• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gem Windcaster on Mafia and Brainz....

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Thank you Gem! Posted Image

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?
I was going through the English fantasy section at my local library from a-z, and naturally the section with the SE caught my eye. I had just forced myself through a horrid piece of fantasy by a female author I can't remember the name of. The reason I got excited by the Malazan series was because there was a bunch of really thick books standing right there, and I always love reading series.

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?
At some point I googled SE and the series on teh interwebs, I think it might have been after I had finished Bonehunters and there were no more books released at the time - since I had read all the series up to that point all in a wondrous straight consecutiveness, I had OD'd on reading intelligent fantasy and wanted MOAR. Malazan Empire seemed a cool place, so I joined.

3) How did you choose your user name?
I wanted something I usually don't use for internet forums, so I chose the name of a fictional character from one of my hopefully future fantasy stories. Also I thought it had a nice ring to it, and I knew many would be picking names from the books and that all the really cool ones were already taken...

4) Do you remember your first post? What was it and who responded?
I think I might have posted in the Bonehunter forum first, but I don't remember what it was or who responded. I do remember the first post I got rep for though - it was a post in the discussion forum about the Iraq war, iirc, and I got lots of positive feedback from that post.

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?
I think I probably have different connections with many members, but probably none that deep. Which is probably my fault because I usually keep a distance between me and people on the webs. I do feel that being Abyss apprentice is very special though, but probably very weird too. Funnily enough I feel a connection to Terez, but it's probably one sided. Other than that I'd say that I feel connected to my mafia brothers and sister - it's a very bonding activity (and strangely violent, but that's another story ).

6) Would you refer to yourself as a "nurturing Earth mother"?
Maybe as a side of me, but it depends on how you define 'nurture'. I do feel a responsibility towards people I meet, especially on the net, but not in the way people would expect I think. This responsibility is twofold - intellectual and compassionate. I am something as strange as an analyzing empath. I use both instinct and reason to deal with the world and people I meet, almost extremely so. This means I would feel the need someone has, then I accost them with my ideas that I think would help. Needless to say people either a. get scared and run or b. get pissed off. And as an empath I pick up on both those feelings and get very confused. This is why I work very hard at keeping my instinct to help in check most of the time. 'Earth mother' wise I do like children though, I feel they are easier to deal with than adults.

7) Any forum regrets, or arguments you wish you'd avoided?
I try not to have regrets, instead I do my best to learn from situations I end up in. I get pissed off at myself when or if I go for a cheap shot in an argument; I hate when that happens. I would never regret having an argument, but if I would regret anything, it would be the execution.

8) Your profile has an insane number of views. Why do you think this is so?
I hadn't noticed actually. I would guess it has something to do with the fact that I'm female. I honestly don't know. I do stick my neck out on occasion, so maybe people are curious. Seriously though I don't know.

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life?
Abyss, although that would be scary. I wouldn't mind meeting people like Bubba, bent or Tiste - Tapper maybe. Honestly though, Hetan seems to be very cool, and mal. Dude, there's a lot of people I wouldn't mind meeting. I don't have a particular need to meet anyone though, due to the distancing thing I've got going. But yeah, there are a lot of really cool people around here that I respect.

10) You have to give up Abyss or Mafia. Which do you choose?
I'd give up Mafia, without blinking. The continuous work towards world domination and bacon is a life calling. Also, Brainzz.

11) If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?
Dust of Dreams, because I haven't read it yet. *hangs head in shame*

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?
If the name Apsalar really is derived from the name of the Swedish town Uppsala, as I've imagined. I have to know.

13) Who is you favorite character from the series?
It's a tie between Ganoes and BAD, but I don't think that is a fair question. I have a whole bunch of favorites, and they all deserve their own little shrine of love. Fiddler, Tehol, Apsalar...I could go on and on.

14) The ladies of the forum seem to be incredible at alcohol consumption. Can you handle your drink and what's your poison of choice?
I don't consume alcohol at all, and I've never been drunk. The only thing I've consumed that was even close to an alcoholic beverage was an apple juicy thing with bubbles they sell at the grocery store. But I doubt it counts. Possibly some rum filled chocolate pralines. Don't think that counts either. I do love bacon though.

15) Who wins?
Do you even have to ask? Abyss! BRAIIINNZZZ!

16) Is there anything that you absolutely cannot abide by? Something that makes you angry, just thinking about it?
Stupidity. I almost wrote ignorance, but sometimes you can be ignorant without being stupid about it. Also, any violence and/or abuse against people that can't defend themselves make me incredibly angry.

