night 4 days ago :)), will I have missed out on much reading the short stories now? Would it be like reading all the Erikson novels then going back to NoK?

They are mostly irrelevant to the main plot so you have missed very little.

However they are referenced now and then (rarely) in the later books so some things doesn't make as much sense without them. Some of them are also kinda nice such as the Gard one or Marcone one even if Butcher is a lot better in the novel formate.

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

View PostMTS, on 27 October 2010 - 02:39 AM, said:

Having just started Changes (yes, I know I was only up to White Night 4 days ago :)), will I have missed out on much reading the short stories now? Would it be like reading all the Erikson novels then going back to NoK?

You're likely going to SPOIL a MAJOR event in CHANGES for yourself if you read AFTERMATH.
(i assume, not having read AFTERMATH yet))

#49 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

Heh I was in agony the whole time whether to jump ahead and read Aftermath or save it to last. I held out :)

#50 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

Just read through this, great anthology, aftermath was worth the price of the book on it's own, but the rest of the stories were pretty good too, especially back-up and heorot. It was good to see Harry from another point of view. One disappointment was that the marcone story even hand slipped out of the anthology since I last checked the contents, but other than that all good.

Oh and I skipped straight to aftermath, and I loved it :) Really looking forward to Ghost Story, we don't get much hints as to what is to happen next yet, but it looks like things are going to be really interesting.

#51 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

i can't recommend the 'Dark & Stormy' anthology it's in, but if you can get your hands on EVEN HAND i really REALLY recommend it. Butcher does Marcone's pov SO WELL.

#52 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

Bought yesterday, looking forward to it. :)

After Side Jobs, are there any other Dresden short stories (or stories in general) out there? I already have the Welcome to the Jungle GN.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#53 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

I don't think so, Side Jobs is the definitive anthology of all the short stories to date.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

View PostSombra, on 14 December 2010 - 01:54 PM, said:

Bought yesterday, looking forward to it. :)

After Side Jobs, are there any other Dresden short stories (or stories in general) out there? I already have the Welcome to the Jungle GN.

The Marcone one that is in Dark and Stormy Knights anthology, EVEN HAND, is not in SIDE JOBS...and well worth a read.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#55 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

View PostMTS, on 14 December 2010 - 02:36 PM, said:

I don't think so, Side Jobs is the definitive anthology of all the short stories to date.

Not true, it doesn't have the Marcone story.

#56 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

I tracked down and downloaded the even hand story in ebook form, and it was brilliant, well worth the effort to find it, shame it wasn't included in Side Jobs.

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

Just finished it....

SPOILERS
SPOILERS SIDE JOB SPOILERS
WILL SPOIL YOU
SPOILERS
FOZARE MUTHAFUCKAHS SPOILERS
SPOILERS

I had read most of these (only LOVE HURTS and AFTERMATH were new to me) over the past year via my local library, so only some of this book was new to me. Still, it's really great to have this all in a collection, even if it means i now have two versions of BACK-UP.

BACKUP actually remains my favourite of the collection. i think Butcher stretched himself a bit with Thomas' pov and it worked, i liked the White Court backstory and the way the story weaves itself around a Harry story so nicely that you're almost getting two stories in one. And the payoff at the end with the stygian was a nice touch, reminding us that at heart Thomas can be a fairly nasty creature.

The stories vary from great to good to Butcher-ok (ie: better than most urban fantasy but not his best work) but it's a good collection for the casual fan or the shaky drescrack addict who needed a fix until GHOST STORY is out. I think readers were horribly cheated by EVEN HAND being left out, and suspect that DARK AND STORMY KNIGHTS was just too new to release the strongest story in that book elsewhere. Too bad tho', especially since AFTERMATH builds on EVEN HAND, albeit sideways and minor.

AFTERMATH... i appreciate Butcher trying out Murphy's voice as a narrator but this didn't work nearly as well for me. I think i just preferred dresden's perspective on Murphy over the reverse. Her 'men are martians and this is how they speak' thing read more silly than clever.
It was still a fun story, i enjoyed Murphy and Will's interaction and the other bits (Marcone, the ref to the Sword, Marcone, the Fomor baddies...), and the finale was a great great action scene - especially in showing how thoroughly Murphy is out of her league in dealing with the supernatural yet still manages to handle it - and no matter how i felt about the story, the DAREDEVIL reference and 'Justice League Chicago' were too funny not to enjoy.

BEST LINE: HEOROT - "I hit him in the fire extinguisher." *wince*

BEST OTHER LINE: from SOMETHING BORROWED, paraphrased - "I let out a battle cry. To an uninformed observer it may have seemed like an unmanly scream of pure terror but trust me it was a battle cry.".

BEST CHARACTER IN NEED OF A FREQUENT VICTIM REWARDS CARD: Georgia, who was damsel in distress not once but twice (SOMETHING and AFTERMATH) - tho to be fair she revenged herself nicely each time. Screw you Jenny Greenteeth.

BEST SIDEKICK WHO WASN'T MURPHY OR MOUSE - Gard in HEOROT was awesome. Extra cool points for the "Though he does like us to call him 'Daddy' sometimes." line. I also loved her trying to recruit Muprhy in AFTERMATH. On some level i think Butcher really really likes having a Valkyrie in his supporting cast.

BEST FUNNY MOMENT HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING: AFTERMATH - Gard passing Hendricks $20 when Murphy figured out Marcone's source in less than a minute.

BEST PURELY HARRY MOMENT: Harry losing his cool with Georgia's step-mom in SOMETHING BORROWED.

BEST FLASHBACK: RESTORATION..., Murphy jumping on the troll's back with a nightstick. Oh, how far we've come...

BEST HUMEROUS FORESHADOWING OF BAD THINGS: poor Kirby... he really did have a big ugly target on him going into TURNCOAT didn't he?

- Abyss, ...just finished it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users