• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Martin, Jordan, and Erikson

#121 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Dust of Dreams is a continuation of Reaper's Gale, so if RG interested you then I don't see why DoD wouldn't. I don't know, giving up after one bad book is just something I can't fathom.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 19 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

#122 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 April 2010 - 07:49 PM, said:

It soured you on the Erikson experience enough to stop wanting to come here?

"Soured" is a bit strong, maybe. Let's just say I don't feel I've much to contribute to the discussion. (And yet I keep posting in this thread...)
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#123 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

It's OK Longhorn, we still love you.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#124 User is offline   globish rip 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

as annoying as it is having to wait i really dont understand why erikson hasnt slowed down the pace of his writing and worked on tightening up the last few novels. there seems to be a consistent habit for flaws in a series to magnify over time and giving himself some distance in btw books might allow him to see what works and what doesnt more clearly

#125 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 19 April 2010 - 07:53 PM, said:

giving up after one bad book is just something I can't fathom.

Not to get pedantic or self-pitying, but when your pleasure reading time is confined to the 30 minutes between when your kids pass out for the night and you pass out for the night, you want that time to be quality. Long gone are the days I see a book/series through to the end, no matter what. Just not enough time...
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#126 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Earplugs, duct tape. Problem solved.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#127 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

View Posteng lng rip, on 19 April 2010 - 08:11 PM, said:

as annoying as it is having to wait i really dont understand why erikson hasnt slowed down the pace of his writing and worked on tightening up the last few novels. there seems to be a consistent habit for flaws in a series to magnify over time and giving himself some distance in btw books might allow him to see what works and what doesnt more clearly

He's going to be slowing his pace down by about 50% after The Crippled God comes out, for the two trilogies after that.

#128 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

I think his original contract with Bantam called for a book per year in order for him to get his full (and still record-breaking) advance, so he has to churn out the books quickly to get paid. That's why he can slow down after The Crippled God, as that marks the completion of his original 1998 contract with Transworld Bantam and he's onto the new contract (which specifies a book every 18 months, I understand).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#129 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

View PostWerthead, on 20 April 2010 - 10:32 PM, said:

I think his original contract with Bantam called for a book per year in order for him to get his full (and still record-breaking) advance, so he has to churn out the books quickly to get paid. That's why he can slow down after The Crippled God, as that marks the completion of his original 1998 contract with Transworld Bantam and he's onto the new contract (which specifies a book every 18 months, I understand).

His contract specifies when he has to come out with books? Also how much was it? I'm curious that it was record breaking before he even started coming out with books. That's interesting. Its too bad that little caveat wasn't added into grrm's contract.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#130 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 21 April 2010 - 12:08 AM, said:

His contract specifies when he has to come out with books? Also how much was it? I'm curious that it was record breaking before he even started coming out with books. That's interesting. Its too bad that little caveat wasn't added into grrm's contract.

£650,000 for ten books, which was about $900,000 in 1998 money (or about twice the previous record for a debut fantasy author, previously held by Terry Goodkind). GRRM's contract for ASoIaF was huge, maybe even in the same ballpark, but was only for three books. What the renegotiations after ASoS entailed, I don't know, but if there was a bonus for speedy completion, I think we can safely say that went out the window many years ago :D The cheque he got from HBO must have more than made up for it though.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 21 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#131 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

Looking at events, I'm pretty sure the speedy completion part for GRRM was only for the original 3 books ;p He must have had a lot of bargaining power after the success he received there and no doubt put it to good use. 10 years on for both authors, I wonder if publishers are willing to make the same leap of faith these days considering the cases of Rothfuss, Lynch or on the flip side Abercrombie?
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#132 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

View PostParan, on 22 April 2010 - 01:09 AM, said:

Looking at events, I'm pretty sure the speedy completion part for GRRM was only for the original 3 books ;p He must have had a lot of bargaining power after the success he received there and no doubt put it to good use. 10 years on for both authors, I wonder if publishers are willing to make the same leap of faith these days considering the cases of Rothfuss, Lynch or on the flip side Abercrombie?

Well, GRRM took nine years to write the first three books, so they were never being produced at an Erikson pace. However, Martin did sell the series a lot later (when the first book, or what would become the first book, was pretty much done and he was well into the second), allowing the first three to come out relatively quickly. This is similar to Jordan's situation, where he was early in writing Book 3 when Book 1 came out, allowing the first six books to come out at yearly intervals before they caught up with his writing.

His plan was to put out Book 4 in 2002 or 2003 and the rest at 2-3 year intervals, something reiterated in many post-ASoS interviews, so I'm guessing any timeframe in the contract was on that basis, and if so he quite spectacularly failed to hit them. Whether there were bonuses attached to the timeframe, or the timeframe formed part of the contract for the advance, is unknown.

Publishers are mostly concerned with getting paid. If Rothfuss' second, Lynch's third or ASoIaF's fifth book come out and are big sellers, the publishers aren't too concerned that it took four or five years for them to come out, although they'd prefer it to be quicker.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 22 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

#133 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

I still haven't finished DoD. In fact, I haven't read ANYTHING since that book came out. I haven't gone this long without reading a new book since I learned to read. I have too much respect for the series to start something else before I finish it , but somehow can't get motivated to read. I've been on page 372 for months now. It's odd, because I actually was enjoying the book more than the last two. The series has ground to a halt for me. The real question is what I'm going to do if the next book comes out and I still haven't finished this one.

@Terez: OK, not a theory, then an opinion. It is NOT fact that he subverts cliches. It is fact that he attempts to do so, but determining if he succeeded or not is matter of personal opinion. I lean towards the "No, not subverted" camp. Farmboy fantasy is still farmboy fantasy even if the farmboy has a rough time of it. I really don't want to argue about this though, I know you love RJ and have no desire to bait you, I just don't share the same opinions of him as you do.
Error: Signature not valid

#134 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:07 AM

Beside that fact that both Erikson, and Martin have climbed above the average stagnant water which is your typical fantasy novel...I don't think they have very much in common. They have different writing styles, completely different storylines, and a completely different ways of delivering the story.

Jordan I think is overated...the reason I think he's so popular is because he's the reason so many of us (Not myself included) got into fantasy in the first place. I read the first book in his series and wasn't impressed...so I haven't gone back for more. I have better things to read :Urb:
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#135 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

eng lng rip public/style_images/malazan/user_popup.png

Less talking LYK DIS and more actually wriiting the actual words please.
I so wanted to read this thread as I like Erikson and Martin. But everytime I saw your posts I couldn't help but think. "Damn this guy failed english and had to stop."
Is it too much to ask that you spend that extra second to write the full word?
and

there seems to be a consistent habit for flaws in a series to magnify over time and giving himself some distance in btw books might allow him to see what works and what doesnt more clear
ly

in by the way books? Makes no sense.
I'm sorry guys if this breaks a rule or something but......y'know.

This post has been edited by Baudinsballs: 26 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

#136 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:02 AM

Hmm for me its:

Tier One Writers:
Martin, Erikson, Jordan,King<i loved it!>

Tier Two:

Bakker, Donaldson, Le Guin, Williams

Tier Three:

R.A. Salvadore and Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman.
I had to give DragonLance and Drizzt credit as these were authors I read first!
I could keep going as I am sure I left someone out.

Oh Martin is never going to finish if you haven't picked that up.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users