• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So what do you think of NoK?

#81 User is offline   T3st0 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:52 AM

I just finished this myself the other night.

I have to say I am not overly thrilled about this book. I was kinda expecting a little more information on the whole K&D ascension which bummed me out.

However I did really enjoy the extra info on Dassem as well as the Temper story line. Like most people I didn't care too much for Kiska.

I was having some major trouble with ICE's writing style, but it either changed half way through or I just got used to it. But it was a tough read until about half the book.

All in all though, I'm glad I read it. As a die hard Malazan fan, I will take anything I can get :p

#82 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Was dissapointed after finishing it because I had expected it to be on the same level as the other Malazan works. Which, sadly, it ain't.

I found Ian's writing style difficult to digest and quite confusing at times. I had to reread a few scenes because they didn't make much sense at first. New experience, because I haven't had to do that often before. Didn't like Kiska that much and found Tayschrenn's acceptance of her and sharing most of his knowledge with her hard to accept, and Temper got on my nerves as well towards the end. What is he, Superman? Can't count the lifethreating situations he survived, shrugging his wounds off afterwards and continuing on towards the next danger. Could barely stand after his adventure in the yard of the DH, and Corinn "gasped" seeing he could actually still talk and what does he do? He attacks a Jaghut. Come on.

I thoroughly hope RotCG is much better, because it's more than twice as long and I paid too much to leave it unread. And who knows, maybe NoK will be more enjoyable upon a reread.

This post has been edited by Rhand: 18 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

#83 User is offline   o-guy 

• Recruit

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

I found the book disappointing. I read this book solely because I wanted to know more about Kellanved and Dancers ascension, and Dassem’s disappearance. I honestly think we were not given any new relevant information regarding K and D. We were basically told surly tried to kill them on the night they ascended (which we already knew and did not get to see) and that they entered the dead house to ascend (again something we already knew and still have not received any explanation as to how that actually works). I guess on the Dassem front we were appeased, but I think it could have been done so much better.

I didn’t care about the two main characters of the book until the last quarter of the book, so all in all I would say I was mostly bored.

#84 User is offline   Mustard Tiger 

• Recruit

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

I liked getting some new info on the world, especially in regards to Dassem. It was also refreshing to read a Malazan story with just a handful of characters and plot-lines to keep track of rather than dozens or hundreds.

But his writing was just not up to the high level that Erikson has set, which made it the worst written of the collective series, but maybe the most readable (as it was so easy to breeze through).

#85 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

I was blown away by this book when it first got published in the US. I really enjoyed the fast-pace and smaller cast of characters. I still like this about Esselmont's novels compared to Erickson's writings. Ian's are leaner, more focused, and in general more action oriented.

This post has been edited by Deck of Dragons: 12 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

#86 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Just picked up the Ebook version. Looking forward to the read and glad I read some of this thread RE expectations and writing style. Obviously I'd never expect ICE's writing to be identical to SE's but it's still nice to be able to prepare mentally and not be prejudiced going into it.

Good comments in here. Will post when I get through it.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#87 User is offline   CrossSide 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

I'm reading NoK and almost finished it. For me it's a huge disappointment. Are The Return of the Crimson Guard, Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre, Throne any better? Because I don't want my higly rated Crimson Guard opinion getting spoiled by bad, childish writing.

This post has been edited by CrossSide: 21 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

#88 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

You might as well read them and find out. What else you gonna do with your time, cure cancer?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#89 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostCrossSide, on 21 March 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

I'm reading NoK and almost finished it. For me it's a huge disappointment. Are The Return of the Crimson Guard, Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre, Throne any better? Because I don't want my higly rated Crimson Guard opinion getting spoiled by bad, childish writing.

What's the best Malazan book? Some people will tell you DG, or MoI. Others MT or TtH, or TBH.

Same thing with ICE; I think most of us agree his writing gets better with each book. But some think RotCG is better than any of the second-half MBotF books, while others hate it with the fire of a thousand burning suns. Some think OST was the best book he's written; others the worst. As worry said, you might as well read 'em yourself and form your own opinion.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#90 User is offline   CrossSide 

• Recruit

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ok thanks a lot for your reply. I am/was just scared that my opinion of the Crimson Guard will change because his writing style. But I have to see myself indeed.

