• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Dead (Redemption) Series AKA Rockstar's Grand Theft Equine

#381 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

Damn, I was hoping there was a way past those metal doors at the Doctor's office. I didn't want to hold up the doctor if I could avoid it. I was going to try and dynamite the door facing outside, but I guess that doesn't work.

A post on reddit reaffirms that you do indeed need to hold up the doctor. The post says there is no way around getting a wanted level and having to pay off your bounty though. There is the suggestion to go in with a different outfit, and with your bandanna covering your face; then grab the loot, escape and change back into your regular outfit. But many redditors replied that didn't work either because the Doctor's Office is right next to the jail. But your suggestion using a knife could be the way to go (I've crafted poisonous throwing knives, mwuuuuhahahaha!Posted Image). Get in, use deadeye and kill the baddie silently with poisonous knife, and then tie up the doctor. Then pick the place clean at your leisure and walk out like nothing happened. BTW, does holding up the doctor ruin the Doctor's Office going forward?

#382 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

Online isn't active yet.

#383 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 November 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Damn, I was hoping there was a way past those metal doors at the Doctor's office. I didn't want to hold up the doctor if I could avoid it. I was going to try and dynamite the door facing outside, but I guess that doesn't work.

A post on reddit reaffirms that you do indeed need to hold up the doctor. The post says there is no way around getting a wanted level and having to pay off your bounty though. There is the suggestion to go in with a different outfit, and with your bandanna covering your face; then grab the loot, escape and change back into your regular outfit. But many redditors replied that didn't work either because the Doctor's Office is right next to the jail. But your suggestion using a knife could be the way to go (I've crafted poisonous throwing knives, mwuuuuhahahaha!Posted Image). Get in, use deadeye and kill the baddie silently with poisonous knife, and then tie up the doctor. Then pick the place clean at your leisure and walk out like nothing happened. BTW, does holding up the doctor ruin the Doctor's Office going forward?

If you can get a wanted level from walking over a chicken with your horse, I'd say the dynamite is a bad idea! I'd like to give it a go but I'm walking around in Rhodes at the moment.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#384 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:56 AM

Any of you guys notice that bees' nest up in the tree outside the camp (where the camp guard is posted)? I took out my bow and thunked a couple of arrows into it, it didn't fall. The camp guard at the time asked me what the hell I was doing. The bees did start to swarm around Arthur and he swipes at them, but there is no damage to health.
Posted Image

#385 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

Uncle got his cheeks out at camp. The circumstances around which that occurred was absurd. He was having a discussion with the preacher and things escalated.
Posted Image

#386 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:17 AM

Never finished the first RDR, don't remember why. Finally wrapped it up today. Just purchased and started downloading 2. With my "amazing" internet service its calculated to take 44 hours to download.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#387 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:10 AM

http://youtu.be/cGpOwaH8whk

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 19 November 2018 - 05:12 AM

#388 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:39 AM

As I've been progressing with missions around camp, Abigail Marston appears with a quest requesting Arthur take Jack fishing. After finishing that mission, both Abigail and Jack are located in their tent. I can interact with them and everything. However, after doing the next mission and returning to camp, they are missing again. So, I guess the bug that has them disappear doesn't effect their missions in ch. 2? What a frustrating bug, I wish Rockstar would fix it.

Oh yeah, I also did a mission with John Marston where we scared some shepherds away from bringing sheep in to Valentine (was able to buy the Rolling Block sniper rifle on credit to satisfy one of the requirements for the missionPosted Image). We then rounded up the sheep and herded them into Valentine to collect the money. I accidently killed one of the sheep by trampling it with my horse (was too zealous to get the stray back with the group Posted Image). The buyer at the market was on to us and knew John and Arthur were not the legitimate shepherds, so he only paid us a portion the agreed to amount, booooooo!

Gained some insight into Arthur's and John's relationship. Things might be fraying.

#389 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:36 PM

I'm still around that point. I made a bit of a mess of the ensuing shootout through Valentine; and I've left Micah in prison for now.

There's just so much stuff to do elsewhere, I'm quite happy hunting, doing stranger missions, fishing, finding dinosaur bones and cards, and playing dominoes. I fed a murdered man to pigs, caught a female bounty who'd been killing locals, and was trying it on with Arthur all the way to jail. Then she was starting on the Sheriff, I had to hang around just to hear the conversation.

Last night I found a guy sitting by a campfire out on the plains. We sat and drank whiskey in the middle of a huge and very impressive thunderstorm, until he'd had enough and tipped slowly off his chair. I felt a bit bad for looting him after. But hey, gotta live.