17) Do you do any creative writing yourself?
I have a couple of ideas that I develop constantly in my head, I even dream about it sometimes, but I rarely write anything down these days - mostly it's a time issue. But I owe it to my 13 year old self, who declared she would be an author, to try writing at some point and finish a book.

18) When not reading MBotF, what are you typically curling up with?
The latest thing I read fiction wise was a Swedish sci-fi poem by Harry Martinson called Aniara. Besides that I read programming books, and I also love the Swedish translation of the Japanese Manga One piece. I really don't read as much as I would like to these days.

19) Do you keep a personal library, or do the books just cycle through your possession?
I do own some books, although I don't buy that many books right now, but I intend to keep a library of a more collection standard at some point.

20) Please bare one random little known fact about yourself for the peanut gallery please.
I love singing, and I can play a little piano, although it was a long time ago I played now.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:17 AM

Great interview Gem! I'd always wondered where your name came from.

View PostShinrei, on 22 February 2010 - 11:16 PM, said:

Other than that I'd say that I feel connected to my mafia brothers and sister - it's a very bonding activity (and strangely violent, but that's another story ).

Sister singular, huh? Would that be me or Tapper Posted Image

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

Engage favoritism engine!
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:39 AM

View PostD, on 23 February 2010 - 12:17 AM, said:

Other than that I'd say that I feel connected to my mafia brothers and sister - it's a very bonding activity (and strangely violent, but that's another story ).

Actually that is a typo, meant sisters. :)

This post has been edited by Gem Windcaster: 23 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

Nice interview, Gem! And....

Read Dust of Dreams pronto!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:20 AM

You do know that now her profile views will skyrocket from people going to check her profile views?
Otherwise good interview.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#7 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:43 AM

She is so far ahead of most people, it won't matter.

What will be interesting is, can anyone ever catch HD? If we had a "profile views" war, he has a huge headstart.

I think it's funny that she would be scared to meet Abyss. I would LOVE to meet Abyss. If he comes to Japan, and doesn't tell me, I'll probably have no choice but to commit seppuku.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#8 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

Not to sound pessimistic here Shin, but Abyss probably would.
He seems to maintain a complete separation between web and RL.
Then again he may have changed over the last few years.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#9 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

That makes me really sad for some reason.

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

As someone who met everyone going to Chicago for the first time on the way or in Chicago to hang out with them for for basically two straight days, it can be pretty terrifying to think about.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

Let me put it this way.
While I may be titled the International Malazan of Mystery, chances are everyone knows more about me in RL than Abyss in RL.
If you think I'm careful about my RL information you just try and find some on Abyss. Other than living in Eastern Canada I don't think you'll be able to find too much.

Though as I said he may have changed or he may indeed make an exception if he goes to another country to meet up with people (you know just like SE, touring England but never the Homeland).

Anyway, this thread isn't about Abyss it's about Gem, who follows Abyss.

This post has been edited by Darkwatch: 23 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:35 AM

View PostDarkwatch, on 23 February 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

Let me put it this way.
While I may be titled the International Malazan of Mystery, chances are everyone knows more about me in RL than Abyss in RL.
If you think I'm careful about my RL information you just try and find some on Abyss. Other than living in Eastern Canada I don't think you'll be able to find too much.

Though as I said he may have changed or he may indeed make an exception if he goes to another country to meet up with people (you know just like SE, touring England but never the Homeland).

Anyway, this thread isn't about Abyss it's about Gem, who follows Abyss.

But it's so much more fun to just make stuff up instead!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

I've got it!

Gem IS Abyss!

-you didn't see that one comin', didja?

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:44 AM

Go play pachinko, Shin.

Here's something I don't know about you Gem, that I'm curious about, maybe others are too: What are you studying/what is your preferred profession?

#15 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

20 + questions with a forum member.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#16 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:52 AM

Some people have been willing to use these as vehicles for more information. If Gem doesn't want to answer of course she doesn't have to, but if she's willing to answer some things, perhaps she'll answer more and that's something I'm interested in after reading many of her posts in the DB.

#17 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

I never said it was a bad thing H.D.
I was just joking.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#18 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

Good interview :) get reading DoD, it won't disappoint!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#19 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

View PostD, on 23 February 2010 - 12:17 AM, said:

Me, of course! Wait, what?

this blatant self promotion and gender confusion was brought to you by Tapper :)

On a more serious note, great interview, thanks to both of you, and those of you who provided questions!
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#20 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

Do you hate dawdlers, Gem?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users