#91 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

The scene with Dassem fighting in Y'Ghatan and when Temper and Furrule bid farwell to Dassem was one of the best scenes I've read. Great book. Now on to The Bonehunters Yay!
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#92 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Totally dug NoK. Likeable characters for the most part (kiska was kind of annoying), quick story progression, much lighter writing style than SE. A pleasurable read overall.

I just finished reading this last week (my first ICE book) and was pleasantly surprised to see ICE deal with so many important stories that were hinted at but never explicitly told in the main MBotF books...like Surly's rise to empressness, kellavend and dancer's entry into the DH, who the hell Temper was, Ultor's departure from the Malazan army, some more hints as to the nature of shadow...just so much cool stuff.

I won't get into it right away, but after finishing NoK, the book I am looking most forward to reading (on my long list) is Crimson Guard.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#93 User is offline   Paleman 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

I've read NoK three times and I enjoyed it immensely each time.

ICE is not SE so there are obvious differences in writing styles however my approach has always been content based rather than style based ie. it's the story itself that holds my attention and not the delivery. ICE (and SE) have often been criticised for their writing styles and delivery by sometimes quite vitriolic posters but to be honest everyone has different expectations and therefore I would suggest that if you're a Malazan fan then read all of the books yourself to form your own opinion rather than depend on others' sometimes warped and self serving diatribes. :killingme:

#94 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Loved it. Not as in depth, but then it in no, NO, way should be. This book is dealing with two people, two wildly different people, over one night. The pace was exciting and i actually thought that the lack of direct showing of Kel and Dancers ascending did them credit. We know it happens, we know when it happens and we know that Surly knows and thus lies her ass off to the public. I thought the choice to only hear the fight with Dancer and the Claw was superb, i needed no description to imagine that thank you very much. And thus from what we know of them i am very happy with this novel :rolleyes:

#95 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostCrossSide, on 21 March 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

They are more dense and multifaceted yes. Although I think your seeing Nok all wrong. its a quick fire action novel over one night, not a long drawn out multi hued behemoth of a campaign which requires a lot of philosophy and analogy amongst the countless plot twists. Just my two cents, but I believe Nok is a brilliant little novel.

#96 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

half-way down to NoK, just curious, as i was reading, there was this flashback on the Old Guard and the High Mages of the Empire by Temper which showed A'karonys(sp?) Night Chill and BEDURIAN?
is it just a typo or what? i believe its just a typo, he couldn't have made a mistake like that, so i guess that would be Bellurdan, the Thelomen Skull-Crusher right?

fixed, it was bedurian, that was my own typo, hehe,

This post has been edited by yuna_anomander25: 26 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#97 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

You're right, it's just a typo. Some versions of the ICE books are full of them apparently.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#98 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

at first i thought he had introduced a new character from the past like the Sword guys, then i read it again to confirm, and he was introduced as the Giant BEDURIAN, so i thought it must be Bellurdan, and as his companions are the same as those from the Enfilade at Pale, though i must say i'm a little disappointed, oh well, we all make mistakes,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#99 User is offline   Ivanr the Deliverer 

• Recruit

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

Night of Knives was the first Malazan book I read. I had wanted to start reading the Malazan Empire, and I just happened to see it in a used book store in Dundas Ontartio, so I purchased it. It may have been a strange introduction to the series, as I had never read SE at that time before,but I really enjoyed it.

#100 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Long-dead thread I know but I just finished the book and quite enjoyed it. Very straightforward setup compared to SE's books which isn't necessarily a horrible thing, atleast as a change of pace. The story itself moves along fairly briskly. Lots of cool stuff in there. First Dassem sighting! Stormriders!! Possible first sighting of pre-ascension Kel and Dancer (I think)!!! Me likey all ze cool stuff in this series in case you can't tell!!!!

ICE's prose is fine but there are times when you think he could've set a particular scene up better. That's to be expected from a first-time author I suppose and I'm hopeful he'll improve in that regard.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users