• You cannot reply to this topic

Martin, Jordan, and Erikson

#101 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 25 March 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostSlick Mongoose, on 24 March 2010 - 05:29 PM, said:

One of my main reasons for liking WoT is the subversion of the farmboy-fated-to-save-the-world trope. Yes, he is, but he's also fated to go insane and destroy the world.

But we all know that's not going to happen. At the end of the series he will be alive, sane, and the world will be saved.

Alas, I fear you're right.
"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#102 User is offline   globish rip 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

I wasn't even talking about RJ specifically, but as a general response to the fad of subverting clichés. It's sometimes warranted, but often it's the author's excuse for being unoriginal.

this is dumm. i dont really think this is a fad as much as just a reaction to the postmodern condition or w/e u want to call x thousand years of western culture & narrative cliches i mean "there are only seven plots in of all literature" &c

like w/r/t to the ending of wot - its hard to say whats less "cliched" to have the hero die a tragic death or to have him live triumphant. the "subversion" of the traditional heroic narrative is already old hat itself. the only thing u can ask as a critic/reader/human is that story is well-told and the ending earned: that its consonant w/the work as a whole that its affecting that its fully-realized. the baker comparison is kind of interesting to me bcuz i though the lotr stuff in the judging eye was really dumm but thought that w/ jordan its okay. partly i guess bcuz with jordan there are all these deliberate echoes of arthurian legend and celtic myth and world history already so the homage/rip-off makes sense in context. it fits better in a novel that is concerned/interested in history & myth & the familiar. baker's world is kinda its own thing even w/ the crusades stuff having that extended sequence was just really wtf.

fwiw one of my favorite thing about the wot was jordan's corny made-up swearing. so rad!

#103 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Indeed.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#104 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

OK, seriously, I'm not fucking kidding, stop using shortcuts when you make posts. What the hell is w/r/t? with reference to? But you put 'w/r/t to' so it isn't that. It's a message board, there's no need to use so little letters, it doesn't charge you extra for longer posts. That's all I want. I can live with the lack of capitals or punctuation but for the love of fuck just be coherent. At this point I don't know if your member title is a resigned observation or a mission statement.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#105 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

I forced myself to read that post. I agree with most of it, but yeah, I'm thinking his handle is a mission statement, with pure laziness at its root.

Translated to English:

englaisy said:

With reference to the ending of WoT, it's hard to say what is less "clichéd": to have the hero die a tragic death, or to have him live triumphant. The "subversion" of the traditional heroic narrative is already old hat, itself. The only thing you can ask, as a critic/reader/human, is that story is well-told and the ending earned, that it's consonant with the work as a whole, that it's affecting, that it's fully-realized. The Bakker comparison is kind of interesting to me, because I thought the LotR stuff in The Judging Eye was really dumb, but I thought that with Jordan, it was okay. Partly, I guess, because with Jordan, there are all these deliberate echoes of Arthurian legend and Celtic myth and world history already, so the homage/rip-off makes sense in context. It fits better in a novel that is concerned/interested in history & myth & the familiar. Bakker's world is kinda its own thing. Even with the crusades stuff, having that extended sequence was just really wtf.

For what it's worth, one of my favorite things about WoT was Jordan's corny made-up swearing. So rad!

ahhhh...much better.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#106 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

I just assumed it was troll bait.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#107 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Now, now children. No reason to get so antagonistic.

#108 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

View PostTerez, on 25 March 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

I still have hopes that he will remain dead at the end of the series, but I am leaning more toward Nynaeve ripping him out. That's probably the most likely scenario. He's definitely going to die, though.

If I believed your theory that RJ subverts cliches instead of wallowing in them, I might buy this. As is though, I think Rand is going to make it because that is what happens in epic farmboy fantasy.

@eng lng rip: We saw your username, we get it. Now would you kindly drop the textspeak? I think you're going to find a lot of people just blocking you so we don't have to see your posts. It's a shame, because you have some good thoughts, but i can't be bothered to wade through the paragraph of adolescent text slang to get to it. I assume your computer has a full qwerty keyboard, please us it.

Don't forget, we have to uphold our reputation as a snobby elitist forum, so we're going to insist on actual English if you expect to be taken seriously.

This post has been edited by Raymond Luxury Yacht: 26 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Error: Signature not valid

#109 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

It's not really a theory Ray.

There it is.

#110 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 25 March 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

But we all know that's not going to happen. At the end of the series he will be alive, sane, and the world will be saved.

True, but in most 'callow youth of apparently humble birth' fantasies the farmboy/servant suffers some personal losses but generally wins through (like Simon in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, or Pug in Magician). Rand's already been through many more problems than those guys and caused vastly more deaths, including innocents and children (most notably in the most recent book). It's not like he's gone Paul Atreides and unleashed the Fremen Aiel to genocidally jihad the ass off the continent, but Rand has already commited massive mistakes along the way. That, at least, is a minor subversion.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#111 User is offline   Chiggerflea 

• Recruit

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

I'll answer this post in terms of their approaches to female characters.

Martin - There is the veneer of having conventional female stereotypes in feudal roles (princesses, queens, ladies, maids) and there are also stand-out exceptions (Arya, Brienne). Such women are some of the focal points in the narrative. In general, even chafing under a patriarchal system, many women are quite plucky and as underhanded as the men.

Erikson - Gender stereotypes are thrown out the door. Women in the military are as common and as varied as men. Female characters are in positions of power as much as male ones, and run the gamut from mysterious (a conventionally feminine trait) to overt in personality. Gender is almost incidental and irrelevant to any kind of plot details.

Jordan - Women generally cross their arms under their breasts and sniff at the men. *Sniff!*

As much as most people believe the WOT pales in comparison to Erikson, Jordan was my introduction to the fantasy genre as a teenager. Erikson is no doubt prohibitively too sophisticated for some people, so it's all about market and audience.

#112 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

I stopped reading Erikson at TTH. I just no longer care what happens.

Same with RJ. Dropped him at Winter's Heart (I think). Too many threads, too little forward movement. And the whole braid-tugging, skirt-smoothing stuff which just got cringe-inducing.

I'll probably see ASOIAF to the end, but then again, maybe not. Martin's a great writer (better than SE or RJ, IMO) but he may have outsmarted himself. That at least was SE's genius - keep the overall weave loose and you can write yourself out of any little corner.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#113 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Two books from the end and you give up?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#114 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 April 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Two books from the end and you give up?

Yep. Maybe sometime down the road I'll pick it back up. But TTH just left me cold.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#115 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

OK, I'm curious. Which parts?

#116 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 April 2010 - 07:13 PM, said:

OK, I'm curious. Which parts?

I knew you were gonna ask. TBH, I don't remember. It's been a while since I read it. But maybe that tells you something right there. I can recall bits I liked from GOTM through RG. TTH, nothing.

#117 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Even the ending? Blimey.

Still, I think it may improve on a reread whenver you can be bothered. And if not, DoD is a different experience, and by then TCG will be out.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 19 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

#118 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Sorry. It's part of the reason I don't come around much anymore.

#119 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

It soured you on the Erikson experience enough to stop wanting to come here? (why am I repeating what you just said I sound like a retard)

It's not like there isn't a thread for criticising the series somewhere on the board, dissenting opinons are allowed etc.

#120 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

And there's always the Inn and the DB! And all those other non-book places I don't go. Yeah.

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users