Abigail and Jack reappeared for the mission, but they're gone in my camp again for now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#390 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

Wow, Saint Denis. Rode in for the first time as I had a perfect alligator skin and I wanted to sell it. Misty, low evening light, insects buzzing and town noises - I had headphones on and riding slowly through the streets, listening to all the different effects was such an atmospheric experience. Also it suddenly made Arthur look a bit out of place, riding a horse down paved streets, wearing scuffed hunting gear with an alligator skin draped over his horse.

I later went on foot through the alleys and streets, just taking it all in. It really is amazing. Bear in mind I've avoided spoilers and videos so far so this is all new stuff for me. Worth the wait though, the town and the surrounding swamp are completely different from the central plains area.

#391 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

I got back into RDR this week after finishing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'm still in chapter 4.

I've soured on this game a lot. Don't get me wrong it's a we'll crafted spectacle of a game. A great vision for a New/Old Western game. But the game just gets so tedious at times.

Can't run at camp so I don't really want to be there. Can't turn in pelts and animal carcasses up except for a few select places so I don't really want to bother Hunting. Any bandit stuff you pull attracts witnesses and bounties so I can't really be bothered to rob stage coaches or get into fights. Most of the challenges are weird and needlessly obtuse. Where the hell do I find 4 different kinds of berries?

I think I'm going to try to mainline the story but I can't stop myself from doing stranger stories and radiant stuff.

#392 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

When it feels tedious, it's time do some story.

At the moment, I'll put it on with an intended goal, like get a specific treasure, item for gang, legendary animal or whatever... and then spend a couple of hours getting side tracked on the way. When I eventually get there, I get whatever Im after (last night it was that herb that makes poison) then get waylaid exploring or running random missions on the way back.

On that note, I finally reached camp, can't find Javier anywhere to give him his damn herbs. I did get to see Saint Denis and bag some alligators though.

Hunting is way more lucrative if you steal a big wagon, then load it up with skins. You can get a spare horse to follow you too.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

#393 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Finished Chapter 6.

I feel like I need to mull this game over a bit. On the one hand playing through that ending, looking back at prior chapters, the way things fall out makes a lot of sense. On the other hand I just don't think I like this games story very much. Technically it's not bad, I just wasn't feeling any if it. The games pacing is
basically a flat line on a slight incline, instead of big peaks and valleys for me.

For the kind of stories Rockstar are telling now, I think they need to can some open world freedom and adopt Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monicas camera and scripted paths. Not sure that meshes with their engine and open world formula but something needs to change.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 24 November 2018 - 09:51 PM

#394 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:25 PM

Just started chapter 3. Been too flabbergasted and enamored by exploring to rush through it. Don't need to rush through and be the first one to comment on the game in totality, never been my thing. I let games 'come to me', happen organically as it were; never rush it, it makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
Huh, I'll be damned. I did not know there were lions in America around the turn of the 20th century. You learn something new everyday. J/K! You guys will find out (if you haven't already). Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#395 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:30 PM

In ch. 3 a fence appears (thankfully). I sold shit tons worth of wedding rings, pocket watches and belt buckles, and this after donating a lot of these over time to the camp as well. With the money I fully upgraded my camp. I can now fast travel to places from the camp.

#396 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:25 PM

There's a fence in Rhodes in chapter two, it's like a hut with a load of drunks rolling about among the chickens. I've been using that so far. Pretty much finished chapter 2 mission wise; may have to advance a bit before doing any more exploring.

#397 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

Oh snap!

Red Dead Online's beta starts tomorrow

#398 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:04 AM

https://goo.gl/images/BaBh92

#399 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:46 PM

Caption Contest
"Shakin' the dew off the lily."
OR
"Look Ma, no hands!"
Posted Image

#400 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:41 AM

Couldn't help checking out Online. It seems to be getting grief for having the same flaws as GTA online, but I don't have any experience of that, I'm just assuming that there's a grind for items and upgrades, and just when you start to enjoy something with a few other players, you get blown away by a trigger happy 15 yr old.

All I did was set up a character and start the online missions. Character creation seems to try to railroad you into making some sort of backwoods freak with wooden teeth; despite this I was able to make a reasonable looking red haired woman, with a look not dissimilar to Dolores from Westworld.

I was asked to take out a bandit camp - instead of shooting them up, I went in hard with a knife and cut them all down in about 30 seconds. It was fun being someone that's so different from Arthur. I'm pretty sure it will all go sour as soon as I meet any other players though - I'm not really a fan of online stuff.

In story mode - I stumbled on a train robbery. After killing those robbing it, I had a free train at my disposal! I took it for a ride around the map, blowing the whistle, stopping to clear my bounty, shoot a perfect Elk and other such stuff, returning to my train of dead passengers when finished.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 November 2018 - 10:48 AM

